Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

God drat them templar's is purty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

I have never been. I'm fairly new to Lincoln as it is

I work at The Game Shoppe that crime fighting hog is talking about. If you get the chance, come in on Tuesday/Thursday nights or before 4 on Saturday and I can give you a decent intro to the place.

PS people in Lincoln suck at 40k compared to dudes that game in Omaha :clint:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

So should I add a wash to the sand or should I actually paint and/or drybrush it? I'mg going to try a test base either way. I'd like to try and keep the same color, though if it comes out nicely I may redo all the finished bases with the updated basing.

I would paint it a (light) base color, drybrush it, then apply a wash, and if necessary drybrush it again. It doesn't take much time at all and makes the base fit in with the mini a lot better.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

those are loving rad holy hell

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And IIRC the guy who beat him painted loving woodgrain at 28mm. He deserved the win.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Silhouette posted:

You say this like it's something special

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic and respost the dude here because it's awesome

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

that's not the dude who beat the banner marine, that was the ork vs empire knight duel in front of a tree that I posted a few pages back

that guy got the slayer sword that year, so he beat everybody, including the marine, you're just thinking of the open category

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Well, that guy won the whole competition, but space marine dude lost the category he was in to the duel.

And everyone knows Orcs are way cooler than marines.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I found a cool thing

over here http://nomadpainter.blogspot.com/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those marines loving own. Only one of the space wolf players around here is actively painting his poo poo, the others don't even try.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

1 Priemd them with a bone colored textured spray paint
2 layered on a couple of progressively lighter colored sprays on top to give a overhead light look
3 Layered on the warm tones at the bottom
4 sponged on brown for the weathering on edges
5 used devlan mud and streaked it to make those streaky things

gonna be doin' this with mine, gently caress yeah. just maybe with different colors.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

this is the dude who painted it if you want to go make fun of him
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/297355.page

you and middleshoe have the only good responses

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zarkov Cortez posted:

:aaaaa:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Holy poo poo I didn't realize PV sold razor wire for basing... gotta order me some of dat poo poo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Do five or ten at a time, not 50. Also, I tend to alternate between squads, so right now I'm half done with my Sea Guard for WHFB and just starting on a squad of White Lions.

This is usually what I do when I have bigger squads to work with. Sometimes with my marines though (especially terminators or sternguard or something) I tend to work on one model at a time, as they're much more individual, and then I can feel like I've accomplished something every couple of hours instead of at the very end of the squad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

sansuki posted:

Rarrr Imma beastmans!

Is he gloss coated? THe paintjob looks good but he needs a matte varnish.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Finished ultramarines terms. The blue is darker and better blended in real life, but my light rig always seems to blow out blues and whites. So basically, 90% of these models :lol: The customer is doing the bases, some sort of diorama or something. Sculpting by hortwerth of MAS

holy loving poo poo :fap:

don't care what anyone says, ultramarines are rad

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I have to force myself not to buy that mini every time I go to work.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ANAmal.net posted:

EDIT: Some guy on Dakka or B&C did the math on the Spear, it wasn't more expensive than buying the units individually, just the exact same price. You literally didn't save one cent buying that damned thing. At least the Battle Company was cheap enough that it worked out to like 6 free Rhinos or something.

I did the same thing for that Deathwing box they came out with. You saved exactly zero dollars.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The battlevolkvswagon looks rad as hell, man.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

Thanks a lot! :) Think it looks like 14/12/10? That was my biggest concern.

Oh yeah, easily. You planning on putting a deathrolla on it?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

What's a good color to highlight black with? I was thinking somebody had said something about a vallejo color that works well (really dark grey) but I can't remember. I was thinking about just mixing chaos black + a small amount of adeptus battlegrey but if I can do it without having to mix paints I'd rather not (I am lazy hams).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Thanks for the help guys. Right now I'm thinking VMC Black Grey for initial highlights and then P3 Greatcoat grey for a second highlight. Coal black is a cool color and I might try it out, but it looks a little too teal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's a french GD entry, I think? Coulda swore the guy who painted it sculpted the thing himself but I could be misremembering.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

also put some bomms on there too

S.J.
May 19, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

So is he coming out of a portal? Is that what's going on?

If so I think you should paint the legs/back completely black, and only color the parts that have emerged from the portal. That would probably look cool.

If it's not a portal then I have no idea what's going on.

It looks like his upper body is emerging from an open Venus flytrap type maw.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the new Damon Prince model really isn't up to the standards of recent releases? There have been some incredible plastic kits coming out and comparatively I think that the DP is a step backwards.

It's just you :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I thought Ultramarines were the most pimp of space marine chapters? Well that's my reasoning behind it anyway, my plan was to have gold as one of the main colours. It will be on the top of the wings and around the band in the middle of the engines etc.

Usually it's because you're seeing Ultramarines 2nd company. The 2nd company trim for codex chapters is typically gold or yellow.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

he had to murder two of his children to make that mace :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

I'll put the rest of the GD pics in the main thread

Obviously the issue here is that you didn't have a big enough pedestal for your mini :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

There you have it :buddy:

A buddy of mine made like 15-20 of these alongside debris-strewn craters for his IG a few years back, they're easy to make and look awesome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AbdominalSnowman posted:

What is the trick to keeping metallics from looking gritty or patchy? I hate using them because it looks like poo poo compared to how smooth the regular colors are, but I also hate how NMM looks so I am kind of screwed.

Should I not be thinning metallics down, or should I be thinning them a whole lot more, or is that just how metallics look? Ink washes make them look a bit better, but it is still ugly.

Personally I don't thin my metallics quite as much as my regular paints, but they do need to be thinned at least some. Also, are you using GW metallics?

e: for speeeling

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 11, 2010

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Yeah, using GW metallics and a mix of Vallejo Game Color and GW for the regular colors because I have heard that GW does metallics better than anyone else. I am slowly phasing out GW paints for Vallejo because the coverage is much better and thinning takes less guesswork, but I am keeping the metallics and inks GW unless there is a better option.

I am using primarily Boltgun Metal, Mithril Silver, and Tin Bitz at the moment, not sure if those are "crappy" metallics or not.

Nah, those're the ones I use pretty often. Though I stopped using Tin Bitz and started washing the poo poo out of Dwarf Bronze. But yeah I try not to water them down quite as much as my regular GW paints. In general since I always end up slathering them with washes I don't pay too much attention to how I throw metallics down on the basecoat aside from not getting it on other paints.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 11, 2010

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

I fukken love dem water effects

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bachtere posted:

Cross posting my pirate. And barrel holding pirate monkey. :yarr:

Next you should paint Rumscratch, Dwarf Wereshark :allears:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SRM posted:

Painting a whole ton of Imperial Fists, and holy poo poo is Ogryn Flesh the absolute foulest smelling thing. It smells like I'm washing my spacemans with raw sewage. I had to prime over primer since Simple Green didn't take the Army Painter primer off.

Next to do some metallics, then their eyes in green. Oh and bolters. Then like a million other things for these boys.

Coming out really nicely.

... Are those Iron Warriors terminators in the background?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Ok, so I'm about to seal/varnish my first ever mini. Should I seal the figure by itself and then just glue it in the base, or should I seal it with the base to help keep the flocking from brushing off? Is PVA/Elmer's normally enough to keep that stuff on a base?

Doing them both at once (mini on the base) will save you the hassle of trying to glue two surfaces together that have a coat of paint on them. I've never had any issues with PVA glue letting stuff fall off the base.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

How big is that base?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, I'd definitely put some dead blood angles around him to gently caress with that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tadhg posted:

That's a pretty awesome idea with the mesh.

I'm stealing it.

This is literally the first time anyone has said anything like this about something that TBP has made

TBP, you should mark this day in your calendar

• Locked thread