Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Newbie question time since I just finally picked up my first sm tactical squad box, what are these holes on the backpack for?

All other ones have either a vent hole thingy or a skull; my black templar upgrade pack has one with the chapter logo over it but there's no emblems or extra skulls on the tact squad sprues as far as I can tell. Any clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Those, you lucky lucky devil, are miscasts. They should either be flat there or have raised detail (skull or round vent). This isn't indicative of GW production quality by the way, in over a decade of buying stuff I've never seen miscasts that bad on a GW sprue.

Go to your local GW and ask for a replacement, or ring GW and describe them. You shouldn't have any problem either getting them exchanged (shop) or being sent a replacement sprue/box (phone).

Heh, thanks for the info.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Having never painted minis before I think I'm finally beginning to figure out this shading/highlighting/blending business:

Now I get to do that 14 times and make sure I pay some attention to the rest of the dude too and not just the head. One of these days I'll grow some will power and stop buying poo poo because you nerds keep posting them >

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Heh, thanks a bunch guys. I still need to get more colors before I can finish the skull and those purity and crusader seals. That and need to figure out how exactly those crosses would be highlighted.

I don't know about you folks but my main problem is I'd get all pumped and go all nutso working on the head; once that's done I just kinda peter out on the rest of the dude. By the time I get to do the legs I'm in the meh mode and squiggle some lines and call it quits. Really need to stop doing that.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Still need to finish doing the seal on that melta, after that I need to do another 11 marines in the same shading scheme.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It's codex gray thinned down to maybe 1/10 with water for the brightest parts, codex gray + chaos black thinned down for the intermediate, then codex gray + 2x chaos black thinned down for the darker part. Edges are done with regular codex gray.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Woo woo! Now I finally have a squad:

Guess I'll try to do a chaplain next since I don't want to gently caress up my dreadnought yet.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thanks guys. Think I might do some touch ups later on the templars but for now I'm happy that I got the figs done.

Honestly I haven't even thought about basing til PV brought it up. This whole thing was mainly a test to see if I can actually paint minis themselves. Now that I got that done I'm gonna go through what Aranan posted and see what I should do base-wise. Unless I get distracted by something else that is.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beens posted:

Those are really nice.
How did you paint the white cloth?

Thanks. The cloth was done with a codex gray base then thin layers of white on top (1:10'ish paint:water).

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I finally decided to get space hulk tonight. Got the box home, start putting things together, then almost fainted when termie #8's lighting claw got bent because gw has the brilliant foresight of attaching one of those thin rear end claw pieces to the sprue. Good thing there's no permanent damage. 12 termies and 22 gene stealers are gonna keep me pretty busy for a while I think.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PV, those are friggin awesome.

On primers, what can you use instead of citadel's 15 dollar white spray can? I know for black it's krylon flat black, anything for white?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Powerful Cream posted:

Try using a coat or 2 of mechrite red before slapping red gore on next time? Foundation paints are pretty amazing for giving you a good layer to start with. Either that or get an airbrush.

Oh and use a bigger brush?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

Also, Broken Loose, you should paint more stuff that isn't a tyranid: your stuff looks good.

Yup. That kasrkin kicks all kinds of rear end.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hey PV, could you edit the url for those basing tutorial links that aranan posted a while back to this instead?

http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_base_plants01.php
http://archive.brushthralls.com/basing/back-to-bases-1-textures-2.html
http://archive.brushthralls.com/basing/back-to-bases-2-cork-and-snow.html
http://archive.brushthralls.com/basing/back-to-bases-3-protectorate-basing.html
http://www.astronomican.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=273&Itemid=98
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=86
http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com/2009/05/friday-quick-tip-cork-basing.html
http://archive.brushthralls.com/Old/HordesBasing/index.php
http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=3381[/url]
http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_base_rock01.php
http://salmondworks.com/blog/?p=156[/url]
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=146
http://www.astronomican.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=484&Itemid=98
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=159
http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com/search/label/Basing

Some of the longer urls got chopped before and don't really work.

EDIT: stupid loving auto sparse

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 19, 2009

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Powerful Cream posted:

Gee-bee-ess crosspost:

Alright warhams, here's the deal my friend has given me this:

And these:

(CSM termie HF)
(what I think is the LS's original MM)

To make a land speeder for my marines (temporarily nicknamed the House of the Rising Sun)

There are several issues here that I need to adress:

1. Paint may need to be stripped, though I'm not so sure because the black at least looks like it was done with just undercoat and is not thick at all. I may just end up replacing the marine heads, and respraying it out of laziness.

2. There is no mount for the gunner MM

3. There is no mount for the hull HF

4. There is no flying base

5. There is no crazy anti-grav fork

Now the only solutions that I've thought up so far are: to manually construct a mount for the MM; to clip the stubby remains of the anti-grav fork and trim the HF down and stick it there; and finally to plead to one of you to give me a base/order three from GW direct (just one is impossible).

What do you guys think of these semi-solutions and do you have any better ones (I'm sure you do, you smug fucks)?

I'd strip the paint first instead of respraying it; not 100% clear on the pics but some spots look a little lumpy already. Soak the sucker in simple green or purple power for a day or 2 then scrub it with an old toothbrush. Simple green doesn't strip primer all that well though.

No idea on the rest of the stuff aside from scratch building those with apoxie clay or green stuff or styrene bits.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This bastard took me entirely way too long:

First terminator as well as the first red-based mini done; I need to figure out a faster way to do my basecoats; think I did something like 4 coats of mechrite red and then 3 or 4 coats of blood red.

11 more to go

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

It worked perfectly. Pics incoming.

Now to wash it black then pick out the details.

Stop making me want to buy more poo poo, drat it!

Looks great; I can't even begin to think how long it'd take to base coat all that by hand.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

f) bike squad + attack bike

Any votes for the next project? (None of these will go anywhere near as quickly as the wagon did unfortunately.)

That one. Because I still need to finish mine.

Stupid pool rings around that chest scroll; guess I shouldn't water down them ink after all. Need to fix that slop mark next to the seal on its right leg too but over all it didn't turn out too badly. Plus hey, I've only been painting a week short of 2 months. At least I got the most scroll heavy space hulk piece out of the way finally.

EDIT: better pic.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 30, 2009

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

scorching effects

Oh absolutely. I purposely put it away and not looked at it over the weekend then took a detailed pic to analyze everything and that was pretty much the most glaring thing aside from the pool rings and the name tags looking terrible. I'll be doing that for sure.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gah I need to get a god drat airbrush. Basecoating is taking forever and I still have 9 terminators left > Stupid Christmas and saving up for other stuff.

Has anyone here used that cheap setup from harbor freight? Is it good enough for basecoating? 80 bucks for this compressor and this brush kit seems like a good price since I'm not planning on doing anything detailed with it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EDIT: /\/\/\ thanks homie /\/\/\

Shallow posted:

I ended up randomly looking at dremels on Amazon today after one of their eerily prescient recommendations emails linked to one. I'm pretty sure the closest thing to hobby stuff they know I have is Dawn of War...

Anyway, I ended up looking at this Silverline hobby tool because it's a poo poo load cheaper than a dremel, and I figure I will want to be magnetising Tyranids in the near future. Has anyone used one?

Also, as a PSA I should mention that the Warhammer thread is now in TG if you are looking for it. Yes, TG, not TGD, although presumably that will get fixed.

I bought a 20 dollar black & decker rotary tool instead of getting a 60 dollar Dremel (TM) and that thing finally died after grinding steel sheets for like 4 years. Think that silverline will work just fine on soft metal and plastic minis.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Should I get the 100 PSI package instead or should I stay with the 30-40 PSI models?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

We sperg about brushes and mold lines here. RAI and RAW discussions can't hold a candle to black primer vs white primer or painting before assembly vs painting after assembly.

And drilling barrels, drat it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Magentizing the Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace

Dude this kicks all kinds of rear end

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Dullcoted first, then glossied (carapaces, blades, and the little injector tongue dealies):

Dude that looks really good. I'm gonna do that to my nids when I finally get around to paint them.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Le Saboteur posted:

Crosspost of my first ever painted mini, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out even though theres a ton of room for improvement.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Not bad at all for your first mini. Just a suggestion though, pull your camera out a little farther and you'll get a clearer pic on the mini itself; you can always crop out the parts that you don't want later.

I think I'm gonna end up magnetizing the top of the land raider instead of gluing it down; shots like these will look cool with a fully painted and detailed interior:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Man stop tempting me. I already talked myself out of drilling light holes along the floor and install LEDs for some mood lighting. Now if you can make the instrument panel glow green and such, that would be bad rear end.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

have a gander at this poo poo.

drat, I can have the world's first rave templar LRC with those...

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I really need to stop goofing around and finish painting my dudes. Haven't seriously worked on anything in months:

Hopefully I can cut those bases free and make them look decent; the guy who gave me those 3 bikes used plastic glue on everything and they're on there pretty good.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

Should I strip them or just deal with it?

Take a pic so you can keep records of how they used to look, then strip away and repaint them to new bad assery, then look at the new ones and go "oh yeah, I kick rear end". (I do that all the time since I'm too cheap to keep buying stuff)

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I was supposed to be working on either some terminators or a land raider but I had to take care of a project for class. Fortunately I might be able to work that into a scenary piece:

I sculpted a miniature copy of my fist out of wax clay then had it cast in bronze. Guess I'll start sculpting a stand of some kind and work that into a Rogal Dorn Community Park diorama.

A little rough, sure, it's the first time I sculpted anything though so I'm happy with it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Heh you guys should've seen the original wax piece:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

drat, I just realized that little armymen gray officer in the background next to the speaker should've had a caption of "what's going on over there?"

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

That fist is clearly meant to be the counts as Canis-wolfbutt mount for your new crimson fist army.

Oh god that's just wrong. I may have to do it after it gets graded.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I tried using a lamp with a magnifier lens a while back when I was working on some other miniature projects but my perspectives got all wonked out because there's always that warped distortion towards the edge of the lens. I dunno, if it doesn't bother you go for it. Personally I prefer those goggles more if I really need to see tiny stuff.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

For you guys that are using the magnifier lamp only for the light (like Fix), do you see a difference with that circular light tube vs. a single light bulb? I went the cheap route for lighting, 10 bucks for a swivel arm lamp with a clamp on the bottom for 11 bucks at office depot.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Edit: Ha. I just got a "abandoned property" letter from Bank of America about an old 401k/IRA account I thought I had closed/transferred years ago that's been just sitting there racking up interest for about a decade. To ham, or not to ham?

HAM IT! You know you wanna.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Hahaha. Nah. Kid's got to go to college.

Tell him to go to a community college and get a student loan. Toys must come first. Plus isn't your wife still on deployment or something? She can't stop you if she ain't there.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oh no kidding, grats man.

so uh, she doesn't know about the account or anything right?

FILTHY WOOD XENO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thanks man, now that I'm done with my stupid wood sculpture project for school I can finally finish painting my dudes again. My livingroom's been covered by layers of saw dust for like a week. Like I said in IRC, gently caress sculpting wood.

That red's black primer and then 4 layers of mechrite and 4 layers of blood red. I tried white but I couldn't get that deep shade so I had to strip and switch back to the painfulness.

• Locked thread