Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It's the SdKfz 222 from the Airfix 1:76 Recon Set. Not a particularly detailed kit, but I did the best I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

howd he paint them tiny letters on there if its so small then smart guy

Those are decals. I would certainly not be able to do something that detailed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Any advice on how to do faces? Mine mostly look fine, but the eyes don't seem to show up very well, especially if there's a hat casting a shadow on them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Here, I made some army guys (Zvezda Soviet assault squad).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A light pink also works as desert camouflage (due to the way light reflects off the sand at sunrise), so that's another colour you can try using.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-British-Panther-Rover-35076/dp/B000LFWEL2

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You could always slap some putty on them and make them look like seaweed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Flame effects are really neat. The fire part might use a little more red, maybe.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I use flat flesh, then wash it with brown, then do highlighting and eyes and stuff with a toothpick. If you get the right concentration of paint to water, it works out pretty well.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man, another miniatures thread! Seems we have so many. Here's some stuff I painted recently-ish.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I could never do eyes properly. On small 1:35th figures I usually don't bother to paint them white at all, on larger ones the best I can do is get a slightly cartoony look.

serious gaylord posted:

I like the snow tank a lot.

It was a lot of fun to make! I started a bigger winter diorama after that, but that one is taking forever due to the amount of work it needs with the more complex terrain. Also it's hard to work on since it takes up a significant portion of my table :(

Megaspam posted:

I like these guys. I don't know anything about historicals. What scale are they?

These guys are 1:35th. Most of my stuff is, except for a few metal figures (like the guy I posted pointing) in 1:25th and larger plastic ones, like the guy in a poncho (1:16th).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Just finished this Tamiya armoured car.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, that's Tamiya Desert Yellow. I think it's the auto colour balance on my camera. I tried fiddling with the colour balance to make it look more like it does in real life, but it still didn't look quite right.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

moths posted:

I'd been using the Krylon Fusion "Deep Forest Green" spray to prime / paint my Russian armor. It was a pretty great match to stuff like this:

But but apparently krylon no longer produces that color. :sigh:

Really there's no "wrong green" since production was spread across many different factories and Soviet-era standardization was something of a joke.

That's not really the correct Soviet green colour (7BO), that was more like this.

However, this was the colour applied at the factory (the recipe was the same for every factory). In the field, things were a bit different. If you get paint from the factory on time, that's great, but that was the exception rather than the rule. I have quite a few Soviet tank painting instructions, and one of them offers field-expedient alternatives to getting "good enough" looking paint from brick dust and ground up twigs and stuff like that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've painted over those vinyl tracks before, but I also usually prime the whole model, with few exceptions, such as with the T-26 where you can't really get behind the suspension, but it's still fairly visible and should be painted.

As for decals, I usually put them on after washing, but before dry brushing anything.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Pz 38(t)

If God himself were to have a favorite tank it would be the 38t cuz its rad as gently caress.

Second, the 38(t) is baller as hell. Get a Jagdpanzer 38(t) too, those are also cool.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yay T-35s, everyone's favourite useless interbellum money sink. How come the one in the back has no antenna? Also, are there no rear facing machineguns in the main turrets in this kit?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Numlock posted:

From what I've read often only the company/battalion command tanks would have the horseshoe antenna, because in the pre-war period they were the only ones with transmitters. I think by the time 1939 rolls around they all had both but they didn't need the huge rear end horseshoe antennas, but I think it looked cool so that's how I modeled them.

There were rear turret machine-guns provided in the kit but I ended up using them on a pile of Zvelda T-34's I had to give them obvious hull machineguns.

Only tanks that were supposed to be used in large units (T-26, BT) had radios restricted to platoon commanders and above, tanks that were theoretically subordinate to Stavka and could be used independently all had radios (T-28, T-35). You're correct to assume that late model T-35s didn't have huge antennas, but they still had visible external ones.

You can see it in this photo, it's that ball in a cup looking device to the left of the hatch.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
New addition to my French tank family!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

I have the ghost tints and they make some pretty fancy effects

They rock, do a Char B1 bis next :dance:

The only kit of it I've ever seen was the Tamiya one, and it's outrageously expensive.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Heller also makes a Somua. If I see it, I'll pick it up for sure.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

EE does 1/35 scale hobby kits, rather than wargaming ones. Not sure about anyone else, but when I make hobby kits I like them all to be the same scale because it makes sense when they sit next to each other on the shelf, and 1/35 is the scale of choice for ground vehicles.

I also do 1:16th figures, but they're displayed separately. There's also a 1:76th scale SdKfz222 sitting on top of my monitor. I was considering getting a tank company of Zvezda's 1:100th tanks lining the top, but :effort:.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Very nice snow, I was disappointed when I scrolled down and none of the soldiers had Santa hats. The tank just looks so festive!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Very nice! That's better facial detain than I can do in 1:35th.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

dr_ether posted:

Current WIP

Rackham Zombie Wolfen

I love the handle on that scythe.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finished another tank. This one is a 1:35th MiniArt T-70 that came with infantry riders and a ZiS-3 cannon.

Here it is with the figures. The three in the back are Zvezda, the others came with the kit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Those are some sweet lightning bolts on that spaceship. How did you paint them?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like the guy with the enormous moustache. He looks like he won't take any poo poo from anyone.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Do a nice thick wash over them, I think it will add a very nice cartoony effect, especially with the skin colour you went with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that's a lot of guys. Doesn't it get boring painting hundreds of identical soldiers?

• Locked thread