Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I haven't painted in at least 5 years and I'm looking to get back into it. I have 2 questions I didn't see noted on the O.P

1- Back then I was cheap as gently caress and used wal mart acrylics. I have money now, but I'm still not a good painter. What brands/types of paint should I be looking at for ease of use and cost in case I waste poo poo?

2- I'm looking for figures that are larger scale than the standard wargame. I'm not really all that interested in playing a game nor am I interested in painting 15 of the same model. What's a good brand or game to look at for larger models that aren't like 30 bucks each?

edit: This is the top of my game folks

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I bought some paints and this is the first mini I've painted in years:

What should I be doing that I am not doing? I can think of "thin paints more," "use colors," and "decorate the base." Goals to work towards? Your brutal honesty is appreciated.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Alright, got me some shade wash stuff.

Anyone ever use nail polish as paint? After seeing what's out there in the nail art world I'm interested to see what I can do using some 6mm masking tape on a mini. There are some baller colors out there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Real paint acquired, I'll hold off on other stuff until I get something passable. I'll simple green this last one and try again without glopping poo poo all over the place and report back.

For the future though, do you know if there are particular problems with nail polish? I really would like to see a Khador warjack dolled up like a hot rod in candy apple red.

VVVVVVVVV
Understood, I'll post again when I have something to show!

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I just went ahead and purchased more paints and inks and various poo poo I don't really know how to use in the spirit of adventure. If it's enough to cause people in both this thread and the nail polish thread to say DO NOT DO THIS YOU'RE STUPID IF YOU DO then I figure there's wisdom between the two.

Painted this over significantly more hours than the previous one.

Still gotta wait for those new paints to come in for washes etc

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

After losing half a bottle of Nuln Oil on my desk (fortunately it is exactly the right shade of black that it doesn't matter) I think I've just become a Vallejo/Reaper paint convert. Dropper bottles....

edit: I have been getting paint out of these pots onto my palette by basically getting some on my brush and wiping it off. Is there a best practice regarding getting paint from pot to palette for thinning/mixing that is some other way? Using an eye dropper or something maybe? If not I really do think I'll just never buy PP/GW paint again.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 11, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

WIP Robot attempt #2, no legs yet

I'm attempting shading and highlighting here. Since I am having difficulty making smooth gradients, I'm attempting kind of a cartoon shading here. I'm also having difficulty telling what I'm supposed to be doing with metallics. If I apply a wash, it just makes it look dull and dirty. I do not yet have a brown wash though, just Nuln Oil. I do have 2 different shades of steel, is highlighting metallics something that's done like you would do for non metallics?

When my red paints come in, I want to fill in those eyes but also look like there's a lot of heat building up in that smoke stack. Something a beginner can do?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 11, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cataphract posted:

I find blue washes work well for metallics. He's a quick and dirty Grey Knight I did for a friend
What exactly do you mean heat building up? Do you mean like it's glowing red hot? That might be tough. The thing I would reccomend is putting a drop of nuln oil in each of those holes on the stack.

I like the blue, I will try that on my next one maybe.

By heat building up I mean I want each hole to be slightly glowing like there is a tube of lava or something in it. Maybe have some soot above each hole too?

VVVVVVVVVVV
Will do

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 11, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here got any tips for painting eyes? I've got about eight different tutorials open so I don't bugger these up, painting Infinity miniature eyes is daunting.

I don't know if this is too nontraditional but I have used a super fine tip sharpie to good effect.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

A dark wash in the recesses would help quite a bit. You could also try some texturing or details to fix the "flatness" of it.

Is this the appropriate use of the "texture" pots from GW paints? I bought a pot of brown "texture" paint and everything I've used it on makes it look like poo poo. Am I supposed to be using texture on similar colors, or is this supposed to make things look covered in muck?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

You paint it on the base to look like sand. I've heard it doesn't work so hot though.

I guess you could use them on the sides of tanks for rusty muddy parts.

S.J. posted:

Wha? Texture paints are for basing.

This makes a lot more sense

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My goal now is to make my figures look as good in pictures as they do when you can't so easily see the mistakes

I'm trying highlighting here along with shading and trying to use black as a way to frame details instead of as a main color. Ideas, or things to try on my next mini?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

I Think I need help, I have way to much sitting around, and no time to work on any of it :(

On the bench, Infinity: PanO, and Nomad Starters, Terran Starter for Firestorm Armada, a Judge Cadre from Judge Dredd, and Malifaux Som'er Teeth, and Ophelia Starters. On the shelves. way to much to list and none of it is even open :(

That room is loving impressive

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Question about the primer that comes in pots- Is this meant for touchups on spray primer jobs or can you prime a whole mini with it? I don't have a good place to go spraypainting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How long is normal before you make an irresponsible purchase for the sake of this hobby

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

When you have a box of like 12 of the same dude in 2 poses, how do you go about making them look different? I'd like every single one of my miniatures to have their own personality but I'm having difficulty putting personality on this dwarf:

Not to mention it being pretty loving sloppy despite my best efforts. Taking pictures is actually becoming a great way for me to double check my work for stray paint.

I'm going to touch this guy up of course but what are some ways to make 12 different models feel like 12 different characters? Or should they be faceless cannon fodder?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm getting to a point where I'm thinking order of operation is inside, outside, shade, detail, highlight. Is this more or less what you do, or is it different for everyone?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

richyp posted:

8) Cut model from temporary base and stick onto a pre-painted base.
Could you explain this? Do you not use the tabs that come attached to models as stuff to insert into bases?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just sayin but in this past few days this has already become the most responsive and helpful thread I've used in a long time. Thanks for the tips! Do you flock your bases before you stick the minis on?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Dark Project posted:

At first I was like...

But then I was like...

Remember kids, mental illness is serious business.

Thanks for making me feel a lot better about my recent purchases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bad highlighting and a little sloppy paint aside, which I'll fix, I'm really proud of this lil guy! Finally assembling it after all that painting was totally satisfying.

Not so proud of my bank statement since a week ago.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks!! :)

Pierzak posted:

Yep. The lines could use some touching up, but the uneven surface is actually awesome, reminds me of an old warship repainted dozens of times.

What exactly is that model? Looks Warmachine-y except good.

It's a Ghordson Driller from Warmachine mercs faction

Furnace highlight update!! I'm trying to make these guys look like they're just itching to gently caress you up

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 17, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DarkDobe posted:

Is anyone here interested in buying my Tau or my friend's Space Wuffs?
Neither one of us has the time to devote to this hobby that we used to - what with courses to be done over the next year here - and are looking to unload our armies on someone deserving for nice low prices.

He has some 400 bucks worth of wolves and looking to sell for 200-ish, I probably have about twice that in Tau - most of it unpainted, some stripped from an old paintjob, almost all assembled.

I can get a more detailed list of what is available as well as pictures - but let me know if you've interest in either.

You can PM me with any physically larger items, I want minis purely for painting purposes and don't care what game they're for.

edit: I picked up some of that BSI super thin glue in the blue label bottle from the recommendation in this thread recently. Holy poo poo that is no joke.

edit edit: Mini of the night- attempting to highlight and shade cloth

Faces are hard

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Done! It does look a bit better now yeah

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 18, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's awesome! For the screens do you print stuff out and glue it down or what?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've realized I have bought more miniatures than I have storage. Is Sabol still the best brand for minis cases?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crowleraptor posted:

So i thought i would share what i have slowly been working on between my two jobs and blowing all my money on a pile of plastic crack that builds up in the corner of my room.

This squad ive been using to re-learn how to paint, and to learn techniques i never really used like dry brushing - using new paints, like the citidel dry brush range and also playing with cutting things.

I hate duplicate models but my laziness will only allow me to do the bare minimum on models i dont see any particular value in, like these cultists. Anyway what do you all think? Comments and criticism much appreciated :)

Sorry for the rubish lighting and camera. Ive only got a phone
drat the cruel harsh unforgiving nature of close up photos.

I really really wish I could paint that cleanly and evenly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

God I hate painting skin, guys I got some questions on it though, here:

Lips and finishing the eyes, how can I go about this? mix flesh with a lipstick tone for the lips? I'm a bit afraid of doing the black dot on the eyes as I'm trying to avoid that whole O_o look.

Glad I got an hour or two to sit down with this mini again though.

The way I can get eyes to look ok is to take the eye in 3 steps. First do the eye color. Wait for that to dry and then put the whites to the side of it, covering up the original dot of color until it's the size/shape you want. Let the white dry. Then cover the white with your flesh tone until it's the size/shape you want.

Oh what Forza has taught me

Too bad I still can't shade for crap to make the rest of it look good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ineptmule posted:

Making your own seems cool and all but seriously, Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil are definitely great washes. As good or better indeed.

Do you use premade washes directly from the bottle? Is that what the mix is supposed to be like?

This is all a small sample size but I have used P3, Reaper, and Citadel paints so far. P3 seems good out of the pot no matter what I use. Reaper needs to be shaken a bunch but seems good out of the pot. Citadel has a hugely varying composition from pot to pot which goes from dry as gently caress to perfect excepting their shades and glazes, which seem great. I have to thin them a lot but I'm not sure if I should be thinning them in a bottle or if thinning them on my palette is good enough.

Either way I'm sick and loving tired of paints being in pots anyway so I'll probably transfer every paint I have over to a dropper. I've spilled seriously like 5 bucks worth of paint in my first week.

Edit: Also will Simple Green cut through Testors Dullcote and completely strip a finished mini or will I be irreversibly loving up a model if I do this?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 20, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Are there any good ways to get cyanoacrylate off your skin? My hands look like zombie hands, and the slickness is making me all butterfingers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thank you so so so much.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Time to spraypaint some fruity pebbles and toss that poo poo on

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

8 Warjacks and a shitload of infantry later, I've worn out the collet on my pin vise, and it won't hold a bit now. Anyone have any kind words for this dremel? http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-1100-N-25-7-2-Volt-Lithium-Ion/dp/B002BAHF7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1353741785&sr=1-1

It looks like it would be perfect for this kind of work especially because it goes as low as 5000 rpm.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What is the purpose of mixing medium, etc.. when it comes to mixing your own paint combinations for later use?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

stabbington posted:

useful poo poo

Is there anything I can add to a wash to reduce its surface tension? Alcohol maybe?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't know how I read that multiple times and missed that specific phrase

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How in the world do you paint a miniature with an airbrush? Wouldn't it be basically impossible to do without loving up details? I suppose this is just for big flat surfaces or something, or for base layers?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caution stripes are awesome, it really lets people know that guns are dangerous

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pierzak posted:

P3 Formula. Haven't used them, apparently they're very good for shading but their metallics are poo poo. Apparently are ink-based instead of pigment-based like GW/Vallejo.

P3 being ink-based would explain a lot to me about their consistency. I recently got back into painting and tried GW, Reaper, and P3. Reaper is my pick because they use dropper bottles, but as far as the actual ease of use on the paints, P3 felt the best.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Someone help me stop using metallics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LoG posted:

That looks good, if you haven't done it already throw some blue wash on the silver bits and some black or brown wash on the copper bits.

The only blue anything I have is some Reaper HD Dragon Blue and P3 Exile blue. Can that be thinned enough to be a blue wash? Which one should I use?

• Locked thread