Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I just started painting again. Forgive me for breaking into your warhams discussion. One night while checking out CMOT I saw that spyglass was being shut down and snatched up some of my favorite sculpts even though I didn't have any paints or what have you. Later he would reopen as a 54mm only and resale this mini cast in resin, but whatever.

So, I bought a $10 set of craft paints and then had to go and buy some citadel flesh tones, but I think it's a pretty decent job so far. I need to base it, but I don't have anything to use for grass yet. What do you think?

After I get some basing stuff, I'm thinking of checking out some of those flow extenders and some new brushes. The ones I have are already worn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

More commission stuff:

A bunch more angles in my thread

Amazing work on this. Especially the bit of blue on the sightglass/scope things. Using the same blue again on the bug faced one really helps pull it all together as an army.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I found some of my old stuff. Not the greatest stuff, but full of memories.
Thought I would post these since I'm waiting on some painting supplies to show up.

I remember being really proud of this one and all my friends were like, "Uh..It's nice, but really dark."

another elmore/ral partha chick

From the dungeon board game set. Awesome board game.

What. Up. Goff clan with blinged out boltas

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

!amicable posted:

Here's some lovely photos of things I am painting:

Click here for the full 1523x1185 image.

What is the crab thing?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

What the hell is the blue dude supposed to be. Some sort of Tzeentch demon? The other pictures of soulgrinders have the demon with the orc powerklaw. Whatever it is, it looks pretty cool.

Also Alexi-Z just became my new favorite painter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=170397026325

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.ph...ing_id=30876997
http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?...oduct_id=124764

I personally would just make one out of green stuff.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

HardCoil posted:

Does anybody know of some 25/28mm human Sci-fi minis that are smaller than GW's? I'm looking for normal human soldiers, that would scale well with Space Marines if SMs were true to the fluff. Something like the (really) old IG plastic set with 36 guys.

You could check out gzg.com for their stargrunt line. They're like 20mm, but the quality isn't great.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I went a little crazy and stripped some of my old minis after I messed up one of my new ones and thought, "hey I can fit 10 dudes in this bucket of simple green."
One of them had a mold line on his base I guess, because he kept falling over. So, I grabbed my new file set and before I knew it I had chopped off his feet and built him a base out of fimo and greenstuffed him to a more 30mm scale. I think I've gone insane.
before/after

I'll need to do some more work on the greenstuff before I prime him.
My sculpting skills are weak.

Also I've started on this orc here. He's pretty cool.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

That guy looking for Blood bowl footballs, I found you one by accident.

http://www.scifigenre.com/itemDetai...NV1SVXKM0P11V01

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

The orc from my previous post with some more work done to him. Still need to paint his pants and do the highlights. Using red in the shadows has made it interesting. It's easy to use too much as you can see in the shot of the back of his head. Going for a gold/copper on his armor. Still not sure what to do for the jeweled bracer on his arm.

Click here for the full 500x822 image.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Got some painting in while watching T.V. today.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x584 image.

Click here for the full 733x513 image.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

The head growing out of the tentacle is inspired.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

A little bit of work left on the gems and then it's time to base this bad boy.

Click here for the full 600x644 image.

Bonus shot of my workspace.

Click here for the full 800x336 image.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

^^^Good luck dude.

Just finished with the detail work and final highlights on my orc dude. I was pretty stunned how much those little bits all added up. He looks pretty loving awesome. Going to throw some grass or something on his base tomorrow and dullcote his rear end, before I throw him back in the box in the bottom of the closet. I'll post some final pics then.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

My niece provided the great backdrop. The base sucks I think, but I'm done.

Click here for the full 798x800 image.

Click here for the full 525x700 image.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

A friend of mine emailed me this infinity diorama/display base he built:

The amount of effort and skill your friend needed to pull this off are both overwhelming and inspiring.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

It's been awhile, but I finished another one. See you again when the mood strikes.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I was bouncing around the internet when I came across this:

I have to say,
That's an interesting loincloth.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Red Herring posted:

Click here for the full 1131x1446 image.

Next time for sure, I'm not doing scales again - and if I did, they would be not the same colour as the base. Probably not outline them either.

Ah well, it doesn't look bad, and hey, a little bit of experimentation goes a long way.

All of the scales must have been a bitch, but I think it looks better without the snake anyhow. Good job.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Here's some poo poo I just finished painting up. Feels inadequate after that dragon. I'll figure out something for basing later. I'm not a big diaroma guy but these guys cry out for one. I'll have to break down and buy the dog mini from hasslefree's online store now since I can't find anything in the states.

Jinkies!

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Those buildings are pretty amazing. The only thing I see that's off is the top of the wall.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Trollblood Warbox complete

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

My army grows. Still not the greatest at taking photos, but maybe someday I will actually get to play this game.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Dumb question, but I couldn't find it in the OP... what's a good set of "starter paints" these days? I have the Citadel Foundation Set, some metalics/washes/extras from them, and some old Reaper paints - all bought from 2002 to 2006 or so.

My girlfriend (who is a graphic artist) and I have just been painting my Wrath Of Ashardalon minis using what I have, and she really enjoyed herself. I want to get her a set of mini paints for her birthday, but I have no idea what's good these days. I'm safter something that covers the basics without being really pricy, but I could go up to $100 or so I guess.

Let it be known that I'm a terrible painter and she surpassed my ability by her 4th or 5th mini.

I painted one of the bears from that set for a Mordheim game and I thought it turned out great. I used the warstore when I got back into the hobby and I think the dropper style bottles are the best as well so I am going to offer you this link.
http://www.thewarstore.com/product20782.html

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

The way I understand it is that mini specific paints have smaller pigments particles and more of them so that when you thin them down you still have a strong color over a small area. Whereas paints designed for canvases are not going to need that level of detail, being designed for larger tasks, and will look poor on typical gaming model. Typically needing multiple coats to get a good solid color. Otherwise all acrylics are interchangable.

As for the different Vallejo ranges for instance. The Game Color range is supposed to be similar to the Games Workshop bright range of colors. The Model Color range is designed more for wargaming and is less extreme in it's intensity of colors. I use a combination of all of them like most.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Beaten

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Xombie posted:

This owns. Where did the model come from?

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

Update on the sculpt. Almost complete.

Looking like Kevin Costner in this picture. Its been great watching you improve.

• Locked thread