Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty happy with the half of a Blood Bowl team that I've finished so far. Not amazing compared to some of the pro skills on display elsewhere, but hey. Mostly I need to work on actually taking time on models so as to get some skills down, rather than just cutting corners and doing things quickly.

(cue all the 'I paint for commission, check out my pro blending and nmm' guys kicking sand in the face of the bungling amateurs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

How do these kind of bases work? Do you get a base with a sunken bit in the middle, a scenic bit and a miniature; are you supposed to provide the scenic bit yourself or is it moulded onto the miniatures feet?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Victrix are releasing some 54mm Peninsular Infantry. drat that's exciting.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hello new project (crossposted from warhammer thread)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Seriously, just go to a music store and buy a set of guitar strings. You'll get enough to keep you going for ages and the cheapest brand will be easily affordable, even if you have bought a Baneblade.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

No Pun Intended posted:

Sweet, they look well done. What is your general opinion on them? How prompt did they ship to you? Do I Really want to buy some? (Most likely answer - yes)

They look really nicely cast, far as I can tell. They arrived ten days after I ordered them, which is better than you'll usually get from Forgeworld. If you're in the USA, however, it'd probably take a bit longer of course.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

Painting tank tracks: Brown basecoat, tinbitz then boltgun drybrushing?

Or has anyone got a better method?

Instead of brown basecoat and tinbitz, I'm all about Vallejo Dark Rust (it's in the Panzer Aces range) for tank tracks. Then boltgun, dirt with whatever method (paint, pigments or whatever) then a few bits of pencil or more boltgun on the edges that'll be clear of dirt.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Too much work, not enough time to paint spacemen.

Current WIP of the bits that got painted before I assembled the whole thing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

crime fighting hog posted:

Looks like he just stippled.

Piece of sponge for pro elite stippling action

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LewdMonocle posted:

Also. Has anyone ever tried motorizing their tanks? Found this kit at Tamiya, got me thinking..

Warseer has quite a few projects where people have done this, so if you search there you'll probably find some tips. There's a remote control superheavy out there with moving turrets and a motor too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

So how big is a 1/72 scale tank?

The thing about scale models is you can work out how big they will be :eng101:

An M1 Abrams is 9.77m, from the muzzle of the gun to rear of the hull, so a 1/72 kit would be 13.5cm long.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Iron Squid posted:

I'm putting some Sunburst Yellow onto an Ork that's been covered with black primer. The yellow looks pretty splotchy, unlike the Foundation paints I've been using. It looks like the Ork's gonna need two or three coats of yellow to look good. I just want someone to reassure me that this is normal and not a product of bad paint or lovely technique.

This is normal.

You'd be best off basecoating over the primer with either Iyanden Darksun or White, and then Sunburst Yellow, otherwise you'll have to do a good few coats of yellow to cover the black. Lots of the colours (particularly yellows and reds) don't cover darker colours very well.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Argh my shaky hands.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

enri posted:

What's the general consensus on the army painter sprays? Are they up to the job or are they a pile of shite?

Army painter grey primer is awesome and frees you from the black/white primer tyranny.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Been busy for what used to be the GBS thread. Crossposting without remorse, since I'm pretty happy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Yog-Sothoth posted:

crosspostin!

Welp, the carriage, common parts and all the bell assemblies are done, so I've got a fully painted screaming bell :D

This is pretty nice. I really like the brass of the bell itself and the contrasts between the stone colours and the bright warp-fire and skaven.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Indolent Bastard posted:

I used green stuff for the first time a few days ago with so-so results. What I'd like to know is other than liberally covering it and the working surfaces and tools with water how do you stop it from sticking to everything? I was amazed at how tacky it was.

This is gross, but supposedly works: If you have remotely stereotypical goon oily/greasy skin then you can rub the (clean) tool across the skin of your disgusting nose, for example, and this will help stop the greenstuff sticking to the sculpting tool.

Sole.Sushi posted:

:eng101:

Where does milliput fit into this? It reacts very different to water, when compared to greenstuff, but you can sand and even drill it afterwards.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Myopic posted:

Messily! It seems almost water soluble when not cured, putting it on there produces a kind of milky liquid that just gets in the way. It'd be useful for large-scale stuff because of how bloody hard it dries I think (plus it's a lot cheaper!), but I can't see myself using it for anything even approaching detail work. Mind you, I've only used Milliput super-fine for filling gaps on tanks because it sands well, so I can't speak for their other products.

Yeah this is what I've used as well, you get two white "sticks" that are in different colour wrapping to mix together. It's very messy when you add water, but once you've got a blob on a miniature, it doesn't tend to peel off as easily as greenstuff seems to. I use it for gap filling around figure arms/wrists etc where you've had to cut/file to change the angle.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

FirstCongoWar posted:

Does anyone have experience with Pig Iron heads? There's a squad painting competition at my FLGS coming up and I want to use some to make a traitor guard unit.

They're great. You just need to file down the neck a bit and they sit perfectly on cadian bodies.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Iron Squid posted:

How can I make the chainsword and bolter on my Chaos SM look good?

Basecoat tin bitz, drybrush boltgun metal, wash with badab black, thin some orangey brown colour and dab that on as rust streaks then highlight with boltgun metal.

Or use PaintVagrants Patented Rust Recipe that I can't remember right now, but he is doubtless copy pasting right now

Edit: Wait, if your guys aren't plague marines, they might not have old rusted weapons. Your guys are plague marines, right?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Iron Squid posted:

That recipe sounds pretty good.

And no, my guys aren't plague marines. Just red/black/gold Chaos Marines. I will probably be getting some plague marines really, really soon, though.

Weapons that were a nice brass colour would go well with that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

But it turns out that GW don't do non-metal metalic paints anymore. What's the best way to make metallic colours now?

Boltgun metal paint. Wash over the top with the relevant colours.

I remember when they released those metallics back in the day - the purple one was awesome.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fix posted:

I'd like to hear what others do to break up painters' block. I haven't painted anything in nearly a month thanks to traveling, and looking at the unfinished project on my desk, I just can't bring myself to leap right back into it. It's all assembly line boring troops.

Do you tend to find it's better to muscle through and finish that goal, or do you have some way to get the juices flowing again?

I just paint something else instead. I really can't face painting any of my Imperial Guard so am painting 6mm modern stuff instead.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

bhsman posted:

or start a new army and come back to the original one later.

crosspostin some teeny russians

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sole.Sushi posted:

If you have a motorpool on base, see if you can borrow some of their spray paint.

Plenty of scale modellers prime with various brands of spray paint that are intended for spraying cars, so if there's any of that around you're probably good. Just test it first to see if it comes out too thick.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Combaticus posted:

WOOP, think my trukk is about 95% done now

It is 95% done and 101% badass. The shotgun strapped the the door is sweet as hell.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ripper Swarm posted:

I swear by Fairy Power Spray for paint stripping. Spray on, leave overnight, attack with old toothbrush, job done. Plus, I'm sure you can get it in Tesco. Never tried it on enamels though.

fairy or cif power cream works awesomely. I've left metal stuff in it for a few days and the paint came off to a toothbrush with no trouble. I've only left plastic in overnight, which worked well with no damage but I don't know if it'll harm it if you leave it longer.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fix posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Crossposting because I really could use some basing advice/suggestions here.

drat, these are nice. Not the usual BLACK AND RED GOTHIC GRIM DARK SKULL SKULL SKULL
colours. I'd say urban kinda bases, maybe medium or dark grey with occasional metals and rust.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fix posted:

Edit:
So is there a good alternative for a clearcoat to Testors Dullcoat? As in something that doesn't come in a two-ounce can for eleventy billion dollars?

Plasti-kote krystal clear flat spray varnish. You'll be able to find it in art shops and at least in the UK, DIY places sell it. It's flat as all hell, not even a bit satin.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fix posted:

Huh. Looks to be UK only.

I'm sure you can get it in the US, maybe under a slightly different branding - I'm pretty sure some stateside goon reccomended it a while back too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

Also, the Defiler owns so hard but I'm going to see if I can turn it into a crouching knight titan sized device.

If you haven't already seen it, this warseer project log might interest you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

No sir, spending over an hour a piece filing the inside part of a Killa Kan to make it fit the back half is what made me hate life. And then I did it 5 more times :(.

Yay, I made my Necron tomb spider!
*I move the tomb spider very slightly and EVERY SINGLE PIECE falls off
*sob*

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Saddest Robot posted:

I've bought a bunch of pewter models from other companies and none of them were even close in terms of flash.

Were they as detailed as GW stuff? The pewter stuff I've bought in 28mm is generally less detailed than GW's figures, but the very detailed 6mm stuff I've bought has had a lot of flash and the thin strands of excess metal trailing off spiky bits? I've not really seen much Warmachine type stuff though so dunno if that has the same problem or if they're awesome compared to GW.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

privateer press, corvus belli, rackham, a bunch of other companies: dont have those stringy loving things

Weird. GHQ certainly do have the stringy bits, though their metal is much softer than GW's.

Someone should drop an email to GW and ask.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I hate it when they're lying flat across the model and you kind of have to pry them off/unwind them. It sorts of creeps me out somehow.

Somewhat randomly, I just found some patents for GW's moulding process.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

A 1/6 Sturmtiger.

There's this weird scale modelling subculture who make 1/6 and 1/4 superdetailed tanks. Mostly nazi ones, unsurprisingly.

The most entertaining part is that a lot of them are RC and you can find youtube videos of them having :airquote:battles:airquote: or just driving around.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

The minis of our past will always haunt us :(

I was young once. I was evidently poo poo at modelling, painting and realising when something was a bad idea. On the plus side, at least it wasn't titmarines

Disco 70s cop marines ITT.

Stayin alive, stayin alive

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 31, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Is this just eye shadow???

I like the "special applicator tool" ha ha I've got tons of them.

It's a slightly different consistency to eyeshadow, but yeah. My girlfriend suggested it was like makeup, but for tanks.

On the packaging, it actually says that it's not a cosmetic product :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

Boner status: PRESENT

I haven't had the courage yet to even glue together my Smog figures, let alone start painting them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Chenghiz posted:

I just need to find a fuckton of stowage somewhere.

Get some Tamiya 1/35 stowage sets from ebay or a local model shop. There's about seven or eight different kits with varying amounts of bags and gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

Here are some progress shots on my Warhound:

loving sweet. At first I was going to be sarcastic about you painting camo on a titan but then I realised that a] they used dazzle camo on battleships b] titans are shorter than buildings so camo makes sense and b] it looks cool.

The turbolaser is awesome.

What are you going to do after the Warhound is complete?

Edit:

PaintVagrant posted:

GS is kind of a bitch. Some people use light oils, try that instead of water I guess

If you've got a goony greasy face (or even just the usual amount of natural oil on your skin without being a horrifying goon) then rubbing the clean sculpting tool across your skin is often enough to stop the greenstuff sticking to the tool. GROSS BUT PRO

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 26, 2010

• Locked thread