Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
How do y'all recommend highlighting Blood Red to make it 'pop' without making it look pink or more orangey than it already is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Hell Diver posted:

Had a free hour yesterday so I got the urge to paint one of the metal Catachan I had laying around. It was already primed when I got it, so I completely missed the mold line on the back of the rifle. :ssh:

Tried to go for a M-16 style blacked rifle, with the bluing worn off from use. I think it looks pretty neat with minimal effort and looks infinitely better than the bright shiny rear end steel barrels.

Still need to finish his boots, base, and combat knife on his back, but I'm pretty happy with the Time to Result ratio on this guy. Should be able to crank a squad out pretty quickly.

Not completely sold on the camo though, thoughts?

You will tell me how you painted this mofo, step by step.

Please?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

The cadian bugs me. I'm sorry, I'm a huge human being, but being able to see that it's obviously half a cadian makes it look like... well, half a cadian, and not a half submerged body. Kinda takes me out of it.

Everything else is ace and is better than anything I could ever possibly do given six years, though.

e: derp i red gud

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 11, 2010

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Gesso and cork don't look too great together. :( I hope it looks better when painted...

Always hit your cork with some thinned-down elmers before you paint. Cork is all porous and spongy and soft and poo poo, so paint will never take to it well. The glue seals it up and solidifies it without ruining the texture.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

PV get some more mixing medium

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Anyone have a good recipe for batch painting flesh, particularly faces? It's about time I get some of these drat guardsmen going.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

god drat son

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Any particular trick to the hazard stripes, or is it just a matter of taking your time?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Sounds like the paint is too thick to me - blood red is a bitch to work with, honestly.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is becoming a trend; posting your finished minis in the Oath thread, this thread and possibly the Warhammer Fantasy and/or 40K threads. Can I ask if anyone but me finds this annoying? Not *rage quit the thread* annoying but simply not necessary. Would it be too whiny to ask that it be stopped? I just find it dilutes the discussion and can get confusing when different conversations are going on about the same pics in two (or more) different threads.

yes we wouldn't want pics to get in the way of discussions re: space marine tits or the post-colonial implications of loving inch-tall metal toys

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

So I've got lots of these guys

Now how the gently caress am I gonna paint this?

Click here for the full 533x800 image.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I've always heard vallejo model colors are much more fragile than game colors, but is it a big enough difference that I need to handle them all that differently? Also, is there a base-shade-highlight chart of VMCs somewhere?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

kosher salt actually refers to salt used in the koshering ceremony, there is no special salt for jewish use only or some poo poo :eng101:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Since the topic is on orange and blue now, I figure this is the perfect time to ask this. My girlfriend is painting my AOBR Orcs and she decided to do the skin in ice blue so they'd be different. Plus, pink just looked lovely. What colors do you think she should do the armor in to really make it pop? Would orange be good or will that just be too drat bright? I've been considering a dark green.

They look like the dude on the right.

yknow for all the fuckin power rangers I saw as a kid, I don't know that guy's name

e: or anyone's name besides Goldar, Goldar owned

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Airbrushed, actually. HOly poo poo its so much faster

What did you do to make sure it gets into all the crevices and hard to reach angles? (read: space marine crotches)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

hey guy you should p take better care of your armor, that's not very good for it. gonna go all tin man and poo poo.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

simple green makes greenstuff rubbery and easy to peel off and doesn't hurt plastics

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

if you leave green stuff-encrusted platic duders for like a week, yes

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Bachtere posted:

Oath cross post. Finished Damsel (another Game Zone model).

eddie van halen on horse

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Nope, this

http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

Make sure to get flat white.

does the paint as opposed to primer actually work better, or is the difference negligible and paint's easier to get?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

How come all the various paintain guides I see call for base, wash, THEN highlight? Since the wash kinda tints everything, wouldn't it make more sense to base, highlight, and then wash to both provide depth and tie everything together? That's how I've always done it (and when I say always I mean when I paint twice per year)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

It needs more suspension stuff between the wheels, and I might add some stowage or something to the back to break up all the flat space, but I think it looks real good otherwise

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Now that I think about it, I bet it wouldn't look 'too tall' (even though I kinda like it) without the driver and with one of the old style chimera turrets

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

So, so many bad avatars in this thread. Goddamn.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

:irony:

Nah yours is cool. Football's cool, right? :respek:

No I was referring to mine as well. I got this in this thread. Or maybe it was the other one? I dunno.

Football is gone so w/e

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

e: Herpa derp wrong thread, instead I'll just say those wolves are bitchin

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Bavius posted:

Goons, let me ask you something: where is the best place to buy Vallejo model and Vallejo air paints?

warstore like everything else, really

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

what the christ why did this rear end in a top hat stretch the pa- oh. :stare:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I thought that was going to be a servokrootskull and was disappointed when I realized otherwise

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

Cross-posting from the 40k thread, but does anyone have the bare head from the Chaos Lord kit? Looking to give my GK Librarian a cool head.

I'm like 90% sure I have one at my parents' house, but I'm not sure when I'll see them again. How quickly do you need it? I'm pretty sure I owe you some sort of bit anyway.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

get dem rivets with a little bit of brown ink or something. Thin it down a bunch and don't use a whole lot, just enough to add some shading

e

crime fighting hog posted:

painting on some turpentine after using it.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 14, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

The Blue Pyramid posted:

1:144 scale tanks from Japan that I picked up at the hobby store. There's some amazing detail at this scale

Now I want to play ambush alley at like 1/3 scale. Do they make extremely tiny mans to ride in that extremely tiny Bradley?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Looks good. A lot of people (myself included) go way over the top with weathering, making everything look like an ork trukk with rust, mud, blood, and all kinds of other bullshit when no self-respecting tank crew would let their ride get that hosed up. I think the amount of weathering you've applied is just right. The only thing I would suggest is that those kinda plate things at the bottom of the chimera could use a little more definition. You could also add some stowage to the flat areas to break them up a little bit too, if you like that look... but it may be too late for that. Anyway, good jorb.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Jimbo: only you can give mini advice while quoting a 7year old StrongBad joke.

I had no idea that was from strong bad, now I'm never going to say it again.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

GBS demon prince

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

bhsman posted:

this dude is totally illegal you know

:spergin:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Bachtere posted:

My Arachnarok:

I little weird painting this thing. I have a technique for keeping my hands steady while painting details. That kind of goes out the windows when what you are painting is the size of a hand.

It's like a heavy metal wizard vanspider. loving awesome.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah I don't know how the hell you would hook up a spray can to an airbursh. Or why. But if you find out tell us.
That said, I'll vouch for tamiya primers too - they give you a very thin, tight layer of paint, but they're stupidly expensive. Their brush on primers are pretty average, you'd be better off using the spray cans than put the regular primer in an airbursh.

\/\/\/ Oh drat, what happened? I only have the one can I've had a couple years for use on characters

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 10, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I just found the greatest drat thing -

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/

All you do is plug in an RGB hex code and this site will search like a zillion different ranges of colors and find the closest ones. poo poo owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Maybe like Ice blue or something a shade darker? Just stay away from pink

also give someone gigantic eyebrows

• Locked thread