Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know if I like this new thread. It was always awesome in the old thread where you could click on a person's post history and slowly watch their army come together. :unsmith:

I mean, I'll be doing the same thing no matter what, but I'd always catch myself checking out other poster's progress and now half the pictures are just a bunch of random models. :smith:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, the imagespam will slow down after another page or so. Also, if you want to track progress, POST YOUR NEW BA'S :clint:

FINE GODDAMMIT UGH

BA Dread, weapons, magnets.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
A dick that don't release his painting recipes

A shameful dick

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

I've got 5 tactical marines and 5 assault marines I want to paint and stick in the shop window. I'm thinking I should paint them each in a different color scheme. I'm not sure if I should paint main chapters that have codexes and special rules and fancy upgrade bits or if I should paint other chapters. Any ideas for this project?

If you need any extra bits (specifically for an Ultramarine - I've got Sicarius's backpack and a moulded shoulderpad in my bits bag somewhere though I may end up making a special model out of the bits) let me know on Wednesday/early Afternoon Friday.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 5, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

KingMob posted:

Well lookie what was waiting on my front steps.

So much for finishing up some more terrain.

I'm not really sure what these are so I'll just comment on the hairstyles gracing the upper-right box.

"drat."

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 6, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
He seems intimidating enough compared to the marine next to him. I'd leave the arms alone, they seem to be the right size.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Seeing Terminator pads on TS marines always looked a bit silly to me. Do the same thing for 'pads that you did for the head: use a bit of plasticard to act as spacers.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

!amicable posted:

Were they the chaos knight polearms?

From the looks of them, yes.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

WIP Chaplain kitbash.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looking good so far. Any idea how you're gonna do the legs yet?

Getting the rest of the bits from a Goon; I'll post the whole thing here when it's ready. :)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

crime fighting hog posted:

Kinda unrelated but I started working on the elves I got from you way back when. Most of them stripped pretty well and I'll be priming/painting hopefully in the next few weeks at this rate.

Awesome! Though I suppose it's too late for you to post pictures so I can compare the horrible-ness of my painting a year ago to how bad I am now? :ohdear:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

crime fighting hog posted:

Definitely, that poo poo went into simple green the day I got it. But it wasn't THAT bad.

Oh well, hopefully they'll turn out better for you. :)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Aranan posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about making bases like these on my own?

http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1820

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
OK that dude on the horse is pretty sweet.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Cross-postin'

Thought for the day: Magnetizing a Dreadnought is a messy, but fun, job.

Presenting the venerable Ancient Ignace:

:gonk: Wait no that's not right.

There we go. It's easy to fix a mix-matched Dreadnought when he's been installed with MAGNETS! :science:

Obligatory "dancing Dread" pictures.

Still needs some cleanup work in the back, and the Lascannon needs some mold lines cleaned up, but I'll probably drop it in some Simple Green to get rid of the old priming job first.

I want to give the model a mix of the usual red and Death Company schemes so that I can switch him back and forth in later games. Any ideas?

Fake EDIT: Oh and before I forget he does actually have a head, but forgot to set it in with sticky tac until after I had already come up and uploaded the pictures.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm seeing (besides the Baneblade kit, obviously) a Vampire Counts Corpse Cart, the 'mouth' of a Hellcannon, and what looks like the banner from those Nurgle Gors. Nurglors? Anyways, it makes the kitbasher in me happy. :3:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
And the Cult of Gesso grows...:devil:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Looks good, though I can't look at her face and not see :what:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That's probably not the model he's thinking of, but a very good conversion nevertheless.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Chaos Spawn kit is the best kit :3:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

You've got samurai warrior in my steampunk!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Plastic glue also sucks if worst comes to worst and you want to completely redo an army and get the bits separated. But I mean who would do that, right? :kiddo:

Expect some pictures in a week

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Skarsnik posted:

The 3 blades in the Skaven 3 pointed thing arrangement was genius

Oh wow, it's like the Fedex arrow.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Honestly it needs some light more than making it darker. Highlight with a silver-ish color?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

Lightening the gold seems like the answer but I don't want to use pure silver. I've got Shining Gold on there now, can I lighten it with a lighter gold? What about mixing something (silver?) in with the gold I have for a lighter gold? Highlight silver then sepia wash? I hate metallics.

Shining gold + Mithril silver = :circlefap:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

Are you talking about mixing them or just highlights?

Mixing them, but there's nothing wrong with using a silver color to highlight gold. I'd go with a (relatively) "thick" highlight of shining gold, then a mix, then a thin-thin-thin highlight of mithril silver or some silver color.

VVV :devil:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 24, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Grey primer (gesso) + 2 coats of Blood Red was usually good enough for me.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cakefool posted:

I got done some bases for my SH->CSM termies, excuse the ridiculously small thumbnail, what do you think?

Looks pretty awesome. :)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My cat has lung disease. I hope it isn't related! :v:

Stop killing your cats. :ohdear:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

lighttigersoul posted:

Hey guys, need opinions/direction.

I've got 50 dollars expendable. I currently have NO supplies. Any recommended resources for purchasing them, and any must have items?

I figure Citadel Washes in Badab and Devlan are going to be suggested.

Gale Force 9 Assault Template, Badab Black wash, Devlin Mud wash, Gryphonne Sepia Wash, and soap to wash the shame awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Seriouspost: Go to your local supermarket and pick up a $1 nail clipper. You can use it to clip bits off a sprue, but more importantly they usually come with a small file that I find useful for getting mold lines off of areas like the inner thigh area of a model.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Anphrax posted:

I'm not sure how they look on the table, but my only comment on this picture is that the eyes seemed to glow O_O Good job on that!

It's an ancient technique, known far and wide as "coloring outside the lines" :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

I'd like to hear what others do to break up painters' block. I haven't painted anything in nearly a month thanks to traveling, and looking at the unfinished project on my desk, I just can't bring myself to leap right back into it. It's all assembly line boring troops.

Do you tend to find it's better to muscle through and finish that goal, or do you have some way to get the juices flowing again?

Some people buy a model to paint, like a character from another army, or start a new army and come back to the original one later. I convert v:shobon:v

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

I really want to move on to something else, but I'm like 9 models from finished with this big chunk of Sisters, and it's like work to get them done rather than hobby. But I'm worried that if I put them away before I at least finish these to tabletop+ quality I'm either going to forget the formula I've been following or just never get them done. I was in a real groove when I got started, but 40 models really take it out of you, especially when they're all static blah.

Still gotta figure out how to base them. Maybe that will be interesting, at least.

Then take a break, honestly. Stop working on them entirely or anything 40k related for a week and come back refreshed.

Just :getout:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
This might've come up earlier in the thread, but does anyone have any experience with Army Painter sprays? I was thinking of using the bleached bone one + the light or strong dip to paint my lion marines, but wanted a second opinion first.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chenghiz posted:

A friend of mine used the bleached bone on his hundred some-odd marines. From what I could tell it doesn't go on too thickly and covers pretty well (about as well as krylon white primer).

PaintVagrant posted:

Theyre pretty cool. They have less tooth than regular primers though, so using washes is a little dicey.

The GKs and my cygnar are done with army painter sprays and they worked out nicely.

In terms of washes, you have to use some medium or future floor wax to get the wash or ink to flow nicely.

Good to know I guess, but what about the dip? They advertise them like they go hand-in-hand.

EDIT: This page has them painting a skeleton using the bone spray and then experimenting with the three dips. I'm thinking that the soft one would be the best.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 22, 2010

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
His little hat seems a bit bare; do you plan to add anything Lizardman-centric to it or just a cross? Other than that he looks great! :3:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The ooze effect on the Gaunt really ties the whole model toget-:barf: JESUS gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Very giger-esque, which is what I think all nids should strive for

e: minus all the vaginas that giger puts in everything

Broken Loose posted:

• Locked thread