Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Dominion posted:

Simple Green (as the thread title indicates) is the easiest and safest way to get paint off minis. Minimal effort, zero chance of loving up models, will not kill you dead. Works with vehicles too, assuming you get enough to immerse the vehicle in.

Other people will suggest brake fluid, oven cleaner, the blood of an innocent child, or other toxic or hard to get substances, but they don't work any better than simple green so really there's no reason to use them.

I use simple green as my solvent in the ultrasonic cleaner. Its a champ, seriously.

Ultrasonic cleaner uses so far: removing mold release with minimal effort, stripping simple green soaked mini's, cleaning my airbrush and cleaning off my glasses every once in awhile.

I say get one, if its in your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I went with a professional ultrasonic cleaner after I bought a dinky one at first. The problem with the smaller units is the time settings. You want a unit with a basket big enough for most projects and a timer that is at least 15 minutes. The temperature feature on mine remains unused.

Something like this.

As long as it has a decent timer, liter capacity, and price - go for it.

The cheaper ones usually have 5 minute timers. They work, but you have to keep resetting them for some jobs.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Do you just put the models in, fill with Simple Green, and turn them on? How long do you run it usually?

I soak the model for 24 hours in simple green, sometimes in the cleaner. Then I typically run it from 30 min to 2 hours. But I try to remove primer, for the basecoat only it should take 30 min. I stripped a particularly painful looking FW dread who had the fuzzy primer problem in 3 hours.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Dominion posted:

Do you have to scrub at all or does it just come off by itself?

I use a stipling brush to get stuff out of cracks on ocassion, most of the paint is already gone. In some cases I don't have to do anything but rinse.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Dominion posted:

Do you have a brand or model recommendation? Looks like most of them are around 30 dollars on Amazon, are those decent?

I'll poke around and see which ones look good for the price tonight and list what Ive purchased.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

UnsubRedun posted:

Just have to say, I really like how these are coming along. Keep at it!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

stabbington posted:

Painted an Angelius for my league, only took two sessions (primed zenithal white over black, fairly simple paint scheme). Didn't do anything particularly ambitious besides the freehand on the shield on the base. Tested out some vallejo liquid mask, which I think did its job admirably, the weathering on the shield looks great (not that any of the photos I took of the drat thing with my phone came out, better pictures once I finish the battlegroup).

Is the liquid mask you used blue and smell absolutely awful? I bought some Vallejo mask and ruined a model with it, I could really use some advice on how to use it.

Edit *how

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

stabbington posted:

The stuff I was using is a light blue-green, yeah. Didn't smell it because I saw ammonia on the ingredient list, but I'll assume that's the awful bit.
How I used it:
1. Painted the surface of the thing I was weathering with it in my metal tone.
2. After waiting for that to fully dry, dabbed on liquid mask with a little bit of blister sponge. In hindsight, I should've also used a toothpick for longer scratches.
3. Waited about an hour for that to dry fully (no idea how long it actually takes, I just needed to eat dinner).
4. Painted over it with several layers of different reds.
5. Did my freehand.
6. After waiting half an hour or so, gently rubbed at the painted surface with an eraser, causing the liquid mask and the paint on it to peel off.
7. Used washes and pigments to weather to resulting chips and tears in the paint.

Hope that helps.

That helps loads. I'll give it a shot on my next project, thanks!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Khadhul posted:

I'm painting my Space Marine statue out of the Honoured Imperium terrain kit as a stone statue, and I'd like to have his chest eagle and the aquila on his sword to look like they were originally painted in gold leaf but that it's falling off and I'm a little unsure of how I'd go about it.

I'm thinking that I'll paint the details up in gold and then drybrush with dheneb stone before hitting the entire thing with devlan mud. Any other ideas?

Try just stippling gold on randomly and then dry brushing.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

dexefiend posted:

If that model looks better IRL, you better lock it up when you go to sleep.

So he doesn't murder you in the night.

Protip: Don't lock him up in the cupboard from The Indian in the Cupboard

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

F that noise, call up GW and demand a replacement. Then, once you get another, demand they replace that. Repeat until you have a model.

Edit:

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Verdugo posted:

I stupidly use my computer desk as a painting station. I noticed I have a fine mist of assorted paints over my keyboard. Any advice on cleaning acrylics off of stuff you can't soak in simple green?

Nail polish remover and a q tip.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

So Ive got a funny story, sort of mini/modelling related.

Im attempting to re-start working from home over the next 4 months or so, and am going to be doing some small commissions and also really get into sculpting. Trying my hand at it, I think I can be successful but obv it takes a long time to get really good. But gently caress it, Ive got the time right now.

So last night I was putting together a list of things I wanted, to buy online. It occured to me that I shouldnt buy any of this stuff online, because within 30 minutes there is a store called "Michigan Toy Soldier". Its a reputable toy soldier store with basically every weird european terrain, sculpting tools, vallejo/andrea paints, airbrush accessories, the whole deal. Its basically model-builders heaven. So I think to myself, "sweet!, Ill go buy from this dude!". I like keeping my money in my state, if I can help it. Plus buying stuff from a real store and seeing it first owns.

So I google them to see their hours for today, and this is what I find:

http://royaloak.patch.com/articles/michigan-toy-soldier-owner-gets-jail-time-in-director-peter-jackson-credit-card-fraud

:wtf:

Apparently Peter Jackson bought poo poo at this guys store online...then the owner of the store had some sort of idea that he could just rack up the director of Lord of the Rings credit card for $200,000. He literally got sentenced 2 days ago, for 10 months of jail.

So uh, anyone know a good online store? I want sculpting tools, armatures, corks, fimo, etc. All the sweet toys.

Oh boy, I bought my primers for my airbrush from that store.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

UnsubRedun posted:

I find it ironic that I stoll a bunch of Blood Angels stuff to use on my guardsmen.

I'm having trouble imagining this.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm trying to come up with a non-black/dark Dark Eldar color scheme but can't seem to find any awesome pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I'm going through the Imperial Armour Masterclass book, I really like it for painting tips. I came across one that I'm not sure how to pull off and I couldn't find more direction.

The guys at IA used something called an airbrush frisket. Which is, near as I can tell, a big sheet of very low tack tape. You can cut out a shape and use it as a slightly sticky stencil. Has anyone had any luck with or tried this out here? I am very interested in trying this out to get some more interesting patterns on my tanks rather than trying to make my own stencils out of plasticard or masking tape. When I do searches I find a few things - mostly related to T-shirt painters and autopainting.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

It's warped really bad.

I did a quick google search and it seems that dipping it into hot water for a few seconds should help to straighten it out.

I'll give it a shot when I have time.

It really depends on the material and how bad the bend is. If you see discoloration that means that the plastic is stressed and probably won't hold up. Warm your water in the microwave in a safe dish or cup and dip the bent portion in, slowly put back into shape and put in cool water. Repeat as many times as necessary to get the right shape. I have to do it with just about every resin kit I've ever owned.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Great advice Malal! Thank you, I'll try the tac approach.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I like it. Do 5 more and some razorbacks.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 18, 2012

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I'd like to make use of that 50% off, but looking at their website I don't see anything I'm in the market for. Clay shapers or a desk lamp maybe.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Well, yeah of course those are gonna look bad. Look how far zoomed in you are! :v: I bet you wouldn't see half that poo poo after coating them in a terrible auto primer and painting in gobbed on citadel paints.

I definitely agree that for a display piece celebrating 25 years of 40k and at a limited run - they shouldn't be shipping that sort of poo poo out. Just get yourself another model for free on GW's dime while you still can, loving limited run and all.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I've been using Vallejo products for over a year now. You get more for cheaper, its in a dropper, and comes in the same colors, or at least it did.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Refind Chaos posted:

I haven't tried, but I have some priming to do later today so I'll give it a go and see how it turns out. I'm not real sure how well mixing primer and regular acrylic would work, but I'll give it a shot. The bottle of primer is huge, and I have a lot of blue acrylic so it shouldn't be a problem.

That's a negative, I've tried and it just doesn't mix very well. I prefer to preshade the model, rather than just a simple basecoat. Give that a shot, you've already got the airbrush and the pigment!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Secret Weapons washes are superior IMHO. We'll see how the new stuff compares. I'm going to pick up some paints today and do a test model. Paints of interest: The Fang, White Scar, and the snow texture.

But these names are still weird. Glad they have those handy cards because all their previous guides are now horsehit. Glad I bought the masterclass book though, Vallejo paints still match up.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

So I got a chance to try a sample of the paints from GW this afternoon. My thoughts? The dry pigment is not very intuitive if you've been drybrushing for awhile. You have to work the pigment into a dry brush, brush away most of it and then be very gentle with your application. I didn't like it - maybe I'll come around when I have more time to experiment.

The textures are pretty self explanatory - you put them down and they have texture. Vallejo does this better I think, but for new painters that only have a local GW (I weep for thee) its a good thing.

The base coats weren't as gloopy as before. They go on pretty well, not really a big change at all.

The washes were an improvement, but I wasn't slathering the model in them. Some painters may not like the change. I wish I had the time to try out a glaze.

I did pick up the guide for painting my army - neat little hand out considering my white dwarf articles are all out dated now.

I like the direction they went with these new paints. While the names are silly I think it was a strong move.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I believe it refers to the sheer volume of heavy metals they've ingested.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

^^^

I'm curious how true this will be.

Vallejo does a great job with its paint lines (Game, Model, air). I wonder if they'll try to keep their game line similar to GWs new line.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I can say with certainty that the Secret Weapon washes are better than most of the current GW ones. I like soft body black better than badab and baby poop is one of my favorite browns. Their also supporting the new oath thread - so check em out if you don't like Vallejo's washes. You might actually like them better than the new set in the 145 from GW.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

This feels like a great move. Especially for those just getting into the hobby.

$19 bucks gets you all the paints you'll need to do Space Wolves marines. And another $19 bucks will get you the paints you'll need to paint all their loving pelts and mounts.

I kinda wish they had done something similar when I got in.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

The basing stuff is similar to vallejo's but thinner. Not quite as much texture to it. You can definitely paint it up different colors, wash it, dry brush, whatever. So while they only have a few colors you can make it your own.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I could be wrong, but I don't believe they do. The batch I have are smooth on the bottom. When they say hollow I think they mean the inside of the base and not the bottom.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I'll dig mine out of my paint case and take a look at it in a bit.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Sushi and Fix should just hook up already, this flirtation is driving me bonkers.

Seconding the posting of pictures. I only had a chance to try a handful of the paints but I'm still on the fence. Convince me!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

UnsubRedun posted:

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

So that this space isn't wasted: where's the cheapest place I can pick up a shitload of simplegreen?

Costco, Sams Club or home depot have all had it when I looked.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Cross posting.

I've never really painted a ton of fur so I decided to try GW's tutorials in one of the most recent white dwarf articles. I'm getting ready to apply these techniques to the thunderwolf calvary.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Lava beads are pretty dope and cheap. Not as cheap as sprue though, but it's what I use.

E:

Fyrbrand posted:

Appreciate the feedback Wazzu but basically I'm tired of painting these dudes so time to move on, heh.

Quick and dirty pic for now. Will take better pics tomorrow, weather permitting.

Always love seeing your orks! The blue and green work very well an your deff dreads and kans are very nicely done. These are just as good.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 9, 2012

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

I think it looks great. You know what would spice it up a bit though? Orks!

Toss some goblins on, a driver, whatever. That green will make it pop.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Pirate Ship

Of course this is the place for you! Post pictures and show us where you're at for better advice.

Get a good photo of the pearl from the film, maybe one from when he was in hell and you can clearly see the colors. You want to match that pallet. The darkest color should be your base for the wood, then you want to layer or drybrush up to the lightest color. Washes can help speed this up making the crevices and wood grain pop. There are many tutorials for wood grain out there.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Those are cool frosted ogres!

Dude update:

I know nothing of sculpting, but I am very glad to have you sharing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

^^^
:)

PaintVagrant posted:

Crosspost from wm/h thread

Heres some new joints. Start of my Cryxies

WIP slayer, no green glow yet so if it feels like its missing something, thats it probably

Maybe I'm a sad shut in, or maybe I dont live near actual trees, but where can I find tree bark for my bases like those?

Bavius fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 16, 2012

• Locked thread