Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I recently attempted (and failed) at painting my first rhino.

My first mistake:
Allowing the super glue lines to show on the outer-most parts of the rhino. I guess I got glue-happy just trying to piece the bitch together.
From then on it was just downhill :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Why were you using Super Glue and not plastic cement?

I don't use any plastic-glue/cement/etc. I find that super glue works better for me. I've heard a lot of people complain that when they set down pieces that have been glued with super glue they can fall apart, but that has never been the case for me.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Well... I'm glad I'm not alone :smug:

I am still in the process of learning so I guess its a good thing I hosed up on a rhino instead of something more expensive...

On another note.. has anyone taken the academy? And as a beginner is it a good idea? They changed some of the items you get at the end. You now get the "How to paint Citadel miniatures" book, the starter paint set including all the foundations, sand (I think), clippers, plastic glue, brush, etc. and a $30.00 box...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

my main beef with plastic cement is that it takes too damned long and I have am wildly impatient and easily enraged

I would have never guessed you to be impatient? How long are your painting stints? Do you only paint for a short time and then stop for awhile?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can anyone find any good examples of Hawk Lords vehicles? Specifically a rhino? I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas... mostly what to paint gold..

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

FirstCongoWar posted:

Hawk Lords vehicles (at least the bikes) have a lot of black in them according to the Space Marines codex. It baffled me and I just painted the rhynos straight purple without any gold, because metallic gold looks sort of dumb on tanks

I've been doing quite a few marines half gold/half purple, and just slopping devlan mud over the gold. It makes it look less fag-shiny and more battle-worn, which is pretty cool.

Found this:

Any idea how they did that?

edit: more angles because I KNOW everyone cares...

Click here for the full 1024x767 image.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2009

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

FirstCongoWar posted:

The blocks of paint are easy enough, just paint the right areas the right color. The logo actually looks freehanded.

I'd do purple/gold the way he did black/purple, probably, but I really don't think gold will look good over big surfaces like that.

I agree with you, and thinking about it now.. I don't really want THAT much gold. I think the logo is almost freehanded. He used carbon paper(?)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

C&C the freehand if you may! The rest of the paint is a little thick but I think the freehand turned out pretty well. Needs another coat of thin white!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

Dig it, after the last coat of white, thin out some of the purple and use it to clean up the edges a bit :v:

You have no idea how much this means to me :3:

Though... this picture was taken before I cleaned up the edges. I'll post a final picture when I do another coat of white.

Any tips for gloss and matte coats to keep it safe?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

gloss spray, let it dry a day, a couple of coats of matte. If youre worried about shine, just do a couple of coats of matte, but I like using the gloss...it makes the model pretty hard to damage

A couple months ago I heard that just matte might look bad.. any input on that?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
My mom: :bravo2:
Me: :colbert:

quote:

:bravo2:: Hey honey, your birthday is coming up!

:colbert::Yeah, and I know exactly what I want!

:bravo2:: Ohh do you still want those toys!?

:colbert::God dammit mom, they aren't toys!

:bravo2::They are expensive toys.

:colbert:: /cry

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Was this PV's? It's been so long since I've followed the thread but I think this deserves OP attention...

Click here for the full 612x612 image.

On another note... I am going to start a Chaos Space Marine army. Should I get the Battleforce or Renegade Strike Force? Which one will gain me more in the long run?

edit: and I would love to see some sexy chaos sm ideas thrown around... if anyone has any sweet links that would be cool :smug:

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 30, 2009

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Anphrax posted:

Was this PV's? It's been so long since I've followed the thread but I think this deserves OP attention...

Broken Loose posted:

PaintVagrant made that.

I can't tell if you're trying to make me look like a liar... but.

Also: PV = PaintVagrant. And in my OP I misspelled PV as PA. Fixed and hosed.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He was confirming your guess.
Thank you!

Sorry Broken. I've had to defend myself against the vicious Modern Warfare goons in the chat lately so I'm a bit defensive.

/defensive position

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm borrowing a buddy's GW sand, but it really feels to me like they grains of sand are too large. Does The Home Depot have sand I can use?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Broken Loose posted:

Salt.

Have you used salt before? The things warhams come up with... I would have never thought about using salt! Bah! Thank you :)

I did try the GW sand, and it didn't come out too bad :smug:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Furret Basket posted:

I can't believe how many Vallejo paints there are. What are they like compared to GW paints, since that's what I'm used to?

Maybe someone else might have a solution for this, but, look at the bottles before you buy them. Some (bleached bone I think) have two colors that you have to mix together real well before using. And they seperate every loving time. The metallics suck as somebody said above, and if you don't, I don't know... use medical tools to clean the inside of the nozzle, it will get clogged and crack the nozzle (this happened to my white).

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I felt like I was in elementary trying to guess the difference between the two top images. I could see no difference. But.. I'm a retard, soo...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
#2 I guess. But now I just think I'm on an acid trip :pcgaming:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Cthulu Carl posted:

I painted up the first batch of Qin soldiers I randomly bought:

I'm pretty happy with this first run, but there's some things I'd like to try on the other 40 or so. I was trying to go for a kind of "Possessed Terracotta Army" vibe. I'm pretty happy with the general and his jade armor, but I'd like the weapons to look more corroded and something to help the soldiers stand out from the ground. I'm thinking should look like they were highly decorated and painted thousands of years ago, but now most of it has scoured away.

I'm not sure how they look on the table, but my only comment on this picture is that the eyes seemed to glow O_O Good job on that!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
White is particularly hard to accurately paint worn or dirty in my opinion. I just started a Word Bearers army (will be posting pictures soon-ish), and I decided to go for a 10,000-year-old-worn look, try painting the white everywhere, then go over the deep crevices and edges with a mix of something. poo poo, that's hard. Maybe PV or someone else can help a little more...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

Salt crust weathering will be your best friend for this endeavor. But, even then, you'd have to think that Word Bearers wouldn't let their armor go to poo poo even over 10,000 years. Reworking of damaged pieces, repainting and all-out replacement would be a common thing. If you wanted to make it apparent that the armor and weapons were 10k+ years old, weathering might not be so effective as far as painting goes, but perhaps distressing the armor and model itself. Adding pits, scrapes, cuts with a knife and drill--superficial ones--would add a good depth of wear, and combine that with subtle weathering, like bare metal, light rust, and faded paint, perhaps even going so far as to painting a dark, dirty later under a brighter, newer one to show re-painting.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I have a method down right now. But we will see how they turn out in photos ;)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

enri posted:

'sup 'the best traitor legion ever' buddy :hfive:

Screenshot or it didn't happen :colbert:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fyrbrand posted:

Anyone here want a CSM demon prince? It's got excess glue on it here and there and inexplicably has two right hands and no left hand. I got it in the first lot of stuff I got off craigslist, but I don't feel like ebaying it. Say, $8 shipped, mostly to cover shipping?

I just bought one! :argh:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Does anyone have a good technique for painting the 'living' parts on possessed space marines? Specifically Word Bearers chapter. I'm having troubles coming up with a technique...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I need to work on my lighting situation, but until then what do you think of my first few Word Bearer CSMs? Also my first go at basing, and "worn armor" look.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

(WIP - Still need to do the "living" parts of him)

(WIP - Hawk Lords free hand)

Dammit I hate how my paint jobs always look like poo poo in pictures :argh:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Do you have a collection of your Hawk Lord photos? I know someone who's interested in painting his dudes in that scheme.

I could snap some of my low-light lovely quality, but anything would help I assume. Gimme a few minutes.

edit: imagine these with the paint thinned ;)

Liche Purple, Shining Gold, Devlan Mud. Highlight wherever. I never got around to it.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 16, 2010

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Thanks. Have you figured out what to do about the chapter markings on the shoulder pad?

Not really. I was given three boxes of SMs from the the AoBR boxes so I didn't really feel that they deserved that much work ;)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Will someone please post those sweet as Ork Jumpaz? The ones with the crazy explosion/flames coming out the bottom....

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Cakefool posted:

Jees you're all whiney little babies. I used to make money assembling killakans for kids. The trick was to use a sheet of 120 grit sandpaper taped to a workbench as a flattening surface, then take a hammer to the fucker after that. Superglue & GS to bond, bish bash bosh 1/2 hour each.

That sounds really loving orky. And badass.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
If anyone in this thread isn't following the Warhammer thread, and you're interested in oathing again, go check it out.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Warhammer Oath thread is up... check it out! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257636&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

well, this owns

Those look pretty sweet. I wish there were huge player bases at local stores like GW has.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

crime fighting hog posted:

E: Bellevue is a little suburb of Omaha. Welcome to Nebraska, enjoy the lovely weather and meth!

Sounds a lot like Bellevue, Washington. The Bunker!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The lack of a link in this post upsets me :colbert:

edit: so I was forced to use google, and found this... http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-Military-Miniatures-Plastic-Model-German-Fuel-Dr_W0QQitemZ200327123988QQcategoryZ16511QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_956

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fyrbrand posted:

Ok if you guys aren't reading GW's daily blog thing, you should because they post some pretty ownage stuff every day.

Case in point:

There's more close ups of stuff in the blog, located here.

Now I've got the urge again to do tactical arrows on my Rhinos. I need to just buckle down and do it, should be pretty easy if I mask them off and use the airbrush.

I can agree with that, but look at how stupid this looks:

Oh wow, that's cool man! Check out that sweet rear end wear and tear! Oh man that's... wtf? Why is the fist PERFECT?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
PV do you really like the p3 paints? Do you water them down just like GW paints? I might pick some up...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Hey PV, straight from my girlfriend's mouth:

"Oh my god. It makes me so jealous. Look at it! It looks real... like cloth. Like if I touched it... it would move. Like cloth!"

She pretty much just started but is better than most of the people at the local GW :argh:

Anyway, you have another admirer -- and she's hot :smug:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm working a Daemon Prince for my Purge renegade CSM army. The gooey yellow poo poo is just tack to hold it in place. I'm planning on green-stuffing some guts, but I can't decide if I should keep the whole leg connected, or what. Input would be great!

Click here for the full 973x1000 image.

Click here for the full 984x1000 image.

Click here for the full 963x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1000x954 image.

e: it'll get cleaned up/damaged more before I glue it, etc.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait. Is it using that marine for toilet paper?

Nope, just his idiot pose:

I repositioned the arm, and it looks a lot better now. Anyway, comments on the marine itself would be sweet!

this:
I'm working a Daemon Prince for my Purge renegade CSM army. The gooey yellow poo poo is just tack to hold it in place. I'm planning on green-stuffing some guts, but I can't decide if I should keep the whole leg connected, or what. Input would be great!

Click here for the full 973x1000 image.

Click here for the full 984x1000 image.

Click here for the full 963x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1000x954 image.

e: it'll get cleaned up/damaged more before I glue it, etc.

• Locked thread