Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
You guys seem to have an excellent knowledge of complimentary colours and things so i thought id ask here. I really like the look of yellow and black hazard stripes on space marines weapons, vehicles, ramps, you name it. The problem is because im painting Imperial Fists the effect obviously doesnt work. Any suggestion for an alternate colour scheme for a stripe effect that would contrast with the yellow and also convey that " dont walk here lasers come out" message? Im thinking of using the effect on larger areas possibly around sponsons on a predator or landraider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

JackMann posted:

Maybe try red and black stripes? It'd fit in with the red accents on their armor while still obviously being a warning.

That was my first thought. At the moment im using a lot of red to try and break up the yellow. Red weapons, helmets and some of the smaller details. Im a bit worried that if I use red and black stripes the red may become a bit too dominant? Would black and white stripes stand out against yellow? What options are there with colours other than black even? I know the easist way to find out would be too just paint them and see but once you paint over yellow its bloody hard to get back to yellow.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

I have a question about the way you paint these guys. I love the intense black you have in the recesses between armour panels. Is that done with a wash or are you painting over black and leaving the recesses to show through?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

SRM posted:

My models are primed with Army Painter's Crystal Blue then given a pretty healthy wash of Drakenhof Nightshade or whatever the blue wash is called, before bringing it back up to blue and leaving the shade in the recesses. It might look a little darker in the photos because of the white balance, but it's kind of my go to technique for painting power armor.

It looks great! I mean everything looks great, but that part just catches my eye.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Someone inspire me, because right now I hate painting SO MUCH.

I dont know about you but as someone who paints 40K I just read some badass fluff and before i know it i cant wait to paint up some awesome transhuman zealots

Not the best examples but im learning

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Nice looking guys. Are you going for a slimmer design or are you painting the shoulder pads separately?

The look much more nimble without the added bulk. If you like it go for it, but to a veteran player they will stick out as 'incorrect'. Quick google example of shoulderpads:

Shoulderpads are on him now. I cocked up a bit on these termies. I washed out a lot of the shading when I airbrushed my highlights. Doesnt look like much, but now that the pads are on, the recesses under them look a bit bright. Sorry bout the terrible light in this pic. Been meaning to get some good shots of everything ive done but we have a new puppy in the house and i know once i get them out something will end up in his mouth

Speckled Jim fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 28, 2014

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Is that a gloss coat or something? How did you make the yellow paint on that Termie so loving shiny? :stwoon:

Floor polish. Im in New Zealand, so I cant get my hands on future or whatever the magic one is. I just went to Bunnings and grabbed one off the shelf. I use an oil wash and clean it up with cotton buds. Somewhere along the line i think the cotton buds actually polish it to a shine? I have a couple of matt varnishes to try out but i kinda like the level of gloss. Just fortunate to stumble across a technique that works for me i guess.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
How does everyone store/display their finished models? Im currently looking at glass display cases like this one

It has four halogen bulbs in it and im curious if the heat they generate will damage my finished miniatures?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Im toying with the idea (getting very excited at the prospect) of getting an imperial knight and i would like to try my hand at painting purple. I would be using an airbrush and have a bit of experience preshading yellow already. Yellow seems to lend itself to preshading because its semi transparant, but im wondering how well this would work with purple. I currently use vallejo grey primer and im concerned that its not particularly grey. Would this leave my highlights more muted, should i track down a darker primer?

So in short, anyone have any experience airbrushing purple/ have any good tutorials?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Yup! I felt it needed a bit more of a brace, and I had a bunch of leftover skeleton arms, so why not?

Purple is a very easy color to work with and is pretty forgiving. It can depend on how bright or dark you plan to take it too; are you going royal purple or lavender, for instance? These are things you'll need to think about, but not terribly too much compared to yellow.

I'd suggest trying the preshading method on some spare chunk of something first to get a hang of it.

You're right. The only way to be sure will be to have a few dry runs. If ever there was a model to get it right on, a knight would be it. Purple with a gold trim will be a good excuse to use the liquid golds i bought a couple of months ago and havnt opened yet. They're something else Ill have to get the hang of before I tackle the real thing.

Something along the lines of this scheme

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
I was following that as it came together and i had my doubts. Finished product looks amazing though. Who would have thought the biological parts would blend into a giant robot so well. Well done!

Just noticed the little ripper on his back! drat thats cute!

Speckled Jim fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 14, 2014

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Has anyone used the Vallejo pale grey wash? How did it work?

Looked great when it was wet. Dryed kind of lackluster though. Didnt really define the detail, just kind of made everything seem a bit grimey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

You can pick up a bottle of glaze medium at most art stores for about $10 or less, and it will let you make glazes out of pretty much every paint in your collection and will last a long time. The GW ones aren't bad by any means, but price per ounce you're going to be better off making them yourself. I'd only do that once you get the hang of how glazes work though, which isn't very different from washes to be honest. Food for thought.

Ive had a bottle of glaze medium sitting around for a while and Ive played around without much success. Am I correct in assuming you just thin your paint down a whole lot? I tryed that with some GW Moot Green, to use for a glow effect on a grav gun. It didnt come out as well as the examples I had seen using premade glazes. Seemed like the glaze medium made it a bit milky looking.

• Locked thread