Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Any advice on a good matte finish varnish spray? I went super cheap a while back and grabbed the Patricia Nimcock spray and.. well, you get what you pay for. The smells lingers for way too long and it generally looks like crap. I thought about grabbing the Krylon Matte Finish but I've heard that's better for a display model rather than a play model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Has anyone had any experience with using a rubber stamp and paint to apply a design to vehicles? I'm willing to try it but I'm mostly just afraid that it will look terrible and will splatter everywhere.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

evenworse username posted:

A lot of people suggest a contrasting colour to make your mini stand out and make its colours pop more. Green is the direct contrast to red I guess but that might not be the look you want. With that shade of red I think a grey might work well. Brown might be too close to that red.

Sometimes there's a basing scheme for the whole army like 'desert environment', 'winter', 'forest' or whatever and obviously that affects the colours you'd choose and the other basing materials you'd use. Overall I think you should go with whatever you think is cool in the end.

Riffing off of this advice, I would say go with a snow/winter base. Given the right materials it's fairly easy to make and the snow-white color should be just different enough from your bleached bone areas.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

What would be the best way to go about removing paint from just one portion of a model? I accidentally painted the head of a model the wrong color but I don't want to layer more paint on over the incorrect layers.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ended up just painting over it since my layers were pretty thin, it worked out alright. I was a little antsy about going from a purple layer to white to red but everything worked out in the end.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

A fair point to make regarding Simple Green: do not, like me, assume that the Simple Green that you find in the cleaning products aisle is what you want. Go back to the automotive section where they keep the good drugs concentrated stuff and get that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, exactly. It'll be in the automotive section of Wal-Mart, though I've seen it a few times in various hardware stores. I used the regular "ready to use" stuff and soaked some really old metal minis for a week and it didn't really do a great job. Two days in the concentrate and a few swipes of a toothbrush got them significantly cleaner. You definitely want to wear gloves, though, and keep the area well-ventilated. That poo poo stank up my downstairs bathroom for days.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Razzled posted:

This version of the product always stripped my metal/plastic models to the bare after a few hours of soaking and a little toothbrushing:

That's the stuff, right there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Has anyone used the Testor's decal solvent solution? It's sort of unclear as to whether it's supposed to be more like Microsol or Microset and I've seen differing statements about whether you apply it before or after applying the decal. I'm really unsure about this stuff and don't know if I should bother with it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The label on the jar says before and after, their website says after. My test run with it didn't help the decal lie especially flat so I don't even know what to think.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If I was looking to do a head swap on a Cygnar warjack, and swap in an eagle head of some kind for maximum 'Murica, what would my best option be?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

I haven't, but I'd say medium-dark grey primer, black wash until dark enough, hit the appropriate parts with petwer and old brass paints then wash those in brown and call it done.

I'd agree with this but I'd say Burnished Gold or whatever the modern version is for the trim.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Zenithal priming is when you prime with different shades at different angles. The easy version is to spray a darker shade directly horizontally at the bottom of the model, and then a lighter shade at a 45 degree angle. The harder version that I've seen is black, gray, and white at increasing angles.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 12, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SRM posted:

Wash them with warm, soapy water before assembly. Resin typically has a release agent on it when they remove it from the moulds, and this causes the pieces to feel kind of greasy and keeps paint from sticking to them also. Beyond that, don't be afraid to bend any bent bits to the right shape/angle using warm water and your hands. Pinning is good with larger pieces, but I think just infantry should be fine.

Dumb question: Mantic advertises some of their pieces as "plastic resin." Should I handle this any differently from resin, or is it pretty much the same?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Many moons ago, I tried using spray varnish and swore off it as I found it kept blurring some of my brushwork and losing a lot of detail. Since then I realize that it wasn't the varnish, it was something that I was doing wrong. What was it that I did wrong? My thought nowadays is that I held it too close to the models but it seemed like I wasn't getting much coverage further away.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

What's the best option for finding things like styrene rods or plasticard if you don't have a hobby store near you? I know the trick regarding using yard signs for their plasticard, but I'm looking more for things like rods. I somehow doubt Home Depot/Loew's is going to have anything.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Under 15 posted:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#polystyrene/=tgavr5

Best site for any fiddly amount of plastic.

gently caress yessssss thank you.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Between the mould lines and the thick primer I would strip them and start again.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

What's the best way to build up a good yellow on something that's been primed black? My initial thought was to lay down another color underneath it, like an orange or something, but I don't know how viable that is.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

No airbrush to be had, but thank you. I would have missed the brown step entirely and my yellow would likely suffer for it. Thankfully I don't have to do too much of it - just a couple of shoulder pads for some Deathwatch.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My can of Army Painter black primer is pretty close to done, so on my way home from work tonight I picked up a can of P3 because goons keep talking it up.

Holy gently caress, I am done buying any other kind of primer.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Good Answer: Get the concentrated stuff from the automotive department of your local big box store, auto parts store, or hardware store. Toss 'em in a resealable container (I've used junky tupperware in the past) and put it somewhere the dog won't get to it. Let them soak for a day or so and then take them out and scrub them with a toothbrush dedicated for this purpose (remember to wear rubber gloves).

Better Answer: gently caress that, get Super Clean instead.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Well, really you should be thinning acrylic paints with a mix of water and something that won't lose the binding agent - whether that's Future or a medium or whatever.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Shachi posted:

I hope this doesn't get me laughed out of the thread but here goes.

STUFF

This is literally what I'm doing for my paints already, though I'm not doing any airbrushing, just regular brush work. Works like a charm though I find that I prefer to buy my metallics and washes from [Citadel/Vallejo/Whatever you prefer].

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Bonus pic of SilverLeaf BucketHelm, one of my unit champions. :laugh:

Oh my god, it's the kid in the helmet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Scrunty as gently caress.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Magres posted:

Basically I'm just looking for steel chains with really small links, and with a 90 degree turn from chain to chain and rectangularly links (ie not the kind where the links are all twisty and lie flat together).

Jewelry supply stores come to mind immediately. There are a number of options here, for example, though none of them are properly rectangular. I suspect you'll have problems finding them in a true rectangular shape at that size.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I've had problems getting the P3 to stick to metal, but that may just be me. I am sure I'm Doing Something Wrong.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

At risk of stating the obvious, did you wash, dry, and prime the metal first?

Wash and dry, yes. The P3 is the aerosol primer. Unless I'm missing some complete other step as well.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

madpanda posted:

So is this metal?

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/a-z/50162

The Chronoscope series says it is but they also have minis like

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/a-z/80008

Which appears to be resin or plastic.

The first one is metal, the second one is Reaper Bones. The key here is the pricing, and also for some reason I want to say that they shoot all their Bones with a blue background.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I want to say I got mine from Wal-Mart.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

I ended up making a tiny rubbing tool from a bit of plastic rod and that seems to work fine.

That's basically what you're supposed to do. Some companies sell a tool for it but it's essentially just a smooth plastic nub on the end of a stick.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

big_g posted:

It can also be used to glue canopies and other transparent parts without any frosting or similar.

Thank you so much. I had no idea and was going to superglue on my first Storm Talon canopy tonight.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Looking at doing a gold-armored model soon and I'd like to forego my usual go-to of brown ink, as I'd like to make the gold pop a little more and be less muted than the brown usually makes it. Which colors would work best to accomplish this?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

This is how I usually do it:

Reaper: Ancient Bronze > brown wash > Antique Gold > New Gold > GW Mithril Silver > brown wash > purple wash in recesses > sparse highlights with silver.

This nets you a pretty rich gold that also pops out more. Silver is pretty important for a highlight stage, provided it's used sparingly and for edge highlights.

That's actually pretty close to how I'm doing most of my gold already, sans the purple wash, so this is excellent.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If they weren't $25 a pop, I'd use HeroForge to make an entire Inquisitorial henchman unit.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That should be fine as long as you thin them. Those types of paints tend to be very thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

One thing I would suggest? Don't thin them with water. Thin them with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and some sort of medium. I personally use Plegde Future (or Multi-Surface, or whatever it's called now). This will keep a thinned paint from being too runny.

• Locked thread