Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

synapse posted:

oh my god lmao:
- Financing up to 125% LTV on cars
- Loan terms up to 144 months

That escalated quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I didn’t like it when my CU started selling member info to third parties but I was really unhappy when they started co-branding used car extended warranties, unrelated to auto loans.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

That escalated quickly

Funny how there's no mention of any interest rates.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Finalized the purchase on the Honda Fit. When the mechanic looked at it he said the car was practically brand new with 150k miles, except for the tire pressure monitor which needs a fix. Carfax gave an estimate of $9k for the car but I only paid $7.5k. The owner was also cool and saved me money with the title change.

Thanks a lot for the help thread, you potentially saved me a ton of money!

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 26, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Congrats. It'll be a great car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

quarantinethepast posted:

Finalized the purchase on the Honda Fit. When the mechanic looked at it he said the car was practically brand new with 150k miles, except for the tire pressure monitor which needs a fix. Carfax gave an estimate of $9k for the car but I only paid $7.5k. The owner was also cool and saved me money with the title change.

I think you're gonna be really happy with the Honda Fit. Those are awesome cars, they probably stopped offering them with leather trim in the US because they were cannibalizing Accord sales

See if you can make it through the first year with less than $3000 in maintenance (very likely) and then just drive it until the wheels fall off, change the oil at least once a year

Report back if you hear any squealing or rattling

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Honda Fit is a miracle of low TCO. My friend bought a 2015 or something new and is just driving the drat wheels off. Initial purchase price was dirt cheap in 2015 dollars considering what you got with a mid trim, and he doesn’t maintain a god drat thing besides oil changes. I’ll try to convince him to change plugs at some point but it runs fine. It’s not extremely comfortable or anything but again the TCO is indescribably low for a developed world vehicle. Second only to Prius for a reasonable vehicle with low TCO, and Prius is expensive.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

The Honda Fit is a miracle of low TCO. My friend bought a 2015 or something new and is just driving the drat wheels off. Initial purchase price was dirt cheap in 2015 dollars considering what you got with a mid trim, and he doesn’t maintain a god drat thing besides oil changes. I’ll try to convince him to change plugs at some point but it runs fine. It’s not extremely comfortable or anything but again the TCO is indescribably low for a developed world vehicle. Second only to Prius for a reasonable vehicle with low TCO, and Prius is expensive.

I bought a 2016 Honda Civic new. I have not had to do anything really but change the oil. Every time I check the brakes, the pads are still OK. I actually took it to a mechanic not two months ago and asked if I needed to change the spark plugs, and the guy told me the iridium spark plugs had AT LEAST one more year on them before they needed replacement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

I probably posted about my beater Fit before here. I got it for like $600 and drove enough already that if I had to scrap it now, it would've cost me less than 5c/km. The normal depreciation here is like 20c/km so if I ever had to use it on a business trip, I'd be making mad money. Although some things did go wrong on me (the alternator and washer pump died), most parts seem to be dirt cheap especially aftermarket and particularly if you can swap some of them yourself.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

quarantinethepast posted:

Fits are great cars, I bought a 2012 new and put 130K miles on it and nothing ever broke, nothing. I did front brakes, a battery, a set of tires and serviced the transmission right before I traded it in, that’s it. If my circumstances hadn’t changed, I’d still be driving it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the only thing really wrong with the fit in the first generation (other than they never made a Fit Si with a turbo L15) was that it had some water management problems that caused bad rusting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dpkg chopra posted:

Funny how there's no mention of any interest rates.

.01 below the maximum allowed in the state I'm sure

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I could really use some advice on buying a new car in TYOOL 2022.

Proposed Budget:
~30,000$. Under 20,000 would be ideal but probably not realistic.

New or Used:
Newer than 2018, Under 60-70k Miles. Guessing new is the way to go right now judging by used car listings?

Body Style:
Crew Cab Truck

How will you be using the car?
I no longer have to commute into work, so mainly running errands and travel. Previously owned a 2014 Jeep Patriot I unexpectedly really liked and now greatly miss, it was great for camping, light duty towing (like utility trailer or rental landscaping stuff), carrying a full kayak on the roof rack, chucking a bicycle or two in the back, or going to Menards and buying 400 pounds of stone blocks. These are things I really miss being able to do.

Looking forward I'd like to do some extended RV travel trailer stuff. Previously thought I'd try to buy an Escape 5.0 fifth wheel trailer, but buying an F150 doesn't seem to be super feasible right now. Been looking at light duty trucks instead and recently been enamored with the hybrid Maverick. Seems like it'll mostly do what I want, get good MPGs, has a crew cab for camping gear etc. Downside seems to be limited towing capacity (2K lbs), and lack of 4WD (would like to take it down forest service roads and some trails in Utah).

[b]What aspects are most important to you?[b/]

I would like a vehicle that would be able to tow something like the Aliner Expedition pop-up travel trailer, but I suspect the hybrid Maverick is probably inadequate for the task.

Long term this is the trailer I'd like to be able to tow, but that may not be feasible with my budget and this vehicle. Being able to tow the 1900 lb popup is probably good enough long term, since I think I might be able to get roof rails and strap 1-2 kayaks onto the popup. I just really want to be able to take my kayak out again.

I know gas is never going to be cheap again after the oil price inversion, hence the appeal of the Maverick. F150 Lightning would be great, but the waitlist is through the roof, and Rivian is just way too freakin expensive. Would really like adaptive cruise control and modern safety features like collision avoidance, figure it only takes one fuckup for it to pay for itself.

I recently contacted a dealer about Maverick inventory, and a local dealer reached out and said they might have a fully optioned Lariat available, depending on whether someone else bought it. Said I might be interested and wanted more info. Got the sticker tag and MSRP for Lariat Maverick was 33,275$. Dealer said they were charging 36,275. I haven't yet asked if he just bundled an extra optional warranty in that price or if I can at least get the Hank Hill Special... I thought Ford's CEO recently said dealers who gouge above MSRP would eventually be punished? Or is this the new normal?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Standard thread advice applies: now is a terrible time to buy a car so unless you NEED to don't do it.

If you want to take the Maverick offroad you should probably get the 2.0 4x4 which is not as good on gas but is a quite capable little truck. Plus, the tow capacity is better. You can tow your proposed pop-up no problem if you option the 4K tow package. I built an XLT for 28.5 including D&D, but I'd probably try to play the used quarter ton game. You can also look at gently used Rangers and Colorados if you are looking for a compact truck but really, a used quarter ton is probably the way to go. There's not a lot of cost savings to small trucks.

You're running errands and doing some travel. I don't think fuel cost should be a primary concern unless by travel you mean driving around the country and putting 15k miles a year on the thing - and if you're really doing that in an EV, you will suck down mainly relatively expensive DCFC electricity with any kind of EV. There's still a cost savings there but it's not that much since home off-peak charging is where EV cost advantages are a major play.

FYI towing and hauling with an EV has a quite significant range penalty. (It does for gas powered trucks as well to a lesser extent, but you can always fill a gas powered truck in 5 minutes almost anywhere in the country so it matters a lot less.) Think a 30% penalty at minimum, maybe as high as 60% depending on what you are towing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

I could really use some advice on buying a new car in TYOOL 2022.

Proposed Budget:
~30,000$. Under 20,000 would be ideal but probably not realistic.

New or Used:
Newer than 2018, Under 60-70k Miles. Guessing new is the way to go right now judging by used car listings?

Body Style:
Crew Cab Truck

How will you be using the car?
I no longer have to commute into work, so mainly running errands and travel. Previously owned a 2014 Jeep Patriot I unexpectedly really liked and now greatly miss, it was great for camping, light duty towing (like utility trailer or rental landscaping stuff), carrying a full kayak on the roof rack, chucking a bicycle or two in the back, or going to Menards and buying 400 pounds of stone blocks. These are things I really miss being able to do.

Looking forward I'd like to do some extended RV travel trailer stuff. Previously thought I'd try to buy an Escape 5.0 fifth wheel trailer, but buying an F150 doesn't seem to be super feasible right now. Been looking at light duty trucks instead and recently been enamored with the hybrid Maverick. Seems like it'll mostly do what I want, get good MPGs, has a crew cab for camping gear etc. Downside seems to be limited towing capacity (2K lbs), and lack of 4WD (would like to take it down forest service roads and some trails in Utah).

[b]What aspects are most important to you?[b/]

I would like a vehicle that would be able to tow something like the Aliner Expedition pop-up travel trailer, but I suspect the hybrid Maverick is probably inadequate for the task.

Long term this is the trailer I'd like to be able to tow, but that may not be feasible with my budget and this vehicle. Being able to tow the 1900 lb popup is probably good enough long term, since I think I might be able to get roof rails and strap 1-2 kayaks onto the popup. I just really want to be able to take my kayak out again.

I know gas is never going to be cheap again after the oil price inversion, hence the appeal of the Maverick. F150 Lightning would be great, but the waitlist is through the roof, and Rivian is just way too freakin expensive. Would really like adaptive cruise control and modern safety features like collision avoidance, figure it only takes one fuckup for it to pay for itself.

I recently contacted a dealer about Maverick inventory, and a local dealer reached out and said they might have a fully optioned Lariat available, depending on whether someone else bought it. Said I might be interested and wanted more info. Got the sticker tag and MSRP for Lariat Maverick was 33,275$. Dealer said they were charging 36,275. I haven't yet asked if he just bundled an extra optional warranty in that price or if I can at least get the Hank Hill Special... I thought Ford's CEO recently said dealers who gouge above MSRP would eventually be punished? Or is this the new normal?
welcome.. the pick up truck market is all kinds of messed up. I am biased as a tacoma owner, but I suggest a new tacoma SR5 ~36k (probably a little more) since used prices are so close to that (and if you're taking a loan on a 30k used car, used car interest rates will close that gap even more). Or pony up even more for a new full size. Otherwise wait if you can and reassess the market. There are three very large benefits to waiting: 1) more hybrid pickups are entering the market, 2) price stabilization in auto and oil markets (maybe), 3.) you hopefully won't feel like you're being strong armed into spending 35k+ and still feeling like you got shortchanged

Never driven a maverick myself but I see them out and about and they just look too small to be useful as a pickup imo.

in terms of offroad the tacoma is a much better choice, but also caveated by how much you actually will use that capability. The SR5 is going to be far more capable than a maverick in any regard offroad though. When I was truck buying, it became obvious the tacoma base trims levels were much better offroad, with ford chevy and gm needing thousands of dollars in trim packages to compete, putting their price often above the tacoma trd off-road trim package (what i ended up with). You say you're in Utah though.. so sounds like you definitely are in the right region for a more capable truck.

the ranger is a solid choice as well. Again if you want that to just barely match the base offroad features in a tacoma, you'll need to spend more in options than a tacoma to do it.

My suggestion is to also be generous with tow rating. If you decide you want to tow a lot you'll always be able to with a full size, it's going to be way more comfortable all around even with smaller loads. Whereas the midsize and below get squirrelly very quickly

Yeah but if you get sucked into that holy grail vortex of towing heavy duty AND off road features abandon ye wallet

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 31, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
If you're looking at pickup-shaped cars with the towing capacity of a subcompact crossover, maybe just get the crossover? They'll tow a pup just the same, and roof racks, bike racks, and utility trailers are all cheap compared to the premium you pay for a (short) bed.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 31, 2022

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Baronash posted:

If you're looking at pickup-shaped cars with the towing capacity of a subcompact crossover, maybe just get the crossover? They'll tow a pup just the same, and roof racks, bike racks, and utility trailers are all cheap compared to the premium you pay for a (short) bed.

Maybe that's the correct answer... it's basically what I had previously and really liked. There's a few reasons (including possibly moving soon) that lend me to wanting a truck shaped vehicle, but a crossover should handily accomplish my light duty utility wishlist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Standard thread advice applies: now is a terrible time to buy a car so unless you NEED to don't do it.

If you want to take the Maverick offroad you should probably get the 2.0 4x4 which is not as good on gas but is a quite capable little truck. Plus, the tow capacity is better. You can tow your proposed pop-up no problem if you option the 4K tow package. I built an XLT for 28.5 including D&D, but I'd probably try to play the used quarter ton game. You can also look at gently used Rangers and Colorados if you are looking for a compact truck but really, a used quarter ton is probably the way to go. There's not a lot of cost savings to small trucks.

You're running errands and doing some travel. I don't think fuel cost should be a primary concern unless by travel you mean driving around the country and putting 15k miles a year on the thing - and if you're really doing that in an EV, you will suck down mainly relatively expensive DCFC electricity with any kind of EV. There's still a cost savings there but it's not that much since home off-peak charging is where EV cost advantages are a major play.

FYI towing and hauling with an EV has a quite significant range penalty. (It does for gas powered trucks as well to a lesser extent, but you can always fill a gas powered truck in 5 minutes almost anywhere in the country so it matters a lot less.) Think a 30% penalty at minimum, maybe as high as 60% depending on what you are towing.

Thanks! That's a good point on mileage. I think you're right, may just have to deal with things for now and keep waiting. That's a really good point about EV limitations, plus the charger distribution network not being up to snuff because of a lack of fully standardized plugs. I think my math on the F150 lightning was roughly 100 miles per charge on towing, which isn't exactly great to say the least. I'm just so excited for the future to be now... for years I've been telling myself my next vehicle will be an EV. I'll expand my scope out to regular quarter ton & half ton pickups, that should catch more of what I'm really looking for.

For reference, the wife and I are sharing a Nissan Versa Note, which is mostly a great vehicle for us, but just doesn't have a roof rack and tow hitch, and doesn't like it when I pack 300 lbs of retaining wall blocks into the trunk. I think I can get a roof rack for the versa note, which might solve my kayak transport woes for now.

ethanol posted:

welcome.. the pick up truck market is all kinds of messed up. I am biased as a tacoma owner, but I suggest a new tacoma SR5 ~36k (probably a little more) since used prices are so close to that (and if you're taking a loan on a 30k used car, used car interest rates will close that gap even more). Or pony up even more for a new full size. Otherwise wait if you can and reassess the market. There are three very large benefits to waiting: 1) more hybrid pickups are entering the market, 2) price stabilization in auto and oil markets (maybe), 3.) you hopefully won't feel like you're being strong armed into spending 35k+ and still feeling like you got shortchanged

Never driven a maverick myself but I see them out and about and they just look too small to be useful as a pickup imo.

in terms of offroad the tacoma is a much better choice, but also caveated by how much you actually will use that capability. The SR5 is going to be far more capable than a maverick in any regard offroad though. When I was truck buying, it became obvious the tacoma base trims levels were much better offroad, with ford chevy and gm needing thousands of dollars in trim packages to compete, putting their price often above the tacoma trd off-road trim package (what i ended up with). You say you're in Utah though.. so sounds like you definitely are in the right region for a more capable truck.

the ranger is a solid choice as well. Again if you want that to just barely match the base offroad features in a tacoma, you'll need to spend more in options than a tacoma to do it.

My suggestion is to also be generous with tow rating. If you decide you want to tow a lot you'll always be able to with a full size, it's going to be way more comfortable all around even with smaller loads. Whereas the midsize and below get squirrelly very quickly

Yeah but if you get sucked into that holy grail vortex of towing heavy duty AND off road features abandon ye wallet

I really should look at Tacomas, thank you! I'll add those to my list, sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for. I was pretty hung up on mpgs, but you guys are right -- there's too many compromises for not really any benefit in how I want to use it. I'm actually in Ohio, there are just a number of forest service type roads I really want to take a vehicle (and maybe possibly small off road camper) down, especially in the Southwest with BLM land. Nothing really crazy, and probably doable with 2wd, but not some place I want to get stuck without cellular service. And you're right, towing isn't something I should be loving around with razor thin margins.

I'll pass on this Maverick and do some more poking around. Thanks everyone, that was extremely helpful to get some outside perspectives before I barreled into another bad decision. I think I have a better direction now.
I realize this is probably an extremely stupid question, but is there any speculation on how much longer this market imbalance is going to last?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Through 2023? Possibly forever?

The Tacoma is a great truck in many ways but you pay quite a premium for it. If you do go the taco route buy new.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Through 2023? Possibly forever?

Yeah, short of a massive recession that flips the tables again, it's going to be a long time before anyone feels like giving up the margins they've been getting for the past year+. Manufacturers are probably going to bake a bit more into MSRP.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The cool thing about inflation is that it's effectively a permanent (regressive) sales tax on everything forever

Enjoy $5/gallon gas for the rest of your life

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

The cool thing about inflation is that it's effectively a permanent (regressive) sales tax on everything forever

Enjoy $5/gallon gas for the rest of your life

My understanding is that in the long run (after wages adjust), inflation is generally progressive because it devalues debt.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

KillHour posted:

(after wages adjust)
lol

Anyway, that debt devaluation would only be true if inflation outpaces existing, fixed interest rates. That might be true today for a lot of the rock bottom lending rates issued in the past few years with poo poo like <2% mortgages.

But that sounds a lot like the rich get richer to me while any new future homebuyers will be getting their mortgages/car loans with the high inflation/uncertainty taken into account for the loan rates and won't see any benefit. The lenders are getting screwed by high inflation devaluing their existing loans: they're not about to do anybody a favor by issuing new loans at a loss like that.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 1, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's mostly true in the sense that existing debt is devalued. The people with the lowest net worths (because they're in the hole) will suddenly be less in the hole, relatively speaking. This will probably matter a lot for people with student loans. The people who own that debt are the losers.

As an example of why this is true, think about the opposite situation where there's deflation - if your mortgaged house is suddenly worth less than what you owe on it because the value of the home relative to your debt falls, that hurts people and helps banks.

Not coincidentally, rich people tend to maintain more debt than they otherwise need to as a hedge on inflation.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 1, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This probably isn't really the thread, but yeah, mid to high single digit inflation rate does benefit debtors by devaluing what they've borrowed without collapsing the economy as a whole. But the loudest people politically (as a group) are upper middle class people with savings so you will endlessly hear about how they are suffering.

The canary in the coal mine on inflation was lower income workers suddenly finding they had market power, and the narrative on that became that workers weren't willing to sacrifice for business owners.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

My understanding is that in the long run (after wages adjust), inflation is generally progressive because it devalues debt.

So long as you're in the income bracket to acquire (acquire more) real estate. If you're in the 88th and below percentile it sort of slaps your bank account and laughs a deep hollow laugh

Clearly the solution is to be in the 89th percentile, but for whatever reason they don't teach this One Weird Trick in school, so is mostly ignored

edit: please change back your avatar it was much better before

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, short of a massive recession that flips the tables again, it's going to be a long time before anyone feels like giving up the margins they've been getting for the past year+. Manufacturers are probably going to bake a bit more into MSRP.

I suspect that even when production capacity returns, the car industry is going to manage production & inventory more carefully, to make sure there's no supply glut. I miss the days when manufacturers (at least US domestics) had to put a huge pile of cash on the hood to move excess inventory at the end of the model year. I don't think I'll ever again see new Corvettes going for $39,995 after 10k in rebates and discounts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I suspect that even when production capacity returns, the car industry is going to manage production & inventory more carefully, to make sure there's no supply glut. I miss the days when manufacturers (at least US domestics) had to put a huge pile of cash on the hood to move excess inventory at the end of the model year. I don't think I'll ever again see new Corvettes going for $39,995 after 10k in rebates and discounts.

You probably won't even see a V8 Camaro at that price.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
My 36 mo lease for my 2020 Subaru Forester is running out in November and I want to get a jump on it. I'm getting very frequent emails from the dealer about turning it in sooner than later.

Current payment per month : $320
Total of payments once lease is run out : $14,300
Value of vehicle when I leased : $29k
Mileage : 13k (lol)
Est. purchase price : $19k
KBB estimate on current vehicle : $30k
New car purchase price for same trim package/vehicle: $42k

I obviously don't drive much but I'd like to stick with a Forester. My current plan is to just buy out the lease with a 60m loan so my payments would be about the same. I could buy it outright for cash but I'd like to save that as I'm building a house and need the cash for furniture and poo poo, but probably not until this time next year. But if I'm missing something and buying the car outright and trading it in for a new one when one is available, is it a better option? I could make it work if it's leaving a bunch of cash on the table. I'm just not saavy enough to see it. I don't really have any other debt besides the houses.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah your leased car is worth more now than it was at the beginning of the term, if you don't buy out your lease you're leaving a lot of money on the table, which is a major reason why the dealer wants it back, so they can turn around and sell it for $5k $10k above your buy out price. Rates are going up so it's possible you might save more money buying out the lease early

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the market is the market but dealers want you to come back to do things with them all the time regardless of the market because that’s what they do? Kind of hard for them to gently caress you if you never walk through the door.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They are baseline annoying about leases because any transaction is a good transaction when it comes to closing out. They are exceptionally annoying about leases right now because they are desperate even if you buy it out and sell it right back to them toward a new lease or purchase.

If you want to live to lease life you'll buy it and trade it in toward the next lease. If you want to get out of lease life, which now is a really good time to do so in the market if you have any doubts about lease life, best option is to buy it and use it else if you really have a hankering for new cars you can buy it and trade it for the new car.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
If it was the before times, I would just sign a new lease. I work from home and don't drive far most days. I like the cheap payments and not having to do repairs. I just wanted to use the cash on hand for other things next year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a lease is an alternate financing method where you finance the depreciation of the car over a certain set term in years and miles. you probably paid for at minimum 30k miles of depreciation and used 13k. not driving a lot does not make you a good lease candidate inherently unless your lease terms match your driving patterns.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
got a CPO 2019 elantra with 29k miles for 19k on memorial day, which is somewhere between 2-5k off KBB, weird that i am happy that i paid MSRP for a used car

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

ethanol posted:

You can get popular new cars faster than 6 months if you want to call dealers daily until you find one with a buyer backing out on delivery. I bought two extremely hard to find Tacoma trims during covid and the second one I bought after Toyota started closing its plants.

not being picky about color helped. It took about a month of searching online everyday to find each one. The first was on the lot and the second was arriving in a week. The ratio of no to yes was probably 1 in 20 calls. And some of those positive responses were marked up so it took me even longer to find msrp

it’s definitely miserable af but you if you’re committed enough you can find popular cars

Also the dealers are all going to say it’s a 6 months wait unless they literally have one available. It’s basically their disclaimer that they really don’t know that much with relative certainty

Wanted to thank you again for this. My friend managed to score a Highlander hybrid yesterday after less than a month of active searching. Regularly calling dealers in a large radius until one got an order cancellation (business customer who had ordered a different color, and apparently color mattered a lot to the business). Wasn't my friend's top color choice, but he knew he had to jump on it. Got it for MSRP.

After the sale was completed, the salesman said that their hybrids all sell less than an hour after they get an allocation. It's crazy out there, but patience is key if you can afford to wait.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

Wanted to thank you again for this. My friend managed to score a Highlander hybrid yesterday after less than a month of active searching. Regularly calling dealers in a large radius until one got an order cancellation (business customer who had ordered a different color, and apparently color mattered a lot to the business). Wasn't my friend's top color choice, but he knew he had to jump on it. Got it for MSRP.

After the sale was completed, the salesman said that their hybrids all sell less than an hour after they get an allocation. It's crazy out there, but patience is key if you can afford to wait.

Nice, glad to hear it. It's certainly not fun talking to that many salesman but it is effective!

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I'm getting spammed by Mopar for an extended warranty for my Pacifica Pinnacle. I've been ignoring them out of hand, but is it actually worth getting, and am I throwing these things into the trash when I shouldn't out of ignorance?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

diadem posted:

I'm getting spammed by Mopar for an extended warranty for my Pacifica Pinnacle. I've been ignoring them out of hand, but is it actually worth getting, and am I throwing these things into the trash when I shouldn't out of ignorance?

They're not sending them to you because you're missing out on a great bargain. They're the ones that make money off it.

For most cars, the cost of repairs over the course of the warranty period will cost you less than the extended warranty itself. You're paying in advance for repairs you will never make.

Every once in a while, someone is extremely unlucky and their car breaks down a lot and thus the extended warranty actually saves them money. Those cases are rare.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Every once in a while, someone is extremely unlucky and their car breaks down a lot and thus the extended warranty actually saves them money. Those cases are rare.

And most states have lemon laws, which will take care of the most unreliable cars during the manufacturer's warranty period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Deteriorata posted:

They're not sending them to you because you're missing out on a great bargain. They're the ones that make money off it.

For most cars, the cost of repairs over the course of the warranty period will cost you less than the extended warranty itself. You're paying in advance for repairs you will never make.

The goon does have a Chrysler product.......