Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Oh yeah, you don't have to convince me that I paid a king's ransom for the experience. Car is in really good condition with great mileage for its age at least. I still have a week to change my mind and I still might.

It seems like that's either the going rate or not far off. I'm just shocked at the price in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Care for any storytime on what that experience was like?

It wasn't that interesting, honestly. I drove one of those white tow trucks you see in the ads, picking up and delivering vehicles. I did work for a new car dealership for several years before unfortunate circumstances (i.e. the pandemic) made me take the Carvana job because I had bills to pay and at the time I wasn't in a position to pick and choose.

I think the main thing I disliked about the job was the inconsistent shape the cars were in, though I suppose this is an issue to a greater or lesser degree in any used car operation. The cars we had at our hub were doled out to us from a central inspection facility a couple of states away, where they were supposed to do a full multi-point inspection and make sure the vehicle is up to standards, that's also where they take the pictures that go up on the Carvana website where they helpfully point out any major imperfections. I got the impression they were pretty fast and loose with their inspecting, quite often we found stuff that should have been caught before the vehicle was sent out - check engine lights, headlight bulbs that needed replacing, rust spots, bald tires, scratches and wheel rash that no one had noticed apparently, and so on.

It was mainly this, and the sometimes extreme levels of knock-on stress this caused because of delayed and rescheduled deliveries, that made me quit. You just had no idea what to expect when you showed up in the morning, some days were smooth sailing, other days were complete nightmares of broken cars and irate customers. Might have stayed if they had paid a bit better, but the rollercoaster levels of stress and risking life and limb in traffic on a daily basis wasn't worth the very tepid salary to me. There were lots of other minor annoyances that piled up as well, most not really noteworthy. At the time Carvana was still was in a process of aggressive expansion in the region I was in, and maybe that contributed to the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of operation that it sometimes felt like to me, at least compared to my previous experience in the car business.

I also got the impression that the median age at Carvana must be very, very young, or maybe walking into an office filled with very intense twentysomethings is just a great way to make me feel like I'm on death's door. The company also has this ultra peppy tech bro startup tone in everything they say and do which just makes me feel so very tired. Pretty extreme employee turnover as well, saw plenty of people come and go in just the few months I was there.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 19, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks, pretty much what I was expecting! Hope you are happier now with your current situation. The culture aspects you described sound absolutely exhausting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The company also has this ultra peppy tech bro startup tone in everything they say and do which just makes me feel so very tired.

Well, I imagine there's a little less pep in that step for the folks who are left.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carvana-layoffs-2500-workers-zoom-email/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, I imagine there's a little less pep in that step for the folks who are left.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carvana-layoffs-2500-workers-zoom-email/

But ZOOM is the MODERN way to do things!!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Thanks, pretty much what I was expecting! Hope you are happier now with your current situation. The culture aspects you described sound absolutely exhausting.

I now have a job that doesn't involve having to deal with customers, so yes I would say my situation has improved dramatically.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What's AI opinion on the Acura ILX or Honda Insight? These are in my budget and seems cheaper than I expected?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I just bought a used 2019 Toyota Corolla SE with a 13k down payment and financing at $450 a month with 5% APR 36 months. I probably could have gotten a cheaper extended warranty if I went through the manufacturer; the one offered by the dealer was 3.6k.

I am practicing driving too; so far no more smacking car side mirrors.

E: 45k miles on car 1 owner minor side damage

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 19, 2022

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's AI opinion on the Acura ILX or Honda Insight? These are in my budget and seems cheaper than I expected?

My wife likes her Insight. I mostly like it when I drive it, though it's not exactly fun to drive. My only real gripe is that the "e-CVT" enters a power trough somewhere around 50mph. Merging onto the highway can be a little stressful.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

quarantinethepast posted:

I just bought a used 2019 Toyota Corolla SE with a 13k down payment and financing at $450 a month with 5% APR 36 months. I probably could have gotten a cheaper extended warranty if I went through the manufacturer; the one offered by the dealer was 3.6k.

I am practicing driving too; so far no more smacking car side mirrors.

E: 45k miles on car 1 owner minor side damage

Ok this has to be a troll at this point. There’s no way someone paid 29k for a 45k mile Corolla

poo poo you got robbed.

Also lol at a 3.6k extended warranty on one of the most reliable vehicle appliances made.

Like drat they saw you coming a mile away

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

skipdogg posted:

Ok this has to be a troll at this point. There’s no way someone paid 29k for a 45k mile Corolla

poo poo you got robbed.

Also lol at a 3.6k extended warranty on one of the most reliable vehicle appliances made.

Like drat they saw you coming a mile away

Actually I haven't purchased the car yet, I put down $5k on credit and told them I'll give them the other $8k next week. I can back out and apparently that would be a good idea.

E: also my numbers were off, the car without warranty is like $24k.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 19, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't get the warranty.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MSRP on a new corolla SE is 25k. why are you buying used? am I missing something? you could halve that interest rate by buying new and not be buying a car with an accident on it. and you get a normal warranty you don't have to pay 3.6 k or even any money for.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

ethanol posted:

MSRP on a new corolla SE is 25k. why are you buying used?

You need to add an extra 3k on those msrps. I'm saying 24k after you add on all the extra poo poo like taxes and registration (except the warranty).

E: yeah I'll see if I can remove the warranty, should have trusted my gut on that.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 19, 2022

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

You need to add an extra 3k on those msrps. I'm saying 24k after you add on all the extra poo poo like taxes and registration (except the warranty).

E: yeah I'll see if I can remove the warranty, should have trusted my gut on that.

Why are you going to make us all do math on purchase price of your used car? Like I don’t understand why you’d tell us all the other details but that.

And what’s your sales tax? 3k in fees on a 21k car? seems excessive.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 19, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Why are you going to make us all do math on purchase price of your used car? Like I don’t understand why you’d tell us all the other details but that.

Ok, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. The car's original KBB price was $19,996. If there's some other detail I'm missing I'll just say I'm an idiot and let the thread move on.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Ok, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. The car's original KBB price was $19,996. If there's some other detail I'm missing I'll just say I'm an idiot and let the thread move on.

I don’t want you to think any of us are being snarky just to rib you but I do want you to think about how all of this interacts with your financial well-being. More info means better interpretation. Generally this thread is going to focus on total costs and steer you towards the best financial outcome. Sounds like you are already thinking more about the different purchasing aspects which is good, but also realizing that any dealership isn’t acting in your best interest is an important lesson.

All that to say keep posting and asking questions! Buying a car can be stressful or confusing in the best of times let alone today.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ethanol posted:

MSRP on a new corolla SE is 25k. why are you buying used? am I missing something? you could halve that interest rate by buying new and not be buying a car with an accident on it. and you get a normal warranty you don't have to pay 3.6 k or even any money for.

This might be the goon that said they had just gotten their license, were in NYC and they went for a drive and rubbed, hit or otherwise made contact with other vehicles like 3 times within a few hours.
THey were going to buy something new, but everyone said "don't buy new, you'll just ruin it in no time".

Or maybe that was a different goon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't want to accuse that person of trolling because they will probably leave and it sounds like they really, really need more of this thread's help. But I thought it was pretty obvious that the point of saying "buy something used" was "buy something very, very cheap," not "buy a used car for the price of a new one."

You should be going on craigslist with a $5k budget and seeing what you can get with cash.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

This might be the goon that said they had just gotten their license, were in NYC and they went for a drive and rubbed, hit or otherwise made contact with other vehicles like 3 times within a few hours.
THey were going to buy something new, but everyone said "don't buy new, you'll just ruin it in no time".

Or maybe that was a different goon.

It is the same goon.

KillHour posted:

I don't want to accuse that person of trolling because they will probably leave and it sounds like they really, really need more of this thread's help.

The help they were already given was accurate: don't buy any car, don't drive by yourself. Get more lessons/figure out why you keep hitting things.

This is not the advice they want to hear so we're back to goon in a well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Probably a better idea to buy something a bit cheaper but Toyota safety sense on standard on newer cars does have beeps and whistles when you make mistakes like almost back into things. Might be a good idea

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I rented a Corolla and then drove from Seattle to Portland and back on I-5 during a rainstorm. Normally I'd be exhausted but their lane keeping + variable (?) cruise control made it a snap. I think all Toyotas 2019 and newer get these features by default. Huge quality of life. Arrive with minimal exhaustion

Probably good for urban stuff too didn't really test that

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Pretty much, except I live in the bay area and the events I described happened over the course of several days and ~150 miles of driving. I've been going out driving more since then and have had no more incidents, although it probably still is likely that I'll get into an accident.

I'm looking to buy used, although I'm also not looking to buy a bucket lacking useful safety features that might help me avoid an accident in the first place.

I can look on Craiglist and see what there is while I'm waiting to finish the purchase on this Corolla.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Contact with another object in a car ought to be a once-every-few years event. 150 miles is yikes

We have a super tiny urban parking garage space and an oversized full size car and in two years I clipped the concrete post in the garage pulling in, leaving a dime sized scratch on the rear bumper. Before that, about 15 years ago in downtown a new driver got nervous and weaved into my lane and brushed into my passenger side

Also I guess last Christmas as Uber eats driver tried to cut me off and clipped my rear view mirror

Get the $5000 Corolla, wear your seatbelt, get liability only insurance, replace it after your first Big wreck. Don't drive on wet roads (not a problem in the bay area)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"I only cause a collision once every 50 miles" is A VERY BAD THING. That mileage is not a mitigating factor. It's VERY BAD.

You will not "get into an accident." You will continue to hit things with your car.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it is possible that someone totally new to driving will, actually, improve in skill over time and miles accumulated.

I didn't hit anything while learning to drive, though.

I agree that OP should get a used car and not one that costs $20k. However, the idea that there's anything driveable and reasonably safe for sale in the SF bay area for $5k is a stretch. OP should not buy a salvage-titled junker. I'd start at $10k and even then that's mostly cars with 200k+ miles and poor cosmetics, not something anyone actually wants.

Used car prices are absurd right now.

e. actually I changed my mind, OP buy this:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/union-city-1984-toyota-pickup-sr5-2wd/7485765439.html

or this
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/union-city-2007-hyundai-accent-2dr/7485720861.html

or this
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/san-jose-2000-toyota-corolla-ce-sedan/7485031539.html

I guess there's options at $6k! I wonder if these have sold already, it's been literally hours.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 19, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Buy the Hyundai accent.

You nickname it the "Hyundai accident"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pretty much, except I live in the bay area and the events I described happened over the course of several days and ~150 miles of driving. I've been going out driving more since then and have had no more incidents, although it probably still is likely that I'll get into an accident.

I'm looking to buy used, although I'm also not looking to buy a bucket lacking useful safety features that might help me avoid an accident in the first place.

I can look on Craiglist and see what there is while I'm waiting to finish the purchase on this Corolla.

I'll sell you a 2014 Accord Hybrid for 13,000 and then you'll have $5,000 in your pocket to cover your first 3 or 4 fender benders.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

or this
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/san-jose-2000-toyota-corolla-ce-sedan/7485031539.html

I guess there's options at $6k! I wonder if these have sold already, it's been literally hours.

Buy this car :f5:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Quarantine, cancel that deal with extreme prejudice and listen to Leper but instead buy this car for $8k:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/sunnyvale-2010-honda-fit-hatchback/7485709040.html

Go get a loan at a credit union first.

comedy option for $2k (with $7k deferred maintenance)
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/san-jose-2004-bmw-325i-197k-passed/7485751786.html

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 19, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Honda Fit is maybe the most beloved compact car built in the last 20 years, that's a good option if you want a nice car and to feel bad when you scratch it

BMW is lol. Plan on $600 to replace the coolant expansion tank

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I also saw this:
https://showroom.auction123.com/autonation_western_w5/inventory/9889/2003/Toyota/Corolla/1NXBR32E93Z115391.html?leadsource=Craigslist

There are options

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Says it's a manual. Not sure if that matters to you

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Automatic would probably be better for me.

Thanks everyone for looking, y'all definitely didn't need to do that. I'll try to follow up with some of these.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One nice thing about driving a manual is that it forces you to pay attention more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah about the third time you stall out the engine coming to a stop light/sign you realize you need to be a lot more tuned in

Comedy option: buy a car with 4 wheel drum brakes and no anti lock brakes, and 150' panic stopping distance at 35mph. Not being able to suddenly slam on the brakes and solve a problem you hadn't planned for makes you a much more focused driver since now you're having to plan 30+ seconds of driving than you did before

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have never been in more near misses than driving a stick poorly for a week. Stalling just makes me angry and you should never drive angry.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My wife likes her Insight. I mostly like it when I drive it, though it's not exactly fun to drive. My only real gripe is that the "e-CVT" enters a power trough somewhere around 50mph. Merging onto the highway can be a little stressful.

Looks like it's faster than a Prius. As for the ILX - I guess it's just a overpriced Civic?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I just bought a new white Honda Insight touring for $32985 (msrp is $32100 in my area). They charged extra for some dumb poo poo like permaplate interior/exterior protection coverage and some other thief/battery bullshit. At least i got some all weather mats, 2 years oil charge and a cargo tray thrown in.

In Washington where I live its 10.3% sales tax so after docs and fees (another $615) or so it was $37,000 OTD.

Buying car in WA sucks with the mark up and taxes but my Touring should be here next week. Cant wait as I havent had a car for awhile.

Gonna get a roof wrap and tint on this thang when it arrives for extra style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Green Gloves posted:

I just bought a new white Honda Insight touring for $32985 (msrp is $32100 in my area). They charged extra for some dumb poo poo like permaplate interior/exterior protection coverage and some other thief/battery bullshit. At least i got some all weather mats, 2 years oil charge and a cargo tray thrown in.

In Washington where I live its 10.3% sales tax so after docs and fees (another $615) or so it was $37,000 OTD.

Buying car in WA sucks with the mark up and taxes but my Touring should be here next week. Cant wait as I havent had a car for awhile.

Gonna get a roof wrap and tint on this thang when it arrives for extra style.

Nice whip congrats. Did you try and decline the extras? As has been discussed extensively in AI, any dealer accessories tied into electrical gives me the heeby jeebies.

Also I assume you are aware 2022 will be the last model year of Insight.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 22, 2022