Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hello gentleman and ladies. I'm new to the Miniature painting thread but not new to miniature painting. Here's just a few of my things. I'm hoping to show you all more in the future. I apologize for the quality of the images.

Also, feel free to critique. I can take it. Right now it's going to be Salamanders and BFG Necrons.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I personally think the tactical squads look terrible in person. I definitely got more practice with the captain, there. I used goblin green for the highlight on him instead of the scorpion I gave my tactical squad. I fear mixing paint. I'm always afraid I'll never get that exact color again. Though it worked out fine with my power weapons. Also the highlight on the cap'n is a bit cleaner.

Also, I'm poo poo at BFG and always lose with Necrons.I haven't used the exact fleet shown here yet though.

Edit: more pics of the Captain.

I actually think I posted these in GBS once. He's my fave, so far. Even more than my Vulkan conversion.

Also, may I add, that just about everything I've seen in this thread is just great in some way or another. Everyone keep up the good work.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 9, 2009

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Thanks Sole.Sushi for the advice. My old roommate used an eyedropper before to mix paint ratios but he said he didn't like it too much. I think he was mixing ink now that I think about it. I kind of shied away from the dropper approach because of it. I'll give it a shot though.

I've also become accustomed to the goblin green highlight. It's not so "in your face" as the scorpion green highlight I did for my tactical squads. However, I have a metric fuckton of other Salamanders to paint and I'm always open for experimentation.

Now I know why some people strip their old models and start over again. jeez.

Also, keeping up with contributions, here's a guy who I am definitely considering painting next. He was a blast to convert. Believe it or not, he doesn't have as many pins as my Necron Scythe classes do. He has 4 and the scythes have 7. If I built the full harness he DEFINITELY would have more.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I have definitely noticed when I make the lines accidentally thin, they look perfect (in my eye). However, as I've said, this is accidental. My hands tend to shake, and although I've stopped it a lot over the past few years, smaller details like highlights and some text tends to get a little messy.

How thin (consistancy wise) should the highlight color be? I currently do thin my paint but should the highlight color be thinner?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Some of the things mentioned I do already and definitely helps. I've tried putting my wrists together but it's just awkward to me. I just try to rest my elbows. I didn't think about it before, but I do try to keep my hands in my field of vision.

I didn't think about it until you guys mentioned it, but it is probably the caffeine. I need it to get through my job. Don't think I can get rid of it completely but I can certainly cut down. Also, it is just SLIGHT shaking. It's not full blown Michael J. Fox. (ba-zing!)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
While unpacking my tau at my new place, I thought I would take some pics. The crappy blue color is the old color scheme I went with. The Red Gore (Inspired by the Blood Ravens)is the new color that I just love painting. I just hated the blue, but I needed to paint for a tournament and that was what I had in mind at the time. Also I didn't write fluff for them until now and the blue color didn't go with it. Anyway, pics.

I use a squad of these guys. He's the only painted one. :(

Hey, Fire Warriors! There's a lot more. This is going to be a very long project...

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hey everybody. My Salamanders have troops. Let's get them some space ships.

I still need to build another strike cruiser. It took me forever to pin those frigates to the bases. The Firestorm classes were more of a pain in the rear end to assemble than the Battlebarge was. The second piece to the frigate was too thin on the edges to pin so that didn't help.

Too many frigates?

This is easily becoming my favorite flying castle.

Painting coming soon.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
If chaos marines are anything like loyalist marines you can do what I did. I just assembled everything but bolters and backpacks. I got pretty good results doing that.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
It's not about everything around you needing to be at the same temperature in order for the stuff to work right. Your surroundings need to be at a CERTAIN temperature in order to get a good even coat. Generally, way warmer than freezing. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Good god. That is now officially the BEST tervigon conversion I've ever seen. I don't think many will top that.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

I've been working on these sternguard little by little each week but there is some progress. I will be taking a better pic with a wonderous white background upon completion, which should be by this weekend ::fingers crossed::

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Gentlemen, they are PiP. They have assloads of bling on their shoulders and will be getting flames on their right shoulders along with 5 kneepads. The Sgt and one or two other guys have tapestries (whatever you want to call them) which I will be painting like lizard skin (scales.) They will be similarly painted to my captain.

(sorry if I've posted these before, can't remember)

You are all correct, They aren't the best sternguard conversions. I had planned on only converting some since I wanted some plastic sternguard. Plus it was a fun little project. I have tons of AoBR marines and blinged them out a little bit with the extra bits from my tactical marines. They will definitely stand out over my regular tactical squads, don't you worry.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 17, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
^^^Because they're pretty damned cool! I pray for you brave sir.

Fyrbrand posted:

It's cool dude, we're all just trying to offer useful advice instead of B&C style circle-jerkery that benefits no one. Your stuff is still great and certainly better than my Salamanders.

My laziness to shave the mold lines distracts from the paint. I really wish I had a better idea for the helmets than just plain ol' green though. I saw others with the white and orange like you mentioned but I thought they were only okay.

Black seems cool, but ugh, the highlighting. I already have to do the backpacks and joints. As you can see on the landraider, my highlights can be a bit thick. I've been experimenting with using super thin paint to correct that. I've corrected my hand shaking for the most part but still got twitches here and there and the lines will get thicker.

Also, Fyrbrand. I've seen your stuff before. It's good. I don't remember seeing your Vulkan though. Care to post a picture? Here's mine.

I want to rework him a little bit. Definitely replace the shoulderpad. He also needs to be cleaned up a little. For now, though, he's been good to me.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 18, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Maybe mix a little mechrite with an orange color. not too bright like firey orange though.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
UGH! niiiice! I love em! I was going to do the dark elf capes for my honor guard, whenever I get around to making them with a Tu'Shan conversion.

I also love the repose on your Vulkan. That's the only reason why I didn't buy the Metal one to replace my conversion.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 18, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I think the crazy rock bases look better on terminator style and above. It just looks like there isn't enough room on the normal infantry. It's fitting to have the Salamanders on those particular ones though.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I think I love Buffalochicken and you, PV. :bravo:

Edit: Helps to read.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 20, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I'm not sure about the fantasy head, but isn't there a skully chaos space marine helmet people use to make chaplains?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fix posted:

Yeah, that's the one I indicated.

BAH! I fail, and apologize, good sir.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
So a local tournament has been announced for late march. I decided to register.

I've also decided to paint and base more in a month than I have done in the past year. :psyboom:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Its 1750 and its kind of a stupid list.

HQ
Vulkan
libby w/ terminator armor storm shield
Null Zone, Might of the Ancients (thinking of changing this since I will almost always have Null Zone up at close range)

Troop
x2 10 tac marines combi flamer power weapon
flamer multi melta

Elite
10 Assault terminators w/ thunderhammer storm shields

10 sternguard w/ 4 combi melta 1 meltagun
rhino

Dreadnought w/ extra armor multi melta, heavy flamer
drop pod

Heavy support
Whirlwind

1750 on the nose.

I've already undercoated the rhino, whirlwind and the drop pod (almost) with knarloc green. The Dreadnought's lava basing is all he really needs and that is nearly finished. I'll post pics when he's fin.

Edit: Update. Brother Rone was a non conformist. He said "NO!" to base centering.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 24, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Jesus Christ, those Rhinos are amazing.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

buy some plasticard, then lay down two narrow strips of it, on either side of the slot of the base. Glue the model down to that strip, so its raised up a little higher than the rest of the base, and when you base it most of the sand will go under the feet, as opposed to covering them

I don't know why I never thought of this. I don't really have a problem with my "giant space boots", but my Necrons kind of have the buried feet problem. I thought about ripping an pinning too, but I'm eventually redoing my necrons to stand straight so I will be all pinned out. heh.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

This captain and mine captain must :respek:

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 25, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So... am I greenstuffing wrong? I wet my fingers and my sculpting tool, but that poo poo sticks to everything I don't want it to, regardless.

I usually have a good water puddle going on the surface I'm working on. It should help.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

White glue can go yellow over time, put a bit of white paint into the mix.

I've only really seen this happen to wood glue. Is this true with elmers and GW's?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Goddamnit this Rhino is DONE!

Sternguard are nearly ready for basing. The just need a touch more detail work.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

The icon on the side is facing the wrong way :byodood:

I know... :cry: It was discovered about a month after gluing in the doors. They're on there good, I made sure of it. :doh:

Painting the flames was a blast and I think I'm getting better. I need to improve my lava though. I can't keep painting it exactly the same way as the flames. It's starting not to look right. Any tips? Should I use more orange than Yellow when I'm blending? I think its called blending, what I'm doing.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
So I'm having a problem with my lava bases. They look ok, and I like the cracks I make but I can't seem to get the lava pools just right.

An example is this jerk.

I personally think I'm using too much yellow and not enough reds and oranges. Any tips?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I don't really want to paint the Ambient light on his legs. That's a little beyond my talents and is a little intimidating, for now. I would like to get the colors right for now. I might experiment with the dried lava in the middle of the pool though.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I would at least pin one foot to secure it to the cork but I've been able to glue the other foot of my dreadnought to the cork fine with just superglue. The cork is also pretty secure to the base and I'm pretty sure it will rip before it comes off from the gluing point. Point is, Don't worry about supergluing it, it should be okay.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 2, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I know thinning metallics is a no no here, but aside from many coats to cover a piece is there another problem doing this? I thin mine and yes it is frustrating sometimes that i need to put a billion coats on but it's after that and a grepphone sepia and it looks fine. I've used unthinned gold metallics and I'd really prefer my thinned gold's look in the end.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Oh my god. My brain is literally liquid goo.

Two and a half hours of masking and painting and painting and painting again. I like the result. Might make the lines a little thinner next time.

Any suggestions on what to wash the yellow with? I really don't work with the color very often. Should I wash it at all?

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 8, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bhsman posted:

Gryphonne Sepia or DEVLANMUDBADABBLACK

Grohonne Sepia really should get as much praise as those two. I use it more than delvan mud and as much as badab black.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
That figure is very nice, man. It definitely belongs here, IMO.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I used to paint exclusively in enamels when I built dumb little space ships. Getting used to the turpintine smell was tough. I was a noob and used it in my room with just a single window open. Hmm... PAINTING IS FUN :catdrugs:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Finished these guys tonight. I tried to make em more Sternguardy, I really did :ohdear:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
That's right Alcyon, it was just paint thinner I would get at the hardware store. I think we just casually called it turpentine.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

That is not an accurate representation of a Galaxy class starship. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Why didn't I oath him?! I have tons of other HQs, no biggie.

• Locked thread