Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Crosspost from 40k thread

So I recently got into the 40k hobby thanks to some friends of mine. They pointed me in the driection of some people who paint quite a bit for both for fun and as a job . The proecess described to me (after priming with black) was painting the basecoat (for which I used Citadel's The Fang) , then I applied highlights and eventaully I put some Nuln Oil as a wash and I am very happy with how my models look. Ive finally started painting on some of the details and the advise of "dont get discouraged" has been invaluable. One thing I found very frustratingis painting with yellow . The first few models look OK but as I got the hang of it came more naturally to me . Im probably going to get one of the high detail brushes from Army Painter as the citadel one is not quite cutting it on smaller details. Keep in mind that this is my first time ever painting miniatures.

This one of the better models (WIP of course):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Crosspost from 40K thread.

Feeling a little more confident even though I'm still new . So I'm going to share a little more hobby progress. You have been warned.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I would say work on cleaning up your edges. Where your red and yellow are good, they're good, but the edges often look raggedy.

Your metallics look good (especially in the first picture).

I'm definitely going to clean up those edges. I did those fairly on with a standard brush from citadel. I'm going to brush over with with the Army Painter insane detail brush

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Any tips or just general advice for painting fur and pelts? Keep in mind I'm still a beginner at painting miniatures.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Crosspost from 40k thread.

Crap phone pics incoming!

Got all you see here done on my vehicles and thunder wolves today. Also worked on the interior of the drop pod and edge highlighting on my rhino.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Whats a simple and easy way to do a snow base? I'm almost finished (at least for now) with my Space Wolves and I want to start basing.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Thanks to all of you for the responses. Ill be sure to post pics of the finished army.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

Obliterator

That looks awesome. CSM was one of the armies I was thinking of playing when I started just because their models look so drat cool.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hobby time! So with work and school I have had precious little time to work on my Space Wolves , however today I able to base all of my models and work more on Njal.

(the ear fell off when someone accidentally knocked Njal out my hands)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Got a bunch done today on Njal today, basically I just need to finish few details and I'm done!

My only concern is that the leather part of the wolf cloak is too red even though I mixed quite a bit of brown into the paint. Should I give it a wash in agrax earthshade to tone it down?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Did any of you guys who are quite good at painting begin with absolutely no artist ability whatsoever? I really love the idea of painting, but in practice, every time I bust out the paints my models look like a kindergardener's work. It frustrates me and I give up pretty quick. I'm sure the answer is "be patient and keep practicing", but I'm wondering if any formerly terrible and frustrated painters have tips.

I watch a lot of painting videos for techniques and theoretically I should be able to paint decent tabletop models with shading and highlights but in practice it always looks like garbage. Maybe I just lack the manual dexterity.

I can stress enough that this is totally normal when you start painting minis.As someone who started only a few months ago I can safely say that it will get better. Once you get better by practicing you'll start to see the difference and that will make you work even harder. My first few models looked decently only because I worked at glacial pace and now after working at it over , and over again I can do decent tabletop quality at a pace that wont take ten years to complete.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hixson posted:

This is your weekly reminder that White Scar GW paint is loving terrible.

Any better alternatives? I'm painting space wolves and with all the bones and wolf skulls I'm going slightly insane from the white scars.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Been busy with school and work so I've not been able to work on my Space Wolves as much as I would have liked. However this weekend I got some spare time so I got a little hobbying done.

Grey Hunters Sqaud #1

Got some minor detail work done and finally painted the plasma guns. Need start working on the shoulder pads.

Grey Hunters Sqaud #2

See above.

Wolf Guard

Painted on metallics ,bones, and did the faces.

Njaal

Did some minor detail work on the bird and staff.

Thunder wolf Cavalry

Worked on the faces of the ridersand the cybernetic eyes of the wolves.

Rhino

Drilled bolter holes. This one just seems the hardest for me to get motivated to work on.

Long Fangs

Painted the Plasma Cannon.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Got some Dark Vengeance from a friend so I'm working on some Cultists as a change of pace from Space Wolves.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Been working on a belated birthday gift.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Is the skin a bit much? I like it, but I would like a second opinion.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

This is my WIP Nurgle Chaos Lord. I'm in a bit of a rut though about him. I cant quite decide whether I want to paint the raised parts of his armor or not (perhaps in something like brass scorpion?). Part of me thinks it may be to much the other doesnt. Thoughts?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, I'd stick to the usual: Paint the armor some version of metallic brass, give it another wash, then highlight with the original brass colour, then very lightly highlight the really really obvious raised areas (tips on the top of the knees etc.) with a really light silver colour.

EDIT: here is one I did; in some places I highlighted all the way up to plain non-metallic white. In my opinion, by the time you get to white, you're representing such a stark reflection that you don't *really* need metallic pigment.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Here is my application of said advice. Let me know what you think.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

I dig this. Not a huge expert, but the only thing I'm not sure about is the detailing on the cape. Could look sick with a deep red.

VolatileSky posted:

Rather than a different colour, how about a brighter or darker shade of the same colour to bring out the chaos sigil in the cape?

Oddly enough I was thinking of giving the cape a light wash in Carroburg Crimson and then doing the trim in either black or lighter shade of red (perhaps Wazdaka?).

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Crosspost from 40k thread

The Sisko posted:

I posted earlier about how I'm fixing up an army for my little brother. I finally managed to strip some of the worst offenders of our ebay rescues and its yielded some interesting results.

Here they are before I stripped them.

I don't know what this model is exactly. What I do know was that it took almost 30 minutes to scrub off 3 layers of paint.

I love the pose of this model. I think I'll call him Sergeant Gaston. (Also has an Inquisition shoulder pad)

"He went that way!"

Also whoever mentioned Castrol Super Clean deserves a medal. Made stripping them a piece of cake.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Here is my some more of my Nurgle Chaos Lord. Thoughts?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

This is one of a few tac marines I've been working on for my brother Crimson Fists army. My main concern is that higlights might be a little too bright , but I also tend to be my own worst critic when it comes to this stuff.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice earlier in the thread (especially SRM), been really helpful. Anyway here's a chosen Ive been working for The Independent Characters 2014 Hobby Progress Challenge. I also discovered the wonder that is Blood for the Blood God.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

I just use regular brushes and as I reach the end of my brushstroke I flick the brush upwards quickly to give it that kind of streaking.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Been busy with lots of school stuff but today I was able to work on my Forge World plague marines and the base for my demon prince. Sorry for the poor lighting in these pictures. Let me know what you think.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Pierzak posted:

I think I want that base and I don't even know what I'd use it for.

Well you're in luck!
http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_30_86&products_id=430

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hey guys I just wanted to ask a quick question. How would I paint(ie what paints and what kind of layering)the skin daemon prince in a similar manner to this ? http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss216/inquisitormedina/DaemonPrince1.jpg. I don't like they way its painted overall but I do like the skin tone.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

Your work is legendary, and hearing that from you makes me the happiest of campers :swoon:

Your work is that good , nuff said. On another note here is my WIP Typhus which I had a surprisingly amount of fun painting. Any suggestions/criticism are welcome.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 23, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Your Typhus is the first Nurgle paint job that I've seen in a while that doesn't make me want to throw up in my mouth.

I mean that as a compliment, it's a very clean and crisp paint job so far. My only suggestion is to crank up the gross factor when you start to finish it up. Or not, since I kind of dig the more corroded look over the more common pus, blood, jizz and spew motif..

Thanks man. I actually got a bunch more done on him after I posted.

I don't really know what to do with sack hes got on the side.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So I finally decided to airbrush a model today for the first time and yeah, it didnt work out so well. For reference I am using the Badger Patriot 105 and the Nebula Red Minitaire paint. The paint came out very runny and for lack of a better word sticky.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

VolatileSky posted:

I have no idea about red minitaire paint, right now I'm just using vallejo model colour and getting good results. What are you using to mix your paint with, and in what ratio? And have you taken a large sheet of paper and practised just getting smooth clean lines of varying sizes? I'm just starting too, but I'd also strongly suggest practising on metal models before going to plastics, just easier to strip. I don't know about your paint, but it does look like you put on a far too heavy coat in one pass. The other suggestion is if you based it in black, switch to grey or white, that red youre using is going to need too many layers to cover with the base showing through.

Practising on some paper will help show how much spray you can put on before it runs, and lets you dial in your mixture prior to painting.

Like sure gaylord can somehow paint super bright colours over black it looks like, but he's also some sort of paint sorcerer and us initiates are not meant to know such dark secrets before attaining our 33rd degree.

Minitaire is a range of paints produced by Badger that is supposedly pre-thinned and airbrush ready so I did nothing and just shot straight it into the well. I've been practicing on paper in exactly the same way you just described which is why I was so taken aback by the results on the mini today. Ill do some more practice on some paper since I most likely hosed up and check with the local hobby expert if maybe was something else. Anyway I took out my frustration and ended up working on a sternguard for my brother.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Adventures of Learning to Airbrush 2: Airbrush better

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 1, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WIP counts-as Pedro Kantor for my little brothers Crimson Fists army. Defintely going to clean up the knees and redo the banner.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

No joke, my favorite drop pod I've ever seen.

I'm thinking of getting into an airbrush - but I'm so afraid that I'll be poo poo at it... Was it difficult to pick up?

As someone who has just started really learning to use one the biggest hurdle is brush control. You have to build muscle memory and learn what settings you like. That being said , once you get the hang you can get great results.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Just a healthy reminder that Minitaire Ghost Tints are the best goddamn thing ever!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Worked on some Rune Priests.

And attempted some freehand.

P.s I hate doing eyes

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I really dig the direction you went with the shoulder pads.

Thanks. They were pretty simple and I liked they way they came out. I did them first in ushtabi bone and then a quick wash in agrax earthshade. Then I did a quick image search of runic letters which I then drew using a sepia micro pen. All the gold filigree was done with Vallejo Old Gold. All in all took about 15 mins (minus drying)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Used the airbrush today on the Rune axes for my Rune Priests. I didnt mask properly so I ended up with some unintentional OSL. They are little darker than the picture shows. Haven't made up my mind if I should leave them as is or give them a light blue wash. Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Accidentally put this in the main 40k thread

The Sisko posted:

Did the wash on the axe like you guys said and they turned out great. Just a few small details and these guys will be done.

Next up on the chopping block will be my counts as Arjac Rockfist and Logan Grimnar (wolf pelt not shown).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Update on my Rune Priests and my counts-as Logan Grimnar and Arjac Rockfist

• Locked thread