Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nm posted:

Can you imagine how beat a mustang GT gets as a rental car? I had a Challenger R/T rental car once, and it was already showing some wear.

I always wonder whether the rental car stereotype really applies rental Mustangs/Corvettes/etc. Like, I imagine the typical Corvette rental customer is a guy in his 50s/60s on vacation who putters around in it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Residency Evil posted:

I always wonder whether the rental car stereotype really applies rental Mustangs/Corvettes/etc. Like, I imagine the typical Corvette rental customer is a guy in his 50s/60s on vacation who putters around in it. :shrug:

A lot of them are europeans who want to drive a muscle car.
I also have seen a few on racetracks (a very bad idea)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I can give you one first hand datapoint on how I treated the silver convertible ecoboost mustang I rented on Honolulu. And if I was even CLOSE to 1/4 of the typical usage you DO NOT want to buy one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just gonna leave this here.

https://i.imgur.com/EHUjSrj.mp4

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

They're accurate. Carvana is burning venture capital money to "build a brand". They bought my mom's Kia Soul for $750 over KBB. A bunch of people here have sold to them. It's stupid easy.

I just ran my truck though their quote process. $33,037. That's about what I'd expect selling private party, except carvana is zero hassle.

Update: I "accepted" Carvana's offer of $37.5k for the truck (I paid $39k for it new, MSRP was $50k) but they don't come to pick it up until Friday the 21st - so still time to back out.

Still not sure....it's like "free money" :homebrew: in some respects and it appears new trucks are arriving again, so this is definitely a temporary used truck premium right now. I am definitely not a fan of the new Silverados or anything else - and not really wanting to go through the hassle of buying another one next year - so there's that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nm posted:

Motronic posted:

I can give you one first hand datapoint on how I treated the silver convertible ecoboost mustang I rented on Honolulu. And if I was even CLOSE to 1/4 of the typical usage you DO NOT want to buy one.

lol ok yeah I was wrong.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

This VINWiki video seems topical, I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/b8hYh8YE2KM

(17 mins but worth it)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I assume the thread title includes cars obviously used as Ubers? It's bizarre seein current model year cars with 40,000 km on them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I assume the thread title includes cars obviously used as Ubers? It's bizarre seein current model year cars with 40,000 km on them.

Yes.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Sup I'm a Canuck looking to buy a rock-solid standard 4-cylinder with good fuel econ for around $6000 CAD ($4500 USD).

I'm interested in this 2011 Honda Civic SE with 181,000 KM (112,000 Miles) because it looks clean and comes with two sets of tires with OEM rims.

I'd get it inspected before buying and all that, but what're the chances this thing is going to need a new clutch pretty soon with that kind of mileage? He wants $5750 which is about the KBB value.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sure, an ex-rental might look cheap, but you never know if somebody took it out and covered it in compression artifacts.

Do you want a car that "might or might not" have been put through the MPEG wringer?

Didn't think so. Never buy an ex-rental.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Grimes posted:

Sup I'm a Canuck looking to buy a rock-solid standard 4-cylinder with good fuel econ for around $6000 CAD ($4500 USD).

I'm interested in this 2011 Honda Civic SE with 181,000 KM (112,000 Miles) because it looks clean and comes with two sets of tires with OEM rims.

I'd get it inspected before buying and all that, but what're the chances this thing is going to need a new clutch pretty soon with that kind of mileage? He wants $5750 which is about the KBB value.

Unless he was particularly hard on it I would not expect it to need a new clutch in any mileage that would be "pretty soon". I would wager between 150k and 200k miles, personally. Overall that sounds like a perfectly reasonable vehicle.

Space Gopher posted:

Sure, an ex-rental might look cheap, but you never know if somebody took it out and covered it in compression artifacts.

Do you want a car that "might or might not" have been put through the MPEG wringer?

:golfclap:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Also, don't buy cars that have been doing donuts on Mars. All that iron-rich dust promotes rust.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

The only copy of the video I had was one I sent via messenger and had to redownload it. :shobon:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'll probably be buying my thread-suggested Prius in the coming weeks. While talking to Carmax, they asked if I wanted gap insurance or coverage or whatever it's called. I looked it up and it seems it's insurance to cover the difference in value between the totaled value and the value of the loans. So, if a car values at 10K has 12k left to pay and is destroyed, without it the owner continues to be liable for those 2K. These insurance payments provide protection to offset that.

In my situation, I am probably going to put a lot down on this car, to get a loan close to the minimum they will finance. To me, that makes me feel like the car will not lose that much value compared to the remaining debt; if it's already 50% payed off, it will likely not lose quite that much value if it's used / more than 5 years old. Honestly, iIt sounds like it's a means to obfuscate the total cost and gently coax people into feeling better about buying high-value cars that border on what they probably can't afford. It isn't worth it if you're in a situation where you could consider buying the car outright since the downside of not having it is reduced. This is all outside of the *gestures wildly at everything* that means I won't honestly be driving it that often anyway, thereby reducing the chances of it even coming up at all.

Am I wrong about any of that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don’t buy gap unless you are buying a new, expensive car with a steep depreciation curve with very little money down. Think like, buying a new Audi A6. Even then it’s probably better to self insure.

You’re not really correct about the purpose of the insurance but it doesn’t really matter, it’s not useful for your situation.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Worst case I've heard that gap insurance is much more affordable through your normal insurance company than it is through the dealer. But yes if you're putting 50% down you shouldn't ever be upside down on the loan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gap insurance is for situations where you total your new luxury car in the first month of ownership and it's technically used so you're out like 5 grand.

I get it because my credit union offers it for ~$60 and I put the bare minimum down when I finance. Even then, it's debatable whether it's worth it.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Worst case I've heard that gap insurance is much more affordable through your normal insurance company than it is through the dealer. But yes if you're putting 50% down you shouldn't ever be upside down on the loan.

Check with your regular car insurance provider when you switch the policy, when we bought our last car it was ridiculously cheap through them, especially compared to the dealership.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nm posted:

also someone broke the cannonball record in a rented mustang

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My car was totaled a few weeks ago and i’ve found a nice replacement. Managed to haggle the price down a couple grand telling them I’d be paying cash. Now that we’re doing the paperwork they offered again to finance it. Initially they came back with 3.7% which i immediately turned down and now they’re offering 0%. This is an actual dealership and probably doing their own internal finance department. Any red flags I should be looking for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what's the car, what's the price, who's the finance company for the 0%, if it's manufacturer incentive are you giving up cash discounts to take the 0%, etc etc

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sounds like there is more room to haggle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Check with your regular car insurance provider when you switch the policy, when we bought our last car it was ridiculously cheap through them, especially compared to the dealership.
Yeah. The only time you should use the dealer gap insurance is when you've rolled up so much of your last car note into this one that you're financing much, much more than the car is worth. Most car insurance policies top out at maybe 125%, which is fine for almost everyone except people making terrible financial choices.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's the car, what's the price, who's the finance company for the 0%, if it's manufacturer incentive are you giving up cash discounts to take the 0%, etc etc

it’s a 2019 ecoboost premium with the interior premium package. price was just under kbb’s suggestion of $27.8k and i talked them down to $25k. it’s being financed by ford themselves. i established the price first and didn’t bring up financing until everything else was settled. they tried to offer me 3.7% for three years at first and when i rejected that they offered 0%

edit: *mustang w/ 18k miles

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 10, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Apparently Ford Motor Credit is extending this to *everyone* that meets very basic criteria. Mystery solved I guess

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

IOwnCalculus posted:

Worst case I've heard that gap insurance is much more affordable through your normal insurance company than it is through the dealer.

This is generally correct. It's not uncommon for gap insurance to cost a quarter as much through auto insurance as it does through dealers/lenders directly. So if you're in that edge case where it has a decent chance at being useful, ask your auto insurer if they offer it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Apparently Ford Motor Credit is extending this to *everyone* that meets very basic criteria. Mystery solved I guess

I mean, if the out the door price makes you happy, I'd have a hard time saying no to a 0.0% loan.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just wish Ford made anything I remotely want anymore. If they had brought the new generation Fiesta ST to the US I would trade mine in for one in a heartbeat.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, if the out the door price makes you happy, I'd have a hard time saying no to a 0.0% loan.

Yep. I kept pouring over the financing agreement to make sure there wasn't anything fucky going on and I could tell it was starting to frustrate the guy who just wanted me to sign the drat thing. Like dude you have to empathize that someone would be extremely suspicious of this, give me some slack

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Proposed Budget: Would love $10K or lower because then I could just pay cash, willing to go up to $20K.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Four-door sedan or a two-door, I’m a basic bitch
How will you be using the car? I’d like to use it for a road trip now and then, but other than that I live in the city and don’t drive very often.
What aspects are most important to you? Ultimately I’m asking because OP is a bit older and I don’t have any car pals who can tell me what a regular trustworthy four-door is these days outside of the usual Toyota and Honda milieus, but of possible interest is that I like things that are kind of gauche. The last car I drove extensively was a bright red 2000 Honda Prelude whose side mirror I broke and never fixed. So if there’s anything kind of fun and janky I should keep an eye out for in this price range I’d be chuffed to hear about it

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 11, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doc Fission posted:

How will you be using the car? I’d like to use it for a road trip now and then, but other than that I live in the city and don’t drive very often.
Prius

quote:

So if there’s anything kind of fun and janky I should keep an eye out for in this price range I’d be chuffed to hear about it
Mazda 3 6 Miata?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 12, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hmm, stranger stuff...

Hyundai Veloster comes to mind. Kia Soul, although not a sedan. Maybe a Beetle, the fundamental platform is pretty reliable (although not at Honda/Yota levels) and they're interesting. Civic Coupe? drat, cars are boring as poo poo these days.

Otherwise the Mazda3 is a classic recommendation for someone whose tastes are a little bit more refined than Toyota Corolla.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hmm, stranger stuff...

Hyundai Veloster comes to mind. Kia Soul, although not a sedan. Maybe a Beetle, the fundamental platform is pretty reliable (although not at Honda/Yota levels) and they're interesting. Civic Coupe? drat, cars are boring as poo poo these days.

Otherwise the Mazda3 is a classic recommendation for someone whose tastes are a little bit more refined than Toyota Corolla.

When I had to buy a car IMMEDIATELY the first used car they showed me on the lot was a Veloster. I hadn't researched them at all so I passed on it but the more I read the more they seem pretty cool?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

When I had to buy a car IMMEDIATELY the first used car they showed me on the lot was a Veloster. I hadn't researched them at all so I passed on it but the more I read the more they seem pretty cool?

Veloster = lame
Veloster Turbo = alright, I guess
Veloster N = :c00l:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
5th gen Camaro

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Finally got around to buying the people mover I had asked about awhile ago. Ended up going with thread favorite Honda Odyssey. The Costco price on a new 2020 EX-L seemed to be really really good. MSRP was a touch over $39,000. And the price we got was $33,6xx.

Cross shopping the Traverse, Atlas, and Odyssey, it was really kind of amazing how much space the van really had in it. Especially with the rear seat up.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

Proposed Budget: Would love $10K or lower because then I could just pay cash, willing to go up to $20K.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Four-door sedan or a two-door, I’m a basic bitch
What aspects are most important to you? Ultimately I’m asking because OP is a bit older and I don’t have any car pals who can tell me what a regular trustworthy four-door is these days outside of the usual Toyota and Honda milieus, but of possible interest is that I like things that are kind of gauche. The last car I drove extensively was a bright red 2000 Honda Prelude whose side mirror I broke and never fixed. So if there’s anything kind of fun and janky I should keep an eye out for in this price range I’d be chuffed to hear about it

You said fun and janky, so Fiat 500 Abarth. The Nissan Juke in Nismo trim is definitely weird, and maybe could be fun too? The Nissan Cube and Toyota C-HR are weird but not fun. The second-gen Cadillac CTS Coupe is kinda funky too.

For something that is fun but not weird, there's the Nissan 350Z/370Z. If you need 4 doors, then look at the Z's 4-door sister, the Infiniti G35/G37.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Orvin posted:

Finally got around to buying the people mover I had asked about awhile ago.
Nice! But is it the Pali or Odyssey that has a bug in the infotainment that locks you out of, like, temp controls until you turn the car off???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Pontiac G8 GT