Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I got this cool sniper guy but am having a little issue. He comes in three parts; base, legs, torso - should I paint the figure and base separately, or assemble and paint? There are details on the base that look like will be lost if I put the whole thing together first.

Problem is I want him to look like he is a bit camouflaged with the base, so my initial thought is to assemble first. Advice, you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I like that last one, Mr Loose. But I don't think it needs the "heat shield" shell part. The thought of this thing landing, taking a squat and crapping out nasty bugs pleases me.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
What do y'all think about "limited edition" models?

Back in the Rackham metal days I used to hate that there were miniatures that I probably couldn't get my hands on due to limited numbers, but now that I've been able to get a few, I am a little scared.

Do I paint these things up? Do I leave them in original packaging? What if I do paint them up and they look like rear end? Will the other 299 people who own the same piece laugh at me?

I know it comes down to "do what you want: it's your mini!" but I guess I just want to hear thoughts on this.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I will paint these things up. I will fear no nerds!

"I dislike not being able to get a super cool miniature because it was only sold at event X or on day Y"

- I have bought mini's in the past that were a little pricey because they were exclusive ones, only to have the same ones released a little later on at regular price :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hey Hell Diver, is this the guy you're looking for?

I have him (opened blister, but hasn't been started at all. He came with basic backpack, though), but I don't really need him. You play Wolves and they look classy. This guy needs a good home. I'm in Australia, but you should pm me.

(just checked him again, my guy only has a bolter pistol with a sight on it too - maybe there were variants on this fellow!)

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 11, 2010

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Green could look really good. I still love the silver ones though.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hey alcyon,

Did you get that kit from ebay or a for-reals store? I've been looking at that figure for a little while, and the others - It's from Maschinen Krieger, right?

You're paint job is fantastic so far

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure I've seen some tutorials where a wire frame armiture (made out of a paperclip or whatever) is used, so it should be fine.

Yeah, here ya go!

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/sculpting.htm

http://40kmaunderings.blogspot.com/2009/08/sculpting-201-pinning-armature-and.html

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 6, 2010

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Dang, that is some nice work. I wish I had something that looked like that after an hour and a half.

I've got some slow medium, I should really try it out one of these days. Loks like it'd be fun.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Wow, the Black Panther Assassin is just a furry version of Aenur (the Mordheim White Dwarf free mini).

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=370

I guess emulating an already posed mini is a good way to practice, but it seems a little silly selling the thing if it is nearly a mirror image (I know there are heaps of copying within the companies - but it was the first image I saw on the page)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Wow, that is a pretty looking marine - He looks almost like a cartoon character, and the bolter and chest eagle really pop.

Question: What would be the best way to mail an assembled/painted miniature? I have never sent a complete model before and now I am looking at sending a finished piece to the other side of the world. Anyone had experience with this?

I figure I have a lot of the little hard foam pieces from blister packs, I could construct a littel box for the man from them- maybe fill the empty space with cotton wool - but that might leave pieces all up on him.

Tell me your secrets!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
That's some good advice, PV - man, packing the things is almost as detailed an operation as painting the damned things. At least I'm sending a fairly basic model without too many pieces pinned - that would probably make my heart explode in fear.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oooh they look purdy

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Benjamin Black posted:

Well, there's not really a thread about pre-painted minis, and I figure some people who paint minis would at the very least be opinionated about the pre-done stuff.

Oho! But there is! Our nerd hobbies are scattered throughout these forums. Get ye to Batman's Shameful Secret:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3262557

It's mostly about heroclix, but those guys should know what's what.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

S.J. posted:

I found a cool thing

over here http://nomadpainter.blogspot.com/

These look fantastic. I'd also like to think they are friends and go on adventures together. Bearman, Dragonman and Fireman. Friends to the end!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Would it be worth it for the Aussies to do a group order, then split it when it arrives down here? I guess it would depend on how much it would cost to then have parts of it shipped to their final destinations.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
That's one hell of an anus.

Hey Bullet Proof did you get knight from the Pegaso website, or did you buy it locally? I'd love to get some of their stuff, but I am afraid of the cost to send that much metal down here :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Good lord. I can kind of see why it's limited edition.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
How about the ladies from Red Box?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/red-box-games/ingrior-of-aelfheim-swordmaiden.html

And if you want more of a warrior-nun feel:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/red-box-games/christia-the-chaste.html

I like them - you can tell they are ladies, but they are not too over the top compared to some other companies

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Wanted to share these with you guys...

My custom commander for my Imperial Fists army (a counts-as Vulkan He'Stan):

And my chapter's Librarian:

Both were painted by Matt Susalka, who did a beautiful job with these two pieces (as he does with all of his stuff, really). The NMM on that red sword is incredible IRL. Really fantastic work.

He used Paint Vagrant's recipe for Imperial Fists yellow, which is the best recipe I've seen for that chapter to date.

Let me know what you guys think!

Those guys are sweet as. That yellow is the bee's knees. What was used for the packpack? And your Librarian kind of looks like Don Cheadle, and that's all right with me.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yes! Scribor Spartan torso. Librarian Don will win many battles.

Those Hunters own, HD - I love the Beakies' orange beak :)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yessssss Aberration!

All those toys are looking mighty fine - can't wait to see the Prime get some paint

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

pw pw pw posted:

Found this beauty on Advanced Tau Tactica

This little dude looks like he should be Disney's "The Black Hole"

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, don't touch that face at all. He's got an awesome resigned look about him. "Welp, here I am at the edge of space taking care of business. Again."

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
This is going to be a handsome army.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Troll with a gun, eh?

I give you; Smartly dressed Ogre with a cannon!

And nice work on your Trolls, KingMob

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have learnt something new today. Thanks Bee!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Display bases are cool. But what about a smaller circular base for each foot(For on the table play)? I have no idea how big each one is - dreadnaught-base size?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
You know, in your heart, you want to do it Tron style with neon purple lines.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bullet Proof posted:

Confrontation is back!

Hoping they don't stay limited release

Best news I've heard all day!
I need to get out more :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Skarsnik posted:

I've never had a massive problem with purity seal, I just make sure I shake the hell out of it, and try to warm up the can as much as possible before spraying (inside too :350:)

However my can is about to run out, so recommendations for a replacement I can get easily in the UK?

also whilst I'm posting, a slightly rubbish phone pic of a Furioso I've been working on the last few days:

These highlights are boss.

Goddamn this page has some pretty figures on it (can we get a few more pics of that vom-marine?)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sole.Sushi posted:

What were you looking to see? They'd have to be crappy cell-phone pictures, but I can certainly get different angles.

Maybe from the front and the other side? That would be awesome.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
What kind of paints are you using? Are they shaken properly? I know with a lot of my vallejo, if I don't shake until my arm is numb I have problems with consistency. But maybe just thin until it is nice and runny, and see what kind of results you get. I haven't used Future, so I could not say about that :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Fix goddamn. That is an impressive looking lot.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
The last few pages have been boss as gently caress, and now that I have had a few little mans arrive in the post, I have to see what I can do.

And those Infinity guys look like the missing link between Kroot and Tau.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh, we get Simple Green here too? That's awesome. How is the smell compared to Detol? I cleaned some sisters a while back and they still smell like a hospital :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback about my burnout. It's not that I don't want to paint, but the amount I churned out in so little time and the subject I've been painting. I definitely reorganized my space fairly recently, but it could definitely improve. I am working on some IG, actually and have been doing commissions for a friend that doesn't really give a time table for when he wants the fig back. I actually need to get cracking on that one. The last fig he gave me was REALLY fun to paint and brought me back a bit. Another suggestion was to not really stick to a schedule for when to get things done. Ideally I'd like to get my Guard done by November for a tournament, but that is becoming less and less likely because I would have to rush them a bit.

I'm rambling so I will end by saying thank you everyone, again, for your help.

Another suggestion maybe - how about just picking up a figure from another company that is not for any reason but for how it looks? Sounds you like you want to paint for paintings' sake, and that might be the ticket. (has anyone said this yet? I have no idea :( )

And those Marines and the Malifaux stuff on this page looks sweet as. I got myself Rasputina, and I hope she turns out as nice. The bases are custom, or did you get them online?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Dope as hell - the clanra and the genestealer. Loving the green tongue.

And the Chaos Termie - the smaller picture is the best one. The work she's done on the coat is pretty great. I am real jealous that I still struggle to get highlights like that :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Flipswitch posted:

Just a WIP I mentioned last night as I finally got a photograph going.

One of my first models and I think it's coming along nicely, I need to highlight it some more on the armour I feel, has anyone got any tips on where I can go from here too?

This is looking really good - nice and clean. Maybe try to smooth out the highlights on the shoulders a little with a bit of a wash? Although I like it as is :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Don't sell it!

I got myself some of that Finecast thingies, and I got some q's for dudes who have painted them up already.

Undercoat, yes or no?
Filling in tiny bubbles - use superglue?

I think there was some talk on it when they first appeared, but now that they have been out a little while, I'd like to hear from some who have had a play with them :)

• Locked thread