Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pagan, go here and watch this dude's videos. You'll probably want to mute the lovely music but dude is a good painter. These are probably the best "how to paint" videos I've seen. Well-shot, well-lit, dude def knows what he's doing.

Edit for ownage pic:

removed dead image link

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Posting a whole army shot, because dammit I want to. My camera sucks rear end, but oh well.

removed dead image link

Also gloss/dullcote owns. I just dropped a metal nob on tile floor, broke the bosspole off. Not a scratch on the paint though.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 3, 2015

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Washes are one of the best things GW has ever produced c/d?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grandpa Pap posted:

They made painting 30-odd Crimson Fists in the space of just under 3 weeks possible! :v:

Seriously, once my CF test model got heavily washed with Asurmen Blue (after shade/basecoat/highlight), it pulled the look together so completely that my motivation for painting was off the charts during that time. :c00l:

Washes are the only reason I've gotten my orks painted. Knarloc Green + Badab Black owns. Makes for a different kind of shade than most people's orks but I'm cool with that.

Arlaharen: That is seriously cool. I was going to say something about shading/highlighting, but I think what you did is just being washed out in the pic.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shallow posted:

Can't remember if I posted this on SA since I finished the commander...

And I'm reasonably sure I only posted these on EOW too.

Gratuitous army shot

drat I love your orks.

For actual useful content, here's a nice link if anyone wants to make scaled cloaks or armor. It actually involves using a hex key, which I thought was pretty inventive. It's from B&C, but this just proves that sometimes they're actually useful.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are there any full true-scale armies out there? Done right, it looks great, but it's way too impractical for doing more than a squad or so.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Buddy of mine gave me a free set of TH/SS so I've been magnetizing a set of shooty terminators I stripped a few weeks ago. Been planning to use them in next week's campaign game. Turns out he neglected to give me the arms for the shields. Thought I'd be poo poo out of luck since who the hell is gonna sell/trade just the arms to a storm shield? Turns out the new Space Wolf terminator box comes with a few arms with different weapon options, and said arm also fits the weird tab thing on vanilla storm shields. AND my usual ebay guy even had a bunch in stock.

Really what I'm trying to say is I take back all the poo poo I've talked on Space Wolves because the new box just saved my rear end.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Micron Pens are pretty great. My handwriting is too lovely even with them, so I have MY WIFE do it on the rare occasion I need a banner or something done. You should apply some gloss varnish to whatever you want to write on with the pen. Otherwise it'll ruin the paint.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

removed dead image link

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Further proof that Nurgle is the best chaos.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

I dont know what that is but its the best picture in this whole thread

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used to be all about gesso but honestly it really does suck, especially for anything with large flat surfaces. It also dries with a weird texture that sometimes shows through paint jobs. I'd rather wait for a decent day outside to spray prime then deal with gesso anymore.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are those water effects on the base or painted?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

!amicable posted:

They are used in chem labs to stir flasks. You pop one in a flask then place the flask on top of a pad that has a whirring magnet in it and it does the stirring for you.

:science:

Paging Fix, Fix where the hell are you.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I picked up two boxes of lootas and a mek with KFF today, maybe I'll actually get some stuff done next month woot.

Anyone here assembled lootas before? I'm wondering how annoying it would be to magnetize them to use as burnas also.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I kinda figured they'd be a pain in the rear end. Didn't know about the hoses though. Oh well I was only really interested in lootas anyway.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lootas are the epitome of ork conversion silliness. Slap 3 or 4 random guns together, add some gubbins, done.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Electricfan posted:

i enjoy action shots

needless to say a single character defeats all these tyranids

an idea inspired by someone else!

a new color scheme for my dudes

and here's a question!

i'm debating weather or not i should bother stripping my unfinished minis before putting on this horrible new dark coat. can you tell which one is the model i stripped and re-primed from the one i just painted over??
the left one was stripped

Close thread, we've peaked. It's all downhill from here.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's pretty bad, sorry to say. We all have neat ideas that don't quite execute, from time to time.

(Insert pic of my lovely loota conversions I did the other day, and promptly dismantled the next day.)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Seeing non warham stuff in here owns.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I might have a bunch spare- I'll check later.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

I might have a bunch spare- I'll check later.

I finally remembered to check. I thought I had some from the random box o' warhams I bought awhile back. Technically I do, but they're part of 3 complete Berserker sprues from the last edition of the box. Since I'll eventually be selling them I can't part out the axes, sorry.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Woot

removed dead image link

I actually did edge highlights but they're pretty subtle and the lighting washes them out. The shinguard in the 2nd pic shows it reasonably well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Attn dudes who posted models which I rudely ignored while posting mine: Glad to see other people posting, especially orks. And that Nurgle whateverthefuck dude is pretty crazy, in a good way.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Testors actually makes a pretty decent plastic glue with one of those fine detail applicators. I have one and use it regularly. I wish it dried a little quicker, but that's true for all plastic glues I gess. It even comes with little metal doohickeys to clean out a clogged nozzle. This, like Glosscote and Dullcote, is one of the few actually good Testors products.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Magnetize them and make tiles from sheet magnets. Then you can play Fridge Hulk.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's the diameter on those bases? I'm sure there's an appropriately sized rare-earth magnet you could buy to fit underneath.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CyberLord XP posted:

Reposting these from the Warhammer thread. Tell me how to paint better orks cause I got lots more to do.

Washes are your friend if you have lots of orks. Also paint the basing material (super easy drybrushing basically) and it will look 10x better. Other than that, these look pretty pimp. (Deffskullz are the best orks, natch.)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They make lots of colors because most warhams (me for instance) know nothing about art techniques, color theory, mixing paints, or pretty much anything like that.

Sometimes I mix one shade of a color with an even lighter shade to do halfassed highlights, but that's about it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You don't count, Mr. fancy-paints trained artist

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any chance of pics Fix?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's what I get for skimming the post, my bad.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are there any pin vises out there that will hold a 1/8" bit? I currently have to just use my hand. Tonight in the process of drilling magnet holes for another set of assault terminators, I managed to not only put a huge blister on my index finger, but burst it as well. I'm sure it will feel lovely when I go kayaking tomorrow, too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

With how strong some of these magnets are, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't move. I'd actually be a little more worried of the bases staying stuck to the toolbox and breaking the mini as you try and remove it.

I was going to say I'd worry about magnets breaking free from the glue, leaving the minis to fall, but yeah this is possible especially if one doesn't move minis by the base like they should. (I do this all the time.)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rare earth magnets own.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ok I've got a big backlog of stuff to paint over xmas break and I can't really decide what I want to do. So I'll be a typical goon and let internet strangers decide.

Should I paint:

a) 9 lootas + KFF mek
b) looted wagon converted from basilisk
c) magnetized predator/razorback/rhino
d) 10 TH/SS terminators + swappable bits for 5 shooty terms
e) ironclad dread
f) bike squad + attack bike

I'd like to get through at least two of these choices before january but seeing as I have a dissertation to work on I won't exactly being swimming in free time for warhammery.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

You do know that's the end of some dudes finger between those magnets, right?

Why do you think I posted it?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bobx66 posted:

Gotta agree here. It is pretty easy to go over the top with basing.

Agreed here, too.

Anyone else care to give an opinion on my painting plans? Otherwise looted wagon it is. (Way to circumvent democracy PV :argh:)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't have any grot models suitable for going inside the barrel, unfortunately. But I do have grots on it:

removed dead image link

I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the gun dude on the platform. Also the model's since been primed, and I forgot how awful that thing was. Two days soaking in stripper and still paint all over the place. Goddamn, random craigslist dude.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When you were talking about the caution stripes, I thought you meant something like this, which is how I've always seen it done in the past:

removed dead image link

Honestly the stripes on the ramp itself look kind of wonky to me, even though that's where they would make the most sense.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 3, 2015

• Locked thread