Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I painted up a Battle Sister today, I'm still trying to find a good colour scheme and I think I found something I like.

It's really rough, and only at the basecoat stage:

I tried going for a desert colour scheme, using the US army uniform as a reference. I usually paint the =I= thingie gold, but figured I'd use chainmail and make it be like dogtags. The picture's really dark, it looks a lot lighter on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I need some help with colours. I'm working on my Witch Hunters, and my colour scheme is khaki armour, green robes, black pauldrons and weapons, and silver trim. Here's a lovely basecoat from forever ago for a basic reference:

Fluffwise, they're from a convent on a desert world, where the majority of the (rather small) population lives in coastal cities. My army's Inquisitor, along with his personal army, come from one of these cities. The whole army's overarching theme is something along the line of desert dragons, with lots of flamers and melty guns.

I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable scheme for the Inquisitorial part of my army, which consists of the Inquis, guardsmen, vehicles (chimeras, sentinels), and a few Space Marine models as parts of the retinue. I thought of doing red to compliment the green, but there's no way in hell I'm having an x-mas army. Blue was my second choice, since they're from the coast, but I'm worried about the (admitedly very few) Marine models looking like Ultramarines. Khaki and green would obviously blend in with the Sisters, but then I'd have an army of ubiquitous Cadians. Turquoise is another option I thought of, but I'll admit, I'm poo poo when it comes to color coordination. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Here's some guardsmen I painted a while ago:

Much as I love their paint job, putting them next to my new sisters just screams "HO HO HO!" to me :smith:

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 26, 2010

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

A dremel bit with a point is great for cutting holes in plastic.

This is what I have, http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...c.jsp?locale=en

It also has a stand for holding the tool and one of those flexible shaft attachments.

Do you get to re-roll for failed projects since it's master crafted? :hurr:

But seriously, I need to get me a dremel. I know nothing about them; what's something cheap but useable?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I'm kinda stumped with painting one of my IoB clanrats. One of them has what looks like two scars or raised scabs or something along their back, along with torn cloth. Should this be painted as a scar, or should I keep them red and take advantage of the fact that when viewed under overhead lighting, the shadows make them look like deep scars from a whip?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I'm in the process of painting my inquisitor and part of his retinue with the old Rogue Trader Dark Angel colours, with the midnight black and red stripes. However, I am at a loss in fnding a suitable colour for the inquisitor's cloak. I couldnt fine any pictures of RT Angels with any kind of cloak, so any suggestion on a suitable color?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

richyp posted:

Dusted off my paintbrushes for first time in about 8 months

Where's the burning rat? :(

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

What's a good way to paint a glowing ruby sword? I swear there was something on the GW site with either blue or green glowing swords, but I can't seem to find it.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I tried to get my friend into Warhams over a year ago, but his army of choice was the then expensive Chaos Daemons, so we went to the local Hobbytown (this was before I learned of comic shops) and he bought a box of Khorne Berzerkers. Fast forward to now, he's long given up on these guys, so he gave me the whole box, and asked if I could paint some of the Berzerkers he put together.

So far so good:

Missing a leg, but I could greenstuff a nice bloody stump:

This guy looks like he's doing a Russian dance:

Aaaaand there's many things wrong with this guy. No upper legs, a crotch-gun, his head is a jawless skull with anti-grav chains... and he wants it painted first.

Strangely enough, the first model my roommate put together also had a crotch-weapon:

The rest of the box is still on sprue, so I've got some fun bits to throw around.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Sole.Sushi posted:

You're up to your old shenanigans again, aren't you? Admit it. :colbert:

Not at all. I'm working simultaneously on painting rats and my Inquisitor's retinue, and converting a bunch of scouts. I don't do shite anymore.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well, that's good but it leads me to another question: are your friend some kind of art majors? Those models are absolutely surreal. :psyduck:

Having spent a year at an art school, half my friends are art majors. However, the one that did the Berzerkers isn't. He's just... kinda really weird.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I used to use plastic and super glue about half and half, but taking apart a Mark I Rhino that's been plastic-glued changed that pretty fast. Now I use super-glue on anything that I might have to disassemble in the future (vehicles, etc), and plastic glue mostly on plasticard. Both from Zap, cuz gently caress GW's constantly leaking bottles.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

enri posted:

a quick question for all you people advocating the use of superglue because it makes it easier to take a model apart in future:

Why the hell would you want to take a model apart?

I had a boring old sentinel, took it apart and built up again to look awesome. I personally prefer building models myself as opposed to having them already made.

That, and *sigh* this. It's WIP, but I'm not sure if it's gonna turn out any decent.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

pw pw pw posted:

why why why why why why why why WHY do they put bayonets on these things

I wonder the same thing. I don't think I have a single SM vehicle accessory sprue at all though, so I gotta work with what I got. That and cut it off.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Any suggestions for where I can get some Catachan style Australian-ish heads? Theres only like 4 good heads in the catachan box

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Sole.Sushi posted:

What do you mean "Australian-ish?" Like Paul Hogan Australian?

I guess... Or just some kind of heads that arent the same boring poo poo

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I'm working on a disembarked version of the scouts in the landspeeder storm.

Gunner:

Reloading Guy:

I was gonna base them in a desert theme tonight, but all the glue in my house apparently froze. So instead I'll saw the left-handed bolter arm off another storm scout. Not looking forward to it.

Master Twig posted:

Edit: And in the last two hours I painted this happy fellow.

Funny you posted this, I've been trying to paint my old standard bearer, but the flag broke off and I've been having trouble making it stay on again.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the the regular landspeeder's multimelta will fit onto the storm's gun rail?

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 4, 2010

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Got some more work done on the Storm squad. Excuse the blu-tac and mock-up-edness

Angry, Reloady, and Gunner.

Pilot, Sarge, Lefty

Gunner, Lefty and Angry, pretty much set and glued.

Two variants of Sarge and Reloady. I really like the pose on Reloady (right-most), even if a bolter and a giant knife is a bit much, but I'm split on Sarge. The concrete block he's standing on in the first one still has to be cut in half as it's way too high, and it's barely noticeable in the photo but the second one is reloading behind a chunk of wall. Should I go with Sarge 1 or 2, or switch around who's who, or what?

Sole.Sushi posted:

Nah, seriously though, looks pretty good so far. I'd maybe lose the huge-rear end knife on the scout, but if you like it, leave it. Also, what are those heads from?

Thanks, and the heads are Pig Iron Heavy Infantry heads. They kick rear end.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Is there any US-based online bits store that has both 40k and Fantasy, and not at insane prices? I'm not gonna pay 6 bucks for a single multimelta at the Warstore, and although Bitz Barn has (most) of the Skaven and Marine bits I'm looking for, everything is out of stock there.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Fearless posted:

Motley Crue and beer for me at the moment. I'm working on some of the new FW space marines in Mk 3 armour. Great models, and I think I've completely changed the way I paint marines now... I'm getting much faster and far prettier results.

Speaking of, I just recently saw that FW brought back the ol' missile launchers. I've got some ordering to do.

EDIT: Finished the scout squad, time for prime.

Storm Base:

Cement sheetrock is the greatest.

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 14, 2010

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I've been (slowly) painting my scouts, and I ended up at an impasse.

Dude on the left is basecoated in my intended color scheme. Dude on the right is just two colors over the primer.

Black and grey looks awesome to me, but now I can't decide if the whole army should have khaki armor, black armor, or khaki armor with black armor for officers.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

So, there's something aesthetically off about marine backpacks to me, especially since I'm building hit and run mercs in stolen power armour. They seem too bulky and disproportionate to me. Anyone have any pics or suggestions for alternative packs?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

To people pages back, re: the marine backpacks,

I think the cadian vox casters look too... strange (although I've got a scout here with the IG command vox/helmet/arm and he looks amazing), and the catachan ones look fine, but I think I might end up settling for the FW Elysian grav chutes as replacement packs, they're significantly smaller and could pass as a small power supply for the suit, and I could combine shipping with the old-school special weapons and phobos-pattern bolters.

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 22, 2010

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I find that Vallejo Oily Steel and Brass are really good to use as the base for metallic areas. They have good coverage, and with a wash of badab black or devlan mud/gryphonne sepia, they highlight/drybrush up nicely if you then use GW metallics over them.

I miss the really old GW metallics where they had metallic blue, green and purple. They were of very limited use, but were absolutely fabulous.

I've got a RT marine that I can't bring myself to strip and repaint, partially because it's painted in metallic blue (and has a bitchin freehand Dark Angels crest).

I also saw the metallics and the red/blue/green citadel sprays in a store that looked like it hadn't gotten new stock in a decade (same store as the pizza for Witch Hunters story)

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Went out and bought some propellant for my cheap Badger airbrush, along with a pot of kommando khaki. Took me some time to figure it all out as I've only airbrushed minis once before, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

A few test marines (left-most marine was hand painted)

My paint ran out and it jammed spraying a rhino

Figured I'd also post some of my work-in-progress disembarked LS storm scouts. I didn't like how the guns came out, so I'm planning to repaint them black.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Sole.Sushi posted:

You may need to sand off the paintjob on the rhino when you go back for it: those spots are going to show through other airbrush layers.

I am gonna have to sand a few spots, but the paint was thinned enough that it dried pretty much flat throughout. I was worried spraying the marines because they looked really wet, but they came out almost perfect, to me at least, after multiple coats.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

So, I've been playing around with my cheap airbrush, and eventually just bought a can of Krylon Camouflage as it was the closest match to Kommando Khaki. On this Predator;

The turret was (is still being) hand-painted Khaki, but the chassis has a coat of Krylon. In person, there's a very slight difference in tone, with the chassis being just a tad darker, but is it something I should worry about, or does it look fine?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Hell Diver posted:

I got given a helmetless Techmarine with the servo-harness for Christmas and I'm just getting around to assembling it as an Iron Priest.

I've already swapped the axe head out for a SW Terminator thunder hammer head and given him the bolter option, but since he can't be equipped with any of the cool options like the flamer or plasma gun thing, should I still put them on his harness because they look cool or just leave them off and keep the two servo arms up top?

I'd leave them on; you could use it as both an iron priest and a regular techmarine, and the full harness looks so much better. Otherwise, you could put other stuff on the arms to replace the weapons, like other wargear.

Also, what Miles said.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:zerg: HUGE TBP POST INCOMING :zerg:

I improvised a lightbox yesterday and took a bunch of pictures of stuff I've been working on lately. Most of the painted stuff is still in progress and some still need lots of work.

The Mercenary Marines
[working name]

The Mercs are a small corporation running independent of the Imperium, based on a planet whose surface was ravaged by exterminatus. What remains is a barren wasteland of rock and dirty water, littered in ruins and the remnants of ancient battles (think Fallout). The marines don't follow any of the Imperial customs, such as the Imperial Cult, Ad Mech, "for the Emprah!", etc. Instead, they trade and scavenge equipment, openly deal with xenos and heretics, and sell their firepower to the highest bidder. They found ways for regular people to use power armor using thin exo-suits and neural implants. Although they maintain an armory and produce their own weapons and armor, a marine's equipment depends on what they can afford.

There are three main "classes" in the Merc hierarchy, dictated by armor color. Troopers are khaki, members of The Armoury (vehicle operators) are green, officers are jet black and Terminators are grey. The soldiers are composed of ex-patriots, former Astartes, criminals, professional mercenaries and a few xenos.

These scouts are the disembarked version of the squad from the LS Storm box (still needs a pilot). I still have to finish some of the faces and repaint the laser sights.

They all have something different drawn on their armor. Left to right: Sgt. Dion, Rowe, Trench (with a poorly painted Brotherhood of Steel emblem), Soutpaw, and "Angry" Jackson.

Their accompanying Storm, still in progress. I'm gonna paint the passengers the same as their grounded versions.

The base looks awesome- concrete board is amazing.

Tac marines with the basic color scheme. 2nd squad.

1st tac squad missile (first squad is an entire squad of former Astartes), jump marine, and a devastator. Still need black trim.

Counts-as Telion

2nd scout squad. The vox includes a positional relay, allowing the squad to send coordinates to orbital forces (counts-as teleport homer)

I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can spray the turret, and about half the scratches still need highlights.

The Mercs don't have the fancy technology to keep warriors alive after death, so they tend to scoop out the sarcophagus and install a cockpit in their dreadnoughts. I tried to give it a roll-cage but it didn't look right.

1st Jump squad

1st assault, devastator redshirt

Parts of 2nd Tactical. Sam Fisher, bolter dude, and bad rear end.

1st assault, 2nd tactical meltagun, 2nd tac sargeant with combi-melta.

2nd Jump - think Minsc; he got hit in the head a few too many times and now thinks he's an ork, and has a pet grot (which isn't glued on yet, not sure if it works there)

Not part of the army

The base is awesome though

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Sorry for the lovely iphone pics, but I put together a multi-melta tac marine yesterday

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make it look more like a movable turret instead of half a Land Raider cupola sticking out of the ground?

Also this, it had to be done

Big Willy Style posted:

Got bored on the weekend, had this guy sitting in my ute for ages, thought I would do a clever little conversion. He is from the 420th Valhallan regiment or something I don't fuckin know military poo poo.

Haha, I've been waiting for someone to do some Cadian 420th or equivalent, he needs some red eyes

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I use cheapo ColorPlace sprays from Walmart, less than a dollar per can of flat white, black and I believe grey, and it works just fine.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I built a razorback today

Mark I Rhino refitted with modern parts after being damaged in combat.

The lascannon and plasma guns are attached to a piece of tau landing gear by brass tube which is then attached to the rhino, allowing both the guns and the whole turret to swivel, and I can switch out the weapons.

EDIT: Turret detail

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 15, 2011

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Big Willy Style posted:

That conversion is pretty tight. Instead of GS I would have used milliput because you can sand it smooth, you could probably still go over with it if you wished to. Not a bad job mate. The turret sits a little too high for my liking as well.

I gotta look into that milliput. And yeah, the turret it pretty high, I might be able to trim the support down a bit more.

EDIT: This too ^^

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 15, 2011

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Tried out another design

How's this one looking?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

bhsman posted:

I'd like a side view, if possible, but otherwise it looks much better. I'm liking the 'slapdash' style of your marines thus far. :)

Thanks, also side view:

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

pw pw pw posted:

The middle piece looks just a little bit bare, is there any way you could work an aquila or something into the center between the guns?

I gotta look through my spare drop pod sprues, but I think I might have just the thing

And CFH, that is simply amazing

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Worked on the turret

I'm having problems with it swiveling too much and the guns not staying upright, any suggestions? I tried to tighten the holes using greenstuff but it only really worked with the main support.

Also, I need to come up with some fluff justification for the fist. Something about punching. Or assaulting.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Considering all the pr0-painted auctions on ebay, is there really a market for pre-painted minis? Could I start buying tactical squads, painting them to a decent standard, and just posting them all on ebay to turn a profit?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Does anyone have any good tutorials for painting lenses? I've been doing tests with using 'ardcoat to make lenses more circular and reflective, but I need some basics for them, and especially any tutorials for painting laser sight (bolters all have laser sights :colbert:)

Also Hell Diver, I tried out your recipe for faces, thats some good poo poo

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Take your pick.

Perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

WIP pics!

Dread:

Next step is to finish up highlights and little details, then I'm gonna go for all the lenses. Also needs a name for the little scroll on his leg, my brother suggested Ajax, but I'm not sure yet. There's a few patches of static grass on the base, but they all ended up looking trampled instead of standing upright.

Faces:

Pretty much only finished the skin on these dudes, as well as an Inquisitor I had sitting around. These were done with Hell Diver's recipe (plus a few steps), and look awesome in person.

When the weather gets a bit warmer, I'm gonna spray and paint the littlest land raider

• Locked thread