Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Iron Squid posted:

How can I make the horns on my Chaos Space Marines look good? I put down a coat of Bleached Bone, and was thinking of washing them with Devlan Mud, but I want to get some thoughts first.

Black primer -> Denab Stone -> Devlan Mud wash -> Bleached Bone except in the recesses -> Skull White highlights.

It feels like loving cheating, it's so easy.

EDIT: Maybe take it easy on the Bone/White layers, depending on whether you want gritty/dirty horns or, well, bleached bones. Either way, Devlan Mud the poo poo out of those bad boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Is there a role in Formula 1 similar to a enforcers in hockey? Because I think I could drive an F1 car long enough to crash into the race leader and give my teammate a chance to win.

As long as the cars are automatic, I can't drive stick. And I haven't driven a car at all in a couple of years.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

PaintVagrant your basing kits own almost as much as my warham photo skills blow

I think tomorrow I'm gonna bust out the heavy duty poo poo and try getting some photos that don't turn out like total poo poo.

EDIT: Jesus gently caress, I almost regret posting that loving thing. That is really not a good photograph, yet it is somehow the best one I got.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice man, is that the static or turf?

Static, though admittedly I rushed through that one, in complete disregard of the tips sheet you included in the box, because I really badly wanted to see how it looked. I think the glue underneath was still wet when I was doing the drybrushing, and I slopped way too much on there when I was trying to get the grass to stand up. Considering this is the first model I've actually based, I'm OK with the results, but when I do the rest of the squad tonight I'm intending to half-rear end it a lot less.

Enormous line-by-line quote breakdown of Ashcans's post incoming. Sorry for the long quotetrain, but I thought it was a v. good post and I wanted to give it the reply it deserved. :unsmith: Thanks for the tips, man.

Ashcans posted:

How are you taking your pictures? That picture isn't really out of focus as such, you just have a very narrow depth of field so that only a small slice of it is actually in the focal range. I'm guessing that you're using a low f-stop on your camera or possibly a the Flower/Close up mode? That helps with getting enough light in but it makes it really hard to get the whole miniature in focus.

That one was at f/6.3, 200mm, I think ISO400, with image stabilization on, hand-held, from the other side of the room.

Getting enough light is always a problem in that room (this was at night, so no natural light), so I gave the 70-200 VR lens a shot - the hope was that the VR would hold the thing still long enough to let me shoot slow and still get decent shots. Unfortunately I still had it too open (f/6.3 isn't enough), and on top of that, I forgot that long focal lengths just poo poo all over depth of field. I took the oath complete shots at I think f/8 or f/11, which I think I'm going to stick with, because those looked a bit better.

I went with the long lens as an experiment because none of the glass I have can get close enough to fill the frame with an inch-high model without being well inside the minimum focusing distance of the lens. I actually think it sort of worked in that regard, though there are still other problems.

Well, that's not entirely true, the 50mm 1.8 can do it, but the DoF on that...

Ashcans posted:

The best way to get a picture is really to use a tripod. If you have enough control over your camera, set it to a high f-stop to increase your depth of field.

Yeah, I've come to realize, albeit far too slowly, that hand-holding with available light is never going to work. Next up is trying a tripod or a speedlight with a diffuser. I have both a good tripod and an SB600, so I think some combination of the two will let me light these loving models up brighter than the surface of the sun.

Ashcans posted:

This will also push the shutter speed way down, which is why you need to mount it on a tripod so that you can use as long an exposure as you need.

Exactly. I need either more light (to shoot fast) or a tripod (to shoot slow). I have both, I'm just not using them, because I'm probably a retard.

Ashcans posted:

If you don't have actual f-stop control, maybe you can set it to the 'Mountain/Landscape', which should push for a high stop and better depth of field.

Part of the reason my situation is slightly embarrassing is because I actually have a decent SLR and I'm shooting in full manual. I promise I'm not this bad at shooting larger objects, but god help me I cannot take pictures of these tiny loving things to save my life.

Ashcans posted:

You may need to push the camera to overexpose a bit, too, judging by the shadows. Sometimes a camera will meter based on the white background and underexpose the actual model - if you can adjust the focus/meter framing to work from the model that would help, too.

I've noticed it doing this, yeah, and I usually overexpose a couple of stops, going by the built-in lightmeter.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2010

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The only metallics I ever use are Boltgun and Burnished Gold. I thin the Boltgun just like anything else, but the Gold I either slap on right out of the pot (picking out details) or thin just a tiny tiny bit (for bigger areas).

I know multiple thin coats will look better but jesus christ thinned GW gold takes forever to cover black primer.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Shallow posted:

Glue epic Rhinos on so it looks like your vypers are flying really high.

I actually kind of like this idea and if I ever end up doing anything on a flying base I'm probably going to do that. :frogbon:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

!amicable posted:

Here's what I am working on between my thesis...

Still really rough, but I have the body of the defiler mostly done except for cleaning highlights. I need to work on the grinders weapon and pick out details on the whole thing.

It's supposed to be Malal themed... I dunno, is that stupid?

This owns. My wife is re-playing Persona 4 right now, and she just got past that boss. This is like the only warham that hasn't left her shaking her head at me and my hobbies.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

If I was offering a kit of plasticard, that included:

6 sheets of .04 (~1mm) 6"x10"
2 sheets of .02 (~.5mm) 6"x10"
2 sheets of .06 (~1.5mm) 6"x10"

For $13 plus shipping

Would you guys be interested? Thats 600 square inches of the most useful thicknesses of card!

Will buy the everloving gently caress out of this.

Probably like 2 of them, on account of I'm beginning to consider a papercraft Warhound as a valid use of time and money.

Also sell a hole punch or something for making rivets.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Mine gets diluted a little bit, just because I use a wet brush to spread it on the base.

All I usually do is put glue directly on the base, brush it around, cover with sand, and then when it's dry soak it in Devlan Mud and drybrush bleached bone.

I mostly leave my space barbies sitting on my desk, which is probably how I can get away with not fixing the sand on there better, but it works for me.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Goddamn those Lost Temple bases own so loving hard.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Wash Devlan, drybrush whatever the gently caress you want, wash Baal.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Yup, those own pretty hard.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I've literally never seen a conversion that uses Dreadnought shin armor for Terminator shoulder pads that doesn't look like total poo poo.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Zarkov Cortez posted:

That's supposed to be pre-heresy.

I know, and when it's done right, like that one there, it looks fine. I just mean the ones that are literally just Dreadnought leg armor attached to Terminator arms. It's far too large, and it never fails to look goofy as hell to me.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

:v:?

I do like this guy, but it's in spite of the gargantuan (even by 40k standards) shoulder armor. Also the iconography on them looks upside down, because of the way you have to mount them.

That Thunderhammer is pretty rad, though, and the paintjob is nifty, especially the hammer and the face.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I think the Spear of Sicarius was only (only!) like $1,100.

Or you could have bought ten of those $450 Battle Company boxes that came out with Apocalypse, which would be $4500. Granted, that would only give you the 1000 marines and their Rhinos, since it didn't come with any Land Raiders, Dreadnoughts, or Land Raiders, but if you bought all of those it'd still be cheaper and involve less model-trading than buying ten Spears of Sicarius.

I thought about buying one, actually, since $450 for more Marines than I'd ever need is a pretty sweet deal (or that 10 pack of Leman Russes), but then I realized that I get bored painting squads of 5, so buying a hundred loving marines would be really stupid.

EDIT: Some guy on Dakka or B&C did the math on the Spear, it wasn't more expensive than buying the units individually, just the exact same price. You literally didn't save one cent buying that damned thing. At least the Battle Company was cheap enough that it worked out to like 6 free Rhinos or something.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 13, 2010

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I really want to buy a shitload of those guys but the regular guns look stupid and something seems off about the heads. The helmets are too huge or something, I don't know what it is.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind, but hearing it from you is making the decision not to blow money on space barbies even harder.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I've had paint stay wet on there for days.

It's probably the single best hobby technique I've learned, because it took 5 minutes to make the thing and now I don't spend half my warham time mixing up paint anymore.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

1) Paint him yellow to fit in with the meganobz he's usually going to be hanging out with. The squad would look coherent, and I would shed a single fluffy tear.

2) Paint him blue because he's a deff skull, lead a yellow mob around. He'll stand out a lot, but because he'll significantly darker. (my shade of blue is very deep.)

Paint him green. :colbert:

EDIT: Word on the street is that green is best. :orks:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Dr. Lenin posted:

(he does have a second leg, its just hard to see because of the angle.)

I like the squad, especially since no one ever runs Nurgle Raptors, but this dude owns seriously hard. Such an awesome pose.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Aaaaand there's many things wrong with this guy. No upper legs, a crotch-gun, his head is a jawless skull with anti-grav chains... and he wants it painted first.

I love this.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I can imagine a couple of use cases for it. One would be when I put the tracks on the wrong side of a Vindicator and had to rip them off and start over. Another would be if you want to re-equip a squad when your list changes or a new codex drops - I've pried the arms off of Terminators to replace them with lightning claws, and that poo poo's way more brutal if you use plastic glue. Popping arms and guns off of poo poo seems like a reasonable thing to do, unless you go around buying new models all over the place.

I do use the Testor's plastic glue for almost everything, because I hate poo poo breaking, and it's kind of cool to pick up a Land Raider by the smoke launcher.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure that you can go in and edit your pledge at any time until the close of the Kickstarter. But I've never actually tried it!

I've done it, you can change your donation/reward tier as long as the kickstarter is open. I did have a problem where, because I'm an idiot, I tried to change rewards before I changed the donation, which is obviously problematic, but other than that it works as expected.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I use a lovely one I made out of a shallow bowl, with a wet paper towel folded into it and a sheet of wax paper laid over the top. I've heard the better thing to do is get a tupperware container, like sandwich sized, and cut a sponge to fit before adding water and covering with wax paper. That way you can re-seal it and keep paint wet for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Probably but I didn't have parchment paper in the house. :v:

• Locked thread