Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn
Im just getting into warhammer 40k and I am considering purchasing the starter kit with the Orks and 'uman space marienz. The figures in it are made to be easier to put together, but just how hard is it to actually PAINT the figures? And as a dumb extra question, do you NEED to use the overpriced Games Workshop paints or can you use the paints used for say, model boats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn
I really enjoy painting my Orks. Compared to what I have seen here and other places, my paint-jobs are shoddy but a descent enough start. I would post pictures for you guys to comment on what needs working, but I cant get a camera to focus right.

A few questions though, what is generally used to glue figures? I right now just have the assault on black reach kit and even though the parts are easily snap-on, I happened to break an axe or two while punching the parts out, plus a few of the space marines bolter rifles wont fit on them for whatever reason. Besides, for more advanced kits its good that I get in the habit of glueing.

For non-official paints, what is recommended? I have a ton of acrylics which seem to work very well, as well as tempera which gives off an interesting fuzzy look to it. Finally is there anything usually done to keep a figure in place without holding it so I don't get black paint all over my hand when I try to coat it?

The good thing with Orks and their equipment is that if it looks dented and rustic, your doing something right.

• Locked thread