Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Ive started painting again, and Ive got a bit of a question. I've been painting over regal blue with enchanted as a highlight. I'm using the enchanted in really really thin coats attempting to get gradual highlights, but it looks pretty chalky. Is this just some quirk of the paint I have, or am I missing something?

Cross posted from the warhamm thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Start with Necron Abyss.

I did. Its necron abyss -> Royal Blue ->wash in crevasses -> Enchanted Blue highlights

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
:suicide: nevermind

Morning fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 20, 2009

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

welp

They're really well painted, but I just dont like the model itself

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I finally figured out why my paint looked chalky, I was using too much water. Almost an odd concept when trying to build up layers of paint.

Simple green is the poo poo.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I tried lessing the water, but that didnt help it.

So I tried using and even less, and viola!

:ohdear:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32050

Thats the article that Ive mostly followed for the last little bit, and just figuring out this little thing I missed really is motivating.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
PV, how did you do your bone? I tried doing what I thought you did, but it doesnt seem to work out the way I want it to :(

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Agreed.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Leave it soaking for at least a week, it comes off great after a few weeks in the tank.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
What exactly is the difference between matte medium and glazing medium. They look like they do the same thing, but that cant be right..

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Devlan Mud posted:

Matte is opaque, glaze is translucent.

So they do similar things with the paint, just the matte makes it duller?

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

TotallyGreen posted:

So about a month ago in the main Warham thread !amicable posted this picture. This is the first Eldar paint scheme that I've really liked. Anyone know what paints these are? Tips on how to do the jewels? Would I use white or black primer here?

I'd say black primer
various shades of grey for highlights/gun (might be basecoated deneb stone?)3
There might be a hint of commando khaki in the mix on some of the highlights

blue gems- maybe necron abyss or another blue tinted with some black, then a enchanted blue with ice blue highlights

Other gems-something maybe dark green leading up to khaki or bleached bone, I cant really tell.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
What exactly is in green stuff? My fingertips are all cracked and dried from where I touched it, and I dont remember it doing this before.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
damp sponge under a piece of parchment paper. Bam!

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
If you have that much skill to do that with unthinned paints, stop being retarded and thin them.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Iron Squid posted:

Anyone have some decent images of Red Corsair Chaos Space Marines? I want to use that color scheme in painting my CSM but the images in the Codex aren't as good as I'd like.

I messed around with them before, so here are some links
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227346
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=129690&pid=1494244&mode=threaded&start=#entry1494244
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=165114.0 (this one is the best by far. One of his previous threads had some really nice stuff, but you now have to register to see it and I can be bothered)

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Iron Squid posted:

Awesome! Thank for those.

Oh, should I thin out my gold paint, too?

Always thin your paints :colbert:

Except maybe the very lightest shade of gold, that one came at about the right consistency twice now, so it may be the paint itself.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

I really like this! The cross on the lower shield is a bit wonky looking but otherwise it's awesome! I guess I'm just a sucker for christian iconography and knights.

Maybe some grey highlights on the hair around the hooves and tail? Other than that, pretty good

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

Ok, so i'm not as happy with the rider as i was with the dragon, its harder to do more intricate details and what not.

Still need to do some highlights and what not but its not 'that' bad is it?

Also, the paint is thinned, just looks thick with the flash, i'll get some real pictures done once it's all finished.
Wash the rider with devlan mud/badab black and the detail problem should mostly go away

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Youve gotta tell me what you did to make the bone look so good.

Its awesome :ohdear:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

drat that is depressing to look at. I may have asked you before, but how did you do the bone?

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Here's some of what I just did for the first time after about 6 months of a break

Please tell me what I can do better :ohdear:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
If you're looking at the top, it is but thats because of the glue. For some reason I couldnt get it to go together without excessive amounts of the glue, and I realized I missed sanding it off halway through the basecoat.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
These loving kasrkin legs are driving me loving nuts. I cant seem to get the cloth to look even halfway presentable. :bang:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Got a color question- I'm gonna paint up a soulgrinder, with word bearer colors, what color should I do the flesh to make it look good? Wordbearer is dark red with silver trim

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Green? Really?

I dont see it meshing well, but I have problems with green so :v0v:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Would this be a good way to paint the color of tau flesh-
Shadow grey
Asurmen blue wash
Badab Black wash
Shadow grey
highlight with lighter greys.

Or would I want to do a shadow grey/ultramarine blue for the base?

My soulgrinder sits here taunting me.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Fix posted:

Having been playing with the interference violet of late, I wholly endorse this endeavor.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-interference-colors/

I have some, but what the hell would you use em for?

Post pictures? Or atleast say how.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Hmm. I'll mess around with it and see how it goes. I dont know why I have it though..

Also- this metal is bothering me http://coolminiornot.com/239451 How the hell can I get that tone/sheen? I tried silver undercoat, then a devlan mud was, and I still cant get it looking right. Is that a lighter brown wash, or is there some gold?

Morning fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 2, 2010

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

yum posted:

Should I be thinning Foundation paints? I've been doing roughly 1:1 water mix with hormagaunt purple on white primer and this is my first time painting "properly" so I'm not sure what it should look like at first. It takes 2-3 watery coats to get a light purple color.

Also, liche purple/shining gold emperor's children csm. I used a chaos black/future floor wax wash but the result is too dark for me. What color is generally used to brighten models for washes?

Sorry for lack my pictures don't got a camera with me at the moment.

Try finding some wireform mesh used in clay sculpting. Not sure how they're priced in the UK but I picked a pack for cheap at a dollar store

Thats about what you want, maybe a liiiitle more paint in the water, but thats it :)

Add a little purple to the wash, that should lighten it more without changing the color tone.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Yog-Sothoth posted:

not the best photos since it's all green and grey but here's my greenstuffed farseer, wrists need filed and I need to pin the destructor flame blast (my oath plan B) to the hand, but first i've gotta find a way to cut the hairpin i stuck it on since I could't find my box of paperclips :/ resisted the clippers and the razor saw so far, and it's too wide for a normal pinhole too urgh

Thats.... awesome.

How did you do the blast?

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
So here are the legs of my soul grinder (le oath). I havent done the body yet.

Comments? (tell me what to do better)

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Enjoy your heart attack!

The only way a warham will go.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
ok, I hate to ask it, since I know I have it but cant find it- does anyone have the sheet where it lists the ratios of paint for each citadel color?

Like say- 1:1 regal blue and scab red= x purple

Its rather urgent :ohdear:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I'm thinking I'm gonna get some soon as well.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
tap it on a piece of paper towel to get rid of the excess water

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Ive skimmed through a good chunk of the thread, so if I missed it sorry, but what is a good airbrush to go ahead and get? Theres about a 100$ one at hobby lobby, does that sound about right for a good/decent one?

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Misread the one I was looking at, but this is the one I was thinking of
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/h-airbrush-set-596734/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
I'll take a look at michaels as well-
A compressor is no problem, my dad used to do engraving/inlay professionally for a while, and I can go over to the parents house in the next few days and pick it up since he's gotten a newer one.

• Locked thread