Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Green Gloves posted:

In Washington where I live its 10.3% sales tax

Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I thought NJs kinda sucked but holy crap.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Inner Light posted:

Also I assume you are aware 2022 will be the last model year of Insight.

Was this one never successful? Personally, I'm surprised it didn't take off. I'd totally buy a better prius.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ethanol posted:

Jesus christ

Somewhat offset by no state income tax

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ethanol posted:

Jesus christ

My economically stunted county in Kansas is 9.7%

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My friend has one it’s fine. I would get a Prius instead. My other friend still has the old electric one haha

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

Jesus christ

21% VAT :thumbsup:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Nice whip congrats. Did you try and decline the extras? As has been discussed extensively in AI, any dealer accessories tied into electrical gives me the heeby jeebies.

Also I assume you are aware 2022 will be the last model year of Insight.

I tried to remove them but nope. Almost all dealers in my area do it some even charge 2k extra over msrp. At first they were charging 38k OTD to which I said 36 OTD but I settled on 37k which was still better than some dealers.

Since they are going to cease production soon. Getting what I wanted a white on black touring was gonna get difficult. Some other dealers had some but a lot of them u were looking at july / august / sept shipments.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tyro posted:

Somewhat offset by no state income tax

Yeah texas was typically 7.5-8.75% depending on where you lived and if your city was part of a public transport system that allowed an extra 0.25% tax hike over the state-limited 8.50% overall maximum tax. Property tax was ~4.something percent

California had a state income tax of ~6.5-11% depending on your tax bracket, but property taxes are 1.1% and the longer you own the property the smaller your effective property tax rate is, since the state rate is limited to a max hike each year of 2%, pegged to inflation, and they can't retroactively raise the rate for years inflation is less than 2%, which means stuff like inflation at 8% means you're saving 6% off the tax increase that year, and that savings is cumulative. Really good deal for landlords if they can hang on to a property until/through a period of serious inflation (now)

21% VAT seems high but what's your effective tax rate for someone making $75k usd? europe seems about on par with the US except you guys funnel all your tax revenue into stuff like public health instead of defense

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 22, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

21% VAT seems high but what's your effective tax rate for someone making $75k usd? europe seems about on par with the US except you guys funnel all your tax revenue into stuff like public health instead of defense
Varies by country obviously, 75k would be a lot of money here, but a while ago I did a rough comparison between NY and Germany and they were shockingly close once you include all the local taxes, insurances and so on. I think it was about 35% effective rate. You can find various calculators online if you want to play around. VAT's still on top of anything you spend though. But yeah... it's mostly worth it. Even though I just came back from NYC to a much poorer area (like 1/3rd income) it just feels way less hosed up in terms of random crazies, homeless people and criminals.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So I cancelled selling my car to Carvana like I said a couple pages ago. Now I'm trying to sell privately, and I took some pictures and everything.

Would it be okay if I post a write up here for critique before putting it on Craigslist/Autotrader/Cargurus, or is that more for the marketplace thread in A.I.?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So for these cars on craigslist, would it be reasonable to have a mechanic look at it before I buy it? Assuming the current owner lets me do that.

E: Given that I'm an inexperienced driver it would be easy for me to miss something even if I bring a manual and a list of problem areas to check. And no guys I'm not trying to troll, I'm just a moron.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 23, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

gently caress it :justpost:

Imgur link

quote:

Price: $16,700

Mileage: 74,500

Selling my Gen 2 2012 Mazdaspeed 3. 100% stock, never been tracked, autocrossed, or otherwise raced. No mechanical issues, warning lights, or codes. Brakes, fluids, and clutch etc. all in very good shape.

Currently has a set of Continental Extremecontact Sports on factory 18'' wheels with ~4000 miles on them.

INCLUDED FREE is a set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on 16'' steel wheels with at least 2 more seasons left on them.

Carfax and full service history available on request.

Price is firm, and cash or check heavily preferred. Please be able to operate a manual transmission for test drives."

How does it look? I'm only really worried about the slightly foggy headlights and maybe pricing it a little too high?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

quarantinethepast posted:

So for these cars on craigslist, would it be reasonable to have a mechanic look at it before I buy it? Assuming the current owner lets me do that.

E: Given that I'm an inexperienced driver it would be easy for me to miss something even if I bring a manual and a list of problem areas to check. And no guys I'm not trying to troll, I'm just a moron.

You should always have a trusted mechanic look over a car before you buy it (It's called a PPI), and it's a red flag if the seller doesn't want to let you. More experienced car buyers can tell you the details of getting one set up, but the PPI is a good and necessary thing to do.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hello. What are the current go-tos for "no-hassle selling services?" I have a modern used car that I bought last year, but I can't drive it any longer because it had a strong cleanser fume problem in the cabin that I wasn't aware of when I bought it that was burning my lungs and further complicating my health problems. I did what I could to clean the cabin myself and the car is much safer now but at this point my health has deteriorated to the point I don't feel I can afford any more contact with it. Right now I feel like burying myself in another lease is a bad idea so I don't want to trade it in, just sell it. What are my best options?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Imgur link

How does it look? I'm only really worried about the slightly foggy headlights and maybe pricing it a little too high?

This looks solid to me, I especially like that you have service history on request. The manual transmission should mean cheaper maintenance. Is that price in line with KBB/Carmax etc.?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

This looks solid to me, I especially like that you have service history on request. The manual transmission should mean cheaper maintenance. Is that price in line with KBB/Carmax etc.?

with all due respect: what the gently caress are you doing giving advice in this thread

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Imgur link

Please get the car professionally cleaned and detailed before taking pictures. It will be worth it. That shifter boot looks nasty, for instance. It's also easy to fix the hazing on the headlights and you should do that, as it will earn you at least a few hundred dollars on the sale.

Your pictures are very cramped. You don't have to be a professional but try to do better (or pay a professional!) Drive the car somewhere that isn't your driveway in good light with good shooting angles and get a comprehensive set of pictures. Go on BaT to get a sense of what people want, especially with an enthusiast car. You don't need to go full BaT but you are missing at minimum:

1) common rust spots (inside of wheel wells, door sills, etc) since you live in a winter tires place
2) underbody
3) under hood
4) shot of radio display powered on
5) shot of each of the wheels (incl winter wheels) up close for curbing, rash, etc
6) i'd be tempted to post a big manila folder of receipts if you have the full service history. if it's been serviced at specific places (local Mazda store + so and so's garage) post the names if they are reputable.

You may have some better luck with posting a car like this on BaT / Carsnbids or a Mazdaspeed enthusiast forum. Or in AI. Check Mazdaspeed enthusiast forums to see what the common questions are and try to preempt them in your posting.

edit: you also don't describe the car. you make the buyer do the work of What is the car, does it have bluetooth audio? does it have heated seats? does it have automatic climate control? SELL THE CAR in the description and don't make people do a bunch of work to find out about it. This obviously doesn't apply if you are just going to post on a Mazdaspeed forum but if you are going to general public you HAVE to make this easy. At least link to the edmunds.com features list for the model.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Please get the car professionally cleaned and detailed before taking pictures. It will be worth it. That shifter boot looks nasty, for instance. It's also easy to fix the hazing on the headlights and you should do that, as it will earn you at least a few hundred dollars on the sale.

Your pictures are very cramped. You don't have to be a professional but try to do better (or pay a professional!) Drive the car somewhere that isn't your driveway in good light with good shooting angles and get a comprehensive set of pictures. Go on BaT to get a sense of what people want, especially with an enthusiast car. You don't need to go full BaT but you are missing at minimum:

1) common rust spots (inside of wheel wells, door sills, etc) since you live in a winter tires place
2) underbody
3) under hood
5) shot of each of the wheels (incl winter wheels) up close for curbing, rash, etc
6) i'd be tempted to post a big manila folder of receipts if you have the full service history. if it's been serviced at specific places (local Mazda store + so and so's garage) post the names if they are reputable.

You may have some better luck with posting a car like this on BaT / Carsnbids or a Mazdaspeed enthusiast forum. Or in AI. Check Mazdaspeed enthusiast forums to see what the common questions are and try to preempt them in your posting.

edit: you also don't describe the car. you make the buyer do the work of What is the car, does it have bluetooth audio? does it have heated seats? does it have automatic climate control? SELL THE CAR in the description and don't make people do a bunch of work to find out about it. This obviously doesn't apply if you are just going to post on a Mazdaspeed forum but if you are going to general public you HAVE to make this easy. At least link to the edmunds.com features list for the model.

all good advice, I would personally be wanting to see some of the underbody of this car.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2) underbody
3) under hood

Thanks, I couldn't get around to it this weekend but I am definitely planning to get it detailed. I'll try to take more pictures too (totally forgot about getting a under hood shot :doh:) but I know jack poo poo about photography and lighting so don't expect much from that. The hazing I did get checked out but the place wanted $250 per headlight to replace, I assume there's a cheaper way to fix that (sandpaper??)

Here's an updated description, hopefully it's more on the right track:

quote:

Selling my Gen 2 2012 Mazdaspeed 3. 2 owners, 100% stock, never been tracked, autocrossed, or otherwise raced. No mechanical issues, warning lights, or codes. Brakes, fluids, and clutch etc. all in very good shape.

Features:

- 2.3L Turbocharged DOHC I4 engine.
- 263 HP @ 5,500 rpm and 280 lb/ft torque @ 3,000 rpm.
- 6-speed manual transmission.
- Front wheel drive with front limited-slip differential.
- Four-wheel independent suspension, MacPhreson struts in front, and multi-link in rear.
- Leather trimmed seats.
- Bose premium sound system with AM/FM radio, CD player, and Bluetooth.
- Dual-zone climate control with auto setting.
- All-weather floor mats and trunk liner.

Currently has a set of Continental Extremecontact Sports on factory 18'' wheels with ~4000 miles on them.

INCLUDED FREE is a set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on 16'' steel wheels with at least 2 more seasons left on them.

Carfax and full service history with, all work done at _______ in __________, ___ available on request.

Price is firm, and cash or check heavily preferred. Please be able to operate a manual transmission if you want a test drive.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 23, 2022

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They sell headlight reconditioning kits with polish and whatnot at any auto parts place or Amazon or whatever. I think the one I got used a drill to make it less arduous. Worked pretty good for me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, what this goon ^^^^^ said.

I got the meguiars stuff myself probably available at any parts store/walmart etc...

I'm sure there is someone going to chime in about how that kit sucks and THEY would only ever use a special boutique headlight restoration kit thats only available for sale for 3 weeks a year and they only sell 5 of those kits per year (for that three week period only!!) and there is a 7 year waiting list for it, but gently caress them. The parts store kits are fine, particularly if you're just trying to sell that poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

All the random headlight repair kits seem to work just fine. The difference is whether they stay clear or not, and that's all down to the coating that is (or isn't) put on them at the end. The Cerakote kits have a pretty durable final coating and are readily available online.

But yeah for selling it this doesn't matter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Thanks, I couldn't get around to it this weekend but I am definitely planning to get it detailed. I'll try to take more pictures too (totally forgot about getting a under hood shot :doh:) but I know jack poo poo about photography and lighting so don't expect much from that. The hazing I did get checked out but the place wanted $250 per headlight to replace, I assume there's a cheaper way to fix that (sandpaper??)

Here's an updated description, hopefully it's more on the right track:

Better, for sure. I'd probably lead with all the positives (service history at X). Instead of saying "no mechanical issues, warning lights, etc" probably better to spin that in a positive way. Also put the clean carfax info up here (assuming the carfax is clean...).

In regards to photos, you don't have to be a pro, but for instance try to get like, the entire car in the shot. Here's some generally decent advice. https://driving.ca/features/feature-story/3-easy-tips-to-take-a-better-photos-for-your-for-sale-ad

I recommend going to a big open space like a parking lot so you can get sufficiently far away from the car to show it in a natural way.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tricky Ed posted:

You should always have a trusted mechanic look over a car before you buy it (It's called a PPI), and it's a red flag if the seller doesn't want to let you.

My recent experience (at least at the <$4000 range of the market) is that folks are either offended you even showed up to look at it without cash in hand and the means to take it home that night, or they'll agree to a sale conditional on a PPI and then sell it out from under you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Amorphous Abode posted:

Hello. What are the current go-tos for "no-hassle selling services?" I have a modern used car that I bought last year, but I can't drive it any longer because it had a strong cleanser fume problem in the cabin that I wasn't aware of when I bought it that was burning my lungs and further complicating my health problems. I did what I could to clean the cabin myself and the car is much safer now but at this point my health has deteriorated to the point I don't feel I can afford any more contact with it. Right now I feel like burying myself in another lease is a bad idea so I don't want to trade it in, just sell it. What are my best options?

Bump? I was the one that sent them to this thread. Is Carmax still a safe bet if they have them in their area? Seems like Carvana is imploding and Vroom is a poo poo show.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I sold a car to carvana about 2 months ago and it went swimmingly. Maybe it’s a poop show now?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

remigious posted:

I sold a car to carvana about 2 months ago and it went swimmingly. Maybe it’s a poop show now?

Here's what I'm talking about. Maybe selling is still going okay?

Neo_Crimson posted:

So uh this is happening in my state. I find this out literally an hour after I schedule for Carvana to buy my car and pick up on Friday. Now I'm wondering if the physical check I asked for them to give me will even go through. This wouldn't be that bad but I'm literally in the middle of trying to buy another car from another state. :suicide:

I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment and try to sell the car myself.

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, I imagine there's a little less pep in that step for the folks who are left.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carvana-layoffs-2500-workers-zoom-email/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Amorphous Abode posted:

I got offers from nearly all of them and the best offer was Driveway. They’re a little slow on communication so at times it can seem like nothing is happening but everything went through fine. Took about a month from accepting their offer to them picking up the car IIRC.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Man I know everyone had been saying this for a long while, but I hadn't experienced it myself: car shopping right now is not fun at all.

I've just started kicking tires and searching in the last few months and yea around where I'm at in Vancouver, BC there's no new product at all and apparently a 6 month wait for new cars ensures that used stuff is scarce and expensive. No dealers have new stock at all.

(I'm in Canada but translating some Canadian prices I'm seeing to USD/Imperial for better context)

The cheapest possible hatchbacks around are US$4500 for something with 155k miles on it. Stuff with a more reasonable ~60k miles are like US$15k.

Not sure if that's a similar story in the USA or if here in Canada we have our own factors tilting things one way or the other.

If you want to buy some "cheap" shitbox hatchback it would be practically difficult to do so as there simply aren't much of any around.

From what I've seen, I suspect the price curve is such that the most scarce and relatively expensive are actually what are normally the cheapest products and it could be a bit better of a deal (less of a ripoff really) with what are normally the somewhat more expensive cars.

For example you can get a 2016-2018 Golf GTI with low-medium mileage for USD$23k. That feels like a better deal and much more appealing to me than a high mileage regular VW Golf for only $8k less.

Just checking and the gap between the MSRP of new Golf GTIs vs new Golfs used to be ~C$10k. Now with the used prices I'm seeing the gap is more ~C$5k-8k. So likely that the GTIs have stayed more similar to their pre-pandemic pricing while all the cheaper golfs have relatively risen in price.

I've been looking around for a hatchback and I think either I pay more than I was expecting to for a nice GTI or I just don't buy a car at all and suffer with the car I currently have.

I was previously considering finding some "cheap" Golf or Mazda 3 Sport but I'm really not seeing much that's in good condition or that doesn't feel very expensive for what it is.

I also liked the Golf GTI I test drove much more than the Mazda 3 Sport GT. The rear viewing angles of the Mazda 3 Sport are terrible.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I just cancelled the deal on the $19,996 2019 Toyota Corolla SE. Now I'm arranging a meetup with a private seller and a mobile mechanic to do the PPI of the car on site. This would be for the 2010 Honda Fit.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

I just cancelled the deal on the $19,996 2019 Toyota Corolla SE. Now I'm arranging a meetup with a private seller and a mobile mechanic to do the PPI of the car on site. This would be for the 2010 Honda Fit.

That seems like a great car for you!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Man I know everyone had been saying this for a long while, but I hadn't experienced it myself: car shopping right now is not fun at all.

I've just started kicking tires and searching in the last few months and yea around where I'm at in Vancouver, BC there's no new product at all and apparently a 6 month wait for new cars ensures that used stuff is scarce and expensive. No dealers have new stock at all.

(I'm in Canada but translating some Canadian prices I'm seeing to USD/Imperial for better context)

The cheapest possible hatchbacks around are US$4500 for something with 155k miles on it. Stuff with a more reasonable ~60k miles are like US$15k.

At those prices you're better off doing an engine/transmission swap/rebuild

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You can get popular new cars faster than 6 months if you want to call dealers daily until you find one with a buyer backing out on delivery. I bought two extremely hard to find Tacoma trims during covid and the second one I bought after Toyota started closing its plants.

not being picky about color helped. It took about a month of searching online everyday to find each one. The first was on the lot and the second was arriving in a week. The ratio of no to yes was probably 1 in 20 calls. And some of those positive responses were marked up so it took me even longer to find msrp

it’s definitely miserable af but you if you’re committed enough you can find popular cars

Also the dealers are all going to say it’s a 6 months wait unless they literally have one available. It’s basically their disclaimer that they really don’t know that much with relative certainty

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

ethanol posted:

You can get popular new cars faster than 6 months if you want to call dealers daily until you find one with a buyer backing out on delivery. I bought two extremely hard to find Tacoma trims during covid and the second one I bought after Toyota started closing its plants.

not being picky about color helped. It took about a month of searching online everyday to find each one. The first was on the lot and the second was arriving in a week. The ratio of no to yes was probably 1 in 20 calls. And some of those positive responses were marked up so it took me even longer to find msrp

it’s definitely miserable af but you if you’re committed enough you can find popular cars

Also the dealers are all going to say it’s a 6 months wait unless they literally have one available. It’s basically their disclaimer that they really don’t know that much with relative certainty

Thanks for this. I have a friend looking to buy a new Highlander and I'm trying to pass along as much info as I can about the current absurd market. If you have any other tips feel free to share.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Abandon your wallet all ye who enter here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Abandon your wallet all ye who enter here.

New thread title?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much of a loss I am going to get if I buy a used car then decide I don't like it a few months later and want to sell it or trade it in?

For example, I'm looking at anything from a BMW 2 Series Convertible or something more practical like a Mazda CX-5.

Edit - Should have been more specific. My budget is ideally $22-26k with a $4-8k down payment. I'm assuming I couldn't lose more than a couple grand in a year - right?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our 7 series, classically the poster child for limitless and instant depreciation, has been an appreciating asset despite the miles we put on it

If you buy a Honda or Toyota, should be doing pretty good

Are you accounting for inflation or are we talking real dollars? I think with inflation my 7 series has lost maybe 2% in real purchasing power

Past results do not guarantee future returns

Also I'd check your crystal ball for a second option

Don't forget about paying taxes + registration + inspection etc (TTL) a second time depends on your state but that's another $1000 typically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Don't forget about paying taxes + registration + inspection etc (TTL) a second time depends on your state but that's another $1000 typically
In my state you pay the difference in tax on your sold vehicle and your new vehicle if you do a plate transfer. The dmv won’t say anything if you don’t fill in the registration with the math already done, so a lot of people don’t know about that.