Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
That ork speed-painting scheme that was posted earlier in the thread works like an absolute charm. I'm currently through 18 Bad Moonz and I have 22 (and 2 Nobz) on deck. It's odd how much fun it is to blast through these figures! I still need to go back and do eyes and teeth and a bit of detail, but they look rather good for little time invested.

I've told myself: 100 boyz and I can buy a Stompa.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Da Boyz so far.

Da Boyz on deck.

Space Sharks Tactical that I need to get back to highlighting (but orks are so fun...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Sole.Sushi posted:

I am curious as to what Radiant Platinum looks like, to be honest. Buy that and tell me if it's awesome.

It is and it isn't mithril silver. It's got a gold tinge to it.

I just can't figure out what to do with it; it looks terrible going on top of near everything and I'm not adventurous to figure it out fully. One of the brushthralls tutorials for Everblight uses it for armor and it looks great there but I can't match that.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Top Gear for me. It's been fantastic for binging.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

I grabbed a can of P3 white primer considering it was half the price of the GW stuff. I quite like it, really.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Thought I'd throw my latest project that I'm rushing through so I can get back to Oathed junk:

Buddy needs the team done for the Spike! Tournament this weekend -- these five are essentially done, the rest are at the highlighting stage. Opinions?

edit: durr. I need to turf the bases and add a chalk line on top too.

overthefalls fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 8, 2010

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Goblin skin: Desert yellow + Thraka Green, Desert yellow / gretchin green highlights.

Works like a charm and I'm still amazed at how nice it shades. I don't like dayglo green gobbos which most goblin green and higher ones are.

Also, echoing Skorne Red. Amazing colour.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Orange team: the sequel.

Ready for pickup in the morning. There's more I'd like to do with them, but it's midnight and I work early. All in all, though, I'm happy with them and should be one of the better painted teams at the tournament.

(I still need to work on highlighting.)

Edit: The hell? Tinypic keeps switching the picture around. Changed image.

overthefalls fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 9, 2010

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Remember to keep at least 2 tacklezones on the ball :cheers:

And every downed player for a wellplaced boot. :angel: I set a league record for fouling 14 turns in a game a few seasons ago.

Fixed the picture, and I threw some P3 armor wash on the chainmail before I left for work this morning. Thanks for the kind words on it all!

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

I did no longterm damage, oddly enough. All badly hurts and KOs -- just enough to ensure that the wood elf game was completely neutralized. Journeyman wardancer bit the dust, but it was effectively free. :)

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Combaticus posted:

Please tell me more, the only thing that keeps from loosing all my games is my retarded dice luck

The advice given so far is fantastic.

Additionally: as you've found out, you want to roll as few dice as possible. Dodges and whatnot. Blocks (if you have Block) are reasonably safe, though, to do anytime.

I always say play balls to the wall, though; fortune favors the bold, right? As safe as you make everything, a 6 automatically passes near everything and sometimes it comes down to that.

If there's any specific teams, this can be distilled down as every team plays considerably different.

(For on-topic painting: The new human team is a very, very attractive team and great to paint. The blood bowl ogre is probably my favorite GW fig to paint, too; I've done about 12 of them.)

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Richyp, I love your tutorial. And I'm stoked to have a high elf paint scheme I like.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

True enough. The only reason I'm starting with Sword Masters as they're the only thing I have primed at the moment -- there's still another 10 unprimed metal swordmasters.

And my buddy's ordering two Island of Bloods tomorrow and we're splitting, so add another 20 swordmasters... jesus, what am I gonna do with 45 of them?

Anyways, they work great at starting a rhythm, and they aren't as banal as painting the regular high elf spearmen. They're what made me stop painting high elves before -- thank god they finally have some nice models out!

richyp's tutorial did nothing to help the situation, either, and I mostly emulated it above outside of the obvious magenta switchout, much less talent and going from white primer. I wouldn't *dream* of trying that magenta without white primer.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Bleached Bone - 'Jack Bone

Menoth is more yellow, the bone's a bit more solid and brown. Bleached Bone fits roughly in the middle.

(I love Jack Bone. Fantastic coverage.)

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Ripper Swarm posted:

I finished a squad of nid warriors. Pretty happy with the results, people who said models immediately become 200% better when based were absolutely right!

And an alternate angle:

Just need to find where the sixth one is hiding and I can do a group shot :)

I /really/ like the paint scheme. That orangey yellow works really well for nids! They look great.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

In the spirit of the day, I painted a thing (need him for Gameday next weekend):

With all his friends:

The Orc World Order is taking over.

(I need to find a troll I can do up as orange to finish the team completely.)

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

I'm kind of stalled with a troll for my Bloodbowl team:

I've done a little work since the above. I've added a dark grey and a light grey layer to all of the rock on the body, got some red/orange in the eyes and some pink in the mouth, but I'm running out of ideas as to where to go from here. I'm good up to this point in general and the fine details is where I crap out.

Any suggestions on what to work on? Techniques I should try and sneak in here? Trollytroll's got block now and he's my friend :h: so I'd like to do a good job here.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Camera makes a fool out of us all...

I was testing goblin paintschemes again since I just added... a lot more of them, and idly painted while listening to vids:

Stupid camera is making me feel bad about it now, though; it looks quite sharp in person. Not bad for three hours work, though.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

No real content; just want to show off my last couple weekends' project: Crimson Slaughter:

Sadly running very low on paints, so I'll restart again once I restock. I need to find another P3 vendor in Vancouver.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Definitely not at the level of many around here, but I have a paint scheme for a new dark eldar army:

I don't know what to do with the basing on these guys; I'm debating going the resin bases route, but being indecisive. I rather like the Field of Screams from Secret Weapon, but it may be overkill both on the orange and the number of pumpkins.

Whee. Only took about 90 minutes or less, though, which is a plus!

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Ah, it's nice to paint again.

Put about 8 hours into my mommy buggy and I'm content where it is, considering I had no intention on painting this weekend.

I'm still a terrible photographer so there's far too much light on the picture, but I don't care right now. It's been nearly 3 months since I've painted with any sort of regularity, so it's nice to get back on the horse.

I've also changed my opinion on the GW texture paints. I quite like the base on this; tried them again on a lark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Crosspointing a bunch of tyranids that I've completed recently!

Finished 10 more gaunts last night:

Al 30 gaunts with Mamabuggy:

20 more to go (devourers this time, not fleshborers):

Some biovores I did alongside the first 10:

I need to do something big and nice as I've been rather loose about getting these done.

• Locked thread