Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What's a quick and dirty way to do skin? Human skin, that is. Well, dwarf skin, if that matters.

I've often just done Dwarf Flesh then Ogryn Flesh wash. Right now I'm trying Tallarn Flesh with a Devlan Mud wash, I'll let you know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I remember seeing that on Dakka I think, like a year ago. Awesome that it's been painted.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The special features from DVDs help a lot too. I had the Tropic Thunder special features going while I painted a few weeks ago, but I'd occasionally gently caress up since I was laughing too much. Oh well!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive listened/watched Archer season 1 like 18 times while painting

This but with the Venture Bros.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hot drat that dread is bitchin.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PaintVagrant posted:

CLEARANCE
Infinity starters, warmachine stuff, resin bases, etc. for dirty loving cheap. Up to %45 off retail. Buy em.

http://www.paintvagrant.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24&zenid=0k2rivu5epgj4r6g220f7gvbq1

Consider yourself plugged: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/311430.page#1838858

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think that Squig looks like Krang from Ninja Turtles.

Might as well crosspost all up in dis bitch:

:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

So this month I oathed 18 Chaos Warriors, 20 Chaos Maruaders, 2 Guardsmen squads, a Guard command squad, and a Leman Russ - not counting the commission I've been doing! So yeah, I've been doing a lot of painting. However, I left the Marauders at my apartment, so they're not in the group photo:

The Irongob ingredient - two tank crewmen taking cover and firing the heavy bolter from their tank:

Hey guys, what's that behind you?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD :black101:

Not super thrilled with how those Chaos dudes came out, but they look okay.
And here's the Marauders I painted earlier this month:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bhsman posted:

SRM painted all those models purely for the excuse of being able to make a 4-thread-wide crosspost. :colbert:

:smug:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just thought I'd break up the Nobz discussion here so I can show off some IG I just painted for a commission:

Missile launcher teams:

Turret and more troopers:

Command squad:

I think they came out pretty good, but god am I tired of painting grey.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

^^^
It may have been a pain, but they look great. Is the silver mark on the chest of the armored ones the Imperial Aquila? If it is that's impressively tiny.

Yeah, it's a molded on detail. Thanks :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

slightpirate posted:

I'm also getting the hang of yellow on black. trick is, cross hatching layers that are really thin. At least that works for me.

Paint the area white first, then do yellow over that. Alternately, get Iyanden Darksun from GW. It'll give you a nice yellow-brown-beige basecoat to paint yellow over.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those Ghosts are bomb, PV.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm having some fun playing around with train set textures. I figure these are going to look pretty nice when painted up.

What are you using to cut the circles out? Just a knife, or some kind of holepunch for base-sized circles?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I enjoy painting the mini but by the time I get to the base I pretty much lose all motivation, wish I could gear myself up to do a better job :effort:

Just glue some grass on the base; you'd be surprised how much it does for the mini. That painjob is awesome though, good job.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Sorry to break up the blue and orange talk, but I'm working on some Imperial Fists for a commission. My Army Painter spray came out fuzzy, which bothers me, but I still did a test fig:

Drilled barrel and eye lens detail:

I noticed a few bits that need some patching up (Shoulder trim mostly) but otherwise this is pretty much how the average Marine will look. Anything else I should do to make this guy look better without adding too much more effort per man?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Cool, thanks :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

lemonslol posted:

also what is the most effective way to remove paint from plastics?

Simple Green, LA Awesome. Leave them in there overnight and scrub it off in the morning. I feel like this question has been asked and answered very recently though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MoukoKHZ posted:

First time poster. I painted this some time ago and wondering if anyone could critique on it.

I think it's kind of silly that he has a banner of his own helmet, but that's nothing to complain about. The painting is really solid, but the blade looks kind of dull, and the basing could be better. Paint your base rim with Graveyard Earth, as blank black plastic looks kind of lousy.

That's a really solid mini though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sole.Sushi posted:

Top Left: Wesley Snipes
Top Right: LaVar Burton
Middle Center: George Forman
Middle Right: Michael Clark Duncan
Bottom Center: "Angry Barry" Obama

Can anyone else match the faces? :allears:

Top row is Wesley Snipes'
Second row is Ving Rhames'
Bottom is Obamas

These are really cool.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was working on these guys for my oath, but I caught so caught up in real life crap that I didn't finish them last month. Here's a squad of 5 Terminators from my glacially progressing Iron Warriors army. This makes like 500 points now:

I'm incredibly proud of the gold I got for these guys - working up from Tin Bitz to Shining Gold, then a sepia wash in the recesses and some Burnished Gold highlights in selective areas. The skull shoulderpads are the bits I'm proudest of. I'm also happy with the Salamanders helmet on one of their trophy racks - I play against a Salamanders player back home every so often, and I loathe fighting them. Anyway, let me know what you think!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Devlan Mud posted:

More so I can be related to an internet warhams celebrity v:shobon:v

I think the Blue Table Painting guys are celebrities in the same way that Paulie Shore is a celebrity.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painting a whole ton of Imperial Fists, and holy poo poo is Ogryn Flesh the absolute foulest smelling thing. It smells like I'm washing my spacemans with raw sewage. I had to prime over primer since Simple Green didn't take the Army Painter primer off.

Next to do some metallics, then their eyes in green. Oh and bolters. Then like a million other things for these boys.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

S.J. posted:

Coming out really nicely.

... Are those Iron Warriors terminators in the background?

:ocelot::smug:

I think they're the best minis I've ever painted - think I posted them here already but welp

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just wrapped up this Imperial Fist tactical squad:

I had a real nightmare with Army Painter primer and switched to some Krylon stuff that didn't totally cover it up, even after two Simple Green baths. Ugh.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's my Iron Warriors warband so far - I just finished the Vindicator today, and the Terminators a few weeks ago. The Marines I painted up between the end of 2009 and the beginning of this year, as with their rhino. Because of this they don't look quite as good, but are still looking decent.

I'll start with the Vindicator:

And here with the rest of the army, which have their own individual threads:

And things don't look too good for the Imperial Fists:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

That's the cleanest chaos vehicle I've ever seen.

My Iron Warriors keep it clean :c00l:
The spikes break off everywhere and look like garbage

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NecronSchmecron posted:

I plan to barely have horns on my chaos marines. gently caress that, mine don't need spikes.

Speaking of spikes, SRM, is that Salamander helmet on your terminator that's painted pretty much like mine supposed to be a :tipshat: to me or just a coincidence? Either way, good choice. :thumbsup:

It's a :tipshat: to my buddy back home with a Salamanders army - I haven't gotten to fight yours yet :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's more progress on the Imperial Fists I've been painting. Here's everything I've done so far except one Marine and a biker that I forgot to get into the frame:

Terminators:

Tactical squad:

My client told me he specifically wanted the Librarian to be in his regular Marine colors, rather than Librarian colors. To offset this, I made sure his sword was distinctive and somewhat mystical looking with a nice green blend:

And his hair, which came out great if you ask me:

I think the sword came out a little too toothpaste colored; should have probably gone from Snot Green to Scorpion Green instead of straight to white. That's like the fourth blend I did on that thing though, and I got frustrated doing it over and over again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

That's a pretty fukken good idea for a conversion, SRM.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think someone asked you before, but where did you get those resin bases? Invictus somehow ended up shipping me a handful of them in some ebay haul and I have no idea where they came from.

I talked to the guy who I'm painting these for; turns out they're from Back 2 Base-ix or however they spell it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Which artists here are still accepting commissions right now?

Artists like Discount Bees or commission painters? I'm painting minis for commission but I'm a bit tied up right now with the above Imperial Fists.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Would anybody happen to have the Orc raider with pig? I love this mini and want one to paint:

email is battosai810 at gmail dot com.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

Too much?

Just right.

Now paint all your Vostroyans like this

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

:suicide:

56 Lasgunners complete! I'm just glad to be able to move onto some new models. Gonna try to get all the plasma going like that, but there's a bit less to be done with the flamers and the grenade launchers. Gotta try converting a few of one or the other to Melta, since they didn't bother to make any Vossies with them.

Well goddamn, those are looking nice. What are you thinking for bases?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

prxi posted:

I have an idea for some pretty cool terrain, but I have to cut up some old metal models to make it. Any suggestions on what I should use to cut the metal? I was thinking a diamond tooth blade, but that sounds like overkill. I was going to use a hacksaw or a jewelers saw. Would a regular blade work, or would it kill the blade?

Thanks!

What models are you chopping up? Old metal dreadnoughts/killa kans?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Are the bitz packs on GW's site direct-only, or can they be purchased at GW stores too?

Direct-only, but sometimes your GW or FLGS will let you order the bitz to the store then buy them there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NecronSchmecron posted:

:hist101:

This on top of my oath this month. It's for a commission, btw. One space marine army is enough for me right now.

What else does this commission entail? Those look really crisp.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I've been (slowly) painting my scouts, and I ended up at an impasse.

Dude on the left is basecoated in my intended color scheme. Dude on the right is just two colors over the primer.

Black and grey looks awesome to me, but now I can't decide if the whole army should have khaki armor, black armor, or khaki armor with black armor for officers.

Go for the khaki. Everybody paints their army black, and people will just accuse you of being lazy for leaving the primer as a main color. I even paint over black with black on my Iron Warriors :shepface:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just wrapped up another Iron Warriors squad:

Closeup of the OSL on the plasma gun:

Can see that lighting a bit better here:

And here's another closeup of the glow from when the model was still WIP:

I'm super happy with the gold, and the OSL was an interesting thing to try out. I don't think I'd do it for every model, but it's pretty fun! Next up are a rhino and a Warsmith.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NecronSchmecron posted:

This Catachan is the coolest guy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Awesome kans

How do you do your snow? I used some snow basing on my Space Wolves back in the day and I could never make it look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That's awesome, thanks duder :) I was just gluing snow on over some white paint, and it never looked too good. If I ever get back to my Space Wolves it'll be nice to actually give them some nice basing.

• Locked thread