Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I got bored of painting my oathed stuff for a while tonight and decided to try something new. Now I've never tried painting NMM before so the first attempt probably isn't great but I thought I'd post it here and get any constructive critism. The photo makes the lines look pretty messy so I can probably clear that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Im not sure it looks like metal, but it looks rad :black101:

That's my main problem with it. I used some colours that were suggested to me but yeah it just doesn't look metal enough. I think it's probably a case of not getting the mixes right. I went with 50/50 Calthan and Snakebite Leather, then 3:1 SL and Bleached Bone, 2:1 SL/BB then 1:1, Skull White for some small highlight. Then washed over with Sunburst Yellow and added some more Skull White.

I might try and experiment with adding a bit of yellow into the mix and see if it gives me a lighter shade for the layers and actually make it look like gold instead of layers of brown.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Do any of you modelling types have any ideas on a good material to use for making a Webway Portal? I like the look of the thin bone towers in the Eldar codex and I'm wondering what they might have used to make those. A Webway Portal would be thicker than they are but any ideas about materials would be awesome. Basically I want a similar design to the Dawn of War one, so it tapers in towards the middle, making plasticard construction a big project.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I am painting up a unit of Boar Boyz for the Oath thread and wanted to put up my first one here for any constructive criticism before I finish up the first five. The other boars have different skin tones with mixes of Khemri brown, Bleached Bone amd Tallarn flesh. The base is yet to be finished completely, need to add some grasses in the gaps by the rocks and finish up the trim.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Also cross-posting!

The Great Bluedini posted:

Lots of images incoming! Tomb Stalker is finished for now. I may well add some little details here and there but I'm happy with what I've got so far. Took a few pictures of my other Necrons in store today for scale and colour scheme comparison. Enjoy!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Crossposting from the 40k thread for some feedback. It's WIP but I did the vials today and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm not too sure how to highlight the face mask though (I never was too great at highlighting black).

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Just curious: are the specular highlights on the vials painted on, or are the just that shiny? If the former, holy crap they look good. Even if the latter, they look great.

I did try painting them on but I was never all that happy with the results. I couldn't get the positioning quite right with so many vials. Annoyingly it could have done with some way of making them shiny to then see where the reflective points would be and then paint them on. In the end I settled for gloss varnish for three reasons. It meant that the specular highlight was always accurate, it was slightly easier to achieve and gloss varnish gives the vials a glass-like feel. Sure enough I'd have liked to go for painted-on specular highlights but it wasn't to be.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Been a while since I've posted in here but I'm pretty happy with this Ogre Irongut for a Battalion challenge my local store is running. Now to finish the rest of them by Feb!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your paint job forces to stare directly at his nipples~~~

Then my diabolical plan is a success!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Looking for some ideas/opinions. I'm doing some sort of battalion challenge where you can make anything from the army list but it has to be represented on the model from parts in the battalion only, so I decided to go with the Dragonhide Banner. This is it so far:

Carving scales into the banner was fun. I like the look of it so far but wanted to see if people thought they looked scaly enough I guess.

I should add that I've just given them a thraka green wash to mute the highlights a little and bring the colours together some more. With the wash on it looks really nice with a shine to it, so I may use some gloss varnish to make the scales pop.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 2, 2012

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The result of a light highlight to edges:

Definitely makes them pop, great idea! Thanks.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So for this battalion challenge I'm taking part in I have to convert a general for my army using only pieces from the box and also representing any magic items they might have. This is my attempt at a Slaughtermaster with Hellheart and Greedy Fist! The apron is made from a modified Ogre banner, while the Hellheart is a spare section of arm with a bit of green stuff to tidy up. I added the chef's hat and massive cheeks and double chin just to give him some more character.

Also it's hard to make out in this photo but I painted the veins on the heart in a deep purple. The only bit I want to work on some more is the shading on the apron's overhang but it's past 3am and I can't be bothered right now.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Crossposting since I'm very happy with how it's turned out. This is my attempt at a Lias Issodon conversion for my Raptors. Was quite quick and very fun to make. I went for the crouched position since he's a stealthy dude. The helmet is from one of Calgar's honour guard.

These two shots were taken before I changed the scroll on the shoulder pad for purity seals. It looked a bit over the top in the end and I'm happier for removing it. Still, you can see the main model from different angles.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Crossposting from the oath thread since I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.

It's not quite finished yet. I still need to detail the purity seals, seal up the transfer, tidy up the silver, finish the basing and weather it where possible, but I'm pretty happy with it! Looking at it, I might tidy up the banners on the chest as well but it'll do for now.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Sounds like a good place to start. If you want to achieve a darker look to the skin, you could try doing the wash with Thraka but mix a bit of Badab Black into the mix to darken it. Often when I'm washing over a basecoat I like to reapply that basecoat to raised areas if I've washed the whole model as the wash will often be darker than the original colour and it makes the highlighting progression a lot smoother (I hope that makes sense).

I tend to wash before highlighting so the wash doesn't overpower the highlights. That's where glazes come in, as they're used to bring the layers together whereas washes are all about shading. I'm sure other people will have better opinions on the best way to go about it though.

As for that last part, don't worry about it. My first models looked like I dropped them straight into the paint pot. With a bit of practice, your painting will improve very quickly.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I'm an idiot and put this in the main 40k thread instead of here, so I figured I'll crosspost it. Doing this dreadnought for the oath thread and I'm trying some weathering powders out for the first time. I've got a limited range but I'm trying them out with this guy as I want some rusted areas and wanted some opinions on how it looks or tips on how to improve it.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Red Shoe posted:

Awesome advice.

Cheers for the feedback. Looking at the model this morning, I quite like the rust I managed on the metallic bits but not so much on the armour. I'll have a crack at fixing it up tonight.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I've come to the conclusion that I cannot paint faces. I'm pretty sure I was able to at some point but for the life of me I cannot get the tones and highlights to work. It's generally too bright and the highlighting just doesn't look right. I don't have any examples to hand since I pulled the head off and replaced it. The old one is currently sitting in some Simple Green so I can try again once I gently caress the next one up.

Does anyone know of any good guides or tutorials for getting a good skin tone and realistic look? I'm painting some Space Marines at the moment so I've got the Tactical Squad heads (the half-bionic and the rebreather ones) to do as well as Scouts and a Librarian which I don't want to paint until I don't suck at this.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

SRM posted:

Hell Diver's tutorial and awesome pictures

Cheers for those dude, much appreciated.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Following my request for face painting techniques, here's my best result to date. Needs a bit of work to tidy up the shading and make it a bit more subtle in places but I'm happy with it. Picture's a bit dark but oh well!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I'll check my bits box in a bit as I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere.

I know I posted this dude a couple of pages ago but I just finished it and I'm quite happy with the results. Not the best photo but I'm thinking of adding a few little details to the banner and doing a bit more highlighting to the gold on the banner purity seal. Now to finish 8 more models for the squad!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

S.J. posted:

I see sprue scar on that shoulder pad :colbert:

Damnit, now I'm going to have to go back to correct that :argh:

Thankfully it didn't take long at all!

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 20, 2012

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Thanks for the kind words all, looking forward to getting th..

pw pw pw posted:

Fuegan I am gonna eat that space marine

I am going to eat him with my mouth and he will be inside of me

:stare:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

ijyt posted:

You could just Simple Green it.

I had a bit of luck with something like this by putting some PVA on the area, letting it dry and then peeling it off. It tends to take the paint away with it, so it might be worth a try. Or else yeah, Simple Green would just strip it all and you can start over.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Kind of a crosspost as I finished the Plague Toads for this month's oath. I'm pretty happy with how the Nurgle portion of my Daemon army is coming along so far!

Now for some question content. I'm practising on Pink Horrors ready for next month's oath and decided to try my hand at OSL. Now, I've not really done it before, but I kind of understand the general principle and wanted to get some opinions/pointers on my first effort. I'm trying to keep it relatively vivid to match the paint scheme of the model itself.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

You might find that thinning the paint down further will have a greater effect than changing the PSI. A few thinner coats should result in less speckling and a finer application.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Did a bit of green stuff work to make my Soul Grinder look more Nurgley and this is the result:

It also has a pair of Plague Drone wings on the back. I'm pretty happy with how it's come out. Going to paint the spines on the head like hairs, similar to the ones found on an actual fly's head. Hopefully with some painting I can make the eyes look less like I've made some green stuff strawberries. Compound eyes are a bitch to make.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Crackbone posted:

What about using an allen wrench as a greenstuff pattern-maker?

That part of the green stuff cured two days ago...

:negative:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Baxter Stockman... is that you?

Haha I thought exactly this while making it :respek:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

^^^: Did you shake it up first? I've found the new washes tend to separate quite quickly and if used in that state don't really apply very well and leave behind a very glossy coat and the wash doesn't settle well in the recesses.

Pierzak posted:

Is the new GW crackle basing paint actually worth getting? The effect looks nice but I've been burned on their new line in the past.

VVV: That's why I was asking. Making something that's actually useful? What the gently caress, GW?

To echo what Khorne Flakes said, it's ridiculously easy to use and looks great for 30 seconds of effort!

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 19, 2013

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Looking for a bit of advice on what I could add to these guys (if anything). I'm trying to get through them pretty quickly so I'm going for the FW approach of weathering instead of excessive edge highlights, but I'm not entirely sure they're quite "complete" yet. Anyone got any cool weathering techniques they've used before? (Also I know the bases are dull. I'm yet to decide what to add to them.)

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Fearless posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about more weathering; that's easy to overdo. They look worn, but not utterly wrecked. Maybe try adding a scale pattern in a lighter green here and there?

Scale pattern is a pretty cool idea. Would be subtle enough that they don't look as ornate as the Veteran Tactical Squad marines will, while still breaking up the basecoat some.

MisterG posted:

The only thing I'd add to these (keeping quick in mind) is a bit of shading on the green similar to what you did on the knee pads, but less pronounced. Something to darken the green areas in the shadows.

On the base, battlefield gubbins or rocks. You can also highlight portions of the base more to break up the space.

Yeah that's a good shout. The initial wash (the body is airbrushed Tamiya Flat Green with a 1:1 Biel-Tan Green and Lahmian Medium wash to tone it down) didn't hold so much in the recesses so I might try darkening the green wash with some Nuln Oil and seeing how it looks.

I'm probably going to go rocks on the base but I'm waiting to see the Vulkan model in person so I can theme the bases to his display base.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Mk.III has basically got a grated face plate, so there's not really much eye lense to paint unfortunately.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Hate to repost the same models but I added a little more weathering around the hands (as suggested in here) and then remembered I had a pile of Dragon Forge bases that I ended up not using for an old project!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Sisko posted:

Decided to take a break from my space wolves today and instead I worked with my airbrush on many different little things. Most notably I worked on my little brothers Crimson Fist's which I've been using the minitaire ghost tints to great effect. I just wanted to post this WIP combat squad for your thoughts/criticisms.

These are looking really cool. If you weren't going to already, I'd suggest painting the bolter casing in black to break up the blue.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I really like it. I think a yellow shade would make it look far too clean for a Skaven model. I think you could even take it a step further and use some more of the brown wash to further shade the lower edges of the cloth where it might have been dragged through the sewer water, but honestly I think it looks great as it is.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

radlum posted:

I've been trying to make the champions of my WHFB units better painted than the rest of the troops, but I still feel this Swordmaster champion needs some work:

Any suggestions on how to improve its paintjob?

This is looking cool, but what it's lacking is depth. As has been suggested in here, some washes will go a long way to adding this. Think about what tones you want on the model and where these would be added. For example, a sepia tone looks great when applied to gold. A black wash used around the star icon on the helmet would help to separate the silver and gold and really make it pop. Think about where you would expect to see darker colours/shade (like inside the helm) and that will help you figure out where to apply the shading for best results.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

This is going back a ways but what do you use for your green?

Tamiya Flat Green airbrushed, Loren Green highlight, wash with 1:1 Biel Tan Green and Lahmian Medium.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Speaking of crossposts

Fuegan posted:

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren:

Man, this one was a slog considering it's only one model. Unfortunately the photos don't really do it justice and seem to have washed it out a lot but I painted it so woohoo.

Might try and do a bit more work with the eyes but that's as good as it's getting for now. I also decided to model on a reptile scale cloak to represent the Mantle of the Elder Drake.

As I said, the photos don't really do it justice and have washed out some of the colour (the backpack looks mostly black in the second photo but is in fact green on the bottom sections) but I was in a rush so there we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Strength of Many posted:

I'm trading with a fellow and he has a (very badly painted) 40k army. I agreed because its a really good trade, in terms of what i'm getting, but I've run into a snag here.

How the hell does anyone strip paint off of GW models? Every, I mean EVERY time I've tried to the paint or primer bonded to the plastic and made it near impossible. Simple Green? Not strong enough. More caustic agents? Melt the model or turn them into a soft, pliable state. Its infuriating.

How do you guys clean GW plastics without ruining them?

Might be late to the party but if you're in the UK then you can grab some Fairy Power Spray (I believe the US equivalent is called Dawn Power Dissolver) and that's done a great job of stripping paint from plastic and metal in the past for me. If you're US-based, I keep seeing people mention something called LA's Totally Awesome which is apparently pretty good?

• Locked thread