Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Anphrax posted:

I can't tell if you're trying to make me look like a liar... but.

He was confirming your guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

One coat of Red Gore over white primer followed by a coat of Blood Red works wonders for me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Duplicolor Sandable White Auto Primer is what I use.

Here's a range of opinions on it, ranging from the great satan to aerosol sex:
http://www.privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=915

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 3, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Duplicolor white goes on really thin. I usually just do a quick spray or two. It's not going to give perfect coverage, but when does white ever?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Iron Squid posted:

Whoops.

I just primed all the bases for my Chaos Space Marines, but forgot to leave an unpainted space to glue my minis. If I put glue down on top of the paint, will the mini stick?
For CA glue, yes. If you're worried, just scratch the primer off with a knife before gluing.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

why is he donking himself in the head?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I like the color scheme, but I don't like the splotchyness on the white.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vets can't even take lightning claws. And the dudes with the one catachan arm and one scout arm look pretty off.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Kudos for having the courage to do a yellow quartered scheme, I like it. I'm not thrilled by the Black bolter casing, though I don't know what color would be better. Maybe the same red used in the eyes?

Fyrbrand posted:

Space marine scout heads are the worst heads

They don't look too bad on Catachans. Incidentally, Catachan heads look great on Scouts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Looking much nicer. I can't wait to see them highlighted up.

I'd vote against magnetizing your dudes like Fix did, though. It's of dubious use and you'll have a bunch of dudes with annoyingly weak arms/backpacks. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

Ok since my Series 7s came in yesterday, anyone want to tell me how best to take care of them? I have a routine for cleaning brushes but don't really know if I'm doing it right. Now that I have actual good brushes I want to do it correctly.

DON'T DIP IT IN SUPERGLUE

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

stabbington posted:

The Masters' Brush Cleaner owns, and a big tub of it will last you literally forever. I have one from 15 years ago that is still 2/3rds full.

After dipping my S7 brush in superglue, I used this stuff (alternating washing in LA's Totally Awesome to weaken the glue) to get the brush in a good enough quality that my brother thinks it's the best brush he owns.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's doable but it will be annoying.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Cakefool: Are those just standard platicard tubes or did you find a more economical way to get plastic tubes.

Fix posted:

Edit:
So is there a good alternative for a clearcoat to Testors Dullcoat? As in something that doesn't come in a two-ounce can for eleventy billion dollars?

Protip: At least right now, if you buy anything (even a <$1 item) at Michaels, you get a 40% off any one item coupon. And, at least at my local store, they carry Dullcoat in their plastic model section. You can get a can for $2.40 which is a tad more reasonable for such a tiny can. You'll also get another 40% off coupon.

Also, what brand do people use for their gloss coat? I know Testors sells a can the size of their Dullcoat but that seems a little pricey for something I've never heard of going bad.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 15, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

From that chart, it looks like a 1/8" rod will fit in a 3/32" almost perfectly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Chenghiz posted:

Which numbers are you looking at? I can't figure out what H, T and W are supposed to mean with regards to outer and inner diameter.

ok nevermind I was looking at the wrong columns

H - outer diameter of tube
W - inner diameter of tube
T - thickness of tube

I'm not 100% certain of these, but this is the only way it makes sense. A 3/32 rod would NOT fit in a 1/8 tube. You're going to want a 5/64ths, if you can find one. 1/16" would also work.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hobby Town USA usually stocks them. They don't do online orders so I hope there is one nearby.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Do you have a collection of your Hawk Lord photos? I know someone who's interested in painting his dudes in that scheme.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sole Sushi did you do a tutorial on sculpting fur earlier? I need to give someone a wolf hat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

People wanted Spiderfexes so I guess GW's gonna tap that market.

Anphrax posted:

Hawk Lords

Thanks. Have you figured out what to do about the chapter markings on the shoulder pad?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

How the gently caress do you paint a Valkyrie or any other large vehicle without all the paint on the edges rubbing off from your goony loving hands

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm totally going to do the same thing some day. What size board is that?

The easiest way to to the border is to buy a custom framing kit - you two sets of sides and put those together. Should be less than 30 for all the sides.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This looks amazing, I love the orange. I might steal your colour scheme for mine :cthulhu:

Same here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The legs look fine. I'd make the tail bushier, though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

120x80mm oval iirc

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sole.Sushi posted:

Really freakin' late, but here we are!
FUR.

Sweet. Thanks. I'll probably give this a shot tomorrow.

Myopic posted:

How do people magnetize marine arms? There's not enough depth in the torso pieces to sink a 1mm deep magnet.
Some people stick a gob of greenstuff inside the torso.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I use the back of a knife, it's easier to keep from taking an accidental chunk out.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

someone commission PV to paint up some kroot

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I hope GW never releases a Tervigon kit cause these kitbash ones own so hard

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

holy christ the boltgun casing

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I don't know who's paint scheme to steal. All these Trygons are so beautiful.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Aegoceros posted:

So, I've just received in the mail a totally awesome Lord of Pestilence from Ultraforge. He will be filling in as my Nurgle Daemon Prince, but here's the trick - for him to not die/be useful, he needs wings. An age and a half ago, I saw several really cool Nurgle princes with pus-filled rocket packs converted onto them for wings, but have since lost the links and, with them, just what was used for the barrels on the pack.

So, Sculpting/Modelgoons, I ask you for suggestions on 28mm or larger oil drum looking barrels. My Google-fu has failed me in this regards.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

50/50 Shadow Grey/Space Wolves Grey, Babdab Wash, Space Wolves Grey highlights is how my friend paints his Wolves and it looks pretty good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

Is there any particluar reason why painting the sand makes it any more... sandy? Basing sand already has a nice color and looks natural without additional coloring. Do you think it would look better in another color or does painting it the same color do something extra? It's three layers of sand and glue, meaning you cannot see the base through the material.

It looks like you took a bunch of sand and glued it to the base. Painting it adds depth to make it a more convincing ground.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Feeple posted:

I am. I typically only go for white when I'm trying to make brighter colors.

I didn't even know anyone read those. Thanks. :blush:

@Arlaharen: Yes, yes I do! I've been painting this all up as part of a welcome to Mk II things locals made called Fight Club.
Here's a few:

EDIT: Yog that Skaven owns, dude!

Space Sharks: Menoth Edition

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Fix posted:

I don't suppose anyone has done an online rhino painter like they have with other models have they?

I think the army painter from Dawn of War 1 let you pick colors on a Rhino.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/259096.page

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Asciana posted:

Why did I get it into my head that Howling Griffins would be a good idea?
:cry:

cause the babdab war is one of the few cool pieces of space marine fluff

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

My local store had a painting contest this month - one Gor. I tried a non-standard skin color, and it's not quite as purple in real life, but I like it. I tried to use PV's Ork metal technique but I think I drybrushed too much boltgun back on.

Of course, everyone else took painting competition to mean basing competition, so we'll see how well I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Is that skull with wings torso a conversion or one of the standard CSM torsos?

• Locked thread