Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, look at me, I painted some things:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Not much to say about BT given their color scheme--but I think it turned out all right for my first squad. Any suggestions (besides "get a better brush," because I already know that one) are welcome, especially w/r/t highlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey I painted my first mini in like 2 years:

http://imgur.com/a/So0M3

Here are all my BT so far:

Edit: the Champion I painted in 2008, the Assault Squad were painted in 2011, and just did the Chaplain the other day. So my Crusader Squad should be done by early 2017 - keep watching this thread!

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 23, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Deviant posted:

The victims:
Scorched Brown
Skull White
Chaos Black
Mithril Silver
Boltgun Metal x2
Gore Red
Midnight Blue
Burnished Gold

Tallarn Flesh
Mordian Blue
(weird because these two are in the foundation pots with white tops)

And a few misc ones are in 'maybe' status, like two pods of 'Ardcoat.0

I'll be buying VMC in the future, I think.

I think they changed all the names on those paints, too. :downs:

But seriously, what are the best paints out there now? How are the P3 paints? I always loved Citadel Colour but it is a) expensive, b) confusing, and c) prone to drying out. Mostly the (a) is why I haven't already replaced it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Do you find you have trouble with keeping your hands steady? Or is it more of an aesthetic impairment, you can't seem to figure out which colors to put where?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I did a whole lot of putting gray paint over black primer today, and decided I am never hand-basecoating a tank again. Still a lot of work to be done but I thought I would give myself at least a BIT of satisfaction by painting the scanners on my Tau Hammerhead tank - so here they are!

Doesn't look half-bad from close up; I think I am getting better at the lens effect.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
^^ yeah also this, I was going to prime today but it was cold and also wet and it seemed like a bad idea.

On the Warmachine thread, someone said to do it in a shower with the curtains closed :stonk:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Real hurthling! posted:

The 3 primary color static grass is really distracting on these models.

Hey, not all planets have monochrome grass bro. Stop being spacist.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Ooh, awesome glass effect on the lenses and buttons.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

More adventures in quick painting. Bought a Cairn Wraith and converted it to fit in with Tomb Kings skeletons - I guess as a Lich Priest? Well whatever, it's a Sand Wraith now.

oooo SPOOOOOOOKY!

But isn't "Sand Wraith" a racist epithet?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sabol Army Transport trays and cases are a little more reasonably priced, but I don't like the tray bottoms - they're kind of thin. Again, I've got some older trays from them, so they may have updated their materials.

Just buy some 1/2" closed-cell foam to strengthen them.

Check out this place: http://www.foambymail.com/

Specifically this: http://www.foambymail.com/MC2-/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam-2lb.html

They also sell pick & pluck foam (what Sabol uses) but it's cheaper to go through Sabol actually.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
^^Yeah, it looks perfect. Great job!

I've finally started magnetizing my Tau battlesuit models and it's almost addictive how much more fun it makes playing with my toys. I feel the compulsion to buy more models just so I can magnetize them!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Is there a good tutorial on using green putty for filling gaps/seams between pieces? I am assembling my final Tau tank (for a while, anyway) and I want this one to not have such egregious panel lines. I tried using putty to fill the gaps on my first tank a few years ago but it didn't really work - it got a bit blobby, and has my fingerprints (literally) all over it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Dr. Lenin posted:

Rule #1 is to keep it wet.

That is a rule I did not know. :doh:

You've already been extremely helpful!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

JackMann posted:

For gaps, I usually go with Golden sculpting paste medium. It's basically the same as liquid green stuff, but white instead of green, and much cheaper.

Is it this stuff?

Where would I go to find it? An art store, I assume? Michael's/AC Moore?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

moths posted:

Are they independently owned? I've seen Testors and some others there but never GW anything. (I figured they didn't fit in with their "values.")

Yeah, GW F's too many people in the A to be family-friendly.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Same, the store I go to carries GW, Reaper, P3, Vallejo, and Army Painter stuff. They even sell Battletech and Dystopian Wars minis.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

moths posted:

I always feel bad when I see reversed Leman Russ treads. Yeah, that's how they should go in real life, but part of the joke it's that they're just copying centuries-old designs which have become religious dogma. There's just something I love about stupid mistakes becoming enshrined in tradition, and it's a nice parallel to early GW not understanding how treads work.

Hm, no, I think real life tank treads have the raised part in the front:

(Front is the left side of the image)

It's the Land Raider who is backwards.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 17, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The Gale Force Nine products are much, much better, cheaper, and easier to store.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Groetgaffel posted:

But yes, you are right, there's plenty of things in 40k that are just outright silly in the real world. Which makes total sense as 40k started out as a parody of everything grimdark.

I always liked how, in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, they can build starships that warp across the galaxy but seem to have forgotten what welding is.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Also I like to imagine that Tau stuff is literally made out of plastic, but, like, super-tough space plastic. And assembled off of giant sprues.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Remind me, what's the best spraypaint to use for priming/basecoating plastic minis? If different brands/formulas are better for infantry versus vehicles, that would be good to know too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Jcam posted:

Seconding Krylon as great primer for your miniatures. I use the Satin Primer + Paint stuff, because I like the coverage and durability of the coat on both metal and plastic.

This is my jams. It's cheap too, especially when you compare it to the cost of a GW can.

Hm, looks good.

I really want to figure out what spray paint matches GW Dawnstone (formerly Codex Grey) and basecoat my tanks with it, because brushing that on is hellacious and I don't have money/space for an airbrush right now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I would call that a banner hanging between the legs, not a tabard, since it's hanging and not being worn.

The coolest way to do it would be to sculpt it like it was flapping in the wind while the Knight ran.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So I finally got a Citadel Finecast model, specifically this one: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440287a&prodId=prod2000045a

It's a totally cool model, but like all Finecast it has a bunch of little bubbles that are really frustrating to deal with. What is the best way to fill those in? I tried the Golden Light Molding Paste, but it is too...spongey? foamy? to get the job done (so there's 13 bucks I am not getting back...) I have plenty off green stuff putty, is that the answer?

There is one major structural problem, on the front plate of his torso, but I can fix that with some strips of plastic card since it's a rectangular shape. That's not the real issue, the bubbles are.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Doctor Zero posted:

I bought a finecast model once. Once.

Greenstuff will fill the gaps just fine, or you could get some Squadron putty which is maybe a little easier to work with.

I'll check out Squadron putty if my Greenstuff efforts aren't successful.

On second thought I really should have just converted a commander from a regular battlesuit and miscellaneous Tau bits...oh well. IN THEORY, the Commander model is cooler than anything I could convert, probably.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I was gonna say, this right here is how the Tyrannic War started.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
eBay is your best bet. GW's contract with retailers forbids them from selling bits in the US.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Good to know. That seems very likely now that you point it out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Verdugo posted:

I picked up some Tamiya Basic Putty at Hobby Lobby over the weekend. I thought it was a two part epoxy style putty like kneaditite but it's even better. I love this stuff -- I can apply it right out of the tube to the seams on a model, smooth it with a wet finger, then sand it down and the seam is completely gone. I had an old metal Warpwolf Stalker stripped and in pieces, some time with a hobby drill, epoxy putty and the Tamiya Putty has it looking pretty sweet. No pics right now.

I primarily use putty to smooth in gaps in my models, as opposed to constructing new parts, so the two part epoxy putty I have from Harbor Freight works great.

After building this weekend and painting some Hordes minis, I've discovered I enjoy the modelling and painting aspect of the hobby immensely more than the playing part. Oddly, I only enjoy it if I'm painting stuff for myself -- I hate painting stuff for other people.

Hm, that sounds like a better option than green stuff, but on the other hand I don't want to support Hobby Lobby's regressive anti-employee healthcare policies.

Is it this stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Putty-Basic-Type-32g/dp/B0073T7PXG

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Awesome, much cheaper than the Golden Paste stuff.

You use very fine sandpaper, right? Like, 1000 grit?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I paint the barrel covers and sights on my Tau guns the same color as the armor, including an accent color (my squads are color-coded) along the top of the barrel. The remainder (stock, trigger guard, receiver[?], etc.) is black.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
How do I attach model heads to paper clips? Or pins, for that matter? Just jam them into the plastic? Or use a drill?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You want what is called a 'pin vice'. And the attendant drill bits in a diameter that matches or is slightly narrower than your paper-clip.

Hm, okay, fortunately I already have both of those for pinning and magnetizing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

CyberLord XP posted:

Not to knock it but I think it's lit from the bottom, not OSL. Looks baller.

:thejoke:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

BULBASAUR posted:

WIP on my 30k vindicators. It's so bright and purdy before I attack it with steel wool and oil washes:

Where are the vehicle mods from? Not Forgeworld, right?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey, can someone remind me the best way to take apart plastic minis that have been put together with plastic cement?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That's what I figured. I realized I made some extra Space Marines with bolters...but I guess they are here to stay, there would be too much trouble involved in removing their arms.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

That's awesome. How does the game play?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cooked Auto posted:

I just tend to gently scrape off mouldlines with my x-acto knife as someone taught me a long time ago and so far it has worked just fine.

Yeah I assumed everyone did this, and used files for metal models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Bavius posted:

I don't think you can see it due to my phone hand being shaky but I did do a very light white/blue on the edges.

Squad Ikanos

Squad Kratos

Those power weapons look great!

It's a shame terminator assault squads aren't more useful in the current edition because I really want to make some maybe I will anyway

• Locked thread