Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

VogeGandire posted:

WarmaHordes Minions faction, and the turtle dude is an Ironback Spitter.

Speaking of Gators who was it that painted that one in the top hat? I may have some gators to paint soon and I wanted to refer to that guy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hey Arlaharen, any chance you could give a general outline on how you accomplished this look on you gators?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Weirdo posted:

How did you get the one guy to have such a big gut?

He did it with kneadatite (aka greenstuff)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472649&pagenumber=135&perpage=40#post412981559

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Anybody mind completed army pics?

This weekend I put my Ogre army together just to see the size, and take a picture or two. After all, I now consider it completed (although at some point I might add a Stonehorn), so it'll soon be hidden away in a box somewhere never to be used. That it got done is in large parts thanks to the oath threads. I'm a terrible photographer, but here's a pic:

Now the question is, what the hell do I do with it? I pretty much never play Warhammer anymore.

Put them in a display case, invite ladies over, and let the :ironicat: :radcat: avalanche begin.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Whoops. Wrong thread, sorry.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Or just get the actual Kneadatite which is what everyone else just re-brands.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product18832.html

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

He wanted a "very good" paint job on top of all that so I said 450. He said that was way too much and I asked what he thought it should be.

"If it costs 90 bux then it should be half that, plus I want them to look like Word Bearers."
:goonsay:

Sheesh. Even his friend was like "Dude that's a lot of stuff to paint."

Send him here, they probably deserve oneanother. http://bluetablepainting.com/painting/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Meganob-ification underway. Shoulder pads aren't attached yet and still trying to build a decent kombi-skorcha.

I'm glad those AT-43 models are working for you. And if anyone tries to give you grief about them, just say they are made from looted Tau armor.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

If I have large areas that I want to wash (terrain sized) is using an airbrush viable?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This 500 per month stuff is loving bullshit of the highest order and someone needs to throw a brick through some GW windows to give them an accurate idea of how much money 500 dollars is. If you have an average size local group you could burn through that much with people just starting Mordheim or Bloodbowl and be left with 0 dollars to cover your Fantasy or 40k orders (a big loving problem considering most characters fall into that sweet sweet 500 dollar cut).

It's no problem at all just go here and place your order friend.:rodimus:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=400004&section=community&aId=3400070

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

I blame you for many other things. Being cool, mostly, but also my all-consuming addiction to drinking Barbasol, the "blue stuff you put your combs in (tm)."

Barbasol is shaving cream, Barbicide is the "blue stuff you put your combs in (tm).

Which has always confused me.

Suicide is killing yourself.
Homicide is killing someone else.
Regicide is the killing of royalty.
So is Barbicide the killing of barbers, or do they drink it to commit Suicide; and if a barber kills them-self is it then Barbicide?

So many questions.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

If you guys get the chance, and have any inclination, I really do recommend picking up one of the packs of modelling clays and just having a play about. Having one of the basic sets of different fimo from a hobby store to play about with has been very fun, and has taken alot of the pressure off that I feel when I mix up some epoxy putty and sit in front of my modelling stuff.

I'm terrible at it but knowing it's a cheap set and the final product won't be used for anything made me alot happier to sit there and mess about for a few hours. The basic skills in moving and shaping the clay will carry across to when I try and do 'proper' miniature modelling stuff.

Here's the little fellas I made last night

Kindof creepy looking at not great but setting out to just mess about with some bright colours really helped me get over knowing that it was going to be difficult and rubbish.

I think I'm making sense. I hope you guys get what I'm trying to suggest and explain.

Try and have fun sometimes and don't always get bogged down in our "very serious" hobby of plastic space mans. I hear you. :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Darken the bandoleer and loin cloth to make them more distinct from the flesh tone.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I find these help. But admnittedly only the two smallest brushes fit inside my gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-airbrush-cleaning-brushes-68155.html

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Today's lesson #1: Hey, I can run craft paints through my airbrush!

Today's lesson #2: Airbrush stripping is fun :downs:

Yes you can, I do all the time, they just need substantial thinning with Windex. My Brew House Bash game set was done with craft paint sprayed through an airbrush.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Random question that's been on my mind.

I have been afraid to spray varnish my minis because I am not sure of the normal method of Gloss->Matte will make my metallic paints less shiny.

I'm worried the final Matte layer will bring down the shine that my tin bitz or runefang steel bring to my color pallet. Is this wrong or do people re touch their metallic areas with some kind of satin varnish? I assume gloss would be too bright.

edit: late night spelling

Many use a brush on gloss or semi-gloss sealant on things like slime, eyes, mouths, shiny metals and so forth.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Is your camo simply:

1)Light Base coat
2)Blue tac
3)Darker Second coat
4)Done

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Try an oil wash. If you hate it, it comes off easy enough.

I know there are probably dozens, but is a best yet concise tutorial for oil washing?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

If they used super glue, there's a few things you can do. Put them in the freezer and try prying them apart, or a long soak in simple green Super Clean will weaken the bond.

If they used plastic cement, welp.

Corrected your error.

If they used plastic cement, get a hobby knife or learn to live with mounted back packs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Guys my paint is like cottage cheese, that's ok, right?

If it makes a difference it smells more like Roquefort, though.

Aren't the new texture paints awesome?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

Do any of you know any stores that sell Simple Green? I live in New York City and I've checked a couple smaller places, but no luck. I'd like to avoid Amazon if possible, because I really want to paint this weekend and my Firewarriors are caked with lovely primer.

If you want to use Super Clean try most auto parts places, or big box stores.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=126494&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post412328648

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 26, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Any advice on print your own transfer sheets? Brands to buy, brands to avoid?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Spamius posted:

Remember that you can't print white! Either get the white film transfer sheets (in which case you have to cut out your transfers extremely carefully) or avoid using white altogether in your logos. This also means that lighter colours may be partially transparent on the clear film, so bear that in mind too.

I plan on putting a red, black, and clear transfers on white so that the white shows through the clear; but thanks for the advice.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I have looked on ebay in the past few days looking for 'toy crane' - I found that exact toy...but it was collection only, many hour's drive away :(

I got one at a yard sale years back, but now that I can see how to make it more than a single platform it is going to be great. That crane and a stack of AT-43 crates will be an awesome start of an Infinity board.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Apart from the whole sniper nest thing.

I'd plan on saying that anyone up there gets no cover. Great LOS, but it cuts both ways.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Burning the house down starting to sound like an option. 3/4 of my army now looks like it got dipped in gloss varnish, even after 2 or 3 coats of matte. If these models are ruined, poo poo gonna get real.

What are you using as dull coat?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Personally I have never had issues with Krylon Matte Finish. But yes the best advice is to wait and see. If it still looks hosed try another brand.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Your paint job is good but why do you have a fleet of flying dildos?

[psychoanalyze]More importantly, why do you see them as dildos? How was your relationship with you mother?[/psychoanalyze]

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

I stand by Pledge for my glossing needs. It goes through my airbrush very well with no thinning needed, and it's pretty rock-hard as far as gloss is concerned. It's also really cheap--I got my bottle for about $7, and I'm betting it'll last me for years at this rate.

Can you link a picture of the Pledge you are speaking of? I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of something different. Also what is involved in cleaning the airbrush afterwards?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I have been fiddling with these guys a little too long and I think I have lost my objectivity.

Are these any good? I am making a Redemptionist Gang, but I don't know if these models really sell the feel of that gang. It may be in part to the fact that I am trying to make them also function as Cawdor (hence the Heavy with the bolter); what do you think?

JUVES

DEVOTEES

CRUSADERS

DEACONS

ZEALOTS

PRIESTS

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

When people use instant mold what do you usually cast stuff out of? Sculpy? Green Stuff?

Liquid resin or green stuff.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Naramyth posted:

I am dumb and want to paint up White Scars. What can I do to make painting white suck less, especially on vehicles? Note: painting Skull White really sucks, but I do prime white.

Use an air brush and spray Golden Fluid Acrylics Titanium White, thinned with Les Bursey's air brush thinner.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm about the cheapest mini painter on these forums and even I broke down and bought a Masterson's Wet Palette. It is so much nicer than the home-brew one I made initially and using a %50 off coupon from Michaels made it super affordable.

(Don't forget you can rinse and reuse the papers you buy for your palette; I'm only on my second sheet after dozens of uses.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

sassassin posted:

A 20m roll of the stuff is like £1

Acrylic Paper or Parchment Paper? Because while PP might be cheaper AP is less of a pain in the rear end.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Purgey posted:

Thanks! I've been gathering up inspirational 40k stuff and that army is like, the best daemon army I've seen.

As thanks, here are some hot Ogryn tits

(not mine, sadly)

Am I the only one that saw this?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Parchment. Maybe it's a British thing but the cheap store brand stuff is great. I roll out a few inches and cut it to fit, I must have a year's worth in a £1 roll.

If it works for you that's great. I just found a home made palette with parchment tended to curl up and was annoying, and after using a purchased palette I would never go back.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

sassassin posted:

Place it down on the sponge, then flip it over.

It only curls if it's wet on only one side.

Not in my experince. But it is all academic anyway. I own a good palette so don't need to make due with parchment.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Does anyone else feel that the new "Reikland Fleshshade" should really be named "Instant Sunburn"?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm joining the goon-ham Spring cleaning brigade. Do you need Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Baneblade bits, BFG stuff, or Warmaster? Then check out my SA mart thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I am striking out. Could someone point me to the snow flock post that was made reciently? It had images of three varities of snow on various models. Thanks.

• Locked thread