Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My tank is shite !

I'd recommend practicing on a smaller tank if you haven't already done some massive conversion-work before. GW puts up sexy pictures of converted baneblades to lure gamers into ruining $100 tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Angryboot posted:

Having never painted minis before I think I'm finally beginning to figure out this shading/highlighting/blending business:

Those look really good, especially considering that black the hardest color to get highlights right on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Made some progress on baby tanks:

Yes, they're Epic baneblades. I'm going for an Alpha Legion list, which also incorporates traitor guard. I didnt' want to go 100% CHAOS! for the guard, so I can retask them to loyal forces - but I did want them to have a grimy Rogue Trader feel.

Hopefully I can get some more units done this weekend, and a little more detail on these guys. I'm having poo poo luck figuring out Alpha Legion's vehicles and symbols though. :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Did you use a salt mask for the chipping on the ramp? It looks super good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

OSL looks completely badass in 2D photos but is only about 60% as impressive in real life.

In person, typically OSL looks like the model looks more like its got tasty icing on it than that it's actually emitting light. I think it has something to do with your brain processing 2D images by wanting them to be in 3D and filling in the blanks.

Still, the photos are neat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did these a while ago, but I don't think I ever bothered with photos. It's my Mordheim Warband:

Vampire! Necromancer!

Ghouls!

A hideous dire wolf! (That awful gap isn't nearly as obvious in real life without the flash.)

Zombies!

Bikini dregs!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Didn't GW actually buy Dragon? I remember hearing about that once and then never heard anything about it again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

crime fighting hog posted:

krylon flat black 4 lyfe

If you can find it, the 'special purpose ultra-flat' (for camouflage-painting your hunting bow) is a little better still. (Though the new spray head on the standard flat kicks rear end.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The new head throws a vertical line of paint instead of a circle. It's weird at first but is pretty awesome.

The ultra-flat seems to take paint a little better, but that could just be my take on it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was also busy in this tiny mans weekend:

:drac:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is Daft Punk as gently caress, but a baffling flag choice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Red is a complete pain to highlight. I've had luck building it up to pink and then red inking over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I finally started sculpting work on my Greeks.

The unit looks a bit sparse because only half are placed so far. I'm only going three-deep, but it'll be a total of 18 guys/unit. Besides giving the phalanx oven-mitts, I converted one into a commander:

They're 10mm, which is quickly becoming my favorite scale ever. The pikes are paperclips, and the general's base is a US nickel.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shamelessly stole the white -> green wash -> purple wash from earlier in this thread. Pretty happy with how my for my ethereal host came out:

The official models look like poo poo. Empire dudes are so much better in spooky potty green.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can always make your own cogs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Cool, but a bit anorexic.

That's what overexposure to GW gets you. It's well proportioned, maybe a little too broad shouldered.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Don't bother freehanding SM logos unless you're only doing one squad or you do that poo poo professionally.

I picked up the Testor's decal system, which basically lets you print your own decals onto special paper. I haven't been able to try it out yet (I'm doing Relictors) because you need an ink jet printer and I haven't dug mine out of storage.

I'm pretty sure you can get away with just buying the special paper and using future clear acrylic.

Still, it's only :10bux:. I anticipate having to do some touch-up work, but it's better than trying to freehand logos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

bhsman posted:

Reaper miniatures seem like just cheap way to have a variety of models to practice on.

Reaper is capable of great stuff, but unfortunately a lot Reaper is just a step or two above CMGs like Dreamblade or the plastic D&D line.

That pathfinder dragon looks awesome, though. I may need to pick that up. And this:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Remember back when GW came out with the FB Siege supplement and there were all sorts of articles on how to make your generic castle look more appropriate for specific armies?

Does anybody have a link to the article on making it look more Vampire Countsy?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

bhsman posted:

Make the place look spooky.

True, and that would ordinarly be enough, but I'm looking for that specific article that showed how they built-up wall sections and gothic'd the poo poo out of the studio VC castle.

I'd like to do that same style for some Warmaster terrain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

bhsman posted:

So apparently some company is making these:

Is this Ex-Illis stuff? The minis looked awesome (and proportionate for a change) but the game has worse DRM than iTunes.

I am not joking. Here's a link to the forums thread where people want to know when they'll be able to trade models with their friends.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sole.Sushi posted:

too small for an ork

The answer to this is adding an ork with a remote control.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

White, then yellow basecoat.
Pencil even lines where you want the black stripes to go (or just do them one brush-width thick).
Wash everything chestnut or brown.
Drybrush grey.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Since the topic is on orange and blue now, I figure this is the perfect time to ask this. My girlfriend is painting my AOBR Orcs and she decided to do the skin in ice blue so they'd be different. Plus, pink just looked lovely. What colors do you think she should do the armor in to really make it pop?

I vaguely remember something about the Bad Moons painting themselves blue for luck - if you went with a blue face, (mostly) yellow armor, and greenskin everywhere else that could look good and still remain within 40k canon.

And it's not all happy stops on the orange blue train.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fyrbrand posted:

Good idea, bad idea?
Those other heads had better end up on Inquisitor-scale Iron Warriors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Eyespy posted:

A green cardboard lightning bolt on the side? Yes, that fits my 80's Trapper-Keeper theme.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So I got some Mantic Elves off eBay for cheap, and I'm wondering why they aren't more popular. They're true-scale, cheap, and look great. They look way too small for Warhammer alt-figs, and they've only just now come out with their own game - is that why I've never seen them anywhere?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats a loving incredible paintjob

Too good, I think. Remember when John Blanche's Femme Militant line catalog was done with 'digital painting' (using photoshop to colorize b&w images of the figures) and then look at the graphic arts that went into that image's background and layout.

Also you can see the 'brushstrokes' on the left part of his skirt.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you swap the heavy bolter and the comms array, it would look a lot more like the unrelated photo. (And move the headlights to the other fenders I guess, and put some windows in, and rotate the turret to face the new front.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does 40k have an actual scale associated with it? I've heard it's ostensibly 28mm, but that's laughably wrong.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Really it comes down to "Will this bug me forever?"

But after substantial highlighting, weathering, and distressing you may not even notice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Grandpa Pap posted:

I can't tell if I like or dislike Photoshop's contribution to this, but it's something that may be worth exploring.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

Found the guy's project blog:
http://musingsofametalmind.blogspot.com/search/label/Tyracrons

I really don't know what to make Steampunk Tyranids. The surprise Star Wars entry is also quite baffling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can someone point me at a good reference site for late British WWII uniforms? Preferably something with Citadel or Vallejo (or FolkArt) names. It's like they took a road-trip from "dark brown" to "off-white" and hit every stop along the way.

I tried mixing and guessing based on some source photos, but I'm sure the heavy lifting's already been done. Also, I'd like to show off this turd-polishing:

e: Found this at FoW, but they look a lot more brown than khaki - Are they just pushing their English Uniform color?

moths fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 19, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Strip it, eBay the parts you didn't chop, and buy five VC Zombie Dragons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sorry to hear it, the Imperial Dragon is one of the more iconic models from when Citadel/GW was a lot less restrained in their designs.

If you're not going to tournaments or anything, you can go off-reservation and get something like RAFM's Necrodrake for about $35 and putty some flesh and scales onto it. Or watch eBay for a terribly painted HE Dragon - they're plastic and much easier to work with.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What's up with the Mantic dark elves? Did they release more than that one awful photo?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It'll be a while before I finish this, but holy poo poo do I love goofy Realms of Chaos era Chaos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Glad you dig it! It's one of the original Blood Thirster heads, which are infinitely cooler than the lovely ones he has now. I have the giga-kaiser helmet one too, but I like my baby 'thirster too much to tear him apart.

Also trying to fix the terrible pose. I'm not sold on this yet, but I like it more than the horrible non-action pose GW always sticks him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The warp portal wasn't a terrible idea, but maybe the execution could use a little more work. Try cutting it along cleavage lines that aren't how the model is assembled. There was a guy who did cool WHFB spectral hosts flying through rocks and trees a while back, (I think they were based on goblin wolf-riders) maybe someone here has the photos for reference.

• Locked thread