Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Korwen posted:

Duplicolor Sandable Primer is literally the exact same thing as P3 White Primer, just with a different label slapped on it. I buy mine at either O'Reilly or Advanced Automotive.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/sandablePrimer/

I've used this stuff and it's quite nice when handled with a light touch. The fact that it is sandable is both boon and bane. Nice because it should hold up to handling a little bit more, but not so nice since it can fill faster than finer primers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hey there painting goons! So, I haven't done any hobby stuff for like 3 years or so, and all my original hobby stuff is locked up in a storage unit several states away. However, recently I decided to get back into thangs and so I ended up going in half on a Warmachine two-player battle box.

This is the first hobby stuff I've done since 2010, and while I'm happy to be getting back into the swing of things, one thing I had forgotten about was the bane of every modeler's existence: mold lines. Have there been any advances since 2010 to help us thin our mold lines, or is it still just the same drudgery of scraping with a knife/filing/poking ourselves with hobby knives and files?

This is how far I've gotten since grabbing a hobby knife and glue earlier this evening:

:v:

I've found that polishing pins plus rotary tools equals Privateer Press Plastic Prepping Paradise. I use a medium grit polishing pin in one direction lifts the mold line up into a burr that I can subsequently go over again in the opposite direction to finalize the finish/remove the burr.

Same technique with files, along the line in one direction, then back the opposite direction filing at a 180 degree angle from the original angle.

Let me know if those directions aren't clear.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

How long do you let it soak?

Same as if you were stripping a miniature, and no, with most chrome parts on airbrushes it doesn't damage anything. I had that problem once when I first started using airbrushes. What I discovered was that one of the paints I used masqueraded as the internal color of the nozzle cap restricting the airflow around the nozzle enough that it wasn't passing the tip of the nozzle reliably. This created a lack of vacuum to pull the paint through the nozzle.

That was a gravity fed airbrush and that is the number one reason of restricted paint flow on that particular one. Paint does get into the cap eventually and it subsequently restricts the quality of the airflow past the nozzle...

If you don't strip with simple green, I'd give it 48 hours to be super sure the paint is loosened/dissolved.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

IrvingWashington posted:

where to buy brushes question

Dickblick.com
https://www.aswexpress.com
cheapjoes.com

I sign up for the newsletters with a burn account and wait for the deals. When the deal comes out I check to see how much they marked the brushes up vs. the other site's prices.

I check those three at a minimum before purchasing.

E:fixed a URL

MisterG fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 27, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

IrvingWashington posted:

This one is really artsupplywarehouse.com, right?

Oh crap, it's https://www.aswexpress.com

Apologies

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

dexefiend posted:

Airbrush Chat:
Get yourself a goddamned real paint respirator for organic vapors. They cost like 20 bucks, and they will keep you from getting sinus cancer!

Airbrush Chat:
Sorry I'm late into this chat. You won't just avoid sinus cancer you will literally save brain cells and lung problems too, not to mention you'll avoid injuring the ones you love and any other second-hand fume recipients. Most compressed "spray anything" paint supplies are toxic and the toxicity varies by brand and paint within each brand (different propellents and different mediums; black primer is often more toxic than white primer for example), but it's just toxic.

Avoid indoor spraying without a respirator
Avoid indoor spraying without a PROPER ventilation hood and spray booth that has an appropriate amount of CFM. (Cubic Feet per Minute)
Avoid excessive fans that minimize the impact of the ventilation booth & hood.
Read the labels of the stuff you are using and follow the instructions to the letter and to the intent.

LIVE Healthy - Please!

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Tyranid Painting:

The most stark contrasts and bright colors will occur with complementary colors. They end up looking really bright next to each other.

Black and White really is the highest contrast, but the way that one was done the white highlighting on the black de-saturated the black. Smaller highlights and glossier paint will increase the contrast back up and possibly shorter transitions in some of the places as well.

All the examples are better than anything I can find fast, so I'll leave it with those points.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You either need to Matte Varnish or greatly adjust the position of your Lightbox lamps. You're getting a washed out yellow tinge on the photos (bad) and a large amount of glare off of the miniature (also bad).

The choice of background is also fighting the miniatures color scheme. Look for a slightly darker background; light grey or medium grey depending on your definition of those, and move from there.

If you are getting a tint based on the type of light-bulb you are using check your camera for a custom white-balance setting, place an entirely white card in front of the camera (so it's the only thing in the viewscreen) and hit the custom white balance option/button. It should adjust for the bias of the camera and the bulbs you are using.

IF you are using different bulbs, fix that as well by using all the same type. Different bulb types will really mess with the color balance of the image.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Edit: ^^^^ that especially.

Oxford Comma posted:

Ok, its not just me, then. I wonder if I can still paint on it and have things work out alright or if I need to reprime. ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

If it is still tacky, then it is still drying and you will likely encounter a crackling effect for any water based (faster drying) paints you put on it.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

richyp
On an unrelated note, I have a shitload of Zombicide minis to paint now (244 to be exact, not counting dogs,) and have no idea of how to do the bases. The game takes place in a city, so I'll need to replicate concrete and/or asphalt, so standard sand and rubble basing won't look right. I've seen wet/dry sandpaper used as asphalt, but I don't want to have to cut every model off of its base. Any ideas, anyone?

If there is no limit to funding, then model railroad ballast comes in some fairly fine grit. There are also some Liquitex brand artist mediums that are really fine. You need to water them down until they are runny. At that point they are self leveling. The artist mediums are VERY sticky, so I'd look at the ballast first.

If you are looking for spending less, I'll defer to others.It is *possible* to use a putty like milliput grey to fill in textures, but getting it perfectly flat with the mini already attached takes practice.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Pigments are great - unless you want to ever handle your model. <snip> you can't really apply any varnish to your model, or you blow the dust off. Some guys use hairspray to affix the powders, but I think you have to spray from a pretty good distance. Pigments are pretty much meant for display pieces.

<snip>

EDIT: After watching the video, I wonder if he's already mixed the powder and thinner? Or maybe Secret Weapon powders have a better adhesion? Interesting...

The pigments I use are all sticky to some degree. Some are even water soluble so you can add a dab of water to facilitate sticking the pigment to the surface. I've had success sealing them with both brush on or spray sealer. Of course, I take care when doing so. Definitely read reviews on the pigments that are out there to learn what characteristics they have before purchasing. Also consider buying a few different brands to get familiar with them and decide for yourself which you like most.

BULBASAUR posted:

This is pro advice. You can also use alcohol to temporarily fix pigment on earlier stages (for stuff like mud) before varnishing at a later stage. Alas no matter how you fix pigments they will loose some of their color and dustiness. The only way around this is to varnish your model and brush the pigment onto the model while its still sticky (very hard to do)

Could it be the thickness of the pigment that is the issue you are describing? I have not needed to put the pigment on with wet varnish, but I do multiple thin layers with the pigments while sealing as I go.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone tried airbrushing with the cheap paints you get from Michaels (like Applebarrel, or Ceramcoat)? I think I'm just going to try to airbrush a concrete color onto my Zombicide bases, then maybe sponge highlights to get a concrete effect. From what I'm reading on model railroading forums, those cheap paints have some pretty good concrete-like colors, but I'd rather airbrush if I can, rather than have to hand brush all those minis. Obviously, I'll thin the paint, but I'm concerned that the pigments won't be fine enough and I'll constantly be clogging the brush.

I've tried Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel and Aleene's. Meh, No! and Meh. They just aren't formulated for it. The comment that it'll teach you how to make a good mix is spot on. You will suffer a horrible clog if it's too thick, you will have colored water if it's too thin and the sweet spot will be like an invertebrate trying to stick a landing off parallel bars.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I think its more the filter effect you get by covering the pigment with a slightly opaque liquid. Here's what I mean:

Thank you! I'm definitely going to experiment with different sealers now. I haven't used hairspray in ages and have been using either Testors dullcote or Reaper's brush on sealer (diluted) and definitely did not consider taking a photo (or paying attention apparently) as I went through the layers.

Of course, that just reminds me of my bad habit of not taking notes either. I have gotten better at that since I saw a friend use his phone's camera to keep track of the paints he used on his miniatures; He placed the miniature next to the color choices, snapped a shot and named the image after the name of the figure. Instant color notes!

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

radlum posted:

I don't know if I need glasses or if this is normal, but I have some issues with little details, like mouths, eyes, etc.

Do you use a magnifier glass/lenses/that thing clockmaker use for those details?

I've found that an optiVISOR with the appropriate magnification (Look at how far away you hold the miniature and get a magnifier that matches that distance with it's "focal length") does the trick for intricate details.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Darren MacLennan posted:

Here's what you do: Go buy some pantyhose. Cut off a little square and put it between the bottle and the plastic screw-on dispenser, and the square will catch the big chunks of paint before they make your way into the airbrush.

Voila: You now can use cheap paint in your airbrush and not worry about clogs.

-Darren MacLennan

Craft paint clogging an airbrush is not solely due to clumps in the paint. It is also because the pigment is not as fine as in hobby paint made specifically for miniature or model painting. There is also less pigment on average, thicker filler/lake and not as much attention paid to consistency. It is typically a lower quality paint.

Lower quality tool ='s more problems for specialized applications.

None of this is intended as a rip on craft paints; just an observation that it is not as good a tool for miniatures and especially airbrushing. Will it work? Absolutely. It will just take more effort to get the best results out of it. These best results will typically be inferior to the high quality paints.

When most people factor all the time spent compensating for the increased challenge/difficulty of using craft paint, they often find that the higher cost is worth the time savings.

Sure, I spent many years making $$$ off of craft paint paint-jobs because I simply couldn't afford the good stuff. However, once I had enough money to completely transition to Reaper & Vallejo I never looked back. The time I saved allowed me to crank more stuff out.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Reaper has like, maybe five figures with guns that aren't pirates or modern. I'm looking for a more fantasy or Mordheim Witch Hunter vibe.

I take it that the pathfinder female gunslinger Reaper makes doesn't cut it for you then...

Considering that there is a very highwayman looking pirate in the Black Scorpion range, but she's got a sword and a pistol instead of two pistols. Might be able to make a clean cut and add another pistol. It's the "Pirate Girls 2" pack:

Werner Klocke's Freebooter range has one that looks like a definite maybe:

http://www.freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/85

There's one more range I'm trying, but failing, to remember. I'll drop it in later if I remember it or find it as I peruse my thousands of manufacturer URLS.

Just checking, but would something with a bit of steampunk in it be bearable for you? (I'm thinking the answer is no, but figured I'd double check).

E: Maybe Mira the Inquisitor by Patrick Keith. She's on his Bombshell Babes site:

http://bombshell-miniatures.highwire.com/product/mira

MisterG fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 9, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

polyfractal posted:

^^^^^^ That's a cool model.

So, oil washes. Just tried it for the first time tonight...very cool technique. Ran into a few problems though.

When dry, the oil paint was rather "grainy". The paint didn't dry to a solid layer but looked more like little flecks. Does this mean I used too much thinner? Too much paint? My paint is bad?

The paint is also rather "discrete". An area either has oil paint or it doesn't, and you can see the boundary rather clearly. Do oils not thin down to transparency like acrylics? It looks great in cracks/crevices, but rather less impressive on larger areas of shadow inside of muscles. I had to go back in a few places and manually blend out the shadow with a bit of oil paint.

Lastly, and more of an observation, oil washes are really harsh critics of your model prep. Any rough patches or poorly removed mold lines become upsettingly visible, even more than regular washes.

I like what others have said about the oil, for example, checking the spirits you are using.

For the sake of completely covering the topic: From a "paint is the problem" perspective it IS possible to over-thin paint to the point that the pigment begins to clump together and dries with a speckled/grainy look. I'm leaning away from this because of how you described the attempts you made to vary the thickness of the paint to test that out.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Boon posted:

Does anyone have any experience with how gloss and matte varnishes will be affected when sprayed in cold weather? I have models I'm going to need to finish, but it's currently 40 degrees outside (would spray then bring inside).

If you are ever going to spray indoors AND If you own a house:

Save up your pennies for a really long time to get a spray booth & vent it outside the house. Does your lungs and brain cells good and sucks all things harmful and smelly out of the house. Of course, get the hood with a pane for a light and the light as well. It can cost a bit, but it's better than lung surgery.

E: best purchase I ever did since the days with good outdoor priming conditions can be few and far between where I live. and yes yes yes to respirator

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Uber Kosh posted:

Just a heads up, the Badger Sotar is down to $65 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BROVIO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT: VVV All good. I've had it sitting in saved for later ever since the first goonrush on it. Saw it dropped this morning and thought to post it.

If there is a Harbor Freight in your area, they sell some nice gravity fed airbrushes. One that comes with the compressor and the airbrush for $99.99 I believe. The airbrush is almost identical to a mid-rangish Iwata.

Agreed that airbrushes are not too difficult once you have the right tools & holy ointments to take care of them. Until you figure that stuff out it can be a pain. Read up ahead of time = never run into the teething problems I did when I first bought into them.

Dual action gravity airbrush all the way. After a day with a badger single action I was yearning for double action gravity fed.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

krushgroove posted:

The cheapo clone brushes are decent enough because they are copies, it's getting parts that will be a problem. If a needle gets bent (most likely) or a seal goes bad (unlikely but it could happen) you need to be able to get parts.

More valid warnings.

Good point. I'll double check the harbor freight vs. my Iwata to double check. I was able to use the Iwata Quick disconnect parts on the airhose connector for the Harbor Freight one. I'll check the spare Iwata parts I've got against it as well.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Keiya posted:

The reaper kits were the reason for the 'still exists', reaper seems to have removed them from their site and I can only find a couple "One left!!!!" entries on Amazon for further-info-sharingness. If I wasn't proposing this for a non-hobby person to get someone, I would totally go with the piecemeal method and shove it all in a gift bag. But, yknow, explaining all that to someone who doesn't particularly care is tricky. The WH40K set looks like the best bet there, though, thanks!

Easiest way to find 'em on the site is to use the abbreviation ltpk, but you are absolutely right that they are low on supplies. I've sent an e-mail to Reaper to see if they have more on the way. It could be as simple as the paint pots are low on supply, so they need to get a restock before they can build a pile of learn-to-paint-kits (not that i expect them to tell me the specific reason).

edit: Reaper Adrienne replied "The LTPK#2 has been temporarily suspended until further notice. We have all the others."

MisterG fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 19, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Wasn't Reaper switching to Bones for the learn to paint kits? That could be why. Or did they already make that switch and it's the new Bones kits that they are out of?

That is very possible all things considered. The original idea was to make paint & takes more affordable, but it quickly turned into "hey, I bet this will sell well on it's own!"

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

dexefiend posted:

I have taken multiple seminars from really good painters, and one thing all of them said is dont use ultra small brushes. Get a higher quality size 1 and 2 and the details will be easier than you expected. The higher quality brushes will hold a point better, and the larger brush size means the reservoir holds more liquid (which means the tip wont dry as fast.)

This is some of the best advice you could have ever gotten. The tip of the brush and the size of the reservoir DO matter. The difference is how much time you want to spend going back to the paint pot or palette versus actually painting the figure.

The time you save also works in your brushes favor.
Dip in paint
Paint the mini
Rinse the brush
Remove excess water
Dip in paint
etc.

It can also be easier to get paint into the ferrule of a smaller brush for those of us, myself included, that dip by feel vs. watching what we are doing.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Gonna bring up my Escoda brushes again for this reason. They have long bristles so you carry more paint, but still have that sharp size 0 tip. I don't think I could ever use a size 2 unless I was base coating a tank, but that's personal preference.

^^^Would you say the action on the Escoda is soft or firm? Comparable to a regular W&N Series 7? Finally, which line Optimo?

Note to others looking into W&N Series 7. There are two types of W&N Series 7. One that is typically what folks are recommending and another that typically includes the word "mini" or "miniature" depending on the website. Like the name implies, the mini is a smaller amount of bristle.

E: added clarification & asked another question about the Escoda.

Pacheeco covered it Direwolf. At Dick Blick they are called the round (and seem to be having a stock issue). At Jerry's Artarama I am not seeing the exact inventory numbers I got once. At ASWExpress seems to have the correct stock number with their "standar" line, but the prices seem a bit steep compared to the last time I purchased them. I'm definitely giving Bulbasaur's recommendation a try.
vvvvvv

MisterG fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 19, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

You're looking for "Escoda Reserva Kolinsky-Tajmyr Sable Point" brushes. Here they are on Blick.

The quality is superb. Compared to the W&Ns they are thinner, longer, cost less, but don't come to nearly as sharp a tip. The touch is soft, but I can't compare directly since I haven't used a W&N in years. Size 0 is my warhorse brush and I highly recommend it. If you like painting with smaller brushes you can't beat the extra staying power you get from the extra brush length.

e: The brush handles are also made from this cool textured wood so they feel old school as hell

Thank you. Comparing the measurements listed on Dick Blick I'll try the 1 and 2 size and go from there. The shorter handle might work for me; I'm a firm believer in experimenting a every once and a while to make sure I haven't gotten biased. I am a bit worried about the tip being an issue, but have generally had good luck keeping the point on brushes & Dick Blick has a good replacement policy.

Aside: Is it me or does every brush site have an inventory problem right now?

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Pilgrimski posted:

I think the blue and red works well together. The only reason it looks Christmassy is the bit of green, and then only because red/green has been stolen by Christmas marketing :)

You can quickly mitigate the Christmas feel by using brown ink on the base in some locations while using a dunn/pale yellow and white to age/weather the flock to a dead grass color in the remaining locations. Perhaps it would be more effective with two textures, but it's possible to pull this off with just flock.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Direwolf posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a base model to convert into a Starcraft II Baneling? They look like this: .

It should fit on a 25 mm round base.

Absolutely. The cliff mites from the SSTTMG (Starship Troopers the Miniature Game). They are now for sale at rebelminis. I'd chop the legs down / file the legs down and not worry about the different placement of the head.

http://rebelminis.com/terrormites.html

e: let me know if you need size comparisons

MisterG fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 21, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Size comparison picture (albeit crappy & rushed quality)

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

What company is he from by the way?

He's a Reaper figure from their Warlord line (which was a great game when Warlord 2 came out). They have some really nice Dwarves for that line and Dark Heaven Legends.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/warlord%20dwarf/latest/14042

E:vvvvv When I said Dunn yellow, I was referring to the yellow having a sandy brown as it's "base" pigment. The alternative would be for the yellow to have a green or blue bias, which will make the base look like it's covered in lemon colored grass. If it looks like dried grass to you, the yellow is the correct kind. If it looks oddly lively and vivid, it's not the right yellow.

MisterG fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 21, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Great Captain America reference.

Blackheads is funny.

They could also be the "Red headed stepchildren"

"Crimson heads"?

E:vvvvvv Crimson skulls - yes!

MisterG fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 23, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

For me, mixing in the cup is a no go. Apparently, I'm just not talented enough. Instead, I use dropper bottles and go with a roughly 50/50 mix of paint & water. My main paint is Reaper Master's Series. I adjust the ratio to limit clogging.

Mix paint
Test with "water tension test"
When water tension is right, dispense it into the Feeder Cup
Paint Paint Paint

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Not a viking posted:

I'm having so much fun painting dark eldar! The red got a little too pink on the highlights. I think i'll just use straight elf flesh and then add red wash afterwards and see if its better on the next models.

I was trying to get something like this:

I just hope I can get people to play Gangs of Nur Ork with me so I can use them.

Gangs of Nur Ork would be cool.

Considering the colors; You got them matched very well. The only suggestion I'd have is if you are attempting to match EVERYTHING about the original paint job. If you are, you might consider tightening up the transition at the top of the highlights. That is, the highest highlight should be the smallest area covered and/or the thinnest of thing edges.

I like your more gradual effect & think it's great; it's the only thing that immediately stood out as "different".

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

InfiniteNoodles posted:

Should I be thinning P3 metallics? I'm having trouble using metallic paint of any kind without them looking either globbed on or thin and splotchy on flat surfaces. Any tips on getting even coats?

Vallejo are the best (E:Acryllic) metallics out there. They are also the most toxic so use separate paint water and if you are a brush licker - just don't do it. It'll give you serious health problems that take a LONG time to go away. Good for painting with, not good for absorbing into your body.

E: clarification

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Wait what? I've been trying out VMA metallics because a bunch of goons obviously recommended them, but I never saw anything either in the recommendations or on the labeling about a hazard. The label tells me it conforms to D-4236 and that "no health labeling [is] required" and a quick google search tells me that D-4236 is the standard that would require them to state health dangers if there were any.

Basically, can you refer to any sources that aren't quasiscientific paranoia on the level of "OH GOD THERE ARE TECHNICALLY MERCURY ATOMS IN THIS VACCINE :byodood:"? I'm not trying to call you out personally or anything; I obviously have a personal interest in knowing with some veracity.

For the record, I don't lick my brushes ever, though I have been using my dishwasher to clean my palette. :ohdear:

The way I understand it; warning labels are about a logical use of the product. Since they are not intended for ingestion they don't say "warning, this may affect your health".

I'll try to find the forum threads about it. It could be that it's an e-mail warning from a mailing list; so I apologize for not adding the source to start. I'll add an edit to this if I don't find the source as well.

Definitely wouldn't stop using the stuff as it was ingestion oriented. The only correlation I've got is that every cat that drank my paint rinse had liver problems & every cat that didn't did not have said liver problems. Obviously that is not scientific evidence and there could have been other causes/effects going on.

For now, here is their page on their products safety:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/security

A page that did what appears to contain some of the research I was remembering:

http://brokenzealot.blogspot.com/2012/01/paint-toxicity.html

I'm still not finding the first time I found it, but will keep looking.

E: Found one of the ones I'm remembering but it's not about the metallics.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28534-toxicity-of-vallejo-paints/

MisterG fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 24, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

moths posted:

I was thinking about putting dark tinted plastic behind the windows, but I think that could look even less period.

What you have looks great and much more in-period than any of the gem-like or dark windows effects. The really insane thing to do would be to paint the truck interior on the cardstock and place it behind plastic/plexiglas windows... not that I'd do that.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Nice. In particular I like the tie-in of blue & orange with the purple/blue on the ridges. Nice touch. Based what I've seen of your metallics, I take it the blade is not reflecting all the highlights? It seems a little bit let defined than the pommel of the weapon.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

HardCoil posted:

Haley's, though impressive, just ends up looking like a really crappy quality knitted cloak, because the threads are as wide as a finger :/

It's not always about correct scale as long as it fools the viewer's brain into accepting it as the material. If you look at the majority of "realistic" wood-grain effects you'll notice the grain is considerably too large. Still looks nice if done well & usually looks much better than anything exactly to scale (and possibly too small to see without a magnifier)

This is not meant as an attempt to change your opinion; just an explanation about why it's like that.

Some painters do get it smaller though. I'll see if I can find the one I'm thinking of. It might not be as small of a weave as I'm thinking though.

E: Found it, but you can only see the pattern on the monk, but not the texture that is also painted on it:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/schubert/sku-up/02533#detail/IG_1536_1

MisterG fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 26, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Caddrel posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for painting in a small apartment? I'd like to do some painting but I'm worried I wont be able to air out the apartment enough.

This was my plan until I got a house:

For airbrushing

Artograph spray booth (or home-made equivalent; be sure to research safety issues of home-made booths)
Laundry/Dryer vent
Laundry vent flexible tubing
Piece of plywood for window

The plywood gets sized to fit in an open/cracked window
The Laundry/Dryer vent attached to the wood
The Spray booth is attached to the Laundry vent via the flexible tubing.

Each time you use the booth, place the wood with vent in the window, seal it/close the window on it until it's secure (perhaps use a properly sized dowel to ensure the window stays firmly clamped on the wood.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Khorne Flakes posted:

Think someone had a way to bring white out more in backgrounds in photos, if they could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Using only natural daylight is how you get the best white balance in photos, but a close 2nd place is using your camera's custom white balance setting. Find the manual for the camera & search for "custom white balance". When you take the photo, ensure that all the illuminated bulbs are the same brand and make. Then find a "true white" piece of cardstock, or plasticard. It doesn't work as well if it is a sheet of paper that light (and darkness) can show through.

When you do your custom white balancing, ensure that the only thing showing is the white.

Helpful?

E: grammar tweaks

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Khadhul posted:

I see. I thought rust took a longer time to form, like weeks/months of leaving poo poo unattended/unmaintained. Shows what I know v:v:v

Never occurred to me to look it up or consider how long it took. I've always taken it as a given that you could find rust on something in the field. As always, this thread is a gold-mine.

Ask.com says 5 to 6 days depending on the Oxygen present:

quote:

How Long Does It Take for Steel to Rust?

Answer
It will take around 5 to 6 days for steel to rust. The time it takes to rust also depends upon the oxygen in the environment. The lesser the amount of oxygen, the longer it will take for the steel to rust.

Source:http://www.ask.com/question/how-long-does-it-take-for-steel-to-rust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Not a viking posted:

Is this a sort of abusing spouse tactic from GW? "Look how horrible you COULD have been! You could have been Australian! You are really lucky to have me" *raises price by 40%*

Real post: I noticed in a local hobby store that they got a few new weathering stuffs. Didn't catch the name, but its in 45(?) ml bottles with black tops and its called "oil grime" "battlefield dust" and names like that. It had a lot of different brands and they all seemed to gear towards ww2 tank modellers so I thought it can't be worse than the GW stuff. I think I should go back next week and have another look.

That almost sounds like the AK-Interactive stuff:

http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?acc=Catalog&sacc=view&IDCat=683&p=1&idp=6460&idc=3

E: They have a bi-monthly (?) magazine subscription that is pretty good. The one word of note is that they have some cheesecake model that they photoshop into the models here and there and at first I was thinking to myself "WTF?" and they eventually acknowledged that folks had complained and toned it down sort of.

• Locked thread