Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I'm going to check out princess auto sometime next week and see if they have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

File sets are a rip because you never really need more than a triangle and a round. Maybe a half round. But any more than that is a waste of money.

I use my flat lots

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

OopsIpwntMyWaffles posted:

I apologize for my noobness, but I didn't know where else to ask, what happened to the Warhammer thread? I can't see to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3224113

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Im not sure if anyone here has done much of it. Ive dabbled, but I probably wouldnt be able to write a good tutorial.

What I would suggest is finding OSL tutorials on CMON and linking them here :v:

There was an OSL tutorial in the last WD.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Albino skinks might look good with a wash and coloured scales.

Click here for the full 303x1222 image.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 17, 2009

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

It would be interesting to try making it look like what would normally be a solid piece of carapace could separate to allow gaunts to exit. That way when they aren't coming out it would be protected.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Is the little dragon part of the kit?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

PV, how do you do your white on black?

amicable. Had to google what a soulgrinder was, but... #1

Tinweasel's spray booth is the best spray booth: http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tinweasel/spray_booth.html

My first :catholic: conversion:

Click here for the full 1000x563 image.

other side. He's holding the Plaque of Tepok btw.

These are day old. Added some detail to the staff and hat.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

Slowly working on my Trygon. This thing is a bitch to paint, so much model, so much more to paint :( Working up the 'skin' on the head to Menoth White Highlight atm.

This looks amazing, I love the orange. I might steal your colour scheme for mine :cthulhu:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

It's pretty simple (in theory).

Prime model.

Paint bleached bone, about a 2:3 ratio of water to paint. Make sure to get into the recesses too. Let dry.

Apply Gryphonne Sepia wash liberally. Let dry.

Mix up some watered down bleached bone, about 1:1 ratio of water to paint or higher. You'll want to cover the raised areas and some of the shallower recesses. Brush technique is important here, it takes a little bit of practice to find out how to get a nice even spread. What I do is dip my brush in the paint, unload some of the water on a napkin (just lay the tip of the brush against it and let the excess water bleed onto the napkin). Then I paint with the tip of the brush, but mentally it's more like you are just spreading the water around rather than laying paint down. The trick to this is that the water will spread the paint around a little bit and even the surface out, removing brush strokes.

You do have to watch for the paint to pool in some recesses though, I keep a dry brush nearby to scoop that up. Another thing to watch out for is for the paint in your mixing pallete to begin to dry out, you'll need to add more water when that starts to happen. In that photo I was on my 2nd and final coat of bleached bone.

Next I plan to paint with a 50:50 mix of bleached bone/menoth white highlight, thinned down just as much as before. I might stop there if I am satisfied with it, or I might add a final layer of white highlight.

Of course. I really can't stand the newer biovore models tbh. Every time I see one I think it's this big mishappen :downs: ape smiling at me. The Pyrovore looks great though. I've heard they are redoing the biovore model soon, hopefully it will look more like the pyro.

I have a bunch of old models I'm trying to find some use for. I had converted the old screamer killer fex into a dakkafex, I was pondering using the old zoanthrope for the DOOM OF MALAN'TAI but I just can't, he's simply too retarded looking. I have a squad of old warriors - I am contemplating using them as Tyranid Primes but they look kind of dorky too.

How about for your carapace :v:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

You could do different shades of green for some variation, or add extra hue colours.

While there is something to be said for uniformity, I prefer some variation personally.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Ork skintone variation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmZHUmzWCA

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Most Alpha Legion I've seen used blue and green.

My pictures are a little disorganized so this is the only one I could find quickly (blue+yellow):

The notable exception I can think of off the top of my head is the Ultramarine one with the scale pattern and serpent heads incorporated into the U.

e:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 16, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Fellblade posted:

Posting some pics of stuff I dragged out of boxes last night, don't think I've posted them before.

Slaneeshi Lord:

Unbased Warboss:

Half finished/Unbased Boyz:

Chaos Terminator Lords look so cool, too bad they're not worth using :(

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Here are some more pictures (of your two I think the green frog itself looks cooler, but colour wise it might be a little plain)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/02/colorful-poisonous-frogs.html

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Ashcans posted:

drat, thank you for this link. There are some really great ideas in there, I'll have to dig through and find some that I can actually paint.

Poisonous frogs are the best frogs

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

I think pacman frogs better represent Slann, but they don't have all the cool colors.

frogchat itt

Click here for the full 800x599 image.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I have an extra set of the space hulk terminators on the sprue that GW sent me because a couple pieces of my original were bent from being packed so tightly.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Tentacle Pink

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey guys. So, I need to paint up a Death Jester for a friend of mine soon. (birthday surprise) I was wondering if everyone just paints theirs black and bleach bone with maybe some checkers? Can anyone post some pics of their Death Jesters? Any pic, even blurry will help. I kind of have painters block both because I have no clue what to paint him and also cause I've never painted anything Eldar.

Click here for the full 600x1541 image.

Click here for the full 547x662 image.

Click here for the full 600x1112 image.

Click here for the full 450x1142 image.

Click here for the full 432x976 image.

Click here for the full 412x900 image.

Click here for the full 400x754 image.

I personally like the look with the shoulder draped thing a different colour than the rest of the jacket.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

!amicable posted:

There's a few options:
-Don't use GS.
-Use clay shapers, they require no to little lubrication. Water will do.
-Use baby oil .

The biggest issue with using oil based lube while sculpting is that it's a bitch to get off and it makes poo poo shiny, which can be distracting.

I'd recommend you pony up $20 for a set of clay shapers. They own. You will still probably want a hard tool as well.

There are silicone sculpting tools as well (not sure if this is what you were referring to).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

http://www.milliput.com/home.htm

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

If you mess up with matte I thought the solution was to regloss it and try again.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

the way GW did their helmets for the noise marines looks pretty good too

Click here for the full 873x627 image.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 7, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Chewbaccanator posted:

Probably. I was going for a similar approach, using warlock purple as a shade to tentacle pink, but the redshirt at the store I went to buy my paint told me tentacle pink was no longer produced by GW. I had to mix my own with purple and white.

e: Those Emperor's Children are from Warseer? If so, could I have the link? They look awesome.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155488

Also unrelated to that (buy possessed csm box/sprues),

Click here for the full 922x696 image.

Click here for the full 799x671 image.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 7, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Posted this in the wrong thread.

For fun I was thinking about making a Slaanesh champion using some of my collection of bits.

Can anyone throw some suggestions out there for parts to use?

I have regular CSM parts, csm terminator stuff, csm terminator lord stuff and some possessed pieces to pick from. I also have ork nobz pieces, some IG pieces and a ton of nid stuff.

I am also considering doing some kind of cthulhu/tentacle additions.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

chelsea clinton posted:

You got the bits and have some vague idea of what he should be armed with. The rest really isn't anything that requires much in the way of recommendations. A torso from the possessed set is good, though. Get some bio armour for him. The arm with a sword melting into the hand is good for nearly any melee weapon you would actually want to put on him (if you can sculpt it into a barb-tipped whip instead it would be ace). The bare, giant-horned head from the CSM champion sprue is also good. Helmets from various chaos warriors and knights are always popular and so are marauder and knight shoulder pads.

The arm with apothecary stuff on it, needles and cutters, from the space marine command sprue is great. If you can trade for this from your local group do so.

Tyranid stuff is a little harder to make fit. You get some spikes and armour plates, I guess. Carving out the ribbed parts and smoothing them out with greenstuff should make some rending claw hands fit.

I actually have a complete command squad box minus the smaller banners.

I'm torn on what to do with all these marines (I'd rather not sell them).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Just bought these. I want to make them look like chaos marines but don't know where to begin. Should I start hacking and filing off the purity seals and blood drops? Or keep the gems on? I'm thinking the paint scheme will be Angels of Ecstasy, like this

which is a poo poo picture, so I redid it on painter

So, what do you guys think? Worth the trouble? What chaos bits should I tack on? I'm tempted just to use a bunch of the possessed bits, or should I have the corruption be more subtle?

I sort of want to do this too :ohdear:

The wings scream mutation (chaos) to me and drop some chaos horned helmets on them, maybe swap out an arm or legs for some possessed pieces too.

Beyond looking awesome I guess they could be counts as raptors or something :shobon:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 8, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

You could always just take a little gs and fill in the grooves.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

It does? I need to look a lot harder at my sprue then...

All the wings would be cool for emperor's children

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Anphrax posted:

Those wings + purple = Hawk Lords :iamafag:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I much prefer the "scaling" look of the last tank's freehand to the H.R. Giger wannabe biomechanical stuff. It looks rad as gently caress, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt really seem like an Eldar thing

Did someone say scales?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU