Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Yeah my next project is chaos marines (my dark elves are almost done, and I will provide pics when I have finished moving house) and death guard + typhus are the poo poo model wise, and will be included in my army. Give us your recipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

PaintVagrant posted:

Just to elaborate, the client paid quite a bit for this army and Im not giving the recipes because its

a - hard to replicate because it uses a lot of funky glazing technique
b - I dont want any copycats of them out there :)

But anything else I paint Ill hand out recipes/help, just not these.

recipe us up your ahriman, I remember it being poo poo hot and I have a hard on for chaos still

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

PaintVagrant posted:

What colors are you interested in? Im not going to try to remember every single color, but if there is a certain part or something that you would like to repeat Ill try to figure out what I did

The whitish blue on his robes was great, and any tips for blending too?

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
so er, PV, why was i remembering blue? gently caress knows! but thanks :)

i have trouble with blending in general but lack of camera and moving house = no examples. do you ever use a feathering technique or just build up successive layers?

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
thought as much, thanks for the advice :)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I didn't notice the arms til ou pointed them out, and I think they look fine. Whole project is looking good keep it up :)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Anyone with access to the chaos marines codex have any idea how they painted 'The Cleaved' chapter? I want that pale pinkish colour

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

!amicable posted:

Looks like deneb stone, highlighted with some ds+white, then white. The stains looks like chestnut ink and the old green ink. You could probably just use a dark green and a dark brown and guide the dripping more...

You rock !amicable :)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

Broken Loose posted:

Tervigon brainstorming!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the upcoming Tyranid codex, a tervigon is a heavily-armored, monstrous Synapse creature (HQ or Troops) with an array of psychic powers that constantly gives birth to gaunts over the course of the battle (3D6 gaunts a turn, even if locked in close combat, runs out on doubles or triples).

Of course, there is no model for this monstrosity. The closest is Hydra's "Swarm Tyrant" which lacks the spike launchers of the tervigon and also lacks any notable synaptic features (crests or spikes on the head, mainly).

This is as awesome as it is disturbing

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

DOOMCOCK posted:

I'm deployed to Afghanistan and trying to paint up an Imperial Guard army while I'm here since I work two out of the twelve hours I'm on shift. Even with that much open time, I really don't enjoy using a brush to prime my models, super tedious. I can't order any spray primer since it would end up on a plane at SOME point. That being the case, can anyone give a suggestion on how to save time on this part of the hobby? I was thinking maybe airbrush since we have a giant air compressor here, but I thought I'd fish for ideas first. Now that I'm to the end of this post though, its looking like hand painting or airbrushing are probably my only options, hah.

Are you priming by hand with paint or gesso? because if you're using pint try gesso, much easier.

PV how did you do the bases on the grey knights? I wanna steal it

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
yeah give it a try. you just slap it on and it shrinks into the contours of the model. easier than priming with paint anyway.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Try it on a tester model? let us know how it goes

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
In response to the lizardman:

Don't paint them one by one, paint in batches. I go in fives but its personal preference

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

PaintVagrant posted:

I like to wetblend my shades, sort of put the darker color on very thinly, and then using a clean brush to feather the edge so it blends in.

I dont actively blend 2 colors at once on the model too often though, because acrylics dry too damned fast.

When I try this it dries at the edges and leaves sort of a ring of colour. Any tips for avoiding this? Is my paint too thin/not thin enough?

To get my shades and highlights I use multiple overlapping coats of my highlight colour with a ton of matte medium mixed in. Sort of works I guess but I want to get the hang of feathering :(

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Liquitex drying retardant.

I feel like the retardant right now :kiddo:

Still kinda hard to see what he's doing in parts but I reckon I'm one step closer. Thanks CFH!

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Post pics of your results and I'll give it a try when I can and compare

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

CyberLord XP posted:

My parents come over for dinner tonight and my dad says "by the way I found a harbor freight air brush/compressor on sale so get it out of the car before we leave".

Translation: post your favorite airbrushing videos/tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob#p/u/2/xh5Hb1hq07M

Video from awesome paintjob starts with airbrushing vehicles

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
The Saddest Robot: your newer minis are boss. Really nice. The minis of our past will always haunt us :(

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
no-one commented on that vulkan conversion. its better han the current model!

also cakefool if you ever cast those bases i'd buy an army's worth off you

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
E: ignore me its just my internet being a oval office

tervigon is sweet as

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Repost from the oath thread. Looking for comments and tips. Unfortunately the pics are too poo poo to see the subtle deneb stone + white edge highlight on the power armour. I honestly think they look even better than this in person. Tell me what you think guys.

Just based, varnished and forgot how to photograph these plague marines. Enjoy sweet goons:

Click here for the full 1472x566 image.

Click here for the full 1421x838 image.

Click here for the full 1530x630 image.

And bonus post your workspace goodness:

Click here for the full 1218x1614 image.

I have a little desk and lamp there on the bottom left and office chair out of shot. Those cupboards hold all of my hobby crap and the doors almost even close.

All those nice blurry pics were taken on my mobile phone, so yeah sorry.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Looking really good pierre I'd be proud to game with that

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Base them, wash them (devlan mud all over will look good, but thin it a little) and be proud that your first attempt was light years ahead of most other people's.

Very neat and you coloured inside the lines, which is better than most.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Skarsnik you can pick one up in primark for £2 that's what I did. You'll have to take your craft knife to the top though and open it up, just to make things easier.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Just wanted to say, Helldiver, KingMob, PV and RJS you guys have made the last two pages many shades of awesome. Your paintjobs all look awesome and effortless

:awesome:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Fyrbrand I really love your bases. The snow looks all powdery and great. But salamanders on a snow planet? Ski holiday?

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

Fyrbrand posted:

Maybe include basing instructions or suggestions for colors to paint the sand/ballast and base rims?

Edit:

It is at least conceivable that they'd fight somewhere other than their homeworld, and I wanted to avoid the cliche lava bases, so yeah.

Not trying to piss on your chips I think the bases are great just a little....novel for salamanders. Which was your intention. Soooo..... well done

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I use vaseline for sculpting. Just be careful you don't get it on the areas you need to stick, and wipe it off before you prime. It does work very well though.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Your blend is smooth as silk well done. Out of curiosity, did you use any extra agents in your paint? Or just water?

I couldn't get a blend with just water, and have been experimenting with matte medium and flow retarder. Just wondered what you used?

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Oh cool, can't imagine myself doing that on a whole unit let alone army. I found flow retarder and using a second brush to feather the highlights gives a similar result but faster, and I never had the patience to do it with just water. Kudos.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
All dark elves should be on snow bases because thats what mine have :colbert:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Crosspostin' like a bitch

Ok just finished my chaos terminators, they are all magnetized and I have 5 sets of lightning claws waiting for some greenstuff and paint, so I can run nearly any combo of termies, I also have typhus and he is on my photobucket too.

Click for big

Termy with flamer + power weapon

Same termy with TL bolter and power fist

Group shots! yey!

Come on goons want to hear your thoughts on these, nice or not so nice. Also I should probably add another highlight to the weapons, as the matte varnish dulled it down quite a lot.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

The Good Professor posted:

These are awesome, I especially like the eyes/power weapon blades. Can't say I'm a fan of the guns (all metal with nothing to break it up) but they do look well done.

This is a good point and something I was thinking about. Might rust them up a bit more and do the same green as the armour on the casing of the bolters? Y/N

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Could do, wanted to keep the red minimal just to break up the green/brown/blue pattern. Too much would steal attention I think. Gonna make the modifiactions to the guns though. Thanks for the thoughts duder :)

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I superglued my hand to a table when I was a kid. This is nearly 10 years ago and I was probably way to young to be using that glue, or at least way too retarded. Took me ages to get my hand unstuck with the skin intact :(

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

alcyon posted:

Also, I LOVE the smell of real turpentine. It's awesome.

It is awesome. Your paintjob is awesome. You're awesome.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Bit late to the party but I wanted to chip in that everyone who has issues with white primer coverage should try Army Painter white spray, it's got a fantastic smooth even cover in one coat. Anyone with fuzzyness issues either sprayed in too hot/cold weather or didn't shake the can properly.

white primer 4 lyfe

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Goddam that was loving meta

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

stabbington posted:

I haven't heard anything, positive or negative, about white gesso. I've had good results with grey (liquitex), and I've seen many other people do well with black.

e: also seconding airbrush info, holy poo poo. (and if we can get a definitive airbrush info post for PV to link in the OP, that would kick rear end, because that comes up all the freaking time)

One goon did an awesome airbrush rundown, I think it was Pagan or Cakefool but not too sure. I'm sure it got linked or saved somewhere too.

Fast_Food_Knight fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

Miles O'Brian posted:

edit2: someone remind me of that website some goon recommended for buying magnets in the UK. Going to line my movement trays and magnetise the bases.

That was me, I bought 100 magnets for £10 and they arrived in 29 hours from http://e-magnetsuk.com/

As for a primer recommendation, I prime everything in Army Painter White. £6 a can and perfect smooth coverage in 1-2 coats.

• Locked thread