Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I finally got myself to work on this guy a few days ago (before catching a cold), he's currently missing a backpack with ammo, extra barrels and stuff.

All the little white parts (meant to be motors and a camera) are self made.
If you put a bit of styrene rod in you Dremel and then lightly hold a cutter against it you have the tiniest lathe, i've really come to enjoy that technique for tiny detail stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Eh, i should have probably mentioned it but this is Guerilla, leader of the Ape Revolution Committee, a group of genetically modified, communist ape and monkeys.
He's from Pulp City a super-hero skirmish game that i've been meaning to make a thread about for a while now.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Meatslam posted:

Holy poo poo pulp city models rule.

I've been wanting to get some for a while now, and wanted to know how their shipping was.

Also how is the casting quality?

I have so many questions :ohdear:

Their shipping is reasonably fast but relatively high. I usually order together with a friend and if i remember correctly it's 7€ from Poland to Germany, split between the two of us, it's quite reasonable again.

Casting quality is generally pretty good, details are crisp, mold lines are light.
Personally i'd put them at about the same level as newer Privateer Privateer Press stuff.

The only thing that ever had casting issues from all the stuff i bought was Guerillas minigun, the details were kinda soft. I never asked for a replacement because that machine gun was just a perfect fit and i'd likely have done it anyway but based on my experiences with Pulp Monsters so far i'm 100% sure they'd have sent me one without trouble. (The packaging for the box sets is really nice but for one of our orders it wasn't ready in time so they sent us the minis in ziplocks and then shipped us the boxes with a promo mini and an apology afterwards)

I also made a thread about Pulp City but it's mostly dead already, so feel free to ask any questions there.

Edit:
Bonus (not very good) pictures of our demo table and teams:

The villains on the right are mine and at least the lovely photos hide that they were painted quite hastily.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 21, 2009

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Theres a stuff called The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver, it's some special kind soap and will easily get any paint out. I could go into a full-blown advertising rant about how amazing this stuff is, even if your brush is totally crusted with paint you cant get it out with a bit of work.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Vallejo Sepia ink is pretty awesome too, mixed with a bit of black it goes on pretty much everything metal i do.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Awww, he's catching snowflakes/terrible spores with his tongue.

And i really like that colour for the warpstone stuff, PV.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I made a barrel today :downs:

I finally built a spray booth so i can use my airbrush indoors, first test was this barrel, also gave me a good chance to try out salt-masking.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Indolent Bastard posted:

seconding the request for a tutorial of these.

Also Airbrush Goons. Do you have any fancy airbrush gubbins as part of your set up? Specifically a filter or dryer that is fitted in the line between your compressor and your airbrush? I have seen both of these at my local hardware store but as they are mostly geared for 'industrial' use I don't know if any of their stuff is needed or wanted for airbrushing.

I've got the compressor and an airbrush, now I just need the time and nerve to get on with using it.

I'll probably do a few more barrels tomorrow, i'll try to take some pics then.

The fanciest part of my setup is probably the bigass industrial compressor i got from my father, for all i know it's about 50 years old now and it still runs without a hitch, don't know if it has any filters or driers but i wouldn't rule it out v:shobon:v. Also i can see using some moisture reducing gimmick when you're using laquer paints but with acrylics what's the point? They're full of water anyway.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Oh my, i completely forgot that i was supposed to take pictures today.
I enough stuff left so there'll be be chances to do that.

In the meantime i'll refer you to these:
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/tips-techniques/
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31535
both contain info about salt masking,the latter starting at page three

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Here's a mostly finished demo table a friend and i will be presenting on a local con this weekend, as usual everything was done at the last possible moment so no real wip shots. As of that pic i's mostly finished with just a few details and touch-ups to do.

Bigger shot here:
Click here for the full 2048x1216 image.

It has light effects and the smokestack smokes, we hope to get some good pics or maybe even a vid during the weekend.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yes, should have mentioned that, it's for Pulp City.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Why would you start with silver?

My favorite way of doing bronze is:
Vallejo Bronze
Wash with mix of Vallejo Sepia Ink and Black
highlight with Bronze
highlight with Bronze + (a bright) Silver

the black + Sepia wash is also my all-purpose metal wash

Stock photo of my Leviathan, because that was one of the few times i bothered to do a decent light setup.

Edit: I remember promising more pictures of our Pulp City table, unfortunately i forgot to take my camera to the convention :saddowns:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Felt like posting something so here's a marine i'm working on to test stuff.

I've discovered a colour i really like, a vibrant turquoise/blue a bit like those eldar posted. It's P3 Meridius Blue then P3 Arcane Blue and finally Arcane Blue mixed with Vallejo Ice Yellow. I did the armour via airbrush and the arcane blue is a bit too widespread so i'll have to pick out the shadows by hand and also to some edge highlighting for better definition. On the upside, rust effects should contrast really well against this stuff.

The base was done using three colours of woodland Fine Turf like in that tutorial, i think it turned out quite nice so far.

Edit> The banners remind me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XCpcm_7vw more than anything else.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 8, 2010

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Speaking of monochrome...

This has probably already been posted at some point or other but it's an awesome table. Sadly i can't find any better pictures of it right now but it looks amazing in person and it's awesome to play on.

And i'd be willing to attribute the hue differences on that mini to photography/adjustment/image compression.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I don't really like the way the middle legs are angled but otherwise they're awesome.

Also i really like the yellow on that Iron Warriors Vindicator but 'm never able to get something like it, does anyone have tips on colour selection? (or anything else)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
"If you don Mon-Keigh-coloured armour they will be too confused to shoot you."

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
My test marine is pretty much done now, once it's properly dried and varnished i'll try to do some weathering.
And i swear the blueish colour has more definition to it irl.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

:smug: (it's a small cutting machine)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The really dumb question first:
You are both pushing the trigger down and pulling it pulling it back, right?

If you do pull the trigger back (with or without air) you should see the needle move a bit, if not you might want to tighten the part that holds the needle.

Other than that i'm out if ideas without looking at it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Oh No, My Marine has started to rust :ohdear:

I seriously need to stop spending time on this when i could be working on stuff i could actually play with.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the compliments everyone. (and those i didn't reply to for the wip pics)

PV posted:

I still think you need to do some shading/brownlining to get the areas to seperate more, but the lighting is loving gorgeous
I always do appreciate critique but in this case i didn't like it when i tried it in a small spot and i'm quite happy with how it looks irl.

And since i like it when other people do this and i write it down anyway:

Blue: P3 Meridius Blue -> P3 Arcane Blue -> P3 Arcane Blue with VMC Ice Yellow

Gold Stuff: VMC Red Leather -> P3 Ember Orange -> VMC Ice Yellow; start mixing white before going to pure Ice Yellow

Bolst Pistols: VMC Hull Red -> P3 Skorne Red -> P3 Khador Red Base -> P3 Khador Red Base with a bit of P3 Ember Orange

richy: you should see the needle poking out of the nozzle a bit when closed, does it move when you pull back? (it should)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
On the pigments:
1. Whatever you do, get some of the Fixer as well brush it thinly onto the pigments and they won't rub of easily.

2. The change appearance a lot if you varnish over them, test that out beforehand or apply them after the varnish and fixate them with fixer.

3. The marine i posted earlier was done with sponge dabbing and pigments

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Menoth White base is a dirty white, a bit similar to what you'd get as bone colour in most line, Menoth White Highlight is a warm off-white and Morrow White is pure white.

SkunkDuster: i have no idea about alternatives to the fixer, sorry.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

PaintVagrant posted:

Probably blows them right off the surface, or kills the refractory nature of the color.
The Mig pigments change appearance similar to when they're mixed with liquid, i don't know enough about the theory behind it to say more but varnish (from a can) is definitely not a substitute for the fixer stuff.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah, i'd say call the manufacturer, there shouldn't be anything coming close to that part that could clog it up and if you leave it in solvent for a long time it might gently caress up any seals in there

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I run mine at 2.5 bar which google tells me is slightly above 36 psi.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Fix posted:

I used to feel the same way about table saws and ovens. You get over it.
I really don't fear tools generally and i don't have qualms about putting my dremel spinning at 30k rpm right next to my face, but is still kinda feel uneasy about table saws :ohdear:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I made some space invaders, a guy from pulp city can summon these and the three small ones can combine into the big one. I'm probably going to try and paint them with a faintly glowing grid showing the pixel seperations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

PaintVagrant posted:

gay animes

What did you do to make the Sputniks fit onto the bases? Just bending or cutting and repositioning?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

crime fighting hog posted:

What's everyone's recipe for rust? I just use boltgun with increasing amounts of orange, but I figured someone here knows better without buying some weather powders.

Vallejo has a line called Panzer Aces that includes three very nice rust colours (Dark, Light and Yellowish) otherwise i use Mig Pigments.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I painted a bunch of fire-warriors and had a test game to check out the current edition of 40K, unfortunately i found the rules pretty meh after all the other stuff i've played so i probably won't be getting back into this.

The blue is airbrushed and made the whole thing pretty quick to paint.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I kinda want to see a diorama with a couple of space marine sprues done up like they're armoury racks with a techmarine and a neophyte going through them, picking parts for his outfit.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Behold the terrible power of Magnets!

Yesterday i did a test piece for a transports system i had in mind for a while, i embedded magnets into wood and put some Resopal on top, i plan to eventually make some sort of flightcase with removable magnetic shelves but it'll be a lot of effort so chances are i will put it off a long time or never do it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Crossposting from the oath thread:

The difference between the cloth black and the armour black is pretty subtle but more noticeable irl.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I got a compressor for christmas so i can use my airbrush again (i moved and couldn't take my gently caress-off huge vintage compressor with me) and here's what i did with it:

(click for big)
The Devilfish is the new thing, i'm pretty sure i posted the Firewarriors before but i wanted to show both together.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for all the praise, guys

Gr3y posted:

Did you do everything with the airbrush or just the big flat areas?
All the Blue is done via airbrush, all the yellow on the Devilfish too except for the ring on the cupola hatch and the drones. The rest is plain old brush.

If people want i can post a complete guide for the scheme, it's pretty :effort: but comes out nicely.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I have a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution which i'm pretty satisfied with.

But take a look at this baby. It's a single action airbrush made from plastic, but it sprays quite nicely for what it is and it has interchangeable nozzles. I wouldn't use it for glowing space marine eyes or anything but it's quite nice for basecoats and stuff.

I have one nozzle and tank marked for varnish, so i don't have to clean out stuff as switching between water and laquer based stuff is a pain in the rear end normally and i'm guaranteed to never get any residues into it.

For my Tau scheme i just mix up the three required shades of blue beforehand and then do all the praying in a couple of minutes. Afterwards i can just leave the paint sitting in the tank for later use, i have some of the lightest shade laft from when i did the Devilfish on christmas eve, it's still fine and i'm going to use it again today for a bunch of Fire Warriors (i'll take pics)

So all in all the perfect lazy mans airbrush.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Guide

First a bit of logistics, to handle the minis i use dry wall dowels with the ring tipped in scattergrip. The dowels fit snugly onto the upside down nails in the block of wood so i can handle the entire unit. noth pictured here, the shoulder pads get a similar treatment, little wooden sticks with a glob of scattergrip on top and a piece of wood with holes so i can handle all of them at once. Bonus content: the beginning of a broadside conversion

After the most obvious mold lines have been scraped off, the whole unit is primed black and when that is dry it gets a dusting of white primer from above.

Here's the nozzles with the blues and the insulin syringe i use to transfer paint. They cost me 30 cent in the pharmacy across the street so i use a lot for them to mix small quantities of different things. The needle the largest one they have available but cut down iwth my dremel since i don't need it long and pointy. For airbrushing i usually mix paint and water 50/50.

next is a coat of P3 Meridius Blue

gently caress I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE
the first highlight is P3 Arcane Blue, hold the airbrush somewhere around 45° above the mini and twirl the mini around while spraying.

the second highlight is P3 Arcane Blue mixed with Vallejo Model Colour Ice Yellow, sprayed from straight above the mini. (don't hold your airbrush straight down, tilt the mini)

The blue is done, the rest isn't anything special and i'll probably do it tomorrow (with more pics unless i forget)
The cloth parts get a single heavy coat of Dheneb Stone, then a heavy wash of Badab Black
The yellow parts are basecoated with Iyanden Darksun, two coats should be enough. They then get a layer of P3 Ember Orange, highlighted with P3 Cygnus Yellow and then P3 Sulfuric Yellow. I just feather them into each other without any in-between mixes.
The Panel lines between the colours get traced with a copic multiliner.
The tau symbol on the shoulder pad gets painted white and then i trace over it with a thick marker.

TL/DR and short colour list:
TAU:
Armor: P3 Meridius Blue -> P3 Arcane Blue -> P3 Arcane Blue with VMC Ice Yellow
Yellow: GW Iyanden Darksun; P3 Ember Orange -> P3 Cygnus Yellow -> P3 Sulfuric Yellow
Cloth: GW Dheneb Stone; Badab Black
Skin: VPA Russian Tank Crew 1 -> VPA 338 Highlight German I.(Feldgrau) -> 338 + White
Gray: VPA Russian Tank Crew 1 / VMC German Grey / 50/50
Lenses: dark angel, snot, scorpion
Metal: VGC Chainmail Silver

The Devilfisch was done pretty much the same way, i used Humbrol masking fluid and just painted it carefully along the panel lines. The yellow areas were masked entirely with fuild, the blue ones just got a trim about 2cm wide then i used tape to cover the rest of the surface (so i didn't have to do any detailed work with tape).

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
You don't get instant shading or anything but airbrush layers are thing enough for it to show through a bit generally i find that it modulates the color somewhat and adds a little more depth.

Unless you plan on basecoating the entire figure with sevel layers of foundation paint i'd say go for it, it's only a tiny bit of extra effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

PaintVagrant posted:

Im trying to figure out a way to knock out a bunch of skorne models really fast with my airbrush. I was thinking maybe a zenith effect, but the color I want as the main color (menoth white highlight) is too opaque to cover black well and still show color through. I think it would turn into a greyish mess.

So my other plan is to do a warm cool zenith thing, prime white, then basecoat everything with menoth white highlight, then do a cool grey on the undersides of the models.

Basically I want to do almost all the work with airbrushing, weathering, and washing.

Appreciate the input bistro!

Sounds doable overall but i can't imagine doing the shadows second is going to turn out well, it's not going to get into clothing folds and such. Definitely do a coat of shade first and the MWH from above. And with some shade colour inbetween i'd say give zenith priming (i learned a new word today) a try too.

Gr3y posted:

How small of an area can you do with an Airbrush? Is it just used for large ares for base coating or can you do detail work with it?

A good airbrush can go pretty small, glowing eyes and the like are no problem but keep in mind that you're never going to get hard edges unless you mask them somehow.

• Locked thread