Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Painting question.

If I've sealed some miniatures and want to go back and apply some ink here and there for better shading, am I hosed?

Dont want to start painting overtop of matte seal in case it might ruin things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO LIKE FREE STUFF AND CAN ALSO PAINT THINGS

I take it that dirty canadians arent allowed in on this?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Got my hands on a good camera finally and took some pics of my new Russians. First time I've painted in 6+ years, so all in all I'm quite happy. The difference between my first jacks and Harkevitch feels like a ton, so hopefully I'l;l keep making progress.

All the Russians

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

As is, cant be bothered to do the shading.

Looks great to be honest.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Signal posted:

See, that's terrain made out of cans. The trick is having something I can put a pint glass in, that I can then get out easily. Some of the suggestions were pretty great, but we play a lot more Infinity or Epic here than we do 40k.

If one of you nerds makes a kickstarter. I will be in on it immediatly.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just started messing around with my new airbrush, any advice for painting finer details? So far I've only been using it for base-coating.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

On PSI Talk, just got myself a master G-444 and a compressor. Is there a best case PSI I should be running at? I've been running at about $20 but the brush itself doest mention where it should be sitting.

Also, how fine of a line should I be expecting to be able to paint with this thing? I've only been using it for base coating so far, but I would love to do some detail work with it. Part of the problem of not knowing what PSI to run at is not being sure if I've also made the paint to thin.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

If my airbrush pools paint on its tip inside the guard, what is that a sign of? Is my psi to low? Should I even be using the guard?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

richyp posted:

Before I go ahead and paint this guy properly, I need some advice.

This is a quick 20 minute basecoat and wash job on one of the character models that I'm trying to introduce orange to. Besides looking like superman strumming a guitar, should I switch the grey and orange or leave as is, i.e. grey cape, orange "hair" and "beard", I'm not feeling it with so much orange. Also I never have much luck with finecast stuff, it always looks all textured when I start painting which makes the washes look awful.

Looks kinda chunky

edit: might just be the photo though

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ijyt posted:

X-Post from the 40k thread:

Paint rubbing off? Wouldn't you just seal them?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Hold on, you guys don't have game stores like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5WlI2tXr4

Admittedly they've remodeled since then so they have more space for magic, there's a store tour video on YouTube too that shows their new decorations.

Sentry box is the poo poo. Probably my favorite place in calgary

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Looking to get a decent set of brushes as I've basically just been using whatever. Are there any good recommendations brand/size wise?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Double posting from the warmachine thread as you guys might be the more knowledgeable group:

Gatormen just showed up in the mail. I have an airbrush ready to go, but want to know what my options are for painting some rad-rear end Gatorboys. 

Tomorrow's payday so I plan on buying a couple things of paint, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into. I haven't done a crazy amount of airbrushing so if there's a particular technique that would work for them then I'm open for suggestions. I've been looking at secret weapon washes with some envy, but I'm not entirely sure if I can go anywhere with it.

Also, want to fancy-base these guys. I see that secret weapon has some bog-type bases that I can try out water effect with. Are there any other brands, and it's there anywhere in the Calgary area that might carry them?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

is there a "best" place to get custom bases? Or should I just go with some secret weapon ones?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just starting to prime some stuff with my airbrush after not having used it for a while, and I was wondering something.

Should I be taking off the needle guard from the front of my airbrush when I'm painting? I'm finding that paint is piling up in the tip because of it, and its causing it to get clogged more often and sputter. Is this the cause of the problem or should I be looking elsewhere?

Edit: VVVVVV just finished cleaning up my priming, and that was a much nicer experience.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 11, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Is it viable to paint details with an airbrush. I wouldn't mind doing a bit more to my gators outside of just basing them with it, but I'm uncertain how I can take things further.

Is it possible to apply washes etc with one? or should I just be brushing it on?

Edit: These are the models. They are 40mm across at the base. I have a couple slightly larger ones as well, but I assume you would use the same sort of techniques.

This is the paint scheme I was thinking of working towards, but if there's anything I can do to pull ahead using an airbrush then that would be ideal.
Hand Cannon Guide

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 12, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Looking at getting a nice brush or 2 today, and I wasnt sure what I should be aiming for price range wise.

I keep seeing W&N listed as one of the good brands, but is there anything else I should be looking at in particular? I wouldn't mind getting some that will last me a long time and are fairly good for fine details and general painting.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Remember you don't actually want a super precision brush for most painting. You wan't like a 2 round and then a very small precision for doing detail work. How fat the brush doesn't matter as much as how thin the point is. Faust did a good video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2y8wIJCS-k

I ended up finding a place with W&N brushes and earmarked a series 7 size 1 for me.

When I'm there tomorrow should I be trying to find a round 2 if they have one? or are we talking pretty small differences at this point?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Havent had much time to paint recently, but saw this and just HAD to have a go at it.

Took quite a bit of cleaning up and work to try and hide some joins, and I've got about halfway through the skin. Going to experiment with grinding up some oil pastels for making some skin shade pigments.

But what about the pants?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I need to clean up some areas on my models with some white, but I'm all out at the moment.

I do have done Vallejo white primer, would that do the trick? What's the difference between primer and regular model paint?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SRM posted:

Primer has a very fine "tooth" to it for paint to grip to. I paint over it usually (even if it's black primer, I'll paint over it black because there's a different amount of sheen on primer vs. model paint usually) but if you're looking to just touch up some areas on models with spray primer, you might end up spraying too much on and mucking up the details.

Sorry, I worded that terribly. I have some brush on white primer. But I'm fresh out of plain white paint. There's no reason not just to use primer if I'm going to be painting done weaker on it right? I just need to clean up some specks that crept in from painting a different part of the model

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 17, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I dig this. Not a huge expert, but the only thing I'm not sure about is the detailing on the cape. Could look sick with a deep red.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just finished doing the spines, scales, and belly's on my new gators for War machine.

Based on the (lovely) pictures, and knowing that they're swampy voodoo gators, any advice on where to go from here?

Specifically, I want to do a good job painting any metal on the spears. I also wouldn't mind any advice on doing detailing such as rope, cloth, and feathers. I have an airbrush if that matters

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Avenger_Mullah posted:

Love these! How did you do them?

Airbrushed them white, and worked upwards in shades lightest to darkest. lightest on sides, darker towards spines, with the stomach and spines being a different set of colors.

Tons of layers using extremely thin paint, first time using nuln oil. I also flicked the initial priming with a toothbrush to give it a speckled look with some very dark green.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

For a board game they look quite good. I've found a good wash or 2 helps really pull this stuff over the top. I just found out about nuln oil which I'm now in love with, but any old wash is a good thing to get used to if you're looking on improving.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for water effect? I have some bases I'm painted right now that I plan on flooding for my gator-men.
I'm going for a clay/swamp look, and plan on having the water be clear if not close to it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

So I have an air brush and am trying to get away from spray sealer. Is there anything I can be using with my airbrush or am I just making work for myself?

I've been meaning to start doing gloss followed by Matte, and if I can replicate that using my airbrush without having to change many settings then that would be perfect.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SRM posted:

Hey I finished painting another thing.

Seriously man, you are the king. Never stop.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I'm getting pretty close to finishing my swamp bases for some gator-men and was wondering about some specifics regarding water effect/realistic water.

I bought some Lichen that I was planning on using as plant-matter to rest in and above some swampy water effects on the base. Do I add the water effect, then place and details into it? Or do I place in the lichen and pour the water effect around it to let it fill in?

paint talk: I've always used p3 but have started buying Vallejo when I can. I've been finding it extremely easy to work with, particularly compared to gw.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Need a color suggestion for the mask on my almost done wrestle-gator:

I was thinking along these lines, but I'm all ears for suggestions. If anyone has some specific paint suggestions that would be great too. Ideally I want it to look professional.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Paint question.

Is there a best reference for color compatibility between brands? I also want to be able to color reference pixels from a reference image if possible.

Also I just switched my 0.2mm needle to a 0.3mm needle and it seems to have a lot more push to it with the same psi. Am I a crazy person, or would this affect things drastically. What size needle to you guys use with an airbrush?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

But it seemed like such a convenient thing to do.

(I will continue ruining things in the future)

Consider your paint pot a pristine source. I would imagine thinning it at all could cause some major drying issues and kill its shelf life quite a bit.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

quick airbrushing question.

so I'm doing a paint job on a Nerf gun, and threw on some white Vallejo primer through my brush so the eventually purple paint would stick to it. At this point its not perfectly white and you can still see some of the underlying plastic colors, but if I'm going over it again with the purple, and I do a good job with that should it matter?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

So what should the jacket be? I am seriously deficient at this

Maybe that blue color? I can't see doing the whole jacket yellow.

Or maybe I should I dunno

Unless you want your guys to look like clowns, pick 1 or 2 main colors that are really vibrant then tone back the rest of them. With the exception of SRM's 80's marines pretty much everyone else here should have some good examples throughout the thread of this.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bought 2 shades of purple at the store thinking it would be a main color and a highlight to go with it. Taking a closer look it lines up better with my vision if its a main color and a shading. Would anyone have a link to this sort of technique, as I've always worked from dark to light and not the reverse.

To blow open the floodgates, I'm aiming for this sort of a color scheme.

Vallejo Blue Violet

Vallejo Royal Purple

If I'm totally wrong and the colors would fit the scheme as a main and a highlight, feel free to knock me down a peg.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 9, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

BigHandsVince posted:

So, painting megathread....

I've decided on a whim to try and paint some minatures, looking for advice. I've looked at some of the tutorials in the op, got a good set of tools and some paints, and some Khador Kommandos from PP.

I'm going to stick to the box colours as much as I can with the paints I've got, is the following a fair enough approach?

1. Clean up minis, glue together and to bases.
2. Prime with spray primer (I have black).
3. Base coat the different areas of the models with appropriate colours, try not to go outside the lines.
4. Use a little wash/ink to deepen the shadow areas.
5. Mix some lighter paint for the main highlights and carefully paint on the high spots. Dry brushing maybe?
6. Paint the details (belt buckles, ammo packs, faces,hands, guns etc.
7. Basing

What have I missed or what is different from this and how you do things?

Thanks in advance.

If you're painting a lot of red/yellow I recommend lots of patience. Apply thin layers and wait for them to dry between passes.

I more or less painted as per the in book description, so as long as you have some steps in your head to progress on, you should be golden.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Looking to try out zenithal priming on one of my new warjacks for warmachine. Will it look weird next to my other robots if they weren't done this way?

Painting red if it matters.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 1, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

having never done zenithal, should I be going black to white, or black to red?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

hooman posted:

Thanks for the advice, I hit the base with some Devlan mud and gave a dry brushing of a light pink, and then a warlock purple darker brush.

Also tried out a wet palette for the first time. It was really, really good. Thanks thread!

Not entirely happy with the tops of the smokestacks, but pretty happy with a first effort at a glow effect.

Might just be me but it seems to get brighter as it gets father away from the light source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I was wondering if anyone had a good guide to working with green stuff? I usually just use it to fill gaps but would like to put some fairly large emblems on new warmachine stuff.

I tend to find it hard to work with so I don't know if I'm just mixing it wrong or if it's a case of using improper tools.

• Locked thread