Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

TheBlobThing posted:

God drat it!

Anyone have any tips on getting a standard Dark Angels decal on a marine shoulder plate? I can fit a Balkenkreuz on a Zimmerit coated Tiger to make it look painted on, but I can't for the life of me get that drat insignia on flat!

I tried twice now, used both Microset and Microsol. Tried cutting the edge off the decal to remove superfluous material, and I still get folds! How do you guys do it?

Cut slits between the sword and the wings at the top of the decal so you can fold the decal over itself and get it to sit flush on top of the curve of the pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

How else are you gonna paint whizzards on the side of all your Rhinos?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Sykic posted:

Anyone know of good ways to do urban dust weathering (such as around tank tracks) on this? Or at the very least which colours to use? Mud seems a bit out of place and drybrushing different greys on it (to simulate concrete dust) looked really unnatural.

Look into weathering powders. And honestly, a grey dust is gonna look pretty dumb on a grey tank, so you should probably stick to brown dust.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Vallejo's airbrush primer is brushable and also 1000 times better than gesso for priming models. Save gesso for canvases.

Edit: Or get a pot of Mr Surfacer 1000, that stuff is the best brush-on primer hands down, but you also need lacquer thinner to get it out of brushes. Still, best primer ever.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 13, 2012

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Luebbi posted:

I finished my unit of immortals today! These were a lot of fun to paint, I really dig the eye-searing yellow. The lord is still a WIP - I decided to repaint the warscythe blades yellow as well - daring, but I hope it'll turn out okay.

Especially proud about the fact that I finally painted up the five metal dudes in the back as well - they used to be my oldest models in the "to draw"-box.

These are really cool, man. I can't wait to see an army shot.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I know this is kind of a longshot, but what's the best Vallejo ultra opaque to match the old Khemri Brown? I have Heavy Khaki, which I think is the closest but it's really hard to tell between the bottles and the paint swatches sometimes.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

OneTrueBru posted:

According to their equivalency .pdf, it's "Extra Opaque Heavy Brown".

Unfortunately I don't have a pot of Khemri, or I'd do a quick comparison of paint splodges to check. If it helps, standard VGC Khaki is fairly close to Heavy Brown, but a teensy bit lighter.

I love you. I'll grab some of the Heavy Brown tomorrow and do a comparison paint splotch myself, but I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just a basecoat color for my Word Bearers, using the White Dwarf painting guides for the models that have been featured in the new 40k rulebook. It doesn't have to be perfect, I just want a bone color that will cover over black well, and the VGC ultra opaque rack at the LGS was pretty intimidating.

jodai: Save gesso for canvases, if you absolutely positively must prime with a brush instead of a rattlecan, buy some of Vallejo's airbrush primers. The black/gray/white come in giant 200mL bottles which will last you a lifetime and it's a far better brush on primer than gesso, it is much thinner and doesn't require as many touchups as gesso because it doesn't shrink as it dries. You can also water it down a tad much easier. As someone who has used gesso in the past, take it from me that there is no place for it in a modeler's repertoire right now.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Gesso is garbage and only allowed if you live somewhere with 90%+ humidity and don't have the money for an airbrush and vallejo primer.

It's not allowed even then, you can brush on vallejo primer with a paintbrush and it's 100% better than gesso.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

did testors change the name of dullcote to clear coat? The barcode sticker on the cap still says dullcote but the can label doesn't and is now blue and white instead of black and gold or whatever.

Yep. It's really obnoxious because the Matte and Gloss cans look exactly the same now. One day I'm gonna mix them up when I'm sealing and waste a ton of time, but still be less frustrated than I would be if I was using Purity Seal or some poo poo.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

malal posted:

I'm not sure if this goes here or the DIY cosplay thread, so I'll cross-post.

Have some WIP pictures of my Ork Warbike.

For riding to tournaments and pick-up games, I have hard-bag ammo cans to carry my army.

for showing off, Gamesday, and conventions they are removable and will be replaced with Dakka Kannons.

Exhaust

Gas tank parts.

Front fender

Many, Many more hours to go.

Holy gently caress. :aaa:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This is the same method I use:

gently caress, I'm never priming black ever again!

These are the coolest Flash Gitz ever.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I only use liquid cement to melt off spurs of plastic from when I'm cleaning off mold lines. It's just way too fiddly for actually connecting things compared to Model Master.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Fingers McGee posted:

Cross posting, Whipped out E Sorch last week.

That finishes my last Khador that I have and now a full army pic.

This owns. :ussr:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

So I'm looking for a decent lasercut wood/mdf painting station yet most of the things I'm turning up with google searches are both far too expensive and shipped from Europe. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a webstore in the US that's good for that sort of thing?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

There are not ~any~ One of the reasons I have been musing about getting mine set up.

That's kind of what I was afraid of, which is a shame, because I've got a relatively small apartment, and if I could consolidate my hobby area into a workstation, I could end up having a lot more room by changing furniture. I just don't want to spend close to 100 dollars all told to do that.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

TheBlobThing posted:

I've had the superglue run out over the tuft, and that kind of looks like the bushes are covered in dried-up semen, so I only use PVA glue now.

There's someone reading this thread who has a bunch of Kingdom Death models, and you've planted a dangerous seed in their mind.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

No, army painter spray batches and colors can have pretty wild amounts of tooth to the paint, I had a bone spray that I couldn't get thinned down paint to stick to well even after hitting the primed model with dullcote.

e: so what I'm saying is try hitting the primed model with dullcote before you paint over it.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

You might experience a little bit of frosting on the grass. I don't use Testor's but I have had this happen with other varnishes. Just test it out on some scrap sprue like you would normally and you should be fine.

I used to glosscote and dullcote after applying static grass and I never had any problems. I don't do it anymore, though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

ijyt posted:

So I don't ruin my everything by googling it, what happens?

If you have two of them in your system and they decide to attract to each other between your intestines, you're gonna get some bad sepsis action going on.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

So, its reliably nice outside in South Dakota again, so I opened up my shop and made a couple new paint racks.

They hold 50 paints each, of the Vallejo / Reaper style, and take up very little room.
There is also enough room right underneath each paint for a label from a lablemaker.

I want some.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

What's Vallejo equivalent to dark angel green?

dark angel green

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Wait, they definitely had Leman Russes in 2nd, here's the first image in Codex: Imperial Guard.

Just gotta find one of those weirdo hatches.

The Exterminator parts didn't come out until 3rd though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

Is handbrushing Vallejo surface primer a good idea? I have a big bottle of it I use for airbrushing but I can't currently use my airbrush because its too cold outside and my indoor area is occupied, and I'd like to get my battlemages done up for a warmachine tournament at the end of the month.

You may need to thin it down a tad but it brushes on just fine in my experience.

• Locked thread