Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Sole.Sushi posted:

Their white is pretty good too. Doesn't pool like other white primers I've used. The redshirts often remind me (sigh) about how their primers are specifically formulated for miniatures. While that may or may not be true, 15 bucks a can is loving expensive.

They tell you about the dust coating that GW is supposed to use on their molds? The way it was told to me, the dust is so the minis don't stick to the mold, and the primer is formulated to eat the dust as a part of the priming process.

I have not verified this, just what the manager at the one I used to go to told me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Aranan posted:

We sperg about brushes and mold lines here. RAI and RAW discussions can't hold a candle to black primer vs white primer or painting before assembly vs painting after assembly.

I am pretty sure you're being mostly ironic ((Except the mold lines.)), but I've been in GW stores in which this really was the case!

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Aranan posted:

This is the only OSL tutorial I've run across.

When I get my unpainted necrons out I'm so going to try this effect with their guns. . .

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Kestral posted:

It might be worth it if you built a diorama for the army (or a particularly impressive squad), drilled some fine holes in the terrain, then embedded the smoke generator beneath it such that the "smoke" filters up through the holes around the models.

Goddamnit, now I may have to do this.

Ya know, you could also do a piece of terrain that is hot springs, imagine the look on people's face when you put that on the table.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Bistromatic posted:

Vallejo Sepia ink is pretty awesome too, mixed with a bit of black it goes on pretty much everything metal i do.

I'll second this Valleju sepia + black inks really helped when I did my warmachine models.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Iron Crowned posted:

Really, all you need to do to improve is to practice, practice, practice. You can only learn so much through feedback.

Pick a method you think will work, and just try it, eventually you can adapt it to any color you plan to use by just practicing.

This.

Seriously, I had someone explain dry brushing, and basically, it took thirty Necrons before I got to the point that I did it right every time.

And inking is something I just randomly tried at my last job. I know the basics, I had been reading painting techniques for a while. I tried it on some of the display models, and just had to practice a bunch before I got a handle on the basics.

PVs formulas make me jealous as gently caress, though.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

GoodBee posted:

I used to paint straight from the pot when I didn't know any better. It's not so bad when you open a fresh pot but the longer you paint straight from the pot, the thicker the paint gets. I used to pour water directly into the pots when I noticed them getting thick and thin my paint that way. Now I paint like a normal person.

One of the guys who worked at my local GW used to thin his paints in the pot. Used to say it had just enough room to thin the paints right. I never really tried it to know.

I'm terrible though and used to use paints straight from the pot. Though with my warmachine stuff I was particularly careful about making sure it looked good, I'll need to pull it out and see if I can find anything wrong with them.

But my Warhammer necrons were all dry brushed. . . does it make a difference then?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

when the heck did i post that

Anphrax posted it, dunno where he got your username from.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Chaos Emerald posted:

I started putting a terminator chaplain together yesterday but I'm a bit confused about how to fit it on to the base. The one that came with it is solid but the figure has a long metal bit at the bottom that looks like it should fit into a slotted base. Do you have to cut your own slot out?

I had a similar issue with Necron Wraiths (I HATE those models.), had to take a hobby knife to the bottom of the base where they had frames for slots underneath, just not precut.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Hey guys, need opinions/direction.

I've got 50 dollars expendable. I currently have NO supplies. Any recommended resources for purchasing them, and any must have items?

I figure Citadel Washes in Badab and Devlan are going to be suggested.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

bhsman posted:

Gale Force 9 Assault Template, Badab Black wash, Devlin Mud wash, Gryphonne Sepia Wash, and soap to wash the shame awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Yeah, I realized after the fact Gryphonne Sepia has been mentioned multiple times.

That Assault Template is pretty awesome, too bad I'm looking to start playing things other than 40K.

And when you say soap?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Aranan posted:

Starting from complete scratch? i.e. no brushes or palette or clippers or anything?

All my supplies are lost at this point. I've got some Necrons and some unassembled Warmachine figs in easy to reach storage.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
So. . . I just found pictures of my necrons. . .

God I need to thin my paints. Also get a good camera and a light box.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Gnoblar Scraplauncher says you're dead wrong.

Can I put Necron Wraiths in the running?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

landis posted:

Isn't that a minivan from the board game Life?

Only four holes, not six, cause that was my first thought. Maybe Life JR?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Dammit, Fix, I didn't need a reason to get back into 40K.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
I primed a couple models in white with the Reaper 'white primer' from the squeeze bottle. Sure, painting it one takes more time, but god it works.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What if I tied both sides together via red? Red eyes, red belt, red knees?

If you want something in the red family, I'd suggest orange of some degree. Burnt orange or something. Red and Green is too christmas.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

One goon did an awesome airbrush rundown, I think it was Pagan or Cakefool but not too sure. I'm sure it got linked or saved somewhere too.

I'm pretty sure it was in the Tale of Goon Wargamers thread, but I don't have archives so can't go find it.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

I just ordered one of those series 7 "miniature" brushes, with the shorter hairs. Ill post a trip report as soon as I get a chance to use it

Can't wait, as they're a bit cheaper than the Series 7s.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

There are no 2 colors that can be mixed to create these 3 colors

You sure that darkest color isn't the brown, and the middle one on the brace is a mixture of the two?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Dude. . . you awesome painting goons have ruined my tastes in shittily painted miniatures:

http://teamcovenant.com/04/14/2010/moncon-exclusives-custom-repaints/

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

dpack_1 posted:

Whats the 'double action', its a gravity feed airbrush but what can it transform into for the 'other' action?

Double action means it has two valves: one for air, one for paint.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Fix posted:

Dude, it's a Skeksis, it can only be a good thing.

http://goremasterfx.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/skeksis-the-dark-crystal.jpg

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
So, looking over P3 Paints for eventual purchase, what is the difference between Menoth White, Menoth White Highlight, and Morrow White?

Also, for Warmachine Cygnar, Purple base with green and gold accents and copper for what is normally 'gold' on the Cygnar at all doable?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Bistromatic posted:

Menoth White base is a dirty white, a bit similar to what you'd get as bone colour in most line, Menoth White Highlight is a warm off-white and Morrow White is pure white.

SkunkDuster: i have no idea about alternatives to the fixer, sorry.

So Morrow White is the one I want for mixing and Menoth Highlight is definitely better for highlighting most things.

Also image for my considered paint scheme:

I do own this set of dice, whether that is coincidence or not.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Feeple posted:

I see what you're going for, but honestly, it sounds like it will end up looking like The Hulk.

Which is why I'm going purple primary.

EDIT: Though an Ol' Rowdy painted up like the Hulk could be a cool centerpiece.

lighttigersoul fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 21, 2010

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Chenghiz posted:

That header is way too busy. I'd do a flash rotating gallery thing, if you want photos of your stuff in the header.

I'd just lower the number of models shown.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

NecronSchmecron posted:

PV, you are in the right business. Studio models like those have been replaced by CG (obviously). Believe me, my dreams were crushed by films switching to CG. Though I must admit GOOD CG models can fool me sometimes.

I wish I had the money to afford at least one of those studio miniatures when that Christies Auction was going on :sigh:

I think the switch to CG is an overall loss for film, myself. Included is the lack of practical special effects.

Not that this is on topic in the least, but studio models are loving awesome.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It kinda bugs me that some of the facing marks aren't facing the direction the models are, like the guy front and centre. Shouldn't his facing be the actual direction both his staff and face are pointing?

I'm pretty sure the rules say it's based on the model's shoulders, but when you're rimming the bases, you have a less finicky way to measure, and then I guess whatever the modeler/painter says goes?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Did they decide to bold at random? As often as they used the bold function, they're not really emphasizing anything.

But drat, those look good.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
So. . . I am taking on a hobby project that I think I will regret, but I hope is totally awesome. Watching the Monsterpocalypse masters today, and the subject of dice towers came up. I'm thinking custom Monpoc dice towers would be wicked sweet, and now want to do it. God I'm crazy. . .

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

Spray them lightly with matte varnish and then go to town, you can quickly touch up/shade/highlight pre-paints with minimal effort.

I'm still tempted to say 'gently caress it' on the monpoc stuff and just paint the megas so they looks like they're glowing or something.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

stabbington posted:

Alright, last time I post this poo poo until I take a picture of the entire finished army. Highlighting: stepped the gently caress up (I am even more in love with meredius blue than I am with coal black, a thing I had thought impossible).

I am going to need to keep that blue highlight for black in mind, it looks awesome.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
In the vein of posting our firsts:

EDIT: Goddamn, top of page. . .

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Fooley posted:

I'm just getting into 40K and I don't have a decent camera, so I'm using that as an excuse not to post my first model. I'm not...terribly ashamed of it. There's just a severe lack of detail (rivets, shading, etc) I could have done better on.

Anyway, a question as to scratch building. How the hell do you know what to go by? I don't have the actual rulebook yet (just the Ork codex) so maybe its explained in there. But all these scratchbuilt stompas and titans I'm seeing. How do you know what size to make them? I haven't found anything clear online, just WIP threads. Like, I have an idea for a wartrukk, but I get the feeling what I'd use as the base would be way too small compared to the official model. At some point I want to use it in an actual game, but I don't want it to seem like I made it small to take advantage of LOS.

I'm pretty sure as long as they're on their baseline sized base or larger, they're fine. Other folks know the base sizes better than me, but they're all standardized, so not really complex.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Skarsnik posted:

chaos black, it'll work just fine, seriously

I've used Reaper flat white for primer before. It was nice.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
I'd say it looks like they airbrushed on those highlights. . . but poo poo, is it possible to get that type of control with an airbrush?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Orktimus Prime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Sole.Sushi posted:

Hot drat. I'm so used to 40k decorum that I forgot how awesome futuristic poo poo can be.
On that line, is it wrong that I think Starcraft marines are better than 40k marines, at least about how they look?

I'll agree with this mindset.

• Locked thread