Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

PaintVagrant posted:

what a horrible looking workspace, all i eat is wendys and coffee aparently

I love seeing workspace shots. Everyone should post their own!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So... am I greenstuffing wrong? I wet my fingers and my sculpting tool, but that poo poo sticks to everything I don't want it to, regardless.

Some people lightly grease their tools + gs with vaseline which I found helped

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

jus need to add heads before primering. Supposed to be rubric marines, deciding between maxmini steamknight heads vs hornless chaos warrior heads. Was gonna use the OG headdress heads but if I figure if I was gonna use that I should've just went with the pewter box set instead of converting

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

postin this here cause it got lost in the general thread

Test headdress for my Thousand Sons. Verrry rough, attached with sticky tack. Yay or nay? Otherwise I'm going to go with something like the normal maxmini helms have on the right with the little forehead sticks

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Should I be thinning Foundation paints? I've been doing roughly 1:1 water mix with hormagaunt purple on white primer and this is my first time painting "properly" so I'm not sure what it should look like at first. It takes 2-3 watery coats to get a light purple color.

Also, liche purple/shining gold emperor's children csm. I used a chaos black/future floor wax wash but the result is too dark for me. What color is generally used to brighten models for washes?

Sorry for lack my pictures don't got a camera with me at the moment.

quote:

I need some advice.

I've had some Ork Goff rockers for a long time now, but been wanting something decent to put on their bases other than sand/flock/grass. It seems impossible to find anything like industrial grip metal textured plasticard here (England), so I'm wondering what you guys might suggest as a good "stage" like basing material.

Try finding some wireform mesh used in clay sculpting. Not sure how they're priced in the UK but I picked a pack for cheap at a dollar store

yum fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 3, 2010

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Morning posted:

Thats about what you want, maybe a liiiitle more paint in the water, but thats it :)

Add a little purple to the wash, that should lighten it more without changing the color tone.

Cool, thanks!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Another vote for vaseline here. I just dip my tools in the jar and then wipe off 95% of it using a tissue leaving only a verryy thin coat. After the GS has dried I use one of those cotton swab sticks on the GS to wipe off the vaseline. Shiny -> dull in the light and continue working from there. Seems to do the work for me

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Ashcans posted:

This is your second post of saying GS is poo poo (which is pretty questionable to begin with when a bunch of serious professionals use it) if you are going to poo poo on a product at least give us an alternative, thanks. What are you recommending?

hubba bubba

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Not sure if this has been posted but

http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,sculpting.php?id=571

+

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45944

soon as exams are over I am so doing this for my daemonprince

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Kind of at a loss as to how I am going to base my Bretonnians. Usually I will try to pick a color and scheme that will frame and complement the colours on the models. Or you know, paint tomb kings in the desert. Because thats where they come from.

When my models are every colour, what do I do? :gonk:

paint them every colour.

Seriously though, if your brets are bright then you should probably go for a duller/darker/ low profile base

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
great job on the cloak!!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
yess finally got a camera. Still learning though so sorry for poor pics

Here's a squad of some old EC csm that I had before quitting this hobby. Decided to finish painting them as practice before working on my main army. Still need to work on a lot of things especially the basics like paint consistency/brush control. This is my first time actually thinning paints/not drybrushing the gently caress out of my models so cnc welcome please!!

also now that I have a camera I'm gonna join in on the oathing. This small squad took me waaaay too long to do

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

PaintVagrant posted:

These are really solid. The bases help tie everything together.

I think now, that youre thinning paint and not drybrushing, its time to try some highlighting on that purple.

here's my attempt:

Not sure if you can tell they were highlighted but...

I had a lot of difficulty doing thin crisp lines. Also, I think I may have thinned the paint a bit too much or had too much water on the brush cause sometimes the highlight would be really runny or be too transparent/watery

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
thanks for the tips everyone. I'm prepping my "real" army right now which is Ravenguard so I'm gonna get a lot of practice on highlighting. Putting my 1K sons on hold right now until I get this down pat

Also that is one pretty marine Bistro :allears:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Teadrinker posted:

I was just reading this on the GW site about highlighting black. A bloke did it to his death company and they look good

"Baz painted his Death Company armour a little differently to most. He first sprayed them black and then gave them a drybrush using a mix of Chaos Black, Adeptus Battlegrey and Hawk Turquoise. He then gave them a second drybrush using all the above colours but added Fortress Grey to the mix. Finally he highlighted the edges of the armour using the drybrush mix and then using that mix but adding some Skull White. The last job was to wash the whole model with Badab black. Baz says it "might sound complex but it is actually really easy and gives a nice subtle highlight, while still keeping the model nice and dark"

Have a look at the models, but the pics arent that great
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10100027a

Interesting...but I'm trying to shy away from drybrushing atm. Maybe when I need to speedpaint some guys I'll be trying this

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
cross postin from other thread

Rubric marine I blu tacked together. Size comparison next to an Aobr marine. Should I enlarge the chaos warrior feet? Not trying to true scale here so he's kind of already the same size as a normal marine and I'm afraid (lazy to gs) that making the feet larger would make him clowny.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Looks fine to me.

kewl

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
check it out I gave my sorc bunny ears and a lolipop

also i built a dread

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Here's another shot. I'm not too good with a camera

the wire thing is that mesh stuff clay modelers use. I was too lazy to cut up more guitar string and needed something for the chest

Also the rivets are crooked :(

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Thanks for the comments. Originally the dread torso wasn't positioned so upright so the head was okay. I'll go back and change it

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
here's my WIP tson color scheme

I think I'm going to change up the bottom robey part as well as the gold. Not really sure on the base either.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Fyrbrand posted:

I wanna punt it I wanna punt it I wanna punt it I wana punt it I wanna punt it

Charlie Brown style

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
For those who prime the sprues then assemble, what do you do with the mold lines? Do you just scrape them off and pretty much paint over the exposed plastic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Since the GW black primer spraycan is basically just Chaos Black paint would shooting Chaos Black through an airbrush be adequate for a primer?

• Locked thread