Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Some dudes for my rat horde.

I'm planning on basing my whole army when I've at least muscled through the battalion box, so don't scream at me for it. But any other commentary is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I always feel horrible when drybrushing. I wipe so much paint off before touching the model, I can't help but fret that I'm wasting huge amounts of precious paint.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm gonna base all my Skaven with Ice Blue. :3:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Grey primer will set you free. :smug:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Lately, I've been mixing my own colour of 1:1 Shadow Grey:Skull White. Am I just making Space Wolves Grey? I have a horrid feeling I'm doing just that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What's the difference between the silvery metallic paints, anyway? I look at them in the jars sometimes but I don't really see much difference in colour.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

FirstCongoWar posted:

If you mean the difference between boltgun/chainmail/mithril it's basically just that the particular shades of silver are different on the model, I believe because they have more black paint pre-mixed in. Boltgun is noticeably darker than chainmail which is darker than mithril.

Sweet, that helps. Now I guess I should buy some Chainmail.

And am I using Tin Bitz wrong by painting it straight onto black? Even after shaking for a while, it's rather dark and transparent-looking on the model; should I be putting it over a silver metallic to fill it in, or is that how it's supposed to be?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Just attach a Rhino door to the thing's rear end. If it's good enough for the glorious Astartes, it's good enough for the great devourer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Please tell me there are Basestar-looking ships in this range.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't care where that came from, I just hope it's not a native english speaker, because that was pretty pathetic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They're supposed to cover way better than normal paints, letting you build up difficult colours much faster.

Also, some of them are great for clearing out the sinuses, because they smell loving awful.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You heard him! Slap some hooves on those scything talons! Giant psychic space bugs don't make sense any other way. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Screaming Bell
My only nitpick is just that the wood doesn't seperate colourwise from the stone enough. It's too weatherworn for my taste.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

What the hell happened that Clanrats turned into weird, short, monkey-proportioned dudes with no armor?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Just be mindful of how grey the primer is, and what you've primed already. Some brands are fairly similar to the plastic colour, so it can be tricky to tell how well you've covered.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I find my back winds up really hurting when I'm modeling/painting. Any tips for workspace set-up, so I can no long have a future tolling bells in France?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

people posted:

Sit up straighter!

Did this. It worked, managed to sit through fifteen white robes in one shot. I feel retarded for not just sitting up straight.

Thanks, SA/D/G/TG/TGD! :respek:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

As an added bonus, you won't dip your brush in the coffee mug right beside your water jar. (Every loving time!)

You ask for this by merely placing your rinse and your drink anywhere close to each other, dude. I keep my refreshments as far away on my desk as I can, in tall glasses.

I had a cat years ago who drank my rinse water. He loved the taste of Citadel Colour so much, he'd lick the paint residue out of the dish if I forgot to dump it and let it evaporate. :3:

He died of kidney failure. I really hope it wasn't related. :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

Chances are, no. Acrylics are mostly non-toxic, but what is non-toxic to a human doesn't mean it's non-toxic to animals. Add to the fact that cats have smaller kidneys, shorter life-spans and faster blood circulation... Well, uh. :cry:

I actually emailed GW when I started back up last year and got the MSDS for their paint, but never bothered to take it to a vet. I just keep my current cat as far away as possible, to be safe.

I instead have to worry about current kitty stealing the Skaven off my desk. v :) v

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Awesome. :sigh:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Pfft, weather. I just spray prime indoors.

My cat has lung disease. I hope it isn't related! :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The knees on that thing bother me. I'm not entirely sure both joints would bend in the same direction to move right; I feel the top joint should bend like our knees do.

What's the demon head from?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Honestly the eyes are another area that needs work. I wanted them to look like they were glowing for the whole "possessed/enchanted" look, but those globs are too much, and I even put them on with the smallest pointy object i could find.

Just do lots of really thin coats of the blue. Like, wash-thin. Let it build up a bit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MarionetteOwl posted:

Crossposting from the Warhams thread again, but I figure you're all better at painting than I am.

For the record I'm just talking citadel paints, foundations, and washes. It's all they stock.

Dwarf flesh, Ogryn Flesh.
Mithril and Badab Black.
A brown and a yellow, for hair and leather.
I feel a blue and Asurmen Blue would be good.
White and Black. Can't go wrong with those, in my opinion.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

PV, do you have any pictures of old stuff you've painted that's like, way shittier than your current standards? I'm sure we'd all like to see that your painting abilities didn't spring forth from the forehead of Zeus.

Also, I want to laugh, so the shittier, the better. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jesus, all those near-identical minis are depressing.

And not a topknot among them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Looking good. Keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it someday! :rimshot:

*SECRET UNQUENCHABLE ENVY*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My dad one Christmas got me a box of Silver Helms to go with some Orcish spearmen a buddy left me some months earlier. I hadn't the heart to tell him, since his reason was pretty sound. "You already have infantry, so I got you some cavalry." :3:

I was curious about what random army's soldiers he was going to get me for my birthday in the summer, but he kicked me out and threatened to cave my skull in, instead.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I want to see Googly-Eyed Trygon.

Broken Loose, you have three kits; make it happen.

e: oh god, does he even post in this thread? There's too much overlap for me to keep them straight. :ohdear:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Finally got my pot of Space Wolves Grey in the mail today. Now I can finish my Plague Monks. :3:

Also, uh, the actual mount for the icon on my Warlord's pole snapped off mid-pole. I krazy glued it back on, but is that going to keep? What else can I do to repair this break in my model?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I know "hurr sausage legs," but I think the new Doombull looks loving awesome. I want one, even if I know it'll never look as cool as the studio model. Whoever painted it made it look like a painting out of an Eberron sourcebook, and that's sweet as hell.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Christ, that's a huge collection of paint. It's even organized by colour. I have like, two greens. That's what, fifteen?

And nothing drives home the scale of those minis quite like seeing them next to a paint pot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

chelsea clinton posted:

Just paint him in a colour that stands out well against the plain stone of the throne.

Pretty much this. If the throne is cool greys and such, just make him one of those vivid warm-toned Skinks. He'll stand out well enough. You can even make the area of the throne directly surrounding him darker, to increase the contrast and draw the eye to the Skink.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm planning on having Space Wolves Grey be the uniting colour of my Skaven horde, and I normally just wash it with Asurmen Blue. But I want to do real blending and fancy painting when I get to my Warlord, so what's a good three-step blend involving this colour? I think Shadow Grey would be the darker shade, but any thoughts would be appreciated. (I also have Ultramarine Blue and Ice Blue, if it's any help.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Personally, I think the sand looks fine.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I've decided to base my Skaven in snowy wilderness.

:science: Give me your arctic basing tips so they don't look like rear end! :science:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Chenghiz posted:

Does anyone know a good place in the US that sells a good assortment of Tamiya poo poo online? Not sure where to even start looking, it seems like there are a million little hobby model shops.

This, but in Canada. I love Tamiya primer, but the only store in town that carries it is on the far end, some distance from the buses, and staffed by dickheads who hate any and all customers.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Maybe you could play up the Tau-y aspect, make it seem like they built it from the scraps of some Tau stuff. Looted, if you will.

Then cover it in butchered slabs of metal with rivets everywhere.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I took a length of sprue and turned it into a big toothpick I use to get the drops of paint to the palette, then I use pipettes to get the water into the paint. I just scrape the excess paint off the spruethpick back into the pot. I should figure out an improvement to this, because it's uncomfortably wasteful, but I'll wait until I have to buy a bigger toolbox.

On another note, I bought one of GW's new brushes. Do brushes break in? The brush itself looks way puffier and ragged than my current synthetic in the same size, so I've not used it yet out of terror.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

PV, I used your "Sepia on metal!" for the Horned Rat icon on my standard.

gently caress, it looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So... am I greenstuffing wrong? I wet my fingers and my sculpting tool, but that poo poo sticks to everything I don't want it to, regardless.

• Locked thread