Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Can anyone recommend some starter sculpting tools? I don't know enough about sculpting to know if I should spring for something more expensive or if I should just buy whatever. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, but I'd like to have actual tools for working with green stuff. Bonus points for Prime eligible tools on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So, I ordered testor dullcoat online and I received this:

It doesn't look like any of the images of dull coat I've seen (or indeed the image on Amazon where I ordered it from). Did I get hosed here? Or is this what I'm looking for?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

JerryLee posted:

I've seen like three or four different label designs for dullcote by now. Sometimes it'll be under a different imprint or whatever, but it'll still say somewhere on the can that it's Testors, Dullcote, and/or #1260. It's fine, they're all chemically the same as far as I can tell.

Ah thanks, the bottom says 1260.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Fyrbrand posted:

Painted a second Gatorman Posse. Stupid easy to paint given how effective it turns out, imo. The bases on the other hand, are a pain in the rear end.

Looking good!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Daedleh posted:

I've been on a binge trying to crank out as many painted hams as I can to clear my backlog. Last nights efforts:

That jack loos rad!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Those are looking drat good

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

adary posted:

Bunch of nice works here.

Here is the last one I painted (a while back, I should get back to it ...)

Throne of Everblight

The blending is tight as hell on that model. I kind of want one for my Legion, but painting the thing intimidates the hell out of me.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BaconCopter posted:

I have rattlecan of Army Painter (some said the best kind of) white primer, it's not like I don't know how to use it. The one time I got to use it the coat came out perfectly. I don't know when I'll actually be able to use the drat stuff because of how poo poo cold it's been in Chicago.

I know a store in the suburbs carries the Vallejo Surface Primer, which I asked about in the 40k thread and I was told to use Gesso :v:

Hey terrible Chicago weather pal! I've been using nothing but paint on primer and just stuffing everything into my display case until the weather improves so i can slap a dullcoat on.

Games Plus is awesome, but like 45 minutes away.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does anyone have any masking fluid recommendations? I just finished magnetizing a pair of Legion heavy Warbeasts that I now need to paint without covering the magnets in said paint

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Post 9-11 User posted:

One of the young painters I tutored years ago quickly proved he had way more talent than I do, (I'm a darn good painter but nothing like you gents here) he's now promoting his commission work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/War-Brush-Studio/486951161341753

Sorry, did I say more? I mean metric fucktons more.

(lance battery strike aftermath!)

This is loving rad

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

thegodofchuck posted:

Question for people who know way more about paints than I:

I have a GW Mega Paint Set that I got way back when they were doing the Skullz promotion that I have never used, however it looks like all of the paints except (some of) the inks have completely dried up. Are they still good if I add water? If so, any advice on how to do so (should I add a drop, stir, repeat, what should I be looking for, etc.)? Should the inks be diluted also? For reference, these are the paints that came in the pots below:

(not my paints, just a picture I found on the web).

I've never really painted much (obviously, since they've just been sitting there!), but I've been thinking about doing so and it would be nice to make use of my box of paint rather than toss it all.

You could try Golden's acrylic flow release. I've occasionally saved some GW paints with it, but their lovely pots are what got me to switch to reaper master series in the first place.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Tharizdun posted:

How poisonous are the various paint things? I am very clumsy and regularly have my fingertips covered in paint, washes, super glue and pewter shavings/bits. Should I be worried?

don't inhale them and you should be fine.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Cross-posting from the Warmahordes thread:

I'm trying to finish off my pair of magnetized heavys (well one heavy kit and the carnivean from the 2-player box), and I wanted some input. I'm alright with the skin, but I'm not sure what i want to do with the armor. It took me forever to come up with something passable for the carapace, now I'm not sure whether I should matte varnish it or gloss varnish it - thoughts?

Flash

No-Flash

EDIT: I'm talking about varnish on the carapace specifically

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 16, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The only thing I worry about with the magnets is pets (and I'm sure I'll worry about kids when I have them). But I keep them sealed in a case and keep the pets out of the area I paint in. It's bizarre to me that they would be banned anywhere.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So, I think I'm ready to make the leap and buy an airbrush. I read HKR's post, but I'm unclear on what I need to buy from the links - the compressor is straightforward, but the link to Blick for the brush is a page with like 25 different items. Which should I be buying? Also is the specific brush recommendation still standing or do people have new preferences. I'm thinking of between $400-600 for the compressor/brush stuff.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

JoshTheStampede posted:

The Badger Patriot is the AK-47 of airbrushes. It's a god damned workhorse. I prime and varnish with it, metallics, whatever, and it cleans easy and never clogs. It can't do QUITE the fine lines my Sotar can but for everything mini painters need it's more than detaily enough. I barely ever use the Sotar because the Patriot is so versatile.

If you really want to spend 300+ bucks I would recommend a Patriot, the compressor everyone gets from amazon, and a set of Minitaire paints. Not having to thin paints and going straight from the bottle is a HUGE timesaver and aggravation-saver.

The Minitaire metallics suck though, so get a couple of the Vallejo Air metallics, which are amazing.

What is "the compressor everyone gets from amazon." I need something relatively quiet, since I'll be in an apartment for about 18 months before I can get out of the city and look for a house again.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I asked about airbrushes about a week ago, but then I had to leave town for a week before I got everything sorted out. I think I'm going to go for the Badger Patriot as a brush. I got a lot of recommendations on tanks, but a lot of people pretty much said "get the Amazon one" and I got a lot of get one with an air tank. Is this the one people were referencing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Someone was pimping Sparmax, but the Sparmax compressors with tanks were like $400+, so I don't know that I want to start there.

EDIT: Realized I had Prime Only checked. Is this the one? http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-TC-2...essor+with+tank

Also a badger one, but no clue how valuable branding is aside from the build in holder http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Br...essor+with+tank

VVV Thanks

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 26, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

LumberingTroll posted:

Thanks, working on a paint rack that will work for GW and PP paints. annoying little fuckers that they are..

Edit:

Here is what Ive got so far, keeping in line with my dropper bottle design, it is a little taller than the other though, and it holds 48 instead of 50 as the dropper bottle one does.

Have you thought of working something up for Badger's Minitaire/Golden's Fluid Acrylics?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
What do you guys like to use paint-wise for basing with an airbrush? The airbursh megapost has a lot of mixing and hard to find products. I'd like something I can throw in straight or with thinning.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I've got some Raven Black minitaire paint, is there one that's a bit flatter? It just seems like it rubs off a little easily for a base.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

signalnoise posted:

One of the common complaints I've seen for minitaire is that it's too glossy, but I never heard of that durability issue, in fact quite the opposite. Or, by base do you mean primer? Are you using it as a primer?

yes, that is indeed what I mean. I should probably sleep.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I wouldn't use base paint as primer. That's probably the problem imo

Yeah, so revised question - what primer should I be shooting through an airbrush

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Esser-Z posted:

Yep, that's what I'm doing now!

I didn't have any darker green than the skin tone to use for shading. But I did have a bottle of black wash.

A few drops of green and a bit more wash, plus a little water, and....

I think it worked very well! Will probably use a similar technique to get some shade on the purple.

If you're into purple metalic armor, you might consider Reaper Master Series Paints Sparkling Amethyst. I use it on me legion troops - it looks like this:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Dear Badger,

gently caress you for selling the full Mintaire set for $100 at GenCon. I almost made it out of Sunday without spending a big chunk of money, but I couldn't pass up 2/3rds of Amazon pricing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Since we're talking about sealing our minis - is there a good product to use with an airbrush? I'm using Dullcoat now, but looking ahead, I can't spray outside nearly all winter because it's too drat cold.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

GaistHeidegger posted:

Is there a particular sort of Simple Green I should pick up, or will most variations be safe for not melting Bones into goo?

Eyeballing any of my old stuff just makes me cringe sheerly from not having bothered with any mold lines or paint thinning or detailing or highlighting or aaaaaa. But, that's all for learning for moving forward now I suppose.

So I'm working at cleaning up and prepping Bones figures now, particularly mold lines--but I'm having a bit of a hard time -seeing- the lines due to how white the material is under the light; at the very least I'm catching and seeming to do an OK job of getting rid of the really obvious egregious ones (like ever Bones Orc has a line right across their frigging head I swear) but I'm finding a lot of them seem to be fairly cleverly 'hidden' e.g. where gear joins or along the edges of weapons, etc. I have a soft needle file I'm taking to it, it's just slow going trying to make sure I'm not missing anything.

After, I'm going dish soap + toothbrush on them and hopefully my trigger finger will be a little less ridiculous with priming figures from here on out. A lot of the really cludged ones were from when I initially got army painter supplies earlier in the year (around end of Bones II I got all fired up for 'Hey, I should probably paint my Bones!' and stocked up) so I've got about a dozen figures that need dunk / scrub / file treatment.

I use the generic simple green (http://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

LumberingTroll posted:

Those are actually Vallejo paints re-branded as Flames of War.

Flames of war brand on the left, the back of the Vallejo box on the right, and an un-opened Vallejo box above.

Im not sure but Army Painter may just be rebranded Vallejo as well.

I think Army Painter is some ex GW guys. At least that's what I got from an article about why Strong Tone is pretty much exactly Devlan Mud

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Big Willy Style posted:

Paint Vagrant used to have commission thread in SA mart that seemed to be pretty busy and got him a lot of business. I would take on commissions but I am in Australia so postage costs make it dumb.

Last time I asked PV, (a couple months ago) he didn't have time for commissions at present.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does anyone have a recommended YouTube video for using Ghost Tints? When I bought the Minitaire set, everyone in thread said they were a little weird, so I'd like to look at some video before I start playing with them.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Eldar vehicles are the 80's vans of the grimdark future

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Post 9-11 User posted:

While I have not used it myself, "The Masters" Brush Cleaner And Preservative has, over the years, been touted by goons as doing wonders:

I love this stuff. Sadly, my wife realized it could be used to clean her makeup brushes and now I need to go find the larger tub. If you're just painting miniatures, one should last pretty much forever. They're also pretty cheap.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

dr_ether posted:

More WIP on that Dasyatis clone.

:swoon: those colors

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I dig the cape.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Darren MacLennan posted:

It started with such noble goals, and then it...just went sideways somehow.

There's a lot of degrees of difficulty here. I'm painting a model without reference to somebody's better model, so I don't have ideas I can use. I'm painting a Mythos monster, so wild colors are to be expected, but they're difficult to harmonize. I'm painting lots of broad surfaces without a good idea of how to paint a texture. And this is a WIP.

But it just got away from me, and now I have to strip it.

I just got my Cthulhu Wars box as well. I bought mine in a major part to work on my airbrush skills since it's a ton of models of various size and the color bleed is a little more forgivable because Mythos.

Aside from Zero's advice, I would add that, if you actually plan to play the game, I would take some time to plan out a color scheme for each faction so that it's easier to identify whose stuff is whose in the middle of a game with 40 figures on the board. I think your Nyarlathotep is occupying a bunch of different color spaces - like is that faction going to trend blue or purple? I mean, to a degree, you could just paint each base a certain color, but I think if you're going to play the game, I would consider how the paint jobs will facilitate play.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Bistromatic posted:

Thank! I was actually thinking about wheel covers/armour skirts but then i remembered that at least some wheels presumably have to turn for steering :v: So if i go with skirts i'll have to make them properly spaced plus they don't seem to be common on real wheeled tanks.
I do want to add some armor on top, an antenna and some bumps to suggest comm equipment might help to break up the large surface. The problem is that both the periscope in front of the hatch and the sensor dome that goes into the turret slot are very low so i might have to modify those too or they'll only be looking against the edges of armor plates. On the the whole, i'm willing to put a bunch of effort into this thing since i'll only ever field one and it houses the ranking officer but i also have to consider how i'll fit under the dropship since i'm magnetising everything. For example i noticed i'll have to watch out with the glacis extension to i don't bump up against the cockipt

I second the 3M respirator, i use one at work and it's really good and surprisingly comfy to wear if you adjust it properly. Depending on what you're going to do you can get particulate filters or solvent filters with optional clip on particulate filters.

I bought that one last year and have been super happy with it both in terms of airbrushing and doing "real" work like stripping rust.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does anyone have a link to a good guide for painting fur? I've got a unit of Raptors I want to paint for my legion army and they're the first unit I've painted with fur since like 2002

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does anyone have a good technique for making dead logs or branches to bases? Ideally something other than sculpting from scratch with green stuff.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

serious gaylord posted:

Go to a place where trees are. Pick up fallen twigs.

It's winter in Chicago. I may not see the ground for months. We got like 2 feet of snow a couple weeks ago and that's just gonna sit there until spring.

VVVVVV Well, I guess I'll stock up when weather permits.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Who Dat posted:

I know it's touched upon in the OP but since opinions differ, here and otherwise, I'll ask because I'm babby painter. I have a bunch of hobby store paints, basic colors that I planned on mixing for different hues. They weren't expensive. Just really cheap acrylic that I was going to start with. Is it okay to used cheap options for learning to apply paints, using brushes? Or should I invest in decent miniature paints like Vallejo. A set of 72 can be had for ~220. Not cheap, but the more I think of the prospect of mixing paints (I'm not super patient), the more I like the lots of quality paints option.

I'm watching a miniature painting 101 series on YouTube and the guy definitely recommended getting decent paints, be it GW, P3, Vallejo, or Reaper. Just figured I'd get opinions before shelling out that kind of cash.

Wait $220 for art store acrylics? Or do you mean the Vallejo ones. If it's art store, You could get more Minitaire paint for that price (Badger's minitaire line is under $200 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Minitaire-Retarder/dp/B00AX5H86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425055123&sr=8-1&keywords=minitaire)

• Locked thread