Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Fyrbrand posted:

I read a GW masterclass article on painting Chakax, I think that has a tutorial for marble. It's on the website in the painting articles.

Because GW is a bitch to find stuff on (:argh: search engine), here's the relevant details:

quote:

2) Star-Stone Mace. Keith wanted the Star-Stone Mace to look like an untypical weapon, so he painted it with an impressive marbled effect. To do this he started with a basecoat of Scorched Brown mixed 50/50 with Codex Grey. Into this he mixed Bleached Bone for the next layer, adding a little more Bleached Bone into each successive stage. The veins on the marble were painted with Adeptus Battlegrey, and then glazed over with a couple of watery layers of Bleached Bone to blend the veins back into the marble. Lastly Keith gave the Star-Stone Mace some more glazes using watered-down washes, one of Thraka Green and Leviathan Purple, concentrating on the recesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

FractionMan posted:

Yeah, that's something I have planned already. I also think I'll combine the two ramps into one large one (and cut it down to a shorter length), if it'll allow me. Someone in the other thread mentioned the cab could be raised a bit, so I'll put some plasticard under it to do that.

I'd be careful cutting the ramp shorter, you don't want it too short. Is there any way you can lower the body of the trukk? Particularly if you're going to raise the sides/cab - it might look a bit top heavy, plus modelling for disadvantage. Hell, even if you just cut holes in the floor and drop it over the wheels, I think it would look suitably orky.

edit: Bhyo, that Sanguinor looks awesome.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Tentacle Party posted:

Yeah about that... :negative:

I had this flu right? and my SO came back from overseas, and I was waiting on more army painter spray and and... it will be completed one day.

(just ordered a trukk for this next project, FROOOOOOOOG and Combaticus you ar GOING DOWN)

I don't know when you're going to find time for all this... I barely have time to paint five space barbies.

Still, I'm not a CHEATING BASTARD who uses dips. :arghfist::saddowns:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

It's from the bike itself. I could drape bolter casings, but that wouldn't do much for it. Would throwing a storm bolter on there look less weird you think?

Two words. Dual wield.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

While the model is kinda fugly, the paint job is the best marble I've seen

how the gently caress do you do that?

Wet blending, glazes? I dunno.

Despite the awesome effect, I can't help but see that model as a paperweight. I think the striations are a bit "big".

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

actual plants to use on my warhams?

Use aquarium plants.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Bavius posted:

Haha, I don't know if that's out of my league to paint, but they look loads better than I can pull off at the moment. I understand the point though. I basically took a look at an example scout in the Wolves dex, did my best to emulate the paint scheme and tried to add some stealth to it. The idea being that if they weren't so busy running and posing they'd cover up in their camo cloaks.

I would suggest painting the rims of your bases a different colour. Probably black. It just makes the bases look that little bit better.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

:siren:Add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid to some PVA glue and gently stir through. This breaks the surface tension of the glue, making it easier to spread around. It might also help with your peeling problem.:siren:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Bobx66 posted:

Extremely excited to see how crackle works on the flat surfaces of a soulgrinder. What color scheme are you thinking? Don't forget to test it out!

Seconding all parts of this post. Additionaly, I vote for an "old ceramic fuse" scheme. With dark rusty metal bits.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I don't know if I'm sold on the poses of those models, but PV that is an awesome paintjob. I love the helmet. :swoon:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

This is pretty good for a first model. Much better than my first models.

It looks like you've done edge highlighting on the lower legs and some other parts, but not the rest of the armour. Put edge highlights on the rest of the armour, and maybe some strong highlights on the wolf tail thingies. Then base it and post more pics.

You might also want to look at doing some post processing with your photos. Picasa is free and easy to use; other people swear by Gimp, etc.

e: I should see if I still have my first models.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

pw pw pw posted:

guys

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

If you're going to be painting PVA glue, make sure you water it down a bit. You want it to be a little bit glompy, but still smooth enough to paint. And adding a tiny bit of detergent stirred in will break the surface tension and stop it from pooling.

e: PVA glue is wood glue, but wood glue is not PVA glue. :pseudo:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Aranan posted:

Okay, I could use a suggestion. I'm looking at two different ways to do the colored parts of my Cryx armor. It will be a very prevalent color on most of the models. I am looking at doing either:

Bastion Grey -> Badab -> Cryx Bane Highlight
-or-
Ironhull Grey -> Badab -> Badab -> Ironhull Grey

I have a terrible picture that I took just now on my old cell phone (my camera won't even turn on anymore). The left side is the first recipe, the right is the second. If you can even tell them apart in the photo, which one would look better on models that are mostly (that color) + bronze + silver?

Can't really see much detail, but the left side looks a bit warmer. If the metallics are going to be predominantly bronze, I'd go with the second recipe.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ikke en viking posted:

I love the feeling when I, after hours and hours of assembling and painting, finish the base and I can look at the mini and go "FINISHED!"

Painting my base rims is the sweetest part of the whole process.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

So, for those who haven't been following the Oath thread, I've just oathed the tyranid portion of a Space Hulk game with a :toxx: clause.

I was thinking of doing their colour scheme in a way that would blend somewhat with the palette of a space hulk, so I've opted to go for dark greyish-brown on the soft bits, and a steel grey on the carapace (perhaps with a reddish tinge on the edges, I'm not sure).

Anyone able to advise me of a simple method for achieving this?

edit:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 5, 2010

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. And it actually cost more total than if you bought everything individually.

The old deal was all the old style sets, but still, it was a fantastic deal. Especially those Land Raiders.

I seem to remember that deal being for half a chapter. I could be wrong. I also remember it said they'd throw in a couple of cans of primer, too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Their heads are too narrow. And holy gently caress that flamer looks terrible. It looks like GW's "airbrush".

Red Herring, that farseer is looking awesome. I think the feet blend into the robes a bit, though.

edit: table breakage :supaburn:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 16, 2010

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

maliciousonion, what is the scale of that mini, who makes it?

I have no idea.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

With regards to that ghost I posted, I think it may be coming out as a sculpt from Pizarro Miniatures. They've got this guy, whose pic was hosted at the same directory and has some similar details. Oh, and it's 54mm.

Clicky!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Guys, stop wearing out my scroll wheel with your cross-posting.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

nthing the rivets idea. superglue applied with a toothpick is a good way to make easy, small rivets.

Also, I think they need pauldrons too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I assemble purely along aesthetic lines. Hell, I have Vanguard Veterans. VANGUARD VETERANS!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

This is the rat man I am still trying to sell, it really is a great sculpt considering how old it is. Anyone got a sure fire way to do skulls? I think I have pretty much tried everything and still cant get it right.

I've found a decent easy recipe;

Dheneb Stone base
Devlan Mud wash
Thin Skull White highlight
Devlan Mud wash
Thin Skull White highlight

Possibly switch one of the washes for Gryphonne Sepia for a more yellowed look.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the pain of edge highlighting all that metal or not. After that it's just some blacklining, detail some gubbinz here and there, and bases.

Do the edging. It'll make them look even more awesome.

(Good job, dude.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Any PVA glue (a.k.a. craft glue, white glue, etc.) will do, since they're all basically the same. Just make sure you water it down some.

On a related note, I recently found clear PVA glue, I wasn't aware it existed.

• Locked thread