Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
I have way too much fun using Green Stuff to fill gaps and add bits where they dont exactly fit in. Can the stuff be used for other fun modeling purposes? Also how do I solidify it? Just put glue on it?

on anouther note when I am actually putting my stuff together I get my fingerprints all over it and it heavily delutes the colors. Any way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Ashcans posted:

I am confused by your question, though. Green stuff should solidfy on its own, within 24 hours of mixing the two components. If it's not hardening, you're doing something really wrong with the ratios, and slathering glue on it won't help. Can you be more precise in what you mean?

Your other question also confuses me. Are you saying that when you go to assemble your painted pieces, it damages the paint? That shouldn't happen unless you are some sort of mutant who literally seeps gallons of grease from your hands. What paints are you using?

Well the painted greenstuff is solid but when I stick my fingernail in the stuff it just kinda leaves an imprint

For the latter question, I am using offical GW paints. I guess I dont know how to make the greens on my orks be shiny. I coat them in chaos black first, then when that dries put the orky muscle bits in orkhide shade foundation paint. I then paint it catachan green then attempt to drybrush the muscles. Maybe its all the glue that often delutes the colors. Whenever I see pictures of other peoples orks they are all a very nice bright and green and I want to know if I am messing something up.

I would kill for 1st edition rouge trader "Space Orks" with what seriously looks like Orks in Terran armor from Starcraft. Honestly, that looks so kickass and I would love to use them as either 'Ard boys or Mega Nobz

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Chenghiz posted:

Greenstuff takes a long time to cure if you mix it 50/50. Like, 24 hours.

For brighter green skin you would probably do well to basecoat with snot green instead of orkhide shade and highlight with goblin green. Alternatively, basecoat with orkhide shade and highlight with snot green. Catachan green is probably the wrong color to use, it's not very bright.

And yeah, definitely prime your minis before you paint them. I suggest using Krylon Flat Black, which you can find at your hardware store/wal-mart (in the US) for ~$4 for a can. Just make sure you get Flat Black and not gloss or satin or something.

I use chaos black because I know GW paints work really well. For what its worth my army does look gritty and "Realistic" if thats even a term. And by "Realistic" I do mean quite boring. Even though I may have alltogether about 2 dozen jars of GW paints, theese craftsmen things arnt the cheapest. Then again, nobody said this was a cheap hobby (Quite the contrare!)

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Ashcans posted:

GW paints are good, but Chaos Black is not a primer; a primer is a specific sort of paint designed to grip onto a raw surface and provide a canvas for additional paint, rather than to be a finished product itself.

Supose that woudl be the best idea. I once made a 3-story ork tower out of popsikle sticks, beading wire, sprue to give it a "Ladder" and red paint so it would move faster :downs:

Rules do exist somewhere for gun emplacements, assuming I find a bigshoota or something to put in it, right? Crafting terrain is something I would eventually love to do if I got the funds/resorces for it. I do print out and assemble crates and stuff with cardstock so anyone know links to easy to assemble battlefeild doodads with paper?

Will take pictures of my army as soon as I find a camera

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So one thing I nhave never seen done are homemade "Conversions" of doom (or even quake!) demons for well, daemons. Im sure it would be rather simple to put down some unoffical rules for a cyberdemon.

Anyways how would something like this be done?

also I have all this sprue that I cant get myself to throw away, what should I build or glue with it?

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So I am running out of Chaos Black.

What kinds of GW paints should I get when I am at my local comic store next time? I primarily focus on orks, and sadly the only hobby store that sells all the diffrent brands of paints is one town over, so GW paints are really my only option :smith:

Catachan green, what I have been using for my orks, does seem to give a descent muddy-green tone that comes out better after drybrushing with Goblin Green. Still, I get tired of the catachan green tone and wonder if theres any other greens that work well with them. Also, any general swatches that go well in general?

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

S.J. posted:

GW has repeatedly stated that MSP is being phased out

I dont get it. Whats MSP?

E: On anouther note, how am I suppose to cock the kombi-scorchas and kombi-rokkits on my guys? The guns themselfs are made for 2 hands, and thats just the ones that came with the Nobz kit and NOT the ones I made myself by glueing a scorcha onto a shoota with an autocannon

How much better are meganobz compared to nobz? Because I am starting to have a bit of buyers remorse :smith:

Milkbags fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 13, 2011

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Regular Nobz are a LOT better than Meganobz.

But I think this is for the other 40k thread, not the Painting thread.

It is actually. In any case, this sortof removes the buyers remorse I had. That, and I could pose a powerklaw nob giving "The Folks", which is some british insult where you put up two fingers backhand or something.

In any case, I do love theese two cyborg heads.

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
for my Nobz kit, I have a question. All the kombi-shootas have an extra hand mounted on the underside of the gun. This would be fine if I wasnt using one hand for powerklaws. Is there any way to remove the hand on the underside without totally destroying the gun?

For that matter, is there even any way to "reverse" the hand holding the claw?

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So how would I go across assembling a Waaghbanner using little more then a Nobz kit? Does it even contain things for that? I see a few bosspoles but nothing I can accuretly call a waaghbanner

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Simpo posted:

The nobs box comes with a bunch of spare bosspole tops, just stick a couple of top of one of the big choppas and maybe extend the haft a bit.

Thats what I was thinking on how to do this. That, or simply having to kit-bash my way for one.

Thoose drednaughts are screwed!

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Fyrbrand posted:

Attn Fix re: rare metal sculpts. Perhaps the rarest of rare?!?!

There was this one site I remember that showcased a ton of old GW models, yet I forget the site. Anyone know what I am talking about?

It didnt sell them, just shown pictures of them and their numbers or serials or whatever for collectors

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Following the link from that blog got me to http://www.solegends.com/

That was it, Thanks

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
Anyone know where I can dig up some papercraft or paper doodads to cut out with cardstock and littler the battlefeild with? Stuff like easy to assemble bunkers or even crates and all that

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Acidix posted:

I've never used any of it, but the wargames equivalent of drivethru RPG has a wargames section that sells plans for paper terrain.

The actual terrain (not maps) are pretty cheap
http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php?filters=0_40209_0

This set of walls is only 2 bucks
http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?products_id=87754&filters=0_40209_0

This is handy, but I was hoping for stuff cheaper. You know, Free... I know theres a ton of stuff thats probobly easy enough to assemble, but google is failing me on this.

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Simpo posted:

http://www.goldenboltersociety.com/paperhammer40k

downloads are down the bottom, the templates are a mixed bag, some good, some bad

I think I might have most if not all of theese on my PC. Still, it IS what I am pretty much looking for so thanks anyways

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
I would kill for some early-edition SPACE ORKS.

The reason is because some early SPACE ORKS apparently wore power armor. But not like Mega-Nobz, Power armor much like the Terran Marine armor from Starcraft. If thats not awesome, I dont know what is.

Im intrested in having 3d-prints of 28mm figures, is such a thing possible? I been poking around and the only ones I have seen are apparently 28mm starcraft figures. Just the idea of making a 3d mesh and having it deliverd to your door is all kinds of awesome

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Aranan posted:

Wizards of the Coast actually put a few nice ones up years ago on their D&D page: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

I also found a few other websites that might be of use for free cardstock terrain:
http://www.davesgames.net/wfrp2/
http://www.ss42.com/pt-buildings.html

Quite honestly thoose are very good terrain peices to the point of where I may at one point decide to go ahead and buy some of theese, Free and newbie-freindly stuff is preferable.

I had this one site that had stuff like M.A.S.H. units contsructed in white cargo containers, but sadly I didnt bookmark it :smith: If by chance I do find it I will post it here, or on anouther thread if theres one for paper models. I have a feeling I am asking the right question in the wrong place

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

adamantium|wang posted:

Like these?

(top two rows)

(middle row)

These are from the 1991 Citadel Blue Catalogue, you can have a poke around it and more here.

e: I can practically hear Bionik Eye saying "Zog, it's about toime."

Yes, Yes and a thousand times Yes. drat theese guys look badass. Would I by any chance be able to find some prefferably unpainted RT Spaceorks for a relitivly affordable price or would I be expected to pay upwards of say, 30-50$ for just one? "Yagh wan a peice o dis 'ere, grot?" "WAAAGH 'n Roll!"

Any tips for speedpainting or assembling? I want to fully assemble my army by tommarow and I need to construct 4 boyz, not to mention touch up a bit on my Assault on Black Reach boys who are tragicly incomplete

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

SRM posted:

You just need to trawl eBay. They pop up fairly often and aren't usually more than $10 a mini.

ah thats good, 10 dollers for a 10, maybe even 20 year old mini is quite frankly a descent price. I can see using them as Nobs, maybe some even as MegaNobs due to the arment

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
Zog, I lost my instructions for assembling the battle wagon. Is there anywhere where I can find a spare to print off?

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
any battlewagon painting tips? I personally paint the peices I assmeble onto it beforehand, and make sure to have its exterior be Red Gore painted on Mercentile Red, but personally I dont know what else. I am going to decorate the interior of the battlewagon with various spare guns so in 1st-edition ROUGE TRADER games that can be played like an RPG or even GORKAMORKA should I ever touch that I can use it either as a store, a small mobile headquarters or a medium-small-sized mobile armory

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So I am having an :butt: of a time finding a good prefferably retractable hobby knife. Are there any recomendations?

To be honest now that I think about it I dont know what the big use of them is besides scraping things or cutting up modeling epoxy. Still it pays to have a good solid blade that wont come unscrewed when I cut with it

E: Whats paitnign on metal like anyways? Being a ork player I doupt I will get any metal models soon enough but I want to know what its like beforehand. Any diffrent from plastic?

Milkbags fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 25, 2011

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
Its a pain waiting for a coat to dry, even if its 30 sec to a minute.

Just so I got the process of painting ork skin done, Prime, Orkhide shade foundation, Snot green, Goblin green and then Tharaka green wash, Right? This kinda process worked for me. I know its a newbie question but well, baby steps. For quick, dumb and cheap black reach models found in a bitz bin I just fire this green primer paint on the orky parts.

For ork vehicle red, I do prime, mercentile red foundation and then scab red. The thing is, I want it to be brighter while not having it be a bright blood red. I tried that, it just doesnt contrast well. So what would be the middle inbetween scab and blood reds? Should I get a red wash for my battlewagon? Besides red, it has gold and black bitz. Oh, and I like glossing for some arcane reason.

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So any un-offical "Non-Ork" peices I can use for orks? So far I found theese but I know theres more

http://puppetswar.com/ Puppetswar,
http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20 Kromlech

and uh, thats about all I can find. Nice Post apocalyptic totally-not-ork bits though, maybe I can make a few killa kanz out of them

E: Oh, I can really make a good orky fort out of this stuff I think http://armorcast.com/store/index.php?cPath=120_154

E2: While I am at it, Anywhere where I can get Doom UAC-ish marines? You know, making mars and stuff

Milkbags fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 21, 2011

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
This is a pretty stupid question, but where can I reliably find inks nowadays? I found some good yellow ink in this store and I am loving the ability to lightly tint ork flesh yellow to give it more color. Even if it just has to be non-gw inks.

also I know nothing about mattes and finishing coats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Eldar are Commodore. Shuriken catapaults really shoot 8" floppies.

Then may I ask, What are Orks?

Russian pirating groups?

• Locked thread