Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is this some sort of Civilization style game where you can pit spearmen against M1A1s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

No Pun Intended posted:

Is that the new smog stuff ?

The Retribution disagree

Actually I quite like the Forgeguard.

Edit, these:

The dwarf troops are the reason why I am collecting a useless dwarf mercenary army. Highshields are also awesome.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Forget Noise Marines, this guy's covered in trumpets.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Which one of you jokers buried me in a dress?!

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, a nurgling. Under the sideways foot. On the bottom of the previous page.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

To be fair, I imagine it looks pretty spectacular, though subdued under normal lighting.

It is a mistake I commonly make. I tend to make things kind of gentle and gradual, but you really have to go overboard with highlighting and shading on minis to make them look interesting.

Reading tips here and on EOW has not only made my stuff pop a lot more, but I have been able to get stuff cranked out considerably faster.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

That is some real neat freehanding on the powerweapon blades, PV.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Just dress up their warlock like Michael Jackson in Smooth Criminal and it'll be an awesome theme squad.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Silo full of unpainted miniatures.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

Haven't posted anything in a while as free painting time been seriously reduced recently, but here's a little WIP of my current project:

Click here for the full 1024x864 image.

Click here for the full 1024x649 image.

Click here for the full 1024x841 image.

Click here for the full 1024x864 image.

This is really awesome and I would just like to say that I love Imperial Fist stuff that says "Dorn" on it because I always associate "Michael" with that name rather than "Rogal".

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

you know what?

gently caress you!

That's what.

--
Naw I'm just kidding, I don't really try to compare myself to the painters on here so I never have to get better, I mean because we all have different talent levels.

edit: Man, if I ever paint a model to completely finished, call Guinness (then pour me a Guinness)
That's a huge picture of a tiny model. If you shaded in the mouth a bit it would look ten times better. And besides, I am sure it looks find on the tabletop as is.

Don't let good painters discourage you. Just keep practicing and having fun. Painted models are better than unpainted models.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

It's looking a lot better. Practice is the only thing that'll make you better, so if you think you suck, just keep painting more.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

uncle jimbo posted:

Vague as poo poo question, but how do I paint moderately well yet quickly? You guys have any particular tips other than practice/devlan mud/adderall?
It looks "moderately good" to me already.

Good brushes are a key. Series 7 is where it's at. They might even be less expensive than the stuff Games Workshop puts out.

Paint consistency is probably the most important thing, and that takes practice to get used to. Otherwise, it's just a matter of staying in the lines, and knowing a few tricks.

The order I would suggest is:
1) Put down a solid base coat.
2) Drybrush some highlights on.
3) Use an appropriate wash for shading.
4) Re-highlight areas that need it.

Listen to music or a podcast you enjoy while you're working and time will zip right by.

Remember that you're dealing with a tabletop game. If it looks good at arms length, you're good to go.

Otherwise, if you see something that somebody else did that looks neat, ask them how they did it.

(Also yellow is a difficult color scheme to do right.)

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Lots of fine painting.
Those are all awesome.

A blast of Dullcote should take the shine off of Mr. Wizard.

Those candles are great, and the snakes are snazzy as hell. Did you just drybrush on some gold or what?

The little skeletons look great, and priming the big ones black isn't such a big deal, because there will be dark spots that will be hard to get into anyway. Skeletons don't need an especially clean look.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

It helps with shading and highlighting since the white doesn't go into recesses very well, and sticks to prominent surfaces.

It should speed things up a bit because you're spraying more and painting less. I have experimented with it a bit, but haven't actually gotten very far in the painting stages, so I can't say much.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Whoever plays a wizard that looks like that is a boss.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Catachan heads are the obvious solution. Try one of those or a skull.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Sykic posted:

Turns out I'm awful at making bases that aren't just dirt and grass. How would I make urban debris for this fine fellow? Or failing that, something that looks dangerously rocky?

As you can see the current rock and gravel look just isn't cutting it, it's too flat and plain. Also, any comments on how to improve the model itself would be appreciated. Yeah I know it lacks highlights but I didn't have the patience for them at the time.
Add some yellow or white strips so to complete the middle-of-the-road/parking-lot look.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

IrvingWashington posted:

Holy poo poo, everyone is so good. I'm loving the casting experiments.

I figure I'm going to follow this Bad Moons speed-painting tutorial and see if I can get things to come out similar with my terrible paints. I reckon this would be a good technique to get my kid into painting, then the orks can be his (he already modifies everything, so I think it would suit him anyway).

Got some Pledge with Future Shine via Amazon because I don't think my cheapo stuff was cutting it. I've seen recipes for a water/fs pre-mix using 5:1 up to 10:1 - what ratios do you folks use?
I have a set of Black Reach orks that I used most of that guide to paint and they turned out great (to the extent that they are done). It's pretty foolproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Anything that would act like real cloth at that scale would be too flimsy and delicate to work with, and any actual cloth will be too stiff and rough. Even Star Wars action figures with capes looked really silly, and they're at a much larger scale than most miniatures.

• Locked thread