Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

So am I right in inferring that truescaling is modifying the SM's to look more normally proportioned and not so chibi? That always bugged me a little but I wasn't sure if it was just the beefy armor confusing me.

ninja edit: Just wanted to mention that this thread is all the fun I wanted from a miniatures thread as someone who isn't into miniatures (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

You can almost hear them festering. Great work on making them totally disgusting!

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

What is it about googly-eyed tyranids that is so hilarious? I can't stop laughing at these, and I couldn't stop laughing at the old ones either.

The one in the middle of the blue ones with his tongue hanging out is the worst, the very definition of 'side-splitting.'

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

edit: ^^^ thirding I guess

Seconding PV, if you keep the blinders the same scheme as the rest of the horse armor I think it will be fine. Especially if you keep the borders tight and cohesive.

PV's commissioned plague marines have the nurgle spores in a decidedly biological-looking color that deliberately contrasts the rest of the armor, plus they have incongruent borders that show that they burst out through the armor as opposed to being built as part of it.

If you do end up crafting blinders, I've only ever seen them as basic rectangles:

I mean, there's a slight bevel and curve to the ones in that image, but a straight up rectangle would look fine imho.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Bistromatic posted:

Theres a stuff called The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver, it's some special kind soap and will easily get any paint out. I could go into a full-blown advertising rant about how amazing this stuff is, even if your brush is totally crusted with paint you cant get it out with a bit of work.

I can vouch for how amazing this stuff is. It cuts through acrylics, tempura, and even oils; making your brush like new (the advertisement isn't a lie).

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

!amicable posted:

I think you mean tempra. Unless you have been using your brushes for deep frying.
Actually, I meant tempera! I haven't used my brushes for deep frying in like, years, odd slip that one.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah I think that's the route I might go,but I'll probably try one more idea and give the pig a couple wheels on the back of him, like those "wheelchairs" for dogs and stuff with paralyzed hind legs.
Reminds me of this guy:

The pinky demon from Doom, in this case the movie. Not really orky tho...

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Actually, that brings up something I've been wondering about off and on. I was trained in my art classes to always mix up the colors you needed when painting, that's the point of having the palette. I.e. for oils I used red, white, black, blue, yellow, and little else; learning to make the colors I wanted. I noticed they've got a billion different colors for miniatures painting.

I guess my question is, how often do you guys mix to get the colors you want and is it effective to do so?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

After I posted I realized the consistency answer. It's near impossible to get the same color after the fact, especially since your source might have changed a little from drying. So it's only useful with a one-off piece you don't intend to add to later.

Also, der, all the postings about color mix recipes so it's written down if/when you do mix.

As far as actual color theory goes, make no mistake I'm not claiming to be an expert. If you guys are interested though I can share in brief a few of the rules of thumb I learned that might carry over well to 3d painting.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Fix posted:

Hey PV:

Here is an article on photographing minis using normal (non SLR) digital cameras that in my opinion is OP worthy.
That is an excellent article, and should be read by anyone looking to improve their pictures with standard digital cameras.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Is that another dude on the back?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Chainrulers

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Think of it as the hip is the knee and the top joint is the heel, and the rest are toes. Like the bottom part of a horses leg.

Still, probably wouldn't work so well in real life.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Isn't that a minivan from the board game Life?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

lighttigersoul posted:

Only four holes, not six, cause that was my first thought. Maybe Life JR?
It looks like the bottom two holes have been filled in.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Can anyone refresh my memory about where a couple miniatures came from? The first is the set that has the evil care bear someone painted here, PV posted a picture of it in the OP. The second is the steampunk-ish set, the figures tend to be slim with not too many fancy bits like armor but I recall one of them having a rifle with a flexible hose that went to a backpack... or somesuch.

I'm googling and browsing back through the thread but if someone knows what I'm talking about I'd really appreciate it.

edit:

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Found the steampunk set. http://www.smog1888.com/

edit: VVVV Thanks!

landis fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 6, 2010

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

PierreTheMime posted:

Ugh, I'm failing at the internet right now. Could someone post that god-awful picture of one of the live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles faces that I see on SA from time to time? It's the perfect response to this and for the life of me I cannot find it.
Something like this?

Try adding Jim Henson to your search terms.

I liked those movies...

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

What is up with that sword? Why would you hold it behind you and stick it between your legs? Is the model fixing to raise it up in a phallic and location-appropriate salute?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Fix posted:

I've got a leather punch from years ago, but it got dropped some time back and a few of the different punches on it are dented so it can't make perfect circles in those sizes. Unfortunate, since those are the sizes that look most useful.

I've always wondered if you could just feed these things designs, because I know one particularly popular brand uses pre-designed shapes on cartridges. If I could just plug this thing into a PC and feed it plasticard, well that would change everything.
Cricut is the one that makes you buy cartridges, last I checked the Craft Robo lets you make your own designs.

Cricut is a piece of junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

I thought you guys might like to see some of these if you haven't already. I know it's on a completely different scale, but what would it take to make something like that?

Has anyone ever done any filming with tabletop miniatures? Seems like a bunch of the ones I've seen in this thread are as good or better than the ones in the link, at least as far as detail goes.

landis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 4, 2010

• Locked thread