Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Aranan posted:

^^^
From that page I linked like 3 posts ago:

Yeah I know was just checking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Scurvy posted:

can always get the testors stuff in spray can, works pretty well.

True, except for it comes in teeny tiny cans (that I can find) or I could buy one bottle of future and use that very nice airbrush I have and do my entire army and my friends in a few settings.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Future smells delicious, your army will smell delicious

If I had the sense of smell I would probably agree.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

Taste it.

Can't really do that either. No sense of smell means my sense of taste is pretty much non existent. Which is why priming stuff all day never bothers me.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

Bathe in it.

bingo

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'm not trying to criticize this hobby at all, but why don't you guys make your own paints and brushes? Why spend money on them? Are you guys gay or what?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Somebody post some good kroot, I'm having trouble deciding how to do the skin tone on this one I've got on my desk

My pictures suck but a fast and easy way is half the yellow foundation/half knarloc green foundation for skin, bestial brown for the leather and wash all that poo poo devlan. Looks pretty decent and takes 20 minutes to do an entire squad.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I don't want fast and easy. This, like that karskin sgt, is a single model belonging to a friend of mine that I'm painting for giggles.

Also in the list:
  • GKT (storm bolter and halberd)
  • Ghazghkull
  • SM w/flamer (probably gonna paint it up in space wolves colors)

And of course my backlog of over 350 Tyranid and Eldar minis.

I hear you. I've been doing nothing but simple poo poo for the last few months because I'm painting my roommate's tau and it sucks so god drat much

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

When I drybrush something, should I just take a cheap, flat brush, dip it in the paint then rub it against some paper until almost all the paint is off the brush? Then press slightly hard against the model?

Yes cept the press hard part. You literally brush over the model kinda lightly but do it until you get the affect you want. Good drybrushing builds up kinda slow so you have control

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Pretty much. There is no one RIGHT way to do anything. Do what works for you. Experiment. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Aranan posted:

Watch out, tank! You're not even looking where you're going!! :ohdear:

So how big is a 1/72 scale tank?

About as big as your thumb

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Don't use the krylon primer use the paint

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Yes. At least I'm sure it exists because I have a can of it somewhere around here. Primer never worked for me, came out clear and hosed things up no matter how much I shook.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Just got a pot of menoth white base. Probably gonna use it for all my bleached bone from now on, then wash it with sepia. Hope it looks good

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

no :colbert:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

We don't have the highlight at my store god damnit

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'm definitely going to try some OSL on my Night Lord Chosen Chaos marines when I give them a bunch of plasma guns
I don't care how much plasma sucks in 5th edition I think it looks cool.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I spray in the garage. Roomates say it makes the whole house stink like poo poo but I don't care.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Start with Necron Abyss.

Necron Abyss: ruthless...

Also my next project is this guy:

I'm gonna do the robes a bit darker than that but otherwise it's mostly the same. Any tips on making the book's pages look weathered to hell? I actually care how he looks cause he's for Dark Heresy. Cept I need to put a flamer on him somewhere.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

MWH + sepia!

JESUS CHRIST PV is it really the answer to everything?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I know PV does his gold as Mithril Sepia Sepia but I was wondering other ways. Usually I would do it burnished gold then wash it with some sepia but I think I saw a recipe that was

scorched brown-gold-mithril+gold highlights.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What other good ways are there?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I also like the idea of rhino hooves for the back feet. I have to iron out the kinks, first. Suggestions and ideas welcome.

I forgot how good you are with that poo poo. I think it looks great so far.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

youtube has a bunch of better tutorials than I can make, since I have no vid camera because Im a plebian

How would you, say, highlight black power armor

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

How do I paint rope and gray hair

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Nice. Last bit: How do I paint wood

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

GoodBee posted:

Are you talking about mixing them or just highlights?

mix em, 2:1 gold/silver then 1:1. if you're feeling sassy do a final highlight of pure silver

E:burn in hades bhsman

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

dpack_1 posted:

Comments?

How'd you do the stone?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

That's what I thought but I had to be sure. It looks very good, I'm slowly putting together a High Elf army too so I look forward to living vicariously off your updates

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

dpack_1 posted:

The day's update on the dragon

All I can say is that it looks great. A friend of mine used to base his Dark Angels by putting down ballast and priming it with the rest of the model and dry brushing it red/washing it black and dry brushing it red again. I imagine sand isn't hard, just find some or buy some that the train modelers use

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

holy loving poo poo

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

God help me if I got the money to do a Tzeentch daemon army cause I love their stuff the best. I dislike how humanoid most of the daemons are made out to be and like the big writhing masses of confusion and teeth better.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

A Dodge Viper is just a toy for men in a midlife crisis or who have small penises. Calling Warhams toys nothing to be ashamed of. :c00lbutt:

For all the money you could spend on a viper, think of the hams

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Aranan posted:

Out of all the materials to make a wet palette with, you had to go for the one that could give you salmonella? :gonk:

It's not like he's EATING IT

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'm about ready to make a wet pallet too. I'm loving tired of putting out gobs of paint and maybe using a quarter of it before it dries.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

How can I make the chainsword and bolter on my Chaos SM look good?

What's your paint scheme?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

That recipe sounds pretty good.

And no, my guys aren't plague marines. Just red/black/gold Chaos Marines. I will probably be getting some plague marines really, really soon, though.

Teeth and metal bits on chainsword: chainmail
Housing or whatever: The same red color that you use

Wash the metal in baal red

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Scurvy posted:

so i got bored painting my last honorguard and decided i wanted to do some converting. Im doing a space wolves army and really love the story for Bjorn the Fel-handed. After a whole night of converting and assembling i submit for approval
Eldest, Trueclaw, Last of the company of Russ Bjorn the fel-handed!

I like it so far but I'd lose one of the wolf pelts on the front. I can dig the whole wolf motif but a little bit goes a wrong way. Just my opinion though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Morham posted:

Took a couple more photos, I'm a pretty bad photographer but I guess practice makes perfect so I'm sure I'll get better. This is the same knight from before but I took the other side and a close up of the face. I've noticed some little splodges of paint that shouldn't be there since I took these, and also the fact that my models are covered in dust.

But enough excuses, I'm pretty happy with this guy IRL, but my painting has definately improved since I did him. Its pretty sunny today so I could probably take some more pictures later...anyway thoughts?

I really like this! The cross on the lower shield is a bit wonky looking but otherwise it's awesome! I guess I'm just a sucker for christian iconography and knights.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I find my back winds up really hurting when I'm modeling/painting. Any tips for workspace set-up, so I can no long have a future tolling bells in France?

Get a nice comfy chair with arm rests so you can prop your arms up on that sometimes instead of leaning over your desk? I've got a bad back too. Stretching each morning and night helps a bit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

Moddin' a Carnifex into a Tervigon ain't easy but it's necessary.

dude gross

• Locked thread