Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Sculpting some hair on to C.Hoffman to model him after Vincent from Silent Hill, think it makes him look quite dashing.

Really want to paint these guys up, but holding my horses for the Oath thread. Really wish you could submit early for the next month but I suppose that's not in the spirit of the exercise. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

What colour do you paint a fire-themed Khador jack? Blue of course!

I swear all anyone gets me to do is pop culture reference paintwork.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

A noble goal and looking very well executed! I think it gets trickier from here on in though, but an excellent start.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Failed my oath due to DOUBLE SICKNESS so posting up some of my older stuff to feel better. :smith:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

krushgroove posted:

The height of that base would make him too easy to shoot over walls.

luckily height in Warmachine/Hordes is calculated by base size, not by the literal height of the model. :eng101:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Those are lovely. I think it's odd, but what I'm liking the most is the benches. They really look like wooden benches.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've always been interested in using hair-dryers to accelerate drying times but never actually tried it. Any tips, or is it really just point it at the model until he melts ?

Don't use it on the old GW washes, it congeals into shiny globs in the cracks instead of pooling naturally. Other than that I've used a hair dryer on metal, plastic and resin to no ill effect.

Also, I own my own hair dryer :colbert:
Do you guys never need to dry your hair in a hurry or something?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

*inhales*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCK!

Goddammit, I bought this game specifically to use the figures as splicers from Bioshock to make a Nurgle bioshock force.

Hoping they are somewhat salvageable, but it looks like I am out of luck.

No. They come up to about the knees of a space marine. You've never played the Zombies games before? poo poo's tiny, yo.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Dominion posted:

Does anyone make 28mm scale undead babies?

If anyone would, it'd be Malifaux. They have dead kids and possessed demon babies, at least.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

TastyAvocado posted:

On a journey to paint about 20 red box miniatures for D&D. First up:

(I never finished his hair oops)

That is sexy as. I love it when a painted landscape makes me wish I was in it, and this miniature makes me want to play as that guy. Well done.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

I think y'all are doing it wrong somehow, my superglue bonds are usually so strong that the plastic will often start to bend or break before the joints will break. I never purposely score the surfaces but I am pretty aggressive when trimming down the sprue connection areas so maybe that's why? I also use quite a bit of glue.

Likewise. I don't know what it is, I use selleys quick fix and my guys are incredibly sturdy, even the small delicate bits. Everyone else in my group however (most of which use either the GW paint-on glue or similar) are always having limbs drop off mid-game.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

"Paint me like one of your French girls..." :v:

That's pretty as gently caress. Did you feel weird about painting one soul cage in particular? Or was that just me...

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Signal posted:

My only thought is that the weld beads themselves will be "out of scale," if that makes sense.

As will the rust, actually.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

bhsman posted:

The toenails on the Helbrute creep me the gently caress out.

Oh god me too. They have a Troma vibe to them that rubs me the wrong way.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Doing some cross posting. Should have oathed this guy, but wasn't sure if I'd finish him. Oh well! Infinity miniatures are amazing but god drat hard to paint.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Thinking of making a chaos blood bowl team for shits and giggles (and maybe to play? ha! silly Asphyxious, you have no time!) and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas for how to make cool looking Chaos Warrior players? I like the designs from the PC game and wouldn't mind emulating those, just looking for a good starting point.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Current edition chaos warriors, but you might not like the fur capes.

This is the most likely, but it's not the capes that bother me, rather it's the very static poses. I think for what I want to do, I would need Warrior legs, but maybe the Knights everything else? Thanks though!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Does that shield have a Creeper face? I love these. That sentinel is especially sexy.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

That storm raven is sexy as all hell. I love it when a black colour scheme comes together!

In my news, been working on my Blood Bowl pitch instead of my oath. It's just way too much fun. Lots left to do, but here's a WIP shot.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Yayyyy, my Blood Bowl pitch has sponsors now! GO TEAM!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

My dice and templates turned up today! Painted them to match the PC game for fun and speed of recognition. Not long now before I actually play a game!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is a great idea. I am going to paint my dice when I unpack them.

Also what did you use to make the dugout section of your board?

Glad you like them! I have two dugout sections, one being the "away" side, a sort of nasty dungeon arrangement. The clear floor is reserves, the small blood splatter is KO'd, the two large blood splatters are Dead. This is made from wall parts from the Warhammer Fortified Manor kit, with movement trays for the floor.

The other one is the "home" side, a more rural arrangement, with a small medic sign for KO'd, a bench for Reserves, and the awe inspiring power of deduction for Dead. The walls here are made from the Warhammer fantasy walls kit.

Will post better pics of everything once it's all done.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Hey, I used to use the painting articles on the GW site but they've yoinked them all. Any tips for doing Dark elf flesh? Aiming for a pale (yet flesh tone) purple.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Straight from the DE WD:

Step 1 - 1:1 Tallarn Flesh and Space Wolves Grey
Step 2 - 1:1 Step 1 mix and Dark flesh washed into the recesses.
Step 3 - Devlan Mud into deepest recesses.
Step 4 - 3:3:1 Tallarn Flesh, Space Wolves Grey and Skull White.
Step 5 - 1:1 Step 4 mix, Skull white highlight.
Step 6 - Leviathon purple washed into areas around eyes, nose and mouth. Skull white final highlight.

Cheers, much obliged.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

OneTrueBru posted:

Don't GW convert everything into citadel paints/FW powders when they post a mini? I'm fairly sure they never mention competing hobby brands in their articles. (Just on the off-chance SG didn't use FW supplies)

That said, that Angron is pretty boss; the bronze armour is really nicely done.

Hah, yeah. They sort of did this with Deke's (Liverpool store) Emperor's Children army. Showed pics of his stuff from 3 years ago with "He used these colours -lists off a bunch of the new paints-" which made me smile a bit.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Moved to a new place in a new state, finding painting is a good way of settling down amongst all the turmoil. Soothingly familiar. These models are hugely fun to paint, too.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Manifest posted:

I'm fortunate that I'm a mutant I guess.
I can flip my lower lip in a way that creates the perfect crease between it and my chin.
I end up with a paint soul patch sometimes, but nothing has to go in my mouth.

I'm insecure enough without also having to worry that I look like some sort of beatnik tiki while I paint.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

All this dullcoat talk has made me pop down to the hobby store and get some. I've been using a giant can of picture sealant to no ill effect, but experience shows me there's a usually a reason when a gaggle of fans crap on about the same thing over and over again.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

richyp posted:

Finished the Interrogator Chaplain. Lovely model, bitch to paint (I hate black), in hindsight it would have made sense to prime him black and get some proper metals rather than the Vallejo Model Ones

I actually find this a lot more compelling that the GW official version, I think you've captured the smoke far more effectively. Really nice work.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

mastergeebo posted:

I recently finished up a skorcha conversion for my Speed Freaks. I took a deffkopta and built out the front and back a bit. The boy on top is from the battlewagon kit and the skorcha is from scratch.

I love a good Ork conversion, thanks for this. Bet it looks fantastic on the table.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

... Okay. So I'm getting back into the hobby after a hiatus of years and years, and I'm slowly working my way through this thread in its entirety. It's already been immensely helpful, since I will no longer use paints straight from the pot and unthinned like before my hiatus. :downs:

However! There are a few complications. First I am starting out with a Thousand Sons army (so, blue/brass), and I'd like to add a little touch of green to the blue. I'm wondering how this can best be solved. Do I need to start mixing paints, or will a wash do the trick (I'm guessing it will, but you never know)?

Second, due to my location in the world, the paints I have most ready access to will be GW paints. :cripes: Help?

A little touch of green to the blue can also be represented by doing your edge highlights with a pale green instead of pale blue.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the green glow effect they have on Kharn's eyes is actually photoshop, as the model looks to have the EXACT same paint job as the previous photos, but suddently mega-glow on the eyes.

e: I actually think, as far as Oath Breaker avatars go, this one is pretty boss. It has a Helldrake on it!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

SRM posted:

I got my first Finecast model the other day. LOOK AT HOW hosed UP IT IS

SEE ALL THOSE BUBBLES I HAD TO FILL!? I had a tiny bubble to fill in on the inside of his robe and another on the inside of his boot. Came out great!

What up, sorcerer bro! Have a cross post! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

CSM Sorcerer: yea or nay?

I think the concentrating/praying look would have been sold better with an outstretched hand or raised staff, but the sword kind of throws it off.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Just did my first attempt at NMM and I am SO loving EXCITED that I wanted to share it with all of you.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Bog standard conversion for a nurgle sorcerer lord, basically just posting it because I'm super excited to be doing hobby poo poo again.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

A friend is looking to sculpt an Ogre from scratch, was wondering what to block it out with? I thought maybe Fimo or Super Sculpey, but I have no experiences myself. When I worked at an animation studio we used to use foam, but I don't think that'd be durable enough.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Hellbeard posted:

A miniature Ogre I assume?
Green Stuff is a good way to go. It's very durable after curing. Build an armature and add layer by layer of green stuff waiting between them for it to cure. There's a lot of tutorials and guides but if you have any specific questions I'll be glad to help.

That'd be the way I'd go but he's looking for something cheaper than green stuff for the blocking. And yes, a miniature ogre for Warhammer fantasy. So I guess whatever the base material is, it'd need to bond okay with green stuff as that's what he wants to use for details.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I need a recommendation for a complementary colour. I'm using VGC ghost grey to paint the stone work on my garden of more. I don't know what colour I can paint all the roofing. 90% of the models are a purply grey highlighted up to a very light grey/white. I've tried patching various colours on but can't find any that doesn't either make it look to monochrome (and therefore boring) or clashes horribly (and looks like a tiny LSD playground).

From the description I'd think a dark blue-green? Works well with purple and grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

signalnoise posted:

What do you commission guys think about the pricing people put up on ebay for painted models that aren't commissioned in the first place?

I figure folks will buy them if they want them and won't if they don't. I don't think it's a popular way to do things, but given how rare painted is compared to unpainted on eBay, I'd say most people agree.

• Locked thread