Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I havent sealed any of mine, but then they dont really leave the cabinet.

If you want to stick the powders down without distorting them, hairspray works. You need the stuff that goes on dry though, and be very light about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

Dettol still works though.

the thing about Fairy power spray, and why it was so superior, was that your house/models didnt stink of dettol for weeks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love your nids Pierre.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

moths posted:

Any recommendations on achieving the purpleish skin tone you see on stuff like this (tumbnailed, maybe NWS) Kings of War figure?

I'm thinking maybe khaki with a purple wash and beige highlights? I tried starting with dark purple and working up to off-white, but my vampire guy just looks like a smurf.

You need a grey with purple mixed in. Purple + white is the wrong saturation so won't look close at all. GWs Slaanesh grey is what you want.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

Crosspostin from the terrain thread:

Spray it with gloss varnish before you paint it. It will help seal it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Blood Angels Librarian incoming:

Nice to get back into it after a few months out, picked a blue thing as a bit of practice before Sevatar :)

e: huh, just noticed i missed a blood drop on his arm, ah well
e2: no one saw that right :ninja:

I like this, although I think you could push yourself on the edge highlights a little bit more. Some of them arent as neat and crisp as they should be.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a very nice paint job but I think theres some areas you can really push yourself and really take it up a level.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats harsh. Hitler couldn't paint at all! Skarsnik is a good painter already!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Then just imagine how much harder Skarsnik is taking your criticism! ;)

Speaking of painting, I need to get on the ball - Adepticon is a month away and I still need to finish my Warmaster stuff. I am so unmotivated to paint, and it is driving me crazy... How do you guys get yourselves back into it?

Booze.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Karnegal posted:

Does anyone have a good technique for making dead logs or branches to bases? Ideally something other than sculpting from scratch with green stuff.

Go to a place where trees are. Pick up fallen twigs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Take a shovel!

But seriously it is the best way of getting good looking logs without having to sculpt them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The phrase 'pop' really gets on my nerves.

And yes, cannons, even parade ready, would be dull and scored because they'd still be used and would be stored outside in all weather conditions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Sorry for posting more of the same buy I did three more bodies. I would have done the other 11 but clean up of plastics is booooring.

Thats ace. I might suggest you throw a few tiny silver 'nicks' onto the wide hip plates to just break up the big wedge of dark armour. Not too many, one or two per side, just thin bright highlights in the same colour as the edges.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Try doing the warpaint over the nicks. Will make it look even better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Might try taking a scalpel to them then, maybe hit them up with some pencil graphite.

Avoid the scalpel, that way lies madness. Just a quick flick with a fine detail and a bright silver will do. Or a pencil. Bulbasaur is the man to talk to about that stuff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

The Trick Professional Painters Don't Want You To Know is that the least amount of effort to get the best result is the key to success. You accomplished great-looking metal with very little work, so you're already halfway there.

Shhhhhh don't tell everyone.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The issue is hes a monopose starter box set model from 5 years ago against some of the best marine models GW have ever done. Theres not really much you can do to him at that point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Who Dat posted:

I'm completely new here. I picked up a Dark Vengeance box last year but never dove in from sheer intimidation. I'm psyching myself to finally put to use all the paints, brushes, clippers, etc I bought to good use. Should I start with the bigger models in the box? Or is there something less complicated/detailed I should learning on? I've literally never painted anything ever before so :ohdear:

The cultists are majorly single pose models which are really easy to put together too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Medium Style posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, this is neat. You can search specifically for a female dwarf holding a whip and wearing a hat. Finally.

Are there any other places you would recommend with nice miniatures that aren't necessarily for a game? I'm more interested in the paint mans than the shoot mans.

Andrea Miniatures has some of the best things on the market.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What range are you using for the 28mm stuff? I havent found models I've liked for that period in that scale yet.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BeigeJacket posted:

Perry Brothers. I do plan on getting some of the Victrix highlanders (probably at Salute).

Surprised that there's nothing that's taken your fancy, 28mm Napoleonics has been very blessed in the last couple of years with loads and loads of plastics. This poo poo is actually affordable now! What is it that puts you off?

Theres always something I dislike about the models. Either the poses, the faces or just the general lack of detail on them. I'm not looking at painting up hundreds of the things so its more about the individual models to me. The Perry stuff does look good mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stabbington posted:

This is basically 90% done, still needs tartan on the tabard/loincloth thingy and some various bits of detail tweaking, but I wanted to post pictures because of how proud I am of the leather on the coat. I basically painted it looking "new" and then went in with a lot of layers of glazes, stippling, and scratches to simulate weathering. Very happy with how it turned out, though I think the highlights could use a tiny bit more work, they're a little flat right now.

Thats some real nice leather. If you don't mind me being super critical, theres bits of obvious banding where maybe you didn't break up the wash lines with stippling enough. You can see it most clearly in the picture furthest to the left. But apart from that I really like it.

• Locked thread