Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Please excuse the crappy photos (I need a new camera/lighting apparently).

Finished my first space man squad ever (to my satisfaction anyway).

I'd put up the photos with the barrels drilled, but it didn't seem like a big enough change to warrant suffering another round with my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

bhsman posted:

Looks like they're skipping on ice floes. :v:

That was the intent. Initially started out trying to level each of their LOS positions so I wouldn't have to worry about very high walls (that my FLGS insists on modeling). The kneeling guys on big slabs of plaster didn't fit in well, and I couldn't think of a better terrain so I went with ice flows.

I take it the camo guns were a bad idea? Sounds like you think I should paint the whole gun up bolter style. Should I keep any of the original camo or scrap all of it?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

bhsman posted:

Oh. It's camo. :doh:

Honestly one idea I've seen for 'sneaky' units like Eldar Rangers/Pathfinders, Kommandos and some Space Marine Scout units (usually from Raven Guard/successor armies) is to paint the entire model in camouflage/exactly like the bases except for the flesh areas. I'll try and find a matching picture if possible.

EDIT: Found it

Haha, I don't know if that's out of my league to paint, but they look loads better than I can pull off at the moment. I understand the point though. I basically took a look at an example scout in the Wolves dex, did my best to emulate the paint scheme and tried to add some stealth to it. The idea being that if they weren't so busy running and posing they'd cover up in their camo cloaks.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This.

is the wrong advice. Your bases look awesome as they are.

Thank you, sir. I've heard the black rim idea more than once. Personally I'm not sold yet. I get it for a regular base where there is a lot going on. These are pretty straightforward with water effects.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

What do you guys think about airbrushes? Worth it or no? I found this little airbrush. I'm willing to throw down 100-300 so long as I won't be upgrading it for something better in a year or two (or have to pay that much in upkeep).

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

What needle size should I shoot for? Ideally I'll be working it into painting everything. But at the moment I have two insanely huge projects. A stompa and a baneblade turned skullhamma.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

HKR posted:

Airbrushes are incredibly worth it. That one will be great for base coats, but something with a smaller needle will do insane detail work.

And yes, they really shine best with tanks.

What size needle do I want? Going to purchase one online tonight - pretty excited to try airbrushing out.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Sweet. I'll be sure to post up my first model once I get the airbrush. I've got a stompa that is staring at me as I type. Also have a baneblade that I dreaded putting together just because I couldn't fathom painting it.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

From what I've been hearing and reading, you want the dual action. How it feeds doesn't seem as important, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from those who took the time to struggle through it first.

Masking tape and poster putty should be pretty slick for helping out with camo. That's straight out of the GW painting tanks book.

EDIT: Just bought it. Excited.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 26, 2010

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

SRM posted:

It seems the same guy is in focus in all three of these, the one that's :pwn:. I do like the plasma gun and auspex guy tons.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Goons, let me ask you something: where is the best place to buy Vallejo model and Vallejo air paints?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Good evening gents. I got the urge to make my Space Wolves Lord, Engir Krakendoom. The photo doesn't do him much justice. I will have to post a better set of photos tomorrow, but I'm pretty proud to the conversion. Biker arm + grey knight terminator halberd = awesome. The only bit I'm unsure of is the helmet. Was thinking of doing the wolf head, but that might be too much wolf wolf.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

^^^^^^
What's wrong with your fingernails? :zombie:

Primer. poo poo does not come off.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Got the head painted for my new HQ.

Excuse the terrible iPhone pic... was really hard to hold both my phone and the bit. I like how it turned out - did codex grey -> ghost grey (vallejo) -> dead white (vallejo).

I still suck miserably at lenses, thinking about breaking down and buying some new brushes if I ever decide to be good at eyes and the like.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I've almost finished a thing.

I've told myself to just finish the arm, glue it together and call it a day, but it so rainy out I'm hesitant to prime the arm bit I constructed.

I think I like how the white came out. Also did my first ever jewels. They look okay... anything you think I could improve for the next one?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I plan on actually making a light box so I can take a decent photo.

My buddy showed me how he does his Eldar gems and I tried to emulate them. It is a very deep red.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

bhsman posted:

Bav I'm really glad to see you continue to make use of this account ever since I (indirectly) convinced to join last year. :unsmith:

Oh man, I trawl SA all the time. Thanks for dragging me in.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Chenghiz posted:

I'm not a fan of that helmet, but you really made it work here. Nice job!

Thanks! I wasn't sure it would look decent, but decided to try painting it anyway.

TBP, that commisar will be awesome.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Angryboot posted:

drat, I get tied up for work for a couple of months and you guys pump a ton of stuff out.

Finally got done with the first space dude I've ever bought:

Lengthened and reposed the legs then freehanded the banner. My thumb hurts.

That space marine comander kit is so dope. I think yours turned out awesome!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Alright, not 100% done but I wanted to ask for a bit of advice.

Should I color the hilt of the blade gold or silver? Should I leave the rest of the pole black, not really sure what to color it. There are touch ups, but these are the ones I'm not sure about.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

You used the ridiculous wolf head.

And then you painted a little doggy nose on it.

:geno:

I like it. Wolfy wolfhelm of Wolfenstein - HO!

Starfield eh? Maybe, might be able to pull that off.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 14, 2011

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

So I'm still working on my painting skills but I did this.

Also doing a campaign - painted this up.

Excuse the blurry shots, my phone only has one mode - lovely.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 2, 2011

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Waxpaper and white glue work. Plasticard, bits of sprue, corkboard also do the trick.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

theironjef posted:

:fap: I want your army, please be sure to make a ton of those.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 22, 2011

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Dominion posted:

Crossposting from the Warham thread:

So this is probably a longshot, but does anyone have some spare bits they would sell/trade/give me? I'm looking for the cloak from a fantasy Dark Elf Corsair, and a plastic nemesis force halberd.

Two guesses what I'm making.

What's funny is that I have both lying around and have zero interest in salamanders. I don't have a PM option, but if your bold enough to give me your email I might be able to send out both for sale.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just started using Vallejo's gray airbrush primer, and I've been super happy with the results. Just use it straight out of the bottle, no thinning required, and it makes a super smooth coat.

I second this. I actually picked up gray, black and white. I'm impressed with all three, I won't be going back to can primers.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

dexefiend posted:

He is basically a walking suit of armor, so... its kinda important that it looks good.

Mordekaiser?

I'm not sure where you can go with him to be honest. I think metal is the way to go, but all one solid block of color might not look so hot.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I need some advice as I think I may have just wasted a huge amount of my hobby time with my airbrush.

I attempted to do preshading these past few weeks, I put on a grey primer coat, hit the areas that should be dark with black, hit the highlight areas with white and then finally today when I threw on my base coat color, you can barely tell I did any preshading at all.

Is my paint too thick? Too dark? How should I proceed if I don't want the rest of my models to look the same? Is the preshading job terrible?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Ah, I see! Do you use windex/water or just straight water?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

!amicable posted:

A lot of the mid blues and cold grays are thicker. The yellows and reds are VERY thin.

I'm using Somber Grey, which I tried mixing with windex for a milky consistency, but it appears I need to thin it further. I don't have vallejos thinning medium, not sure I can find it anywhere local either. Is there an alternative I can try while waiting on a warstore shipment?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Alright, I'll try these suggestions, thanks for your help everyone.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

So I did a quick test model, I think the colors are a bit washed out but I don't have any decent photo software or a halfway decent camera so I apologize for that. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out for a grunt. I plan on making some more gator friends now that I have a decent idea of how I should paint them.

Edit:

Any thoughts as to size and firmness? :cheers:

Bavius fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 2, 2011

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Looks nice but I'd go with another color for the swamp water, he blends into his base too much.

ed: just realized that's just overspray from your airbrush, not a glowy fetid swamp. in that case I'd throw in some extra color to help differentiate the hard carapace from the soft belly scales.

Haha, I've actually got some resin swamp bases for the army. I was going to do the chest/underbelly white/yellow, but realized you could barely see it. I'll give it a shot on the wrastler and my bull snappers.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

So I've got a gatorman army nearly finished. They're airbrushed so all I have to do is pick out details and throw on some washes here and there. Really wouldn't take long to finish them. It'd be my first finished army of any kind. And yet I haven't touched them in two weeks. Anyone have some encouraging words? (Insults accepted).

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Sushi, brilliance. Alright, I'm doing this. Progress shall be posted as I go.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Alright, my camera isn't handy but I've managed to paint all manner of bone and ropes and such. Got a few washes done. I'll post tomorrow with some finished photos as I crank em out. Thanks for the motivation.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I am stripping all my marines and painting them to match the plague marines I bought from a goon a few months ago because his looked better than mine.

Good luck sir, I hate stripping my own models though. But that's only if I painted them.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Here's my wrastler.

I wish he had a hat.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

The manager at my flgs sold me on gators by pointing out the mask. I've got another one to paint up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I've been using Vallejo's surface primer. I bought all three colors to see which one I preferred. The white is glorious. I tried priming with white rattle cans and those never turned out very well. If you have an airbrush, try to find this stuff. If anyone is interested I'll post where I bought mine.

I'm actually trying to get a handle on preshading. So far my efforts don't produce very good results, but I am playing around with PSI, thinning and such. I'll nail it eventually, probably on the last vehicle I turn out.

• Locked thread