Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
almost as much as i hate painting enchanted blue (looks good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Swags posted:

Nerds.

So I'm going to try to be painting my Retribution guys in sort of an autumn theme. Basic idea is to primer with Duplicolor sandable auto primer Dark Brown and then add splotches of yellow, orange, and red. Or should I primer and then re-base with Umbral Umber?

that depends if you can get an even, complete primer coat and the primer gives you a finish you're happy with. a lot of that depends on the paint but youll also inevitably get bits unsprayed and gray/metal looks bad on a finished model. you'll likely apply a few thin basecoats out of necessity rather than choice in my experience but if you get good primer and its complete and nicely finished why bother :shobon: . may as well experiment since you're going to prime them either way.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

crossposting oath ogre

15 more to finish heh

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

CommissarRed posted:

I really dig these, man. I avoided doing actual flesh tones myself, but you did a bang up job.

thanks :) filthy crossposting my bad photos of finished ironguts

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

went to the art store and got some flowaid and black/sienna ink for making softbody black and flesh washes, also picked up a pot of agrax earthshade since i was wary of not getting a substitute right, also the only translucent burnt umber acrylic ink available in this place was like $15 so gently caress that.

also, these

plastic pipettes at just over a buck for a pack of 5, now i can keep my fliptop bottles and still precisely drop out paint and wash mixes :smugdog:

edit: also having assembled this ogre battalion i'm still left with a ton of bitz, im guessing it wouldn't be uncommon to buy a box of 6 bulls and use these leftovers to build another 3 ironguts rather than buy a 'guts box which only has 4 dudes in it? That should also leave me one bull (to add to the existing 6 with a firebelly for a 4x2 unit perhaps) and two bodies to convert into a butcher and a bruiser, tons of little gnoblars and pouches and cleavers and bits of meat from the battalion sprues practically begs to slapped onto a character conversion

Yog-Sothoth fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2012

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

crosspostin' completed leadbelchers!

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

find a shade colour you like, get it in acrylic ink and mix your own wash :D i started doing this last night with a badab black substitute, first batch is thicker and has a higher dry time but is significantly.. um.. contract-ier when it dries than gw washes, pulling off raised surfaces and really settling into the cracks. Absolute magic for wash (less so for colour glazing but i already use paint thinned right down with medium for that, washes still end up splotchy on flat areas). You can play with the properties of your washes as you like by varying the ratios of ink:medium:flowaid:water

got the recipe from awesomepaintjob and started out making a big bottle of their wash base (50% medium, 50% 10:1 mix of water and flowaid), then dripping the ink into empty GW wash pots (0.4 floz and the example pictures/ink amounts are for 1oz bottles so adjust accordingly) and filling up with wash base. shake WELL before every use!

http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/index.cfm/resources.recipes

also note that in my region i couldn't find "flow aid" anywhere locally, but the same product is sold under a number of lines as "surface tension breaker" - does what it says on the bottle :)

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

^isn't it in an aerosol can, generally?

crosspost party!

linky for big

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

CommissarRed posted:

Too good to be on the bottom of the last page. AWESOME Ogres, man.

How did you do the bloody hands?

thank you :) it's a thin glaze of a little blood red watered down with a bunch of acrylic medium (not explicitly matte so i think that accounts for why it was a bit shiny but it all evened out when sealed), i ended up doing 2 coats of this i think

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

you can if you do gradual layering but if you intend to do this on every shoulderpad across an army of marines youll probably want to shoot yourself before long, and theres no simple line type highlight that's going to look right, in my experience at least. you can do a thin stroke along the top with a slightly lighter colour but as you said its pretty subtle and its a bunch of extra effort. i usually just prefer to have a strongly contrasting trim colour on the pads and wash the inside edges dark to separate them, looks plenty good on the table.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

primer is meant to be toothier than normal paint but in the case of white primer you still want to do a couple of thin white basecoats. its more apparent with white but generally you dont get an even finish quality coverage out of a primer spray, basecoating is necessary to even everything out even if its the same colour as the primer

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

if your airbrush is clogging your paint is probably not thinned enough. I use gravity feed but even then you want very thinned paint, 9 times out of 10 a clog is insufficiently thinned paint - also you want to thin your paint first, then pour it into the jar, mixing in the jar is a recipe for sucking up those insufficiently dissolved clumps and clogging your airbrush

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

crossposting completed ogre slaughtermaster/bsb

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh gently caress, it's a late-90's Judas Priest cover.

screaming for fenris

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

primed my infinity dudes and :stare: i dont know if its because i just finished painting a ton of ogres or because they aren't 28mm-apeman gw proportions throwing me but these guys are proper tiny. And detailed. real tiny brush for everything here i think. since theres so few of them going to attempt at least a degree of blending on all these similar to the studio scheme. im not yet sure if it will be pleasantly quicker because of the relatively small areas to cover, or a painstakingly slow struggle with tiny detail areas guess we're about to find out :downs:

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

"it changes as i play"

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

always always always mix then pour, mixing in the cup however you go about it is almost certainly going to end with a chunk of unmixed paint causing clogs. especially gravity feds since the paint is more dense than water it's going to fall straight down onto the needle and sink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

I've always been curious why no one uses oil paints with minis. I've done a few oil washes now with great results, but I was wondering about doing the whole mini so I picked up a starter pack of oil colours today and am going to give it a try. Has anyone else tried this?

likely because oils take a very long time to dry, days for touchdry and weeks to months to properly cured ready for sealing. youd be doing thinner applications on miniatures but it's still not really practical unless youre doing washes or lots of blending because your colours are just going to seep together unless you leave it days between layers

• Locked thread